After viewing the resort's website and reading all the reviews for Royal Plantation, we decided to go there to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary. Every good thing that you read in the reviews is true! The staff is wonderful and we truly were treated royally.
I was concerned that the trip was off to a bad start when we learned the night before, through our travel agent, that our 6:00 a.m. flight on Air Jamaica was canceled. Had we not called our travel agent at 5:00 p.m. Saturday night, we would have shown up at the airport at 3:30 a.m. and found out there was no flight! Luckily, we were able to book a flight on U.S. Airways and, here's the best part- when we checked in, we got upgraded to First Class at no extra charge!
We were transported to the hotel by a van in which we were the only passengers and the trip took an hour and a half. You pass some rather depressing sights on the way but once at the resort, it is beautiful. We were checked in quickly and then given a tour by our butler, Germaine.. He escorted us to our room and even offered to unpack (and iron!) for us, which we declined. We had booked a luxury oceanfront suite but the next day we were upgraded (at no extra cost!) to the Honeymoon Grand suite on the West wing. It was gorgeous and very private. Germaine prepared a bubble bath with candles, flower petals and chilled champagne for us in the jacuzzi tub which is separate from the bathroom- true luxury. There is a double sink vanity in the bath area and a separate area for the toilet and tub/shower. This suite also has a large walk-in closet. The King size bed with canopy was so comfy. This suite has a TV in the bedroom and a TV in the living room area. We had breakfast one morning on the balcony overlooking the quiet section of beach which we were told, is the water sports beach. But it was always quiet and we never saw anyone on this part of the beach. Book this suite if you can- it is worth it!
We really enjoyed breakfast at the Terrace- there was never a full buffet, although they always had a continental buffet where we got our fresh fruit. We had custom made omelets mostly and on the last day I splurged and tried the chocolate chip coconut pancakes and Jamaican hot chocolate- yum! We ate dinner at the Terrace our first night but ate every other night at the french restaurant which was excellent! We had a favorite table outside and we were entertained by the live bands that played in the Gazebo each night. We even danced on the patio one evening. We ate lunch at the Bayside restaurant which is on the beach. I had coconut shrimp practically every day and it was delish. Hubby was more adventurous and tried the Mahi Mahi, about which he raved and he enjoyed the jerk chicken. We both loved the Iced Coffee Crunch dessert- to die for! We opted for the "Royal Plan" which was the all inclusive and it was definitely worth it.
The Manager's Cocktail party on Monday evening was very enjoyable. We met the general manager, Peter Fraser, who came around and introduced himsellf on the beach that morning and he was very pleasant and welcoming. All the staff members were polite and attentive. We especially commend our two butlers for their efforts as well as Marcia, the front desk manager, Felicia at the Terrace restaurant and Alrick at the beach who always reserved our chaises under the Palapa and even set aside a float for our use. There were Mangosas every morning on the beach along with fresh fruit and a butler walked around spritzing rosewater on the sunbathers.
The resort is very clean and we did not see any insects to speak of. There are peacocks who walk around the property and we saw some little lizards. You can hear the tree frogs but it's not annoying. The beach is small but well kept and aside from work going on to extend the pier, it was quiet and peaceful. The water was warm and calm.
All in all, it was a very enjoyable and relaxing vacation. We spent 5 nights and 6 days and it just flew by. I highly recommend this resort- it's no surprise that it is listed as one of the Leading Hotels in the world. Go see for yourself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hooroo Pty Ltd, Evoline ltd, Booking.com and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios