1,308 results
All reviews jerk chicken continental breakfast junior suite beach bar the banana bread hot tub seven mile beach patties two queen beds patty man standard room sun beach adult pool coffee maker beach security cocktail party red stripe
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I will make this short and sweet...this was the first time to Negril for my girlfriend and myself and we are so glad we stayed at Coco LaPalm. All of the favorable reviews are right on point. Everything is just like the pictures. I am very particular and judgementtal and rely on first impressions so needles to say we will definitely be going back to Coco Lapalm again and again. My one and only problem happened on the beach during our third day. My girlfriend and I had arranged two lounge chairs right next to each other and had placed our towels and personal belongings on them. We proceeded to enter the water and frolic around for a while when soon I noticed a man and woman taking pictures and then moving to the chairs we had set up. I knew what was going to happen next. They proceeded to make themselves comfortable by moving our belongings and sitting their a_ _ in 'our' chairs. Seeing this my girlfriend stormed out of the water with me in tow. Being the unpredictable person that I am and not wanting to end up in a Jamaican jail, I desperately tried to hold in my rage. Upon reaching the sand my girlfriend (Russian) verbally lit into them. They where obviously American as we are also, and they immediately stood up and apologized. My point is this...we have been to many resorts around the world and there is an un-written rule everywhere...when there is at least a towel on a chair never, ever move the beach or pool chair or move someones belongings from a chair for your own fat a_ _!!! Now that I have this off my chest...GO TO COCO LaPALM!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hammytyme
Reviewed 14 July 2009

First trip to Negril and after reading Trip Advisor reviews, chose Coco La Palm. This hotel is a great value for the money and a perfect location in the middle of 7 mile beach. The hotel grounds are beautifully kept, and the beach is deep and roomy. 2 pools and 2 restaurants are a convenience. There is affordable and good food at many locatios within walking distance.
We had a superior room (2 Queens) connecting to a Deluxe Room (1 King) and made our own suite at a fraction of the cost of an actual suite. The wet bar and refrigerator in the rooms are great. A/C worked well, except none in the bathroom, which can get pretty hot wth the door closed. The Superior Room has a covered patio, which was great during the inevitable brief afternoon rain showers. Security was good on the grounds and the beach. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Lots of solo travelers enjoying this resort as you pay by the room, not by the person. Joan gives a great 1 hour massage for $40 US. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank STLworktotravel
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Our Trip

My girlfriend and I were in Negril from the end of May to about a week into June. This was the best vacation I have ever taken and I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever take a vacation anywhere else.

How can you not love Jamaica?

It seems in reading reviews here and elsewhere it's either you love it or you hate it. It seems like those who didn't like Jamaica are picky, whiny and probably shoudln't have gone in the first place. If you want to go to the Four Seasons or Disney World then don't go to Jamaica...common sense people. I see reviews like I hated my vacation because I was offered pot. I hated my vacation because the ketchup tasted wierd, etc. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! For the most part it seemed like the people I met were repeat visitiors and loved it. Also, I can tell from people I met down there and from these boards there's a certain type of person who goes to Jamaica and more specifically Negril and that's exactly my type of person, I absolutely loved it and met some really cool people.

Our Flight and Transfer from Airport to Negril

My girlfriend and I flew down on Air Jamaica, had a good flight and got there right on time. Make sure you bring a pen to fill out customs papers, my gf and I had never been out of the country and didn't know about this and pens are hard to come by at the airport when you get there.

Our itinerary showed we had a free shuttle from the airport to zone G in Negril whatever that means. I showed our paper to someone and they wound up getting us set up with a JUTA shuttle, only problem was they made us pay $36 for it. I'm still unsure whether we had one included or not but for others traveling if your itinerary shows you have a free shuttle look into the details of that before getting down there as I think I probably just went to the wrong desk or something.

Chicken was our driver on our way to Negril, he was entertaining, along the drive he pointed out some places where movies were shot, some famous peoples houses, etc, and made the drive entertaining. We stopped along the way and got some Redstripes and jerk chicken. He then droppe d us off at CoCo La Palm where we stayed.

CoCo La Palm

We absolutely loved CoCo La Palm. We had a standard room, we loved the hotel and loved our room. We were a few steps from the pool as well as only a few steps from the restaurant and the beach. Not that you spend much time in your room but it was very nice, very clean, no bugs which is something my gf was concerend about. Honestly we didn't see a single bug the entire time down there which she was very happy about. The rooms have a flat screen tv, mini fridges to keep beer, water and leftovers cold, a coffee maker with blue mountain coffee, evrything you need. We thought it was cool how you don't have windows, just screens and wooden shutters your able to close and lock. All the staff was very friendly, nice and helpful from the landscapers to the restaurants staff to the maids. The restaurant was good was well. You get a free continental breakfast however if you prefer you can get a credit of $7 or $8 towards something on the menu and most everything on the breakfast menu is under that amount so you essentially get a free breakfast everday. The bannana pancakes and orange french toast are both delicious. The coffee is wonderful too. We had the same two waiters at breakfast everday and they were awesome.

They have a pool and hottub though we spent most of our time on the beach. They have a nice little beachside restaurant where you can get snacks, lunch or a Ting during the day. By the way, if you havn't tried Ting it's awesome. They also have two security guys on the beach so if you want to by something or talk to a merchant great, if not they will keep them from bothering you.

Also, on Monday nights they have a party for their guests, free drinks and free appetizers. It was a lot of fun and we met a lot of other nice people staying at our hotel. I definately recommend checking this out.

The Beach

The beach is awesome. CoCo La Palm is in my opinion probably the best location, you seem to be right in the middle of everything. Some people may be annoyed by it but I thought it added to the experience that you have vendors selling fresh fruit, souvenirs, and anything else you might be interested in getting.

Do you get hassled on the beach?

My answer would be no, will people ask you to buy stuff...yes....if your not interested just say no and they will leave you alone if that's what you want. I personally think it's all about your attitude, some people let this ruin their vacation, I actually think it added to the atmosphere, it was kind of funny hearing some of the differnet sales pitches people used and talking to people while walking the beach. I admit it was almost comical the first day we got there I had about 15 people ask me to buy pot within about 5 minutes of walking down the beach with my gf, if your not interested just say no, why complain, it saves those who are intersted the trouble of looking...lol. One thing I would suggest is don't let anyone give you anything for free, some people will try to put a bracelet on your wrist or give you a ring, it's not free they will want money.

Like I said though, it's all about your attitude. Walking down the beach one day a guy asked me to look at his pictures, I told him no and he left it at that. A couple walking behind us sarcastically asked me if my vacation had been ruined yet. Apparently this guy decided his vacation was ruined because he was asked to buy souvenirs a few times. If your this type of person don't go to Jamaica. Honestly I live in Chicago and have just as many if not more people in Chicago bothering you on the street asking for money, asking for you to help some cause, giving you flyers to some club, etc.

Restaurants & Food

I would have liked to try more places to eat while we were down there but our stay was relatively short, plus we wound up finding a couple places where we really liked the food and staff and wanted to continue going there. On a side note my gf is a very picky eater and had no problem finding things and she loved the food. We ate a lot of our meals at CoCo La Palm. We also spend a lot of time at Sunset Beach Bar and Grill right next to For Real and not far from CCLP but I'll get into that below as it was my favorite place. One night we ate at Margaritaville to appease my gf,she wanted a cheeseburger and a fuity girly drink. I would have rather tried more authentic food but was actually surprised by Margaritaville, the prices were reasonable and the food was pretty good as well, I got the fish and chips she got a burger, we both liked our food. Best in the West has really good jerk chicken. We tried the Palms one night it was nice and food was good but I thought it was very overpriced. If you want to go get a nice dinner in a nice setting and money isn't an issue though go for it. The setting is very nice, you eat on a deck above the beach, there's a pool right there to dip your feet in while you wait for your food. Food was pretty good, my only issue was dinner for myself and my gf after tip was over $70 I got seafood but she got pasta, just seemed like too much money for what we got. It was however a nice restaurant, the food was good, adn the staff was very friendly.

Sunset Beach Bar & Grill

This was by far my favorite place to spend my nights. Wandering down the beach one day Dennis The Menace approached us and asked us if we wanted to do watersports or take a tour and also mentioned they had a live band later that night. THey have live bands on Sundays and Thursdays. We had just gotten into town so wanted to relax on the beach but told him we'd stop by later for drinks, we also decied right away we wanted to use him as our guide and driver the whole time as he seems very friendly and like a real nice guy. We stopped over after dinner, he made us feel right at home at the bar. They have a wonderful staff there as well, Sophie is one of the bartenders and she's awesome. The two other guys were great as well though I can't seem to remember there names.

