“Our FOURTH Christmas vacation at RP.......Heavenly.......”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 28 January 2010

My husband and I spent our 4th consecutive Xmas vaca here and I must say that it was amazing, once again.
I will not repeat what everyone else states that makes this resort so exceptional ,but I will emphasize a couple of aspects that set this resort apart from other 5 star resorts.
We found the cuisine to be better (if that is possible) than any of our previous stays. The french restaurant, " Papillon", was our preference most nights and it never disappointed us....the food, service and atmosphere was exceptional.
The Staff and Service at RP is beyond words. I have stayed at the Hong Kong Peninsula numerous times and the RP staff and service exceeds that by far.
Peter Frazier, the general manager of this property, is certainly one of the reason for the outstanding service. He is engaged in every aspect of the operation of the resort on a daily basis, making sure that EVERY guest is more than satisfied. If there is an issue, he does everything and anything to rectify and make the guests as happy and comfortable as possible.
Our RP friends, just to name a few... Peter, Marcia, Damian, Suzanne, Shawn, Gladstone aka G-man, Dwight, Donovan aka jay-Z, Howard, Cleon, Jefferson, Natalie and numerous others are waiting to serve you with a smile. If you have the opportunity to experience this resort, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DLanghorne
Write a ReviewReviews (2,664)

Reviewed 26 January 2010

After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor I was a little concerned about my visit to the Royal Plantation. But after my stay, I have decided some people just need something to complain about. We had an incrdible time from start to finish - the rooms, the food, the service - everything was excellent. Thanks to all the staff for making our visit so grand.

The only draw back was the distance from the airport but it was worth the ride.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank Louis4fun
Reviewed 23 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at Royal Plantation in January 2010. We had a fantastic time. You've read about the great features of this resort (small size, service, food quality, the coffee, etc) in other reviews. I won't add to them here, except to say that I agree with all of them. But, I will offer a few tips that may make your trip more enjoyable:

* While the food is very high-quality for an all-inclusive, there's not a lot of choice on the menu. Suggestion: don't be shy to go off the menu; ask the team for what you want. They'll do their best to accommodate you. This goes for room service as well...

* If possible, ask for a room on the east side of the resort. The west side can get loud, with the sounds of the nearby restaurants.

* The staff will, at some point, try to sell you some photos or something called "Select Soiree", for repeat visits. I had no problem with this, as I found the sales tactics to be low-pressure and friendly. Still, it may help you to know that it's coming...

* Bring some bug spray. The mosquitos aren't bad, but they're around, and they can be a bit annoying at times.

* If you're at all interested in the beautiful plants and trees on the resort, the head of the grounds staff offers a tour once a week. It takes less than an hour, and is quite interesting.

* If you're a golfer, note that the course is a ten-minute shuttle ride away from the resort. The course is very nice, but not particularly interesting. None of the holes are memorable. You'll pay $17 for the caddy up front, and you may wish to tip around $15-$20 at the end. The rental clubs are pretty decent. Final note to the serious golfers: if you've never had a caddy before, be prepared for them to choose your clubs for you and pick your lines on the green. I could understand if a serious golfer didn't like that.

* I didn't play tennis, but I can say that the courts didn't look like they were in great shape. I could be wrong, though.

* If you're there in the winter, and you plan to swim in the sea, remember that the sun starts to set fairly early. By 4pm, the water's pretty cold.

* If they offer you more coffee, TAKE IT. :)

Have fun.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DKZ_7
Reviewed 22 January 2010

from the moment our private driver pulled in front of this plantation style mansion I was in love. Two magnificent staircases sweep around to greet you and the large black and white harlequin style tiles force your view straight through the middle of this foyer to the ocean. The staff brought us chilled champagne, constantly I might add and cool hand towels to freshen up with. In fact they anticipated your needs from that moment forward. This was a butler's only adult retreat and yet I didn't feel awkward that we were not all couples. The food was beautifully prepared and always served with remarkable timing. I would suggest leaving the resort and zipping through the rain forest or rafting down the White River as we did. The tour operators were friendly, fun and helpful. Of course if you want to stay here all day I wouldn't blame you but I would seriously suggest a massage from Andrew who has palms the size of Rhode Island. In fact just ask Shawn Moses to make the reservation for you and tell him, Linda sent you!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank LuxuryTravelerNJ
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I am not going to repeat what has been said already
this is a first class property, and all the wonderful things you have read already, are true
now the slight negatives
the golf is like a sub par public course, its o,k. but if you are going for the golf, don't
the tennis courts are average, they are hard surface, if you play a lot of tennis, you may be a bit disappointed
the weather, this was a big one, lots of rain during our stay and I understand it does rain here in ocho rios
the beach, beautiful and very small, no long walks
the pool, only for dunking, not for laps

don't get me wrong, every positive comment you have read is true, I just wanted to review the things that really were not reviewed before

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
98.3 km away
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!