5,980 results
All reviews palms building our honeymoon oleander room almonds building cucina romana tokyo joes stew fish butler service piano bar bayside restaurant sea grapes royal caribbean close to the airport cafe de paris main bar water skiing water sports
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We just returned from a four day stay at Sandals Montego Bay, Jamaica where our daughter was married. After reading some of the reviews, I must say I was a little concerned with what we would find when we arrived. It didn't take long though to realize that my worries were unfounded. The place is beautiful!! From the moment you go onto the property, its like being in a separate world. Everyone was extremely nice, helpful, and very eager to please. Our room was absolutely beautiful, just as it had been described, and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job to keep us stocked in fresh towels and not to bother us if the "Do not disturb" sign was on the door. The groundskeepers were out at daylight raking the beach, cleaning sidewalks and grassy areas, and cleaning the pool. With the island winds, there were occasionally leaves in the pool but they were always quick to try to keep it spotless. Even my husband was impressed and he is very hard to please. Our wedding coordinator, Girdene, did an excellent job of making the wedding plans so easy and after having done the big, extravagant wedding in the past, I can tell you that this is the way to go!! They do it all and it was just perfect. Anything we asked for they did their best to make it happen and the entire wedding party (22 people) had a great time and plan to return. The drinks were wonderful and the food was honestly better than I had expected. I do think the desserts could be better but that is definitely not a reason to keep me from going back! We did not experience bugs, cats, roaches, or any of the other gross things that some people had said about the resort. Being close to the airport is definitely great due to the Jamaican roads and I can honestly say that the planes overhead did not bother any of us. They are so few that its fun to watch and wave at them as they pass overhead. Our stay was relaxing, fun, and exciting! I think I'm hooked on Sandals for Life!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank jbags39
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Sandals Montego Bay was the perfect honeymoon. We lucked out with fantastic weather. The resort itself was beautiful and very clean. When we arrived we were greeted with champagne. They took care of everything, "No worries mon".

The service was great and the food was delicious. The beach and resort itself were well maintained. I definitely suggest going to the spa.

Everything is outside, so not so good for frizzy hair:-) We are definitely planning on returning.

2  Thank snltravis
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My husband and I had the absolute best time at Sandals Montego Bay. The service and staff were fantastic and the resort itself was beautiful. I had read reviews that since it is the original Sandals that it is runned down but I found that to be untrue. It looks like they are redoing alot of it. Our room was beautiful and had an amazing view. The food was delicious except at the Bayside buffet to be truthful. The different drinks they made were great, try the Jamaican smile and Bob Marley. The two pools were not big but didnt matter because the beach is great we stayed all day there. The entertainment staff is wonderful, if you didnt want to do things they left you alone. I liked the resort because if you wanted to party and play games there are many choices but at the same time you cacn also relax. It was a great time and I would love to go back. My husband is not a big sun person but he was out all day drinking, relaxing, and playing volleyball. He had a great time and both of us cannot wait for another Sandals experience. I would not mind going back to Montego Bay at all

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ldevo23
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My husband and I couldn't agree on whether we wanted to spend our honeymoon in Europe or on a beach. So we did Europe, then we went to Sandals Montego Bay. We chose this hotel in particular because it was close to the airport. Our trip involved a lot of time on the road, so after flying from Europe to Canada, then Canada to Jamaica, we did not want to spend another 2 hours on a bus. The plane noise is really only a big deal if you choose to make it so. The time you gain on the beach more than makes up for it, if you consider you have to leave that much early on your departure day as well, you get an extra half a day of paradise in exchange for a little noise here and there.

Since it was our honeymoon and I wanted to splurge, we booked a beach-front butler suite. The room was a little on the small side compared to other hotels, and the walls were a shockingly bright green, but we had what we needed with a walk-in closet, full jacuzzi tub, double sink vanity area, and a mini-bar that was restocked daily. Also, since we were on the ground floor, our patio opened onto a semi-private terrace, and we were literally steps to the ocean. We were also right next the to pool with the swim-up bar. So while we were a little far from the main building and restaurants, we had everything we needed just steps from the room, with room-service just a bat-phone call away.

The "bat-phone" is the cell phone they give you to contact your butler. If you explore the phone options a little, it also has sudoku and tetris in the menu which came in handy when my husband fell asleep on the swing one afternoon. We were assigned 2 butlers on check-in, Mykal and Irolette. Irolette was fantastic but Mykal was less-than useless. He didn't show up for work one day and a butler-in-training (Dwayne) filled in for him and was much much better. After many small irritations, I lost my patience with him on day 5 of 7. We met another newly-wed couple who also had a bulter suite and on that day the pool-bar had no functioning blenders. We all wanted banana daquiris, so we phoned our butlers (this is something they are supposed to do for you, it's in the welcome letter when you check in). Their butler warned them it would be a few minutes, and arrived in 10 minutes with fresh-made daquiris from the lobby bar.

One hour later,the other couple is done their drinks and getting ready to go for lunch and we haven't had so much as a phone call. So I went to the front desk to speak to guest services. They were polite and helpful and reassigned me to a new butler, Darrion, who went beyond the call of duty and even lent my husband his shoes so we could eat at the Oleander restaurant (semi-formal dress code). Before you think I am some high-maintenance nightmare, I should explain that Mykal's service had been par for the course, I would not have complained, at most I would have made a mental note that bulter service is not worth the extra $$$. But having Mykal was like having the defective bumper car at the fair that just spins in circles no matter what you do. I always carried cash on me and was prepared to tip generously for each and every thing he did to make our honeymoon special, but he never DID anything. So, to recap, Darrion, Dwayne, Irolette = Good, Mykal... not so much.

As for the rest, the staff was friendly, the food was great, room service was decadent (if not always punctual), and the wicker swings are a great way to spend a cloudy afternoon.

But aside from the view from our patio, my favourite thing about the trip is the "Sandals experience" (this is our 3rd trip to a Sandals hotel): the airport lounge with a CLEAN washroom, the relaxing check-in/check-out experience, not having to wheel your luggage through a strange hotel at night with nothing more than a room number and a badly photocopied hotel map, no wrist-bands etc, no early-morning line-ups to reserve "a la carte" dinners that are no better than the buffet... The list goes on... Would I go back to Sandals Montego Bay? Sure, but there are lots of other Sandals properties I'd like to check out too.

4  Thank addicted2palm_trees
Reviewed 17 November 2008

We were Jamaican-Memories

From start to finish the staff at Sandals Resort Montego Bay Jamaica treated our group like True Royalty! Check in was quick and painless getting us to our rooms under an hour from the time our plane landed and well before the scheduled “check-in time”. Our entire group had beautiful rooms that were near each other and looking out over the Caribbean Sea. The meals, drinks and service were unparallel with any Resort vacation anyone from our group had ever experienced in the past. Sandals Montego Bay is a MUST to return!
Each of our rooms had balconies overlooking the garden that meets up to the Caribbean Sea. The afternoon we checked in there was a wedding on the grounds with kettle drum music and romance. Something truly spectacular to witness; it set the tone for our week!
Everyday our group would meet for breakfast to determine our daily schedule, Ha! A few of us went Scuba Diving, while others Snorkeled and the rest of the group would lay out in the sun or under our canopy just relaxing. We dove five days including one night dive. The one’s who didn’t Scuba, snorkeled nearly every day.
Two days we did excursions off the resort; The Hip Strip shopping and Dunn River Falls. Both were very exciting and it was nice to get off the resort to mingle with the locals. The locals were as friendly and nice as the staff; never did any of us have any worries about safety. Dunn River Falls is a great tour to go on and a very exciting day. For our group we had a private driver that took us to the fall’s then to Sandals Dunn River Falls for our lunch, drinks and swimming. Private tours are the way to go.
I highly recommend making dinner reservation, as we did, at all three restaurants; Tokyo Joe's is wild! The meals were filling and extremely good giving everyone in our group plenty of choices. Never once did I hear anyone complain about any of the meals we were served either from the breakfast buffet to the sit down restaurant.
The drinks from any and all of the bars were nothing but top shelf liquor. In our rooms we had four bottles of liquor in dispensers, a bottle of Berringer red and white wine, and a refrigerator stocked with various soft drinks, water, mixers and Red Strip beer. Each day the staff would restock anything that we drank the night before. If we wanted something special or a little more of one thing and less of something else, no problem; it was taken care of.
While in Jamaica we visited two other Sandals Resorts, Dunn River Falls and Royal Caribbean. Both resorts are very nice and between all three Sandals Resorts, they each had their positive points. However, Sandals Montego Bay is the resort that fit our group best. The beach is private {as with the other two Sandals} yet is long and continuous; not broken up. The Staff extremely friendly and helpful of anything you need assistance with. Scuba Diving and snorkeling was out of this world.
As mentioned prior, I will be taking another group to Sandals Montego Bay in 2009; don’t miss out on this one!
We took over 400 pictures; if anyone is interested, please contact me.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends