New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sand Castles Resort

Sand Castles Resort
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
London, England, United Kingdom
“What has happened to this hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Went there to visit old friends on my last stay in january to Ocho Rios, and was shocked at what I found, Reception had closed down as was the restaruant, bar and everything else, the reception was stripped of furniture, Big TV's and all decor, Rumor was that its going under hard really to understand as last year they started upgrading it, Sad as it used to be a good place to stay, right in the heart of Ocho

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Janis L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I would not recommend this resort for no human been this is the dirties hotel i had ever seen , I book a vacation to Jamaica on February 10 ,2012 , with stay at the Sand Castle Resort I book my hotel room @hotel.com , on my arrival at the hotel , standing @ the front desk could not find a guest service agent to check us in , while we were there some one came and ask, are you looking for a room ?" I have a room to rent if you need a room" , this was scary i responded no , i am hear to check in, i have a reservations . The guest agent came and check us in we waited about 30 minutes before someone take us to the room . upon arrival at the room the room has mold and roach it also smell stink , it was not what i paid for on hotel.com i wanted 2beds they were offering one , i refuse to stay in a room in that condition so i ask for a change of room, i was told i cannot get a change of room , because none is available , so i kindly ask to have a refund so i could go some where else . I was ask to wait a few minutes , after waiting a lady and the front desk agent offer me another room but with an option to pay the full price for that room , I was told i have to wait 2-3 weeks to have my money refunded back to me , I refuse that offer . They gave me a change of room with no hot water . I was getting really tired and frustrated not knowing anyone in Ocho Rios so i accept the offer . The next day approximately 12:00 A.M. I heard banging on the door someone telling me i have to leave the room because its a private room and they need their money . I had to pack my stuff and i was given another room that was very dirty and has roach . I was treated like a piece of dirty material , just going from one place to the other . My worst ever experience . This place need to close down, mold and roach can make you sick, even can be deadly , in 2 days i had been in three rooms they all have mold and roach this is not good for your health.

Room Tip: None go some where else
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank MONICA F

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I read some of the reviews.. Oh my! MY experience was much different.

I booked directly from the owner on flipkey.. and lucked out on Studio D11 from the owner. On arrival, It was exactly as I had imagined it based on the pics online. I had no regret!
Great apartment, perhaps one of the very best. It is a studio apartment, and it was suited for me and mine. Cozy, CLEAN, and well maintained.

I build my own trip - that work out to be cost effective to do all the excursions, eating at several restaurants in Ochy.

Honestly, it is not a 5 star resort. But there are some really nice units that are privately owned and well maintained by the owners.

It's a bargain deal, so shop around, I would definitely stay at Studio D11 again.
Chao~

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robin T
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Toward the bottom of this review I tell you about how my Mother contracted this horrible illness from this pace. I may should have started with that...

The location of this property is great if you like to go off on your own. There are shops, bars, cafes, and places to eat surrounding you.(Mothers is quick, cheap, and ok.) There is a small "store" on the right side of the hotel the food is AMAZING! The beach is very close only a 1-3 min. walk. If you want to just relax at the hotel you will be bored! The "pool side bar" they boast was not open the whole time I was there, The pool is very small with hours of operation. I ignored the sign and went in anyway only to be yelled at and forced to get out. The bar in the lobby is nice but had no one working it. Upon check in I waited about a half hour until someone finally came to the desk. The place is fairly priced which is why I went there to begin with. VERY run down! I had no hot water and my toilet was backed up and flooded the restroom. They did switch rooms for me. The new room also had no hot water. Not much of a big deal b/c its hot anyway I was able to deal with it but my showers were quick! I ate there once believe me that was more than enough! The beds look and feel to be at least 50 or so years old. My mother contracted the Dangie fever (not correct spelling) while we were there due to the unsanitary conditions and the septic (check your showers once in a while!) backing up. This is a place for the locals to go hang out and get away. As I said before it is a great location and cheap but there are SO many reasons why I switched hotels to the Riu in Ochie for my Mother to recover which took several weeks. It was horrible it was to the point I thought she may die from this. Bleeding, vomiting, hallucinating, severe sweats, chills, and so so so much more! Fortunately the Riu has a "Dr." on staff at all times. I would recommend spending the extra $ to go anywhere but here! They did not offer us anything in a way of compensation for our horrible stay or for my mothers illness. I contacted the appropriate authorities (which was NOT EASY!) for the sanitation of this hotel and it was closed down the next day. That should tell you something huh? Good luck and enjoy your stay in Jamaica Mon! I have been to Jamaica a lot, if you need any help please feel free to contact me at : SweetAnnoyance@yahoo.com

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ShayD80
Springfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

THE GOOD: It's a relatively good bargain (but not for you if you want the pool boy to bring you an umbrella drink). Well-maintained gardens: pretty even, if you are into tropical plants. Convenient location in Ocho Rios: walking distance to attractions in the area that kept me occupied for several days: beach front, shopping, movies, restaurants, craft market. No problems with security during stay, rooms cleaned daily, breakfast ok, with slow but very attentive waiters. Privately owned suites have more amenities and furnishings and are WAY better maintained than hotel run-rooms.

THE BAD: Have to go around property to beach because hotel does not have direct access to the beach front even though it is very close. Back access from property to road parallel to beach has limited hours; minor inconvenience- it takes about 3 minutes to go around, so no sweat. Unlike other hotels nearby, SC does not offer beach chairs, so I had to rent one daily. Hotel rooms had only one key, so sharing a room required dropping off the key at the front desk to give roommate access when we had different schedules, which would be no problem if the front desk was manned full-time, but that was not the case....sometimes patrons had to wait for about 5 - 10 minutes (although it seemed like an eternity) before someone came out to the front desk. You're supposed to ring a bell to alert the staff in the inner room, but there were clearly gaps in coverage. Stayed in a hotel-managed room. Hot water hot or miss, same thing for wifi access. Tried to call hotel several times while away from premises, phone was either not picked up (probably because no one was at the front desk at the time), or transfer was botched.

THE UGLY: Management response to problems with room requiring significant maintenance: APPALLING.

Room Tip: Book a privately owned room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends