“Another nice stay”

Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Charlottetown, Canada
“Another nice stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We have just come back from our 2nd trip to Couples Swept away, a 10 day visit this time. We love numerous aspects of this resort however a few still disappoint us. Without getting to a long drawn out story these are the plus's
1) The best beach in the Caribee
2) Staff was excellent, friendly. Special thanks to RENAE ROBINSON who is a sweetheart
3) Spa is wonderful
4) Food is excellent with various menus and choices, one of the best we have been at
5) Repeaters dinner was fantastic

minus's
1) check in experience is terrible, slow , disorganized and outdated
2) rooms needs a complete overhaul, they are more like 3 star quality
3) wifi is very slow and onyl sometimes does not work at all
4) better control of insects
5) grounds keeping could be improved

that is what you will experience if you go. we except the minus's to enjoy the beautiful beach and water. Is it expensive? yes. will we go back? probably

if you want further info contact me

3 Thank Ian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This was out 12th trip back to Couples Swept Away, and it was everything we expected and more! This time we went with another couple who never went to Jamaica, and to bring them to Swept Away they are spoiled already, they loved it!! The food is outstanding for an all-inclusive resort from the breakfast buffet to dinners at night. The drinks are amazing, and the bartendars are awesome, especially at the pool bar and bamboo bars, very friendly, and they make a heck of a drink!! The beach is paradise, just beautiful, the water is turquoise, and like a postacrd. You put up your green flag, and the drinks are brought out right to you on the beach, doesn't get better than that! The rooms have great verandas nice and big with couches, and fan above to make it comfortable, there's a mini bar with all the fixins-perfect!! The people here make it all worthwhile, they are wonderful, that's what brings us back again and again......Do try this resort, once you go, you'll know!!

Room Tip: We like the 2nd or 3rd floors for a great view, any room with the word "veranda" usually h...
2 Thank judydaisey1
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here for five night for a wedding. This resort has a wonderful beach. CSA provides a very intinimate setting for couple to just relax. Staff is very helpful and the bartenders are top notch.Overall this is a great resort.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antmitch901
Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2012

It was really hard to give this resort a review when we first went because we had never gone on a vacation like this before to compare it to. We just got back from Mexico yesterday, and I can now say that Couples Swept Away was AMAZING! The biggest thing I have to say is that the people who worked here were so nice and accommodated your every need. The food was so good, and I even got my husband to try new things while we were there! Definitely recommend the jerk chicken. The grill was open until 5am, which was great because we did go in the middle of the night to eat. The bars were never too full, and the one bartender, Romaine, at the swim up pool knew us by the first day. He knew what we wanted to drink and had it in front of us before we even sat down. My husband drinks Jack Daniels, which is an expensive whiskey, but they always had it. The only complaint was that the bars shut down so early. (I think so more people go to the restaurants.) We were never bored. All the watersports were included, which was a big deal for us. We did pay extra to do the parasailing, but it was worth what we paid. (And people on the boat will take pictures on your camera for you!) Our room was never dirty, and our mini bar was always stocked including hard liquor. We were on a bottom floor right at the stairs so during the night we did hear drunk people stumbling down the stairs, which was not a big deal. I love that the beach is right there and it is never too full. We definitely recommend the complimentary catamaran cruise! They take you out and let you slide off the boat and swim into a cave. It was a highlight of our trip! Everything was so organized and they made sure you knew the activites that were going on, and everything about the restaurants. It was just an overall amazing experience and would recommend this resort to anybody!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Amanda H
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 May 2012

CSA folks do so much to accommodate you, but there are problems. I am rating CSA 3.5 - slightly above average. A lot of my issues are with Jamaica, Negril, and the public beach, but CSA lies on this beach in Negril….in Jamaica.

DISCLAIMER - I will probably get some flak for this review, but most will or should admit that everything I wrote in this review is honest and true, there are not too many opinions, and I am right for the most part. I don’t have the same tolerance level as others I guess…..

My wife and I have been to Bora Bora and Cancun in the past year, so we can make comparisons. I liked Bora Bora the best, Cancun was great, and I will not return to Jamaica. I understand that comparing Bora Bora to Cancun or Jamaica is like comparing a supermodel to someone on page 16 of the JC Penny catalog (haha), but I bet places like Hawaii and Bora Bora are much more preferred for a reason. Save up your $$$ and go there instead. I was particularly surprised that Cancun was so much better than Jamaica, IMHO. In Cancun, they do harass you about time-shares, but it seemed easier to handle and ignore than the shady vendors on 7 mile long beach in Negril.

The Great --
The beach is beautiful. The resort spans far, so there is lots of sand and ocean to enjoy. The beach chair and Cabana game is overrated because the huts aren’t even that great. They are too low, and the palm trees provide a better shade any day. There is always a chair available. The floties are great to take in the water.

The lush grounds and layout are perfect. I understand what people say about no glam and glitz like Mexico, but the CSA layout is great in its own respect.

The Atrium suites are a probably the smartest idea CSA came up with, and I am glad we stayed in one. Get one on the second floor because our friends who stayed on the first floor below us had lots of ants in their rooms. They also had far less privacy. The tree frogs help you sleep well in the Atrium rooms.

Customer service is great. Everyone was very, very friendly and we got some hugs when we left. Shout-outs to Derman, Damon the Trainee, Kurt, and Cindy…as well as others. They are genuine and there is no language barrier, since they all speak English well. In Mexico, there was a little bit of a language barrier, and therefore, we could not be as engaging with them. In Bora Bora, there wasn't too much of a language barrier either.

Lemongrass is a nice restaurant above the Palms. Its ambience is 10 times better than Feathers. Feathers was located near Patois in a smallish room, and the food wasn't great.

The liquor kept coming, and they don't water it down!!! I love Red Stripe now, but the Bob Marleys were too much. The bartenders were the highlight of the trip. They make you happy, and they are not afraid to add top shelf - e.g., Crown Royal, Chivas Regal, etc. I kept drinking Pimp's Paradise because the concoction included mangos.

Aura night club was actually fun on Request Night. I did not go any other night, but my wife and her friend kept requesting song after song. I love how everyone got on the dance floor, skilled or not, and had fun.

The Good --
The Lemongrass layout was great, but the food was just good enough. It was Thai food, and provided something different from all the other meal options.

The Silverband Steel Drum show was pretty good. I expected loud banging (Blue Man Group?) and lots of drums, but they focused more on playing slick beats mimicking popular songs. Still, it was pretty damn good.

The Bonfire was good, but they could not get the fire going! Shyam was great, as he put me to sleep, in a good way.

The fish tacos at SeaGrapes and the banana stuffed French toast at Patois - both tasty!

The Okay --
The food was good to average at best. I was surprised that the food in Bora Bora and Cancun was better than Jamaica. Yes, the jerk chicken was tasty, but the lamb, chicken, steak, and pasta dishes were all just ok. There wasn't too much variety, or maybe there was, and I am too picky - haha. There are several different options for restaurants though. You will eat well, but the don't expect great food.

The Shipwrecked Beach Party was moved inside because of the rain, and it was kind of boring. I am actually not into the traditional Jamaican/African dance style. However, the effort is there you can tell, and that's well appreciated.

The entertainment overall was pretty weak. I don’t like live music when you can't hear the voices because they are drowned out by the music. Also, I did not know most of the songs. They did play some romantic songs (e.g., Saving all my love for you, Oh my darling love). CSA is a romantic place, so people of all ages can partake in the cheesy slow dancing :)

The less than okay -- dum, dum, dum….
Don't get me wrong, I am as American as apple pie, but there was hardly any diversity at this resort. It was almost all Americans! Beaches next door had a lot more diversity. I like to see, on vacation, all races and faces. It makes for a more diverse trip, and you learn so much from so many cultures. It adds more value to the conversations. I liked Cancun because of this, and Bora Bora was even better.

The saltwater in the Jamaican ocean was too much for me, and I am surprised others haven't commented on this. I enjoy doing flips in the ocean, and when I take water in accidentally, I don't mind it. The ocean water in Jamaica was so salty that I felt sick and wanted to throw up every time I took some in my nose or mouth. Maybe I am a pansy, but the ocean waters were a lot less salty in Cancun, and Bora Bora was like a swimming pool.

The vendors ruined the trip.....almost. I am surprised that the older folks on these posts don't complain more about the vendor harassment. Maybe it was because we are 34, 29, 25, and 25 years old that the vendors felt the need to ask us about jet skis, parasailing, and drugs every single day 4 times a day, but it was too much of a nuisance. In Bora Bora, there was no harassment, and there was no vendor harassment in Cancun either. I understand that Negril is a 7 mile long public beach, but if that is the case, I would rather go to a beach with no public access. Elvis, a name I have heard on these forums, became very agitated that we did not use him for jet skis. Simply ignore Elvis, the drug dealers, and any other vendors you do not want to deal with….don't even acknowledge their presence. I understand that Jamaica is an impoverished country, and the folks there have to do what they have to do, but we don't have to take it either. We all pay lots of $$$ to stay here, we should get the experience at a higher level.

In conclusion, Jamaica will continue to stay sunny and amazing, and I will miss the beautiful Jamaicans who serve with a smile. However, I will not return to the island any time soon....too many other places to see in this world.

Room Tip: Atrium suites - as many others have said.....
7 Thank BA_from_DC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
1.1 km away
44.2 km away
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
3.9 km away
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!