“Had a Great time!”

and 1 more site!
Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 28 November 2008

We recently returned from a trip to Sandals Montego Bay and found it be a fantastic experience. We stayed in the Oleander Block which is the only set of 8 rooms without balconies, but the room is just the same as others. The bathrooms in the Caribbean are just not up to European or new 4star hotel plus standards.

Some negative aspects about this hotel were that we found the tours desk quite unhelpful and inflexible about making all of your options clear. Plus the poor customer services skills (think "Computer says no" from Little Britain)!
The pool bar stays open later at night and some residents can hear others making noise in the early hours. There are no dressing gowns in the basic rooms.

The staff are really friendly, very genuine and very hardworking, especially the entertainment staff (called "playmakers"). They rehearse every night and the results pay-off, this resort probably has the best Hotel entertainment in Montego Bay.

It is possible to have Breakfast in the Italian restaurant upstairs and although the service is slow, they serve up a great eggs Benedict to order! and you have a great Oceanside view. The bar staff are very friendly and can mix up any drink under the sun. The food overall is pretty good with a reasonable choice over a 2 week holiday. The best aspect of this resort has to be the beach, this is one of the longest and most beautiful beaches with many trees. The waterspouts facilities are very accessible with a good choice of what you want when you want it.

We didn’t know but the Caribbean boasts duty-free shopping at discounted prices, cheaper than most places in the world. Watches and Jewellery are especially affordable at the shopping centre nearby. Don't go on the shopping excursion unless you want these type of products; get a taxi to the shopping centre yourself as the excursion gives you the hard-sell treatment! The taxis are expensive because the fuel is expensive and also because the drivers are charged with your safety out-and about. However they provide a really good service and will collect you at your leisure. Haggle with all the prices outside the hotel, much is well overpriced to gain extra money from tourists. Most of the tourist souvenirs are all the same craft style which you get bored with.

At the Sandals Royal Caribbean there is a Thai restaurant on a small island which is defiantly worth visiting. The food is served as a set menu but is very tasty. A great aspect about a Sandals holiday is the ability to access other Sandals resorts and use their all-inclusive facilities. We did this on many occasions and it adds variety.

5  Thank AndyWright
Write a ReviewReviews (5,657)

Reviewed 26 November 2008

We just returned from a four day stay at Sandals Montego Bay, Jamaica where our daughter was married. After reading some of the reviews, I must say I was a little concerned with what we would find when we arrived. It didn't take long though to realize that my worries were unfounded. The place is beautiful!! From the moment you go onto the property, its like being in a separate world. Everyone was extremely nice, helpful, and very eager to please. Our room was absolutely beautiful, just as it had been described, and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job to keep us stocked in fresh towels and not to bother us if the "Do not disturb" sign was on the door. The groundskeepers were out at daylight raking the beach, cleaning sidewalks and grassy areas, and cleaning the pool. With the island winds, there were occasionally leaves in the pool but they were always quick to try to keep it spotless. Even my husband was impressed and he is very hard to please. Our wedding coordinator, Girdene, did an excellent job of making the wedding plans so easy and after having done the big, extravagant wedding in the past, I can tell you that this is the way to go!! They do it all and it was just perfect. Anything we asked for they did their best to make it happen and the entire wedding party (22 people) had a great time and plan to return. The drinks were wonderful and the food was honestly better than I had expected. I do think the desserts could be better but that is definitely not a reason to keep me from going back! We did not experience bugs, cats, roaches, or any of the other gross things that some people had said about the resort. Being close to the airport is definitely great due to the Jamaican roads and I can honestly say that the planes overhead did not bother any of us. They are so few that its fun to watch and wave at them as they pass overhead. Our stay was relaxing, fun, and exciting! I think I'm hooked on Sandals for Life!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank jbags39
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Sandals Montego Bay was the perfect honeymoon. We lucked out with fantastic weather. The resort itself was beautiful and very clean. When we arrived we were greeted with champagne. They took care of everything, "No worries mon".

The service was great and the food was delicious. The beach and resort itself were well maintained. I definitely suggest going to the spa.

Everything is outside, so not so good for frizzy hair:-) We are definitely planning on returning.

2  Thank snltravis
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My husband and I had the absolute best time at Sandals Montego Bay. The service and staff were fantastic and the resort itself was beautiful. I had read reviews that since it is the original Sandals that it is runned down but I found that to be untrue. It looks like they are redoing alot of it. Our room was beautiful and had an amazing view. The food was delicious except at the Bayside buffet to be truthful. The different drinks they made were great, try the Jamaican smile and Bob Marley. The two pools were not big but didnt matter because the beach is great we stayed all day there. The entertainment staff is wonderful, if you didnt want to do things they left you alone. I liked the resort because if you wanted to party and play games there are many choices but at the same time you cacn also relax. It was a great time and I would love to go back. My husband is not a big sun person but he was out all day drinking, relaxing, and playing volleyball. He had a great time and both of us cannot wait for another Sandals experience. I would not mind going back to Montego Bay at all

3  Thank ldevo23
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My husband and I couldn't agree on whether we wanted to spend our honeymoon in Europe or on a beach. So we did Europe, then we went to Sandals Montego Bay. We chose this hotel in particular because it was close to the airport. Our trip involved a lot of time on the road, so after flying from Europe to Canada, then Canada to Jamaica, we did not want to spend another 2 hours on a bus. The plane noise is really only a big deal if you choose to make it so. The time you gain on the beach more than makes up for it, if you consider you have to leave that much early on your departure day as well, you get an extra half a day of paradise in exchange for a little noise here and there.

Since it was our honeymoon and I wanted to splurge, we booked a beach-front butler suite. The room was a little on the small side compared to other hotels, and the walls were a shockingly bright green, but we had what we needed with a walk-in closet, full jacuzzi tub, double sink vanity area, and a mini-bar that was restocked daily. Also, since we were on the ground floor, our patio opened onto a semi-private terrace, and we were literally steps to the ocean. We were also right next the to pool with the swim-up bar. So while we were a little far from the main building and restaurants, we had everything we needed just steps from the room, with room-service just a bat-phone call away.

The "bat-phone" is the cell phone they give you to contact your butler. If you explore the phone options a little, it also has sudoku and tetris in the menu which came in handy when my husband fell asleep on the swing one afternoon. We were assigned 2 butlers on check-in, Mykal and Irolette. Irolette was fantastic but Mykal was less-than useless. He didn't show up for work one day and a butler-in-training (Dwayne) filled in for him and was much much better. After many small irritations, I lost my patience with him on day 5 of 7. We met another newly-wed couple who also had a bulter suite and on that day the pool-bar had no functioning blenders. We all wanted banana daquiris, so we phoned our butlers (this is something they are supposed to do for you, it's in the welcome letter when you check in). Their butler warned them it would be a few minutes, and arrived in 10 minutes with fresh-made daquiris from the lobby bar.

One hour later,the other couple is done their drinks and getting ready to go for lunch and we haven't had so much as a phone call. So I went to the front desk to speak to guest services. They were polite and helpful and reassigned me to a new butler, Darrion, who went beyond the call of duty and even lent my husband his shoes so we could eat at the Oleander restaurant (semi-formal dress code). Before you think I am some high-maintenance nightmare, I should explain that Mykal's service had been par for the course, I would not have complained, at most I would have made a mental note that bulter service is not worth the extra $$$. But having Mykal was like having the defective bumper car at the fair that just spins in circles no matter what you do. I always carried cash on me and was prepared to tip generously for each and every thing he did to make our honeymoon special, but he never DID anything. So, to recap, Darrion, Dwayne, Irolette = Good, Mykal... not so much.

As for the rest, the staff was friendly, the food was great, room service was decadent (if not always punctual), and the wicker swings are a great way to spend a cloudy afternoon.

But aside from the view from our patio, my favourite thing about the trip is the "Sandals experience" (this is our 3rd trip to a Sandals hotel): the airport lounge with a CLEAN washroom, the relaxing check-in/check-out experience, not having to wheel your luggage through a strange hotel at night with nothing more than a room number and a badly photocopied hotel map, no wrist-bands etc, no early-morning line-ups to reserve "a la carte" dinners that are no better than the buffet... The list goes on... Would I go back to Sandals Montego Bay? Sure, but there are lots of other Sandals properties I'd like to check out too.

4  Thank addicted2palm_trees