“My Jamaican home away from home”

Review of Datura Villa

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Kristina...
Melbourne, Florida
“My Jamaican home away from home”
Reviewed 12 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014
people found this review helpful

We stayed at Datura Villa for a whole week this past December and I have been day dreaming about returning ever since. There were 3 couples total and one brought their college age daughter. It was everyone's first time visiting Jamaica and our experience was nothing short of wonderful! The property and villa are extremely well kept and the staff makes you feel like you are their first guests ever!
We hired a driver, Chisholm, for the week and I would highly recommend doing this. It cost us $650 for the week plus tip and he was happy to drive us anywhere at anytime. He is a quiet, older Jamaican gentleman and a responsible, safe driver. I would highly suggest you visit Mayfield Falls not too far from the Villa. Not touristy at all. Also, don't miss snorkeling (also not far from Villa) from the PierI restaurant with Capt Polly. One of the nights we went to Glistening Waters in Folmouth - very amazing place!

I hope that the owners of Datura Villa know what quality GEMS they have as staff!

- Henry takes care of everything outside and lives there on the grounds. He is an incredibly knowledgable, warm and friendly guy and will do as much with you or as little as you like. We had all kinds of big fitness plans when we arrived to keep Henry busy, but quickly got so comfortable and lazy we just ended up doing lots of eating, drinking (mostly Jamaican RUM!) , and hot tubbing! Pool and hot tub are so beautifully maintained daily that you won't want to leave Datura! He'll gladly give a tour of the property showing you the gorgeous morning hummingbirds on the Chinese Umbrella plant, or crack open a fresh almond for you under the huge almond tree. Simply the best view of Montego Bay day and night!
- Kitchen staff - Shereen, Carol, and Hopey (sorry girls if my spelling is off) Unbelievably hard workers! I truly miss these sweet women and wished I could take them home with me!
Beginning of the week we sat down with the head chef Shereen and chose from a vast, flexible menu. We then went to the market with her to do the shopping - escorted by Henry. I highly recommend your group asks to do this. Very authentic Jamaican learning experience! Jamaica has tons unique of fruits and vegetables I have never seen or heard of. Also, don't miss out on Shereen's homemade Jerk or Hot Sauces that she bottles and sells by the way - We took home as much as we could carry! The delicious, multi course meals are prepared and served with love - no need to eat out at restaurants!
Rooms are kept clean and neat ALWAYS! You can enjoy the a/c in rooms or open beautiful wood slatted windows for fresh air cooler nights. We felt safe and at home here.
Shopping - we came home with great rums and coffee found best prices at local Mega Mart. Bought great handcrafted goods and fabulous straw hats (that you'll need when enjoying life by the pool) from the local craft market. Shop wisely and bargain a lot!
We will return to Datura Villa someday for sure and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in Jamaica!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The amazing STAFF at villa
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
ianr197
Miami Beach, Florida
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 1 November 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

A friend invited me to spend a couple of days in Jamaica at Datura Villa last month, and I can't say enough about this beautiful property and the wonderful staff running the show! First of all, Datura Villa is located about 20 minutes from the airport in Montego Bay. Chisholm, the property manager, met me at the airport and pointed out some of the sights in Montego Bay as we drove to the villa, which is located on several acres of property with spectacular views of Montego Bay.

The accommodations are what I'd describe as "Old World Jamaica" with modern amenities, including new bathrooms, wifi throughout, a gym on the property, and a salt water pool and hot tub situated on a hillside overlooking Montego Bay. The house is comfortably furnished, with lots of space and separate areas for hanging out with friends or just curling up with a book and spending an afternoon undisturbed. To be perfectly honest, I was looking for a bit of a retreat, and thus had no desire to sightsee or go anywhere. The chef, Cherine, served three delicious meals every day - breakfast on the terrace, lunch "under the almond tree" (no joke), and dinner in the dining room. Everything is very casual, but I felt very well taken care of at the same time. The food was terrific, with great local ingredients and specialties at every meal. Much of the fruit at breakfast was grown on the property! I had no special requests with regard to ingredients, etc., but I was asked about allergies and food preferences. The jerk chicken and pork was a standout, as were all desserts and pastries. I believe the eggs came from chickens on the property next door. I even took home some of the homemade jerk sauce as gifts.

Every afternoon, several of us worked out with Henry, the on-site trainer. Henry is built like a tank and put us through our paces for an hour or so daily. The fitness room is in a new addition to the property, and has weights, machine, yoga mats, etc. After that, a nap, dinner and drinks on the terrace. I'm sure many guests go out or leave the property, but I was content to spend several quiet and very restful days at Datura Villa. I would highly recommend to friends, and will be returning again next year with a larger group, and I hope to be able to plan for this as an annual getaway!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Beautiful property and wonderful food
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
12 Jan 2015
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I would like to correct one point about our swimming pool. It is not a salt water pool. Rather, our swimming pool is a fresh water pool that uses a salt chlorination system which produces free chlorine ions but no chloramines--the chemicals that are responsible for the chlorine smell of pools, as well as skin, hair, and eye irritation. The advantage of our system is that it offers a sanitary, silky, fresh water taste and quality without the caustic effects associated with conventional chlorine. Our system is of course more expensive to maintain than simply throwing chemicals into the pool but, as our guest noted, the experience is far more pleasurable and luxurious.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing