My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay from May 20-26. While the weather for the first half of the trip was overcast, we still had a blast relaxing and playing at the resort.
We arrived in Montego Bay and quickly made our way through immigration and customs. We retrieved our luggage and made our way to the Sandals lounge at the airport. After confirming our reservation, we were told the airport porters and shuttle drivers were not Sandals employees. No big deal as I customarily tip those individuals always. We entered the lounge and had enough time to grab a Red Stripe and quickly look around. Off to the resort we go.
Upon arrival at the resort, we were told to follow someone to check in. Well the person took us to the Butler lounge. We had booked concierge level. We were taken to the correct lounge to proceed with our check in. Concierge and Butler level do not use the front desk. Our room was ready, so the concierge escorted us to our room. We had booked a 1st floor concierge beach front walk out room. The concierge took us to a 3rd floor room. Before complaining we wanted to see if the room would suite us. We looked outside on the balcony, and we had a great view of the ocean. Below us were the basketball court, volleyball court, beach bar, and then the ocean. We would not have this view on the first floor. We decided to keep it. The room was small but comfy. We had a liquor cabinet (rum, vodka, gin and wine) and refrigerator full of drinks, juices and Red Stripe. Our room attendant Jennifer was very sweet and did a great job. They would come to your room 3 times a day if you wanted. There was a sign to hang on the door that either said PLEASE CLEAN or DO NOT DISTURB. My only complaints on the room were minimal. The bathroom door was a sliding door and was kind of cheap. It looked more like a piece of wood than a door. Also, if we booked a 1st floor room, how is it possible we were taken to a 3rd floor?
Resort, Food, and Drink:
The resort was very nice. I was impressed with how clean it was. No garbage lying around anyplace. It was decorated nicely and the landscaping was gorgeous. There are all kinds of tropical plants all over the place. Everyone we came across was very pleasant. The bar service was hit or miss. We did frequent all 3 bars. The Beach bar was by far the fastest. The piano bar was next. The