2,844 results
All reviews wobbly peacock le papillon beach butler royal grill east beach french restaurant terrace restaurant peter fraser french balcony arnold nugent lobster blt butler service rose water our honeymoon east wing food and beverage manager the general manager
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at the Royal Plantation resort. We had two butlers (Richard and Sheldon) who went above and beyond to help us with anything we needed. The bartender at the resort by the name of Gladstone was a wonderful guy to have around. Not only did he make his famous Gstone martini but he helped us with the Jamaican Joe as well. The kitchen help was also very kind and helped us out with everything we needed. Winston who delivered our breakfast each morning was very helpful with advice and insight on the local culture.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ethan W
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We had to move form Sandals Whitehous to this property. When we arrived late in the evening at Royal Plantation, we were taken to our room. Unfortunately, this room also had mold issues. Unlike, Whitehouse the situation was handled with professionalism. The night manager David Sleight took us to several other rooms which also had mold issues. Mr. Sleight showed us a smaller room which did not have mold issues, but was hesitant to have us stay in it since it was not the same room grade. We stated we just wanted to sleep in a mold free room and he happily put us into the room. When showing us additional rooms, Mr. Sleight also saw the mold issues. He showed us a room on the second level which was not made up, but unbeknownst to us he communicated to the General Manager, Mr. Fraser the issues and that this room was mold free also.
When we came to breakfast, Mr. Fraser notified us that if the room we saw the night before was acceptable, they would prepare the room for us and would move us. I went to the room with the housekeeping manager, Mr. Robert Frost and stated that the room was great. I than offered to show Mr. Frost how to address some of the mold issues which he happily accepted. I walked around with Mr. Frost and told him several things Sandals Royal Plantation could do to prevent mold growth.
The management and staff at Royal Plantation moved us to the other room which was great. The next day when I woke up, I was pleasantly surprised to see they were already addressing some of the issues. Mr. Frost kindly took us to Scotchies for lunch, which was wonderful. Mr. Frost also stated that the management at Royal Plantation knew we were not looking for an upgrade by making a complaint when we stated we would take the smaller room. Mr. Frost also stated he knew our complaints were legitimate through our conversations.
What was immediately evident was the contrast in the professionalism of the management and the maintenance of the property between Whitehouse and Royal Plantation. Mr. Fraser, Mr. Frost and the Food and Beverage Manager (a gentleman from Portugal) at Royal Plantation were always in the resort working. They all are leaders not managers. A leader shows you the way to the top of the mountain, while a manager states how to get there. The staff at Royal Plantation is enthusiastic and hardworking not only respecting the management but genuinely liking them.
On our visit at Royal Plantation the Food and Beverage Manager asked after every lunch and dinner how was our meal; what was good; and what could be improved. I saw Mr. Fraser working around the resort constantly. Mr. Frost was always on the go working with his staff.
On the wait staff there were several people who were especially wonderful; Taniqua Dillon, Adrian Cole, Romaine Jones, Ge Mar, Natalia, Patrice Hotel Technical Training Programme (HTTP), and Romaine Jones HTTP. Our maids Maria Faulder and Nedalia James were great.
The room we stayed at Sandals Negril (Negril) did not have mold issues. I believe because Negril maintains relatively high occupancy therefore the rooms are not unoccupied for long periods of time therefore the rooms do not get a chance to increase the relative humidity. I think an additional factor that may be assisting Negril is the fact that the room we were in had individual air conditioning units. The concierge Patrice was wonderful at Negril.
When we were at lunch Mr. Robert Frost had mentioned he talked with the Sandals Corporate Environmental and Safety Manger regarding myself and the UWI OESH programme running a class for all of the Sandals properties in Jamaica. I discussed this with representatives of the OESH programme at UWI and they would be very happy to assist in eliminating the mold issues.
As a Registered Sanitarian and a Diplomate of the American Academy of Sanitarians I know Jamaica has wonderful food and water safety. The area where they are falling short of the rest of the world is IAQ. The excuse hoteliers like to use in Jamaica is the humidity, which is false. There are numerous parts of the world including the US which experience high temperatures and humidity but properly condition their space.
Before I travel I research a property’s evaluations. I know for a fact if a CIH stated that a property had IAQ issues I would not stay there. I also know from previous postings that other travelers have not stayed at a hotel because of my review. I have had numerous would be travelers thank me for my honesty.
If it had not been for Mr. Fraser and the Royal Plantation I would have never stayed at Sandals again, due to the ill treatment we received at Whitehouse.

Room Tip: Higher floor has less moisture issues
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I recently returned to Jamaica (week of Sept. 1 – 8, 2012) to celebrate our 17th anniversary, having spent our honeymoon there years ago. “Welcome home! was the greeting we received, and so it felt. From the time we eagerly arrived in Montego Bay until the time we reluctantly left, the staff of Sandals made us feel like we had truly arrived home.

Upon arriving (and getting through Customs), we were shown to the Sandals reception area, where refreshing drinks awaited weary travelers. Our bags were collected and handled for us until safely deposited into our room to await our arrival there. A private shuttle, driven by a friendly, wise young woman named Michelle, shared with us her knowledge of the area during the drive to Ocho Rios. Once at the resort, we were taken to a seaside restaurant for lunch while our room was readied.

Our butlers Fiona and Ricardo took care of our every need, including giving us a tour of our resort, escorting us to dinner, creating a towel menagerie to entertain us, preparing hot baths with flowers, and accompanying us on the five minute walk to the dive shop at the neighboring resort, Grand Riviera, to which we also had full access.

The staff at the Grand Riviera dive shop was exceptional. Over the course of six days and eleven dives, the staff showed themselves to be the highest caliber, personally as well as professionally. This included:
Kevin, a quiet but warm-hearted dive instructor who taught us to increase the joy of the underwater world by knowing its creatures through the Fish ID dive specialty;
Ike, a friendly and very competent dive instructor whose primary focus is the safety of the divers;
Dennis, a friendly dive instructor who knows how to show fellow divers a good time; “Mouse,” an outgoing divemaster who knows the reefs inside and out (in the light as well as in the dark, discovered by our fantastic night dive); and
Winston, the only boat captain I know who can park a large boat in a narrow slip in three turns.
These wonderful people helped us reach our PADI Master Scuba Diver certification and helped us celebrate when we reached it.

These and the other dive staff put their whole heart into their work, and this makes all the difference for those fortunate enough to spend time with them. They MADE our vacation awesome, and our hearts were warmed by having gotten to know them. I hope one day you might have that opportunity as well.

As for the rest of our trip, we spent our time alternating between the Royal Plantation and the Grand Riviera. The first provided our luxury and refinement; the latter our entertainment, amusement, and recreation. It was the best of both worlds.

Room Tip: A higher level room means a better view of the ocean. East rooms mean beautiful sunrises - but early (depending on the month). West rooms - beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pam D
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

We're thrilled to read that you and your husband had such a great stay with us. We always want our guests to feel welcomed and comfortable, as if they have just come home. It's great that you took advantage of the luxury of staying at one resort and playing at another and we're happy you enjoyed your time spent on both properties. I will be sure to let Fiona and Ricardo know of your kind mention. Thank you for your awesome review.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cassie C.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I have read many a review on TA and I thought it only fair to finally take the time to sign up and contribute in fairness to others. This review is based on a Nov. 2011 vacation. Royal Plantation is an absolutely wonderful Caribbean resort. The whole resort is beautifully landscaped and decorated. The food is delicious and the service is excellent. Our every want and need was fulfilled by the resort's friendly and highly trained staff. 24 hour room service was a nice feature, as we occasionally needed a change from the two restuarants that are open at any given meal time. The spa services were fantastic, as well. There is not a lot to do if you are one of those people who are looking for night time entertainment. This suited us just fine. Loved it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 3000kmsouth
Reviewed 11 September 2012

... was the greeting we received on check-in, followed by "Happy 50th."
Such is the reception for returning guests, however, I overheard a first timer say, "Coming here was like meeting the family I didn't know I had."
Famous for its intimate size of 74 suites and butler service, SRP is the perfect destination to relax and be pampered. When the need for action hits you, there is a five minute beach walk to Sandals Grand Riviera, a sister resort. Use of all its facilities and dining rooms is included as a guest of SRP. Alternatively, have your butler arrange a complementary shuttle.
My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows before our family, at a resort down the road in MoBay that allowed teenage guests. We then sent them home to Canada to work and school and we transferred to the SRP for a "honeymoon".
The reception and hospitality all week long was truly Royal, with gifts and surprises by the management and our special butlers Shelly-Ann and Derron.
Frederico, the new Food and Beverage Manager from Portugal, is a fantastic addition to the team. His enthusiasm and youth is infectious.
A couple of new food ideas are worth mentioning, including Breakfast savoury muffins such as scrambled eggs and lobster. Starting breakfast with a "Fresh Morning Fruitini", is an eye-opener of regal proportions. There are enough choices for a week of different ones. For example, "The Royal Treat" contains a blend of papaya puree, mango puree, honey and orange juice shaken with ice and garnished with lime. Add a shot of rum, gin or vodka to taste, or not.
Another dining innovation is "In the Chef's Hands" where-in you make a reservation at le Papillion Thursday, explain to the waiter what you don't want and the chef prepares a personalized custom menu based on this info. If you have allergies, don't appreciate certain foods or if you had pasta for lunch or lamb the night before, let you waiter know. This information is conveyed to the chef. It is well to mention your tollerance for Jamaican spicyness.
The resort is on a hillside with a lot of stairs and an elevator. On request, the mangement will attempt to accomodate any mobility problems with a choice of rooms on the main level or near the elevator in the west wing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Richard T
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sandals Royal Plantation. We're so delighted to read that you had such an amazing and memorable stay with us. It was an honor to share such a milestone with you and we're glad that we were able to make your 50th anniversary even more special.

We can't wait to welcome you back home in the near future!

Happy Travels!