“Absolutely Loved Wynfield, Ocho Rios and Jamaica!”
Review of Mammee Bay Villas

Mammee Bay Villas
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocho Rios
Mammee Bay Villas
Reviewed 29 February 2008

We have just returned from Wynfield villa in Jamaica after eight glorious days there. Our holiday was booked by my husband who usually takes care of all the arrangements. Whilst we travel often – school holidays permitting, this was our first time in Jamaica and I was not initially happy about travel time from airport to accommodation but went with an open mind and by the time we set off we were all extremely excited. The excitement waned somewhat halfway through our long flight.

The airport was a breeze and in no time we were through the various checks and united with our driver, Peter. We stopped enroute for some food which was a mistake although we did not know this at the time. I do not know exactly where we stopped (recommended by Peter) but the food was good – chicken, fries, rice – and quick.

I had heard accounts of bad roads – but the road is in excellent condition. We reached the villa in much less than the two hours we had expected (aside from our stop); and it’s such a lovely journey. We were welcomed by the staff there which was strange at the time – a bit like going to a party and not knowing anyone – they were clearly waiting for us and had ready a jug of cold juice. The frenzied choosing of rooms began with the children although I should say they chopped, and swapped several times whilst we were there. Our Manager, Winsum advised us that they would be ready to serve dinner once we had the chance to freshen up – well, we were full and our mistake realised. This was a bit embarrassing.

The villa is extremely nice, I had been apprehensive as it is described as a tropical, older property which could suggest anything really. It is very well kept, clean and some considerate details that were greatly appreciated. The staff are clearly proud of what they do – they are so very keen to please and we became very fond of them during our short time there. There is a webpage for this villa that talks about the staff and I can say that this was our experience too.

The things that struck us about the villa:
Homely without clutter
Cleanliness
Hubby and I had a bed the size of our room at home! Extremely comfortable and a touch of luxury with drapery. There’s a bed like this downstairs also.
The professionalism of the staff

Niggles:
I would like comfy cushions on the patio sun loungers
There is a quirky set up with the television – there is a ‘light switch’ that switches the bedroom TV on. There is no cable service in the bedrooms only in the lounge you can get local channels in the bedrooms but there are DVD players so this helps.

Mammee Bay was a good location for us – the agent arranged our hire car delivery direct to the villa. We were able to go to the beach most days – this was within walking distance – there were a couple of hotels too within walking distance but we did not get to go to those.

We drove to the Town – its not far and to Dunns Waters which was a great exhilarating experience – that water Sooo Cold! I didn’t make it to the top but hubby did – so we’ll have to listen to his recount of the expedition for years to come. The children swam with dolphins; this can get quite pricey but is a once in a lifetime experience and the dolphins (and kids) were well cared for. I think you can get away with not having a car.

We ate out just once at an Italian restaurant called Evita’s its located at the edge of Town and served good food a mixture of American, Italian and Jamaican dishes which is ideal for us and I gather that Evita herself is somewhat of a celebrity in the area if the pictures on the restaurant wall are anything to go by. We also grabbed a takeaway at a Jerk place near to the Villa – this was tasty.

We visited the Harmony Art Gallery – I had been looking forward to this and I was left rather disappointed – I would describe it more as an Art shop. Wassi art did not disappoint and I found a small ‘bargain’.

Things that struck me about Jamaica
It truly is beautiful – the beaches, the mountains,
The people are really friendly with the very rare exception
The relaxed take on things – Chill Out!

Niggles:
Jamaica is a poor country (general) – there is poverty and you see it
Hustling or hassling is an occupation and given the chance some Jamaicans will hustle you – we had our strategy sorted.
We were not severely bitten by mosquitos but we did have few between us - I thanked god for our mozzie nets and the repellent we were advised to bring with us.

Our holiday home was in a good area – Wynfield is a typical house where most are large and very nice BUT there are some of the villas that are WoW, WoW! I am not sure how much they cost.

We have some good pictures which I will load here. I would certainly recommend Jamaica to others. If you are looking for a large well-priced villa near the beach and town then I would highly recommend Wynfield; If you have a larger budget go for one of the beachside villas.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Louette

Reviewed 18 August 2003

We recently returned from our third stay at Riviera Villa in Mammee Bay Estate and have come to consider it home in Jamaica. Riviera is an older, well-maintained, spotlessly clean three bedroom, four bath villa. It has a large yard with lovely gardens and a very private pool.
The villa staff pamper you, but give you as much privacy as you need too. Mammee Bay is a friendly, safe area with a lovely beach and beach club within the estate. I highly recommend the area to those looking for a villa holiday. There are many villas within the estate available for rent at a wide range of prices, from moderate to luxury.

12  Thank Ms.L
A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 30 March 2003

I and my group (eight people total) stayed at Villa D'Este in Mammee Bay in November and I cannot discribe the wonerful time we had. First, after reliving "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" from Montego Bay, we arrived at the villa about 6:00 PM and was greeted by the best staff I have ever experenced anywhere. Entering the "H" shaped house, our fears and cares instantly disappeared. Game room, Dining room, bed rooms, Den, Living room, ect.. Plenty of room. At least two acres of grounds with pool and tennis court. The club down the street, water sports, the beautiful Carribean, the hidden garden in the center of the house. Only went out once because the food cooked for us at the house was wonderful. We could not even get our clothes dirty. Each morning all our clothes were picked up, washed ironed folded, and placed on our beds befor dinner. The staff did everything but carry us adound on thrones. Cost for the entire trip, trinkets, gifts, food, drink, airfair and the beautiful, private villa, less than $1,000 each. UNBELIEVABLE!

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
7.2 km away
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Mammee Bay Villas? Share your experiences!