“Wonderful!”

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

ianr197
Miami Beach, Florida
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 1 November 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

A friend invited me to spend a couple of days in Jamaica at Datura Villa last month, and I can't say enough about this beautiful property and the wonderful staff running the show! First of all, Datura Villa is located about 20 minutes from the airport in Montego Bay. Chisholm, the property manager, met me at the airport and pointed out some of the sights in Montego Bay as we drove to the villa, which is located on several acres of property with spectacular views of Montego Bay.

The accommodations are what I'd describe as "Old World Jamaica" with modern amenities, including new bathrooms, wifi throughout, a gym on the property, and a salt water pool and hot tub situated on a hillside overlooking Montego Bay. The house is comfortably furnished, with lots of space and separate areas for hanging out with friends or just curling up with a book and spending an afternoon undisturbed. To be perfectly honest, I was looking for a bit of a retreat, and thus had no desire to sightsee or go anywhere. The chef, Cherine, served three delicious meals every day - breakfast on the terrace, lunch "under the almond tree" (no joke), and dinner in the dining room. Everything is very casual, but I felt very well taken care of at the same time. The food was terrific, with great local ingredients and specialties at every meal. Much of the fruit at breakfast was grown on the property! I had no special requests with regard to ingredients, etc., but I was asked about allergies and food preferences. The jerk chicken and pork was a standout, as were all desserts and pastries. I believe the eggs came from chickens on the property next door. I even took home some of the homemade jerk sauce as gifts.

Every afternoon, several of us worked out with Henry, the on-site trainer. Henry is built like a tank and put us through our paces for an hour or so daily. The fitness room is in a new addition to the property, and has weights, machine, yoga mats, etc. After that, a nap, dinner and drinks on the terrace. I'm sure many guests go out or leave the property, but I was content to spend several quiet and very restful days at Datura Villa. I would highly recommend to friends, and will be returning again next year with a larger group, and I hope to be able to plan for this as an annual getaway!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Beautiful property and wonderful food
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
12 Jan 2015
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I would like to correct one point about our swimming pool. It is not a salt water pool. Rather, our swimming pool is a fresh water pool that uses a salt chlorination system which produces free chlorine ions but no chloramines--the chemicals that are responsible for the chlorine smell of pools, as well as skin, hair, and eye irritation. The advantage of our system is that it offers a sanitary, silky, fresh water taste and quality without the caustic effects associated with conventional chlorine. Our system is of course more expensive to maintain than simply throwing chemicals into the pool but, as our guest noted, the experience is far more pleasurable and luxurious.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing