“Kudos to the General Manager”

and 1 more site!
Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 23 July 2006

My husband and I just returned from Sandals Montego Bay. We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary there. We are return guests to Sandals. Of all the Sandals we visited, Montego Bay is by far the best. The grounds, the rooms, the pools are impeccable. The food and service were excellent. All the employees are kind and congenial. My husband and I have no complaints. We had the opportunity to be in the presence of the General Manager, Horace Peterkin numerous times. We have been to other Sandals and this was the first time ever we were in the presnce of the general manager let alone talk with him. Mr. Peterkin is a hands-on manager. This means so much when the general manager shows his presence and talks with the guests. At the return guest party, (and of all the Sandals we have been to, this was the most elegant and organized. You could tell alot of thought and planning went into the evening) Horace Peterkin introduced himself to each return guest and welcomed them back and chatted with each guest individually. Sandals Montego Bay is the best organized and run Sandals we have been to. We could see the admiration and respect the employees have for Mr. Peterkin. You can tell by the way the employees enjoy their jobs and how they take their jobs to heart. We have never been treated as well, and have never enjoyed a vacation as much as our stay at Sandals MoBay. We contribute all of this to the fine job Horace Peterkin is doing and we feel that he should be commended and congratulated on the excellent job he is doing.
We wil definitely return to Sandals Montego Bay.

Debbie and Harry Whited

20  Thank debbiekay
Write a ReviewReviews (5,657)

Reviewed 21 July 2006

wife and I enjoyed our stay the rooms were outstanding and the service was great. We suggest the concierge service, the staff tends to needs and requests. We bought jewelry from Casa Doro at the city center, a watch and a ring . The ring had to be sized, we purchased at 3pm the jewler promised delivery between 6p- 6:15p he delivered at 6:10p. We had our concerns but the concierge team assured us the jewler was of a good reputation. The entertainment was outstanding as was the buffet . The wait staff was incredilbe. I suggest an ocean view room, the sun rise is spectacular. Be sure to meet the manager he is very friendly a fantastic singer.

Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank 4seasonsdr
Reviewed 20 July 2006

Now, neither my husband nor I have ever been to an all-inclusive resort before this trip, our honeymoon, but neither of us were ready to leave after our 8-night stay! We were so impressed by many aspects of this vacation!

First, the service! Even when I have gone to an upscale hotel or retaurant in the States (where people are working for TIPS), I have never experienced service like that at Sandals MoBay. It seemed that every single employee--gardner, office staff, playmaker, maid, etc.--said hello, welcomed us and genuinely seemed to care that we were comfortable. No one was grumpy, no one ever seemed put out, and everyone was always happy. This was a pleasant change from life in Buffalo, NY! Sometimes we found it difficult to resist tipping our servers, bartender, or cleaning person...but we were told by one of the staff members that they would be in trouble if they accepted a tip!

Second, the food! The breakfast buffet was wonderful! I only selected from the variety of fresh fruit and a bagel each morning, but my husband was well within his comfort zone piling his plate with bacon, fruit, french toast, pastries and english muffins every morning! These foods were only a sampling of the wide offerings we had to choose from each morning. For lunch we often grabbed a burger, quesadilla or jerk chicken from the Beach Grill (easy, efficient, convenient) or on other days we would go to the illustrious buffet at the Bayside where we had breakfast. Lots of seafood, lots of fresh fruit, salads, and yummy desserts every day! We were pretty impressed with the quality of the food at the restaurants for dinner. My husband's favorite was Tokyo Joe's where you select from vegetables, meats, rice and pasta, give it all to the chef who cooks it (with a flourish) in a wok over open flame. I liked Cucina Romana, the Italian place, where you would never know you weren't eating your meal in Rome instead of Jamaica! The wine kept flowing (you could buy a bottle or drink the house stuff for free. We say don't waste your money...after 3 or 4 glasses it's all the same anyway!)

One of the things that really made our trip memorable were the Playmakers (entertainment staff). Granted, at times they were a little louder and more rowdy than we hoped, but all-in-all our beach volleyball games in the morning, contests in the afternoon (we came in 3rd in the kissing contest--whoohoo!) and classes--like Mixology 101, History of Jamaica--really made our trip delightful. By the end of the trip we felt we had forged friendships with the Playmakers, especially Kevon (what a sweetheart and our favorite) and Baby Boi (fun, but only in short bursts...gets exhausting!)

The planes flying overhead became part of the fabric of the resort. Each time a plane flew by everyone waved and kissed their s.o. This changed something potentially annoying into something that really gave the resort character. Again, thanks to the Playmakers, I think.

Our room was beautiful, clean, cool and had an awesome view of the ocean with a patio where we played Scrabble and drank champagne or Red Stripes several nights during our stay. It was far enough from the main area of the resort not to be noisy, but close enough to never be inconvenient. A fully stocked minibar (included in the Concierge rooms) was definitely a plus. Our concierge made our reservations wherever we went: to dinner, to Dunn's River Falls, etc. Again, so convenient!

We could go on and on about how wonderful our stay was at MoBay. We recommend it, but we think it's probably better suited to younger couples who are interested in doing some activites and having some down time, rather than people who are looking for total relaxation....but then again, there's a great spa for that right on the resort!

Thanks for an AWESOME honeymoon!
--Maria and Jeff

16  Thank hops032
Reviewed 20 July 2006

We went for our honeymoon July 3-10 and had an awesome time. We are already planning a return trip! I will break my review down into the different parts of the trip we experienced.

ROOM - We had the honeymoon beachfront suite. We were very pleased with our room. It was all the way at the end of the resort. We had the fully stocked bar, a small private beach, and an incredible view. It was a little expensive but we splurged a little bit for the honeymoon. We will probably stay in a cheaper room next time. A lot of reviews complained about needing keys for the AC but ours worked without keys. The only problem we had is that the ACs are in Celcius. We set ours to 16 degrees, not realizing that is only 60 F! (22C is about 70F). Our special requests for our mini bar were always met without problem.

BEACH - The beaches were very nice, very clean, and never too crowded. Although our room had a small beach in front of it we went down to the main beach every day. There are more than enough chairs for everyone, and the water is calm and warm. There are lots of activites in the beach area as well (billiard contests, dancing lessons, dart throwing, etc) and there is almost always music playing. Plus the beach bar and grill is right there. We didn't get much of a chance for the watersports but it seemed like there was alot to do.

RESTAURANTS
Breakfast- Most people ate breakfast at the Bayside, where they have a buffet. It is a typical breakfast buffet with a few Jamaican specialties thrown in. Not bad but nothing to rave about. Most people don't realize that they serve breakfast at Cucina Romana as well. The two times we went we were one of 3 couples in the whole restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was fast.

Lunch - The Bayside has another adequate buffet. We ate most of our lunches at the Beach Grille which had surprisingly good food and lightning quick service. (Quesadillas were my favorite).

Dinner - I was not impressed with dinner at the Bayside. I ordered fish and it was very dry and a rather small portion. I enjoyed Tokyo Joes even though I'm not sure that I would call that Japanese cuisine. If you can't handle spicy food stay away! My wife ordered hers mild and was still sweating it out. My "medium spicy" dish was probably the hottest I had on the trip (and I like spicy food). Not many people eat at the OK Corral (which is what the beach grill becomes at night). We went our last day and it was some of the best food we had on the trip. I had an excellent T-bone steak and my wife had roasted chicken. Great food and good service because there aren't many people there. The Oleander and the Cucina Romana were also very good. Make your reservations for Tokyo Joe and Cucina Romana as soon as you arrive, they fill up fast. Don't forget long pants for the Cucina and Oleander room as well.

Late night - Beach Grill reopens at 11pm with the same menu as lunch time. Very good after drinking all day.

We also took the bus over to Sandals Royal Carribbean and ate at the Royal Thai restaurant--HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

BARS
Beach Bar - Lots of fun, very friendly bartenders. Duncan was our favorite, ask him to make you the "King Duncan Special".

Piano/Pool Bar - Very crowded most of the time. People tended to get a little drunk and a little loud here. (Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your taste). The night bartender, Dean, was cool and has a ton of special drinks he makes. The daytime batender, Gary, was a good bartender but didn't seem as friendly.

Main Bar - Always a ton of people here. Grant was our favorite bartender here. At night when they are doing the shows in the amphitheatre (which is a few feet from the bar) it gets very, very hot in this area.

Disco - We didn't spend much time here. They open it up as sort of a dance club at night. The only time we were in there was to watch the World Cup finals, but they had snacks, beer, and cocktails.

EXCURSIONS
Dunns River Falls - Everyone does this one. Lots of fun, highly recommended.

Sea Trek - This was much better than I expected. They put a big "space" helmet on you and fill it with air. You walk on the seafloor 20-30 feet underwater, breathing normally, and your head doesn't even get wet. I can't swim very well and was worried before we went on this but I had a great time. Bring an underwater camera with you...the photos here are very expensive.

Dreamer Catamaran - Very fun. I'm not a big snorkeler but I survived. Margaritaville was fun (but expensive...$7.50 for a margarita). The rum punch on the boat will sneak up on you if your not careful!

Rose Hall Great house - This is a supposedly haunted plantation house. The owner is said to have killed all 3 of her husbands and uncountable slaves. I thought it was an interesting tour (but I'm a history teacher) and had some beautiful scenery. Its only 2 hours including the short ride to it and back so give it a try.

Shopping - Do not take the shopping trip. The craft market is scary to say the least. People were selling all kinds of stuff out of little shacks and were very desperate to sell you something. A few people with us were hounded by a drug dealer. Then you go into town into stores with "authentic Jamaican merchandise" that are full of average junk that you can get at the Jersey Shore (alot of the craft market stuff was also at the stores in town). You will also be hounded by beggars who will come up to your bus at red lights. You are better off taking a taxi to the Half Moon shopping center or the Rose Hall shopping center, its cheaper to get there and the stores are a little better. Also ,Sandals had vendors come onto the resort and set up near the beach a few times during the week.

Overall it was a great trip, the room was very nice, the food was great, and there was lots to do on and off the resort. Like I said earlier we are already trying to plan a return trip in the near future.

31  Thank KellyandBruce
Reviewed 19 July 2006

We spent our honeymoon in MoBay July 3rd through the 9th. Flying in was no hassle at all but flying out in a non airconditioned airport was horrible. Mobay was wonderful and everything we wanted it to be. We stayed in the watersedge honeymoon conceirge room. It was very clean and plenty big enough for us. The ocean view was something I had never seen before and at times was in awe. Maid service wasn't up to par. Cleaned the room around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but we were on the third floor not sure if thats why or not. The drinks flowed like a river. Anything you wanted they had at least anything we wanted. The staff was so friendly. Our conceirge was Patrick for one day and then he fell ill and after that we pretty much didn't have conceirge service. The food was really good for the most part. The Ire Grill could use a lot of improvement. If you missed lunch (the restaurants stopped serving at 2:30) you had nothing but the grill and it was chicken quesidias or hamburgers and french fries everyday. The menu never changed from day to day. Your best bet is to stay at the resort, try not to venture out. The jamaicans just hound you to buy from them. I was not comfortable the whole time we were in town. The boat people that came to the resort hindered us as well. We didn't want to be bothered by them and they were always around. We tried to walk on the beach at night but they would come paddling up wanting to sell their necklaces for $8.00. The swimming pools were way too small. They have two and they were always crowded. We went to the swim up bar once just to try it but very crowded. The same with the jacuzzis they always had someone in them. We happened along the private jacuzzi over by the fitness center and it was empty but within 5 minutes another couple came along and plopped in and then 2 women came along and got in. We left. This was our honeymoon and we wanted a little more privacy then what we got. The only place for privacy was in your room. Over all we liked our trip but would look else where within Sandals for our anniversary trip. We really enjoyed the "all inclusive" feature. No tipping is kind of bogus. We tipped often and every time we did the staff accepted it. Again the staff was extremely friendly for the most part but the concierge staff needs to step it up a bit. They did not seem overly friendly or very accomodating for the extra money. The resort itself is beautiful and we really had a chance to relax and forget about home.

9  Thank sljjk