“Relaxing...Serenity Now”

Turtle Beach Towers
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Relaxing...Serenity Now”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Location is "key," and Turtle Beach Towers has a prime location within Ocho Rios. I loved my apartment in building 1 on the third floor and had a great view of the beach, as well as the pool n garden area. The breeze from the balcony was "to die for"...if only I had brought a kite with me...lol. I am not "new" to the north coast, nor am I an "average tourist." My ventures involve "cultural tourism." This apartment was extremely clean and well furnished. I had everything I needed and more. The kitchen was well stocked with all appliances, and I went to Seow's (local grocery store) and bought items for Saturday soup and Sunday supper...teehee. I honestly did not have to approach the "front desk" for anything, and the security guards were excellent - always making sure that one is supposed to be there. I never felt "unsafe," and I ventured all over the place, even late at night -- going as far as Priory Beach to a Sunday night dance. My only complaint was that my stay was too short, as I would have loved to stay in that apartment for a few more months...lol. My family is from the Portmore area of Jamaica, but there is no comparison to St. Ann's. I am in love with the "garden parish." The location of Turtle Beach Towers allows one to be adventurous without going too far; therefore, you save quite a bit on transporation. There are many quaint beaches along the road...Mahogany Beach is one of my faves. It has a lovely blend of local and foreign visitors. There is also a bar, gift shop and some water sports there. The water is nice and calm and flows from being cool to warm along the currents. This is a great location. Building one has excellent views, so don't hesitate to reserve an apartment. It's well worth it and provides a wonderful Jamaican experience.

Room Tip: Just ask for something facing the beach. However, the mountain view is also lovely.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank TMommy4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

When we got to the room, which smelled bad, was sufficatingly hot (no AC), very dirty and it was unsafe. The windows had a hinge to lock but they didnt close all the way and you could easily put a wire hook into room and unlatch the lock. With not having a fully closed window, our room had lots of mosquitos in it.

I talked to the manager, told him I didnt like the room, I felt unsafe. He told me that I had nothing to worry about, there was not another room and that this is the room that Hotwire secured for our stay.

My husband and I tried to go with the flow, so we went to the local store, bought linen and pillows ($100) and went back to the room. After spending the night there, in the morning I woke up to a cochroach in the room. My husband covered in bites. We left the room, walked the beach, exhausted from a lack of sleep, I cried, and he found me a new apartment complex that was clean, in good repair, friendly staff (mystic ridge).

This is not a hotel. Its an apartment complex. And I think the photos speak for itself.

I have stayed in apartments before and some are better than others but honestly, Ive never stayed in a place that was so unclean and unsafe, until now. Thankfully we didnt have to stay more than one night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Celina B

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2011

These apartments are literally in walking distance of EVEYTHING you need. A great beach, supermarket, shops, night life...Had the best 2 weeks of my life staying in these apartments and would go back in a second.

I forget which unit I stayed in, but the property itself was very well maintained and the pool area as well. Literally beach was a 2 minute walk and it was such a nice beach to go hang out and swim, just a perfect place to stay in Jamaica.

Would reccomend staying here to ANYBODY who doesn't want the tourist atmosphere. The apartments are nice and its in PRIME location.

Loved it, couldn't say more great things about it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michelle J T
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Shortly after booking unit 1-4C, I read several reviews on Trip Advisory about this unit having an ant problem I immediately emailed Prem, the CEO in charge and made him aware of my concern as well as requested a refund. I was told the unit did not have an ant problem as it was regularly treated. We arrived on July 19 and guess what? As soon as I stepped in the kitchen, ants were all over the kitchen counter. I immediately sent an email and shortly thereafter the woman in charge if the unit showed up with a can of spray. She sprayed the counter and everything around it and acted as if that was the end of the ants. I insisted on speaking with management so she called someone. The woman I spoke with told me she would move us to another 2-bedroom unit but not until the next day. While sleeping sitting in the livingroom chair as well as sitting on rhe sofa, we noticed ants crawling on some papers I sat on the sofa as well as ants were scurrying around the coffee table. The next morning we were contacted and told there were no other 2 bedroom units available. However we were offered a unit at the Silver Sands location. Well, when we arrived there, they wanted us to pay more money to stay there and the unit they showed us was in disarray, cushions were on the floor, the bed wasn't made and it was obvious it needed to be cleaned. At that point we asked fir our money back. The only positive thing in this experience was they did refund our money. When we left I was very concerned about being ripped off but before leaving I requested something in writing regarding their promise to refund our money on that same date. Nobody should have to live with ants crawling all over the place, especially not while on vacation! What was most disappointing is that they were made aware of my concern a month or so before our arrival yet nothing was done, that's poor service. If you want to see the video I took of the ants, it will be on YouTube by the end of the week, I've gotta get my kids to post it as I don't know how. Lol!
PS
We drove to Montego Bay and stayed at Half Moon Resort in Rose Hall, our 2 weeks there was wonderful, NO ants. Google Half Moon, it's beautiful!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Cegies
NJ
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Originally we planned to stay at the Carib, but my apartment was booked so we stayed at Apt 38D in Turtle Beach Towers for 10 days. Upon arrival the apartment was a little musty, but once we opened up the balcony doors and the windows there was a wonderful breeze that bought in all the great smells of Jamaica. The apartment was cleaned very well. Our housekeeper came every other day. No bugs. Thank you Ms. Linneth.

The entire apartment is air conditioned - works very well but wasn't needed during the day. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony in the evening and watching the kids play in the pool. It was nice to hear kids laughing. You get a good view of the main road with all the attractions Margaritaville (there is also a Devon House Ice Cream place in the Village), the mountains and a view of the ocean - slight frontal view of cruise ship docked, and the pool. From your living room window you get a good view of the main road - great for people watching. On the days the cruise ships came in, there was a steel band that played across the road.

I can't say enough about the location. You are in the center of everything. There is an onsite food place - ate there once for breakfast. There are tons of places to eat and drink. Down the road closer to Fisherman's Point there's a little club that does Karaoke on Tuesday nights. Security is very visible.I felt very safe and I never worried about my belongings in the apartment either.

Becasue we had such great weather and everything really is right there we walked everywhere. When we needed transportation - John was a great. Just ask for "John down the Road" if you need to go anywhere.

I will definitely go back - but I would like to stay in Building 1 - only because I would like more of an ocean view. Otherwise as far as the cost and location, this was a great choice.

I booked through MySilverSands and would like to thank Angella and Desrine for adjusting my dates and Kimesha for checking in on us while we were there.

Michele