The Redstripe is cheap, my gf is picky about her drinks but they made her a drink she really liked, I think they called it a fruit daquiri, they cut up fresh papaya, banannas, pineapple and blended it with rum, strong drink and tastes delicious. The live music was fun, Dennis the bartender and our guide is quite a singer as well. We got a kick out of how they do alot of American songs with a Jamaican twist, the reggae version of the Gambler was cool...lol. Most nights it was just us and a couple other people at the bar, we met a really nice English guy another cool guy from France we hung out with a little bit. They have these awesome plastic long chairs hung up on ropes you can swing from though I don't advise swinging after a lot of drinks...lol.

The food here is also delicoius, we had lunch and snacks there a few times, they have some good seafood bisques if you just want a light lunch. I had jerk chicken there one day, also very good, and they have good seafood as well.

Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace is AWESOME!!! I mentioned him earlier basically we met him on the beach, wound up going for drinks our first night and decided immediately we would use him the rest of our trip for trips and things.

The second day we wanted to get a cell phone and some groceries so he took us into town. He took care of us and made sure everyone gave us good prices not tourist prices, we stopped at the digicel store as well as the grocery store. He explained the phones and how they worked. It was also great having him with us as anytime someone was about to ask us for money or anything he was right there waiving them away before they even tried. After our shopping he took us up to the lighthouse and the cliffs and showed us a few cool spots, let us sit in the hammocks and hang out for a while, also took us to a little bar and let us have a few drinks before we headed back.

Dennis also took us to Mayfield Falls. He is a great guide, he stopped along the way and showed us Peter Tosh's town, he also stopped along the way and let us take pictures of the sugar cane fields. He would also stop and show us certain plants and things, let us smell them, try the fruits, etc. He's also a very safe driver unlike some people down there. At the falls he made sure we got the best guide. If you go try to get Comfy, not sure if I spelled it right but Comfy as in short for comfortable. ALl the guides seemed nice but this guy went the extra mile, he climed a tree to get some Jamaican apples for us to try. You gotta try them, its a mixture between and apple and pear texture with a bit of a rasberry and apple taste. He also showed us a lot of other plants and things. He carried a watertight bag and carried my smokes and our water and cameras. He is also quite the photographer, he took a million pictures, he also had us pose for shots we would have otherwise probably not gotten. He also showed us some cool spots along the falls like a rock crevice you can jump into go under rocks and it spits you out down the falls, he also showed us some cool places to go under the falls and jump off of trees and platforms, I'll psot some pics if I can figure out how. The water is amazing. Since it was slow we had him all to ourselves and didn' run into anyone else our entire way up the falls. When we got home we had a ton of good pictures from him. At the end he took us to hang out in a hut and have a few drinks before heading back.

On the way back Dennis stopped at a river and showed us some caves, the river and we also took a short tour to view some of the local agriculture. On the way back he took us a long way back and showed us some different parishes and towns.

I can't say enough about how awesome Dennis and Comfy were. I definately recommend getting a good guide, someone nice friendly and someone you trust. Another couple we talked to went with another guy they met on the street and they didn't have a good time. They said the guy kind of rushed them through everything and pretty much just wanted to get their money and get the tour over with, Dennis made the day awesome and truly went out of his way to make sure we had a good time.

We also wanted to check out Ricks one night. Dennis offered to drive us up there and pick us up after dinner and the sunset for no charge. It wound up raining longer than normal that afternoon so we didn't wind up going but had dinner at CCLP and went to Dennis's for drinks after dinner.

At the end of the trip we had Dennis drive us to the airport. THe night before we left I mentioned to Dennis I hadn't had a chance to try a patti. WHen he showed up to pick us up at the airport he had pattis and coco bread for my gf and I.

I can't say enough about how awesome he was, I would HIGHLY recommend him. He's a very nice guy and goes out of his way to make sure you have a good time. He'll also get you anything you need, I mentioned I wanted some good blue mountain coffee, the next day I went to the bar he had 2 pounds of coffee for a great price he had gotten for me from a friend of his. If you want to go on a daytrip, or just want a ride into town or need help finding something I highly recommend him. His cell phone number is [--]. He also does many other tours such as all waterfalls, Rum Tour, Bamboo Ave, Port Antonio, Blue Mountains, and Dunns River are al mentioned on his card but I"m sure he'll take you anywhere you want to go.

Misc Advice

I did a ton of research before heading out to Jamaica and still was unclear about a few things so just figured I would mention some things I noticed that may be helpful to someone else who is heading to Jamaica for their first time.

Bring a pen on the plane to fill out customs paperwork.

It's okay to drink the water, I heard this before going but figured better be safe than sorry after a few days we got tired of carrying around waterbottles so drank water the rest of the time and didn't have any problems.

No problems with bugs. We had heard about sandfleas and read some reviews that complained of bugs. THe most I saw the entire time down there was a fly here and there, no mosquitos, no sandfleas, etc.

Bring Jamaican money with you, you tend to pay more if you pay in US, plus you don't have to figure out exchange rates. Bring lots of small change as many people will just keep your change if you don't pay in small denominations.

For those considering an all inclusive, that's the route my gf wanted to go, I talked her out of it because I wanted to try local food and just didn't want to go AI. This is just my take on it but from talking to other travelers it seems like food and drinks at AI can be mediocre depending on where you go. ALso, you tend to not to want to leave your resort since you already paid for your food and drinks. I actually ran into a "local celebrity" from my city. At first my gf said it wasn't who I thought it was because as my gf said "why would they stay at CCLP and not some ritzy AI" We asked this person and they said AI to them means All Mediocre and said they loved CCLP, best place on the beach and this person I would imagine has money to stay wherever they want to.

Befriend a local. By meeting Dennis we saw so many things we would have never known to see on our own. You also learn so much about the people, culture, what locals lives our like, just basically stuff you wouldn't learn sitting on the beach only hanging out with other tourists. ALso, he got me coffee and anything else I needed and made sure I got good prices on things.

Don't buy the first thing you see, shop around there's so much to see and your bound to find a better price somewhere. ALso don't be afraid to haggle, they will try to get as much money as you'll pay, if you haggle with them you can get the price down lower or get them to throw in some extra stuff.

My gf got a ton of massages while we were down there. I've seen on some websites and reviews people paying prices about the same as you would back home. My gf got several massages at our hotel and some others and from some people on the beach, it was usually around $30 for a half our although a half hour was closer to an actual hour.

Finally, stay as long as possible. I wish we would have stayed longer, about the time we were leaving I was finally learning my way around town, the way things worked, etc.

Johnny

22  Thank jamaicabound123123
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My husband and I stayed three nights at Coco La Palm on our first trip to Jamaica and Negril. We split our stay between three nights on the West End cliffs (separate review). We were most impressed with the staff at Coco. The security, water sports, housekeeping, maintenance, front desk, and restaurant/bar staff were all incredible and so helpful, but also gave us the privacy we were seeking.

We stayed in a Deluxe Room with a king size bed. The room was basic, but very clean and spacious. The refrigerator was nice to have and the coffee pot was good for that first morning cup before venturing out. There were plenty of towels and Marie from housekeeping kept them replenished and kept the room spotless during our entire stay. The sheets were a little scratchier than I'm used to, but I had no trouble sleeping. The location of our room was nice and quiet in the middle of the resort. The air conditioner worked well and the room temperature was comfortable for sleeping.

The food at breakfast was great and with the vouchers for continental it was only a few dollars per person to upgrade to a full breakfast. We had the ackee and saltfish, pancakes, french toast, and an omelette and all were great. Great view of the sea from the restaurant. We had dinner there one night and it was pretty good, but there wasn't anything I would return for. There are so many great places to eat nearby, including Best in the West across the street. The drinks at the bar were good and an excellent deal during Happy Hour from 5-7. We kept beer in our fridge and a bottle of rum, so we didn't buy very many drinks at the bar, but did have to try the Dirty Banana which was delicious. The bar next door at For Real had good drinks and the lowest price Red Stripe on the beach at $150 JA. We didn't eat at the beach grill because we bought patties and fruit from vendors for lunch.

The beach in front of Coco La Palm is nice and wide. There are plenty of chairs for everyone and shady spots to lie in under the seagrape and almond trees. The beach is raked clean each morning. In looking at other spots on our walks, we thought that this middle section of the beach is the nicest.

The gardens and grounds are very pretty and well-maintained. The pool looked clean, but I never used it as the sea was so nice. The hot tub is huge and very hot. We enjoyed it one evening until the heat was too much. We could sit on our patio and watch the hummingbirds and doctor birds in the trees by the room.

I read all the reviews before going and I have to agree with the positive ones. I can think of hardly any negatives about the resort--just the scratchy sheets and the mosquitoes, but the mosquitoes are certainly not under anyone's control. If I stay on the beach again, I would return to Coco La Palm.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Hettie15
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Where do I start? My wife and I decided on this place after reading all the great reviews on tripadvisor. Everything we read was absolutely correct! CocoLaPalm by far has the best beach on the entire "seven mile beach" of Negril. It is the perfect location right in the center. Plenty of chairs and shade. Also, the security is awesome. They were always there policing the beach allowing the guests to relax in comfort. So here are my TIPS:

BEACH: Enjoy the beach! The water is so blue and so clear. We found starfish, we saw a stingray, and we really enjoyed the snorkeling out at the reef. While laying on the beach you will also have many opportunities to have some great food for little cost. The lobster man brings fresh cooked lobster everyday for only $7. The patty guy has the best patties you will ever eat for only $1 a patty! Also, the fruit ladies bring fresh fruit everyday. Take advantage of this for sure! All of it was fresh and delicious and CHEAP!

BAR: CocoLaPalm has great bar service with Tyrane and Oneil! You must try the Dirty Banana but my favorite of the week was the Vodka Ting.....so cool and refreshing! The Jerk Chicken at the beach bar was great. Also, take advantage of 2 for 1 drinks every night from 5-7pm. And be sure to attend the Managers reception on Monday evening. Free food, drinks and good music too! For cheaper drinks go to the For Real Bar right next door and get a Red Stripe for half the price than CocoLaPalm.

FOOD: Their breakfast is the best! You get a complimentary voucher for a continental breakfast valued at $6 that you can apply towards a full breakfast if you want. You must try the Ackee and Saltfish. It only cost like $2 after the voucher. The Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee will also definately get you going in the morning. My wife liked the banana pancakes and they were delicious! For lunch, eat on the beach from the people passing by or......go across the street to Best in the West and have the BEST Jerk Chicken in Negril! It was inexpensive and delicious!!! Or you can walk just a minute walk down the beach to Chances and have some great pizza. Enough for 2 people for only $8 - $10 depending on the type of pizza you order. For dinner, we would do the same but sometimes we ate at the Marley's at CocoLaPalm. My wife LOVED the chicken soup that comes with the meals and so did I! DO NOT go to the grocery store to stock up on food and drinks. It is way OVERPRICED especially after the cab fair than just eating and drinking on the beach. You don't have to spend alot of money.

FUN: Go snorkeling and bring some food (bread, crackers) and you will see all kind of cool fish! Go to Mayfield Falls. Beautiful place and not too touristy and a quick ride. DO NOT go on a horseback ride in the jungle!! I repeat..DO NOT. Unless of course you want to be taken to a ganja farm. We booked that trip through a cab driver though so probably not the best idea. Stick to booking through the Hotel...you may pay a little more but at least it is safer and they know where you are. Go to Ricks Cafe and jump off the cliffs! So much fun! Call Ricks and they will send a shuttle for half the price of the hotel transportation or cab. Ricks is a little touristy but definately worth going to. Check out Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville a short walk down the beach. It is also touristy but during the day they have great music and for $20 "all you can drink" from 11am - 4pm. The Volcano Nachos are delicious and will feed 2 for only about $9.

ACCOMODATIONS: The rooms were sufficient. We upgraded to a beach front Junior Suite once we got to the hotel for only $20 additional a night versus the $75 expedia was asking. Great view! Beds aren't the softest but who cares after a great day on the beach. Property is immaculate. Pools were nice. Hot Tub is big and very nice surrounded by trees and vegetation. Very private. We really enjoyed the Hot Tub (except 2 nights it was so HOT you couldn't get in). The staff was very nice and very attentive to our needs all week. For the price, CocoLaPalm is unbeatable!

SUMMARY: If you are looking for a typical All-Inclusive resort with a party atmosphere and big crowds...DO NOT stay at CocoLaPalm! If you are looking for a peaceful laid back vacation, a nice atmosphere, good people and a great beach...CocoLaPalm is your place. If you really want All-Inclusive then do like I did and just give them your credit card and charge to the room. But my wife and I liked walking the beach and sampling other places without feeling guilty for not using all-inclusive priveleges like you do at other resorts. We loved everything and will definately be back! CocoLaPalm is the perfect size, the perfect place at the perfect destination on Negri's Seven Mile Beach. It is definately "Negril's Finest"

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple