“B-day Weekend”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 14 March 2006

We've just returned from a weeken in Ocho Rios at the Royal Plantation. This hotel turned out to be a great place for my wife and I to spend time clebrating her 30th B-day and getting away from it all.

Being an African-American couple, my wife and I are not immediately drawn to a vacation place with "plantation" in it's title. I originally wanted to book a room at the Couples San Souci but it was completely booked. Since tripadvisor reviews supplied us with great information on our trips to Waikiki and Maui we were open to try the Royal Plantation, a place many are raving about. Our time at this hotel turned out to be great.

I loved the Ocean front view and the lush garden below our french balcony. The jerk chicken sandwiches were great plus the fillet of escovietch with johnny cakes were very nice during.

We give hats off to the LePapillion Restaurant food and service. I hope the tip was big enough, the service was superb. The presentation of the New York Sirloin and te Surf & Turf were great. The balcony and sexy jazzy music were beautiful.

Thnals to all the helpful staff that catered to my wife and I duringthe weekend and even the new faces we saw the morning we checked out. Monday's concierge gladly re-charging my IPOD while my wife an I ate breakfast during the morning we checked out. Thanks alot, I needed music for the long flight back to Dallas,TX. I'll definitely beback to this whenever I think about getting away from it all.

Stayed: March 2006
16  Thank Akins1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,692)

A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 13 March 2006

My wife and I just returned from the RP and found it to be an excellent experience. We highly recommend the all-inclusive plan. Why worry about paying for food and drink as you go along? With the all-inclusive you simply kick back, relax, and enjoy all that the RP has to offer. And the resort offers a great deal!. Beautiful grounds, lovely (and well-kept) beach, wonderful staff, and quality dining. The gym was suitable for the occasion and the spa was adequate (note: some of the spa staff ranked low on the hospitality scale; my wife was not pleased with the reaction to a scheduling mix-up on their part). The music/entertainment was light and could have been more "local" in flavor. We were expecting more reggae and calypso. The RP is a small, intimate place so bring some books, greet your fellow guests and relax. You will not be disappointed. Oh yeah: make sure that all the men in your party bring along closed-toe shoes for the restaurant Le Papillion. I had to wear my golf shoes to dinner! The golf course -- also used by other Sandals properties -- was challenging but fun.

Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 March 2006

We traveled to RP for our 20th anniversary. We were greeted at the door with champagne and cool towels. Our room was lovely and quiet. The resort is small but that is what makes it. The restaurants were fabulous. Each has something special to offer. Save room for dessert, they make some great ones. The beach service was also pleasant. Mango mimosas, a cool spritz and fresh fruit await you. Lunch can be brought right to your chair. Entertainment was local and quite good. Most days and evenings, there was local music. We hope to make this an annual event. We have stayed some luxurious places and this ranks right up there.

11  Thank JanH21
Reviewed 8 March 2006

We just returned from a trip to Royal Plantation. We were going on a trip with 2 other couples. We were all turning 40 and we wanted to celebrate. The Villa was awesome for our trip. Perfect for a secluded getaway with the whole resort at your fingertips. The bedrooms are all the same-we stayed in the bedroom on the ground floor-literally steps from the beach. The bathrooms could use a renovation, but the villa is great for friends who want to hang out together. We had an amazing butler, Durrant, who we wanted to take home. One night he even cooked a fabulous dinner in the villa. The resort is wonderful, but if you have one or two other couples the villa is a great way to go!

6  Thank Casey G
Reviewed 8 March 2006

First I want to say thank you to all those that posted a review on Royal Plantation (RP) and few other spots we were interested in. It really helps getting real opions from real people.

We stayed at the RP for 5 nights the last week of Feb. and had a wonderful time. My wife and I have been lucky enough to stay at some hotels like 4S Maui, Kea Lani, Hyatt Maui, The Breakers, and I have to say RP was as nice or nicer than all of these. The property is stunning and maintaied perfectly. It is smaller which means smaller beach and pool but while being full we always had chairs and were able to find our own space. (While the wood furniture is hansome, go w/ the plastic they are more comfy!) If you are looking to party this is not the place for you, though you could go next door to the sandels which has more that scene. It is quiet but social with excelent live acoustic music for lunch, dinner and apres. After dinner in the bar you usually can find a few people enjoying a cocktail but overall it is very subdued.

The food is excellent and this is coming from 2 foodies from Manhattan. The Mon nite BBQ and dinner at Papillon were exceptional. Breakfast was good, not the best ever but there was a wide varity. My wife loved afternoon tea! I have heard complaints about portions and honestly I didn't think they were all that small but even if you did you can always order more. Personally, I loved the Royal Plan especially if you like wine or enjoy some drinks at the Beach. Even though we didnt use it much the free mini bar was cool. We didnt really feel the need to leave the resort and food/drink prices are pretty steep if you pay as you go. Perhaps if a couple where neither drinks, it may make sense to go that rout.

The service is very, very good. Personal and extremely polite and friendly. Though this is the one spot where I would say they are a little behind some other spots. Dont get me wrong but I just think the term Island Time and Mr. short term memory apply but they all really try and are quite attentive.

Our room was great. Very clean and good size. They miss screens on the sliding doors which would be nice to have to hear the ocean at nite w/out the bugs.

My wife loved her massage an thought the the spa was great and while the gym small, it was more than enough and very clean.

For your pickup from the airport ask for Cool David. He was a great guy with a real nice new car who drove safely. Very knowledgeable and help make the 2 hour drive like a tour. Have the jerk @ the Ultimate Jerk Center stop, out of this world, authentic and you probably would not go on your own. The golf course was decent. Overplayed and not in good shape but the caddies make up for it!

Overall, just a beautiful place on a beautiful piece of property and for the Caribbean in peak season it seems like real deal for the calaber of hotel.

8  Thank dins95
1.5 km away
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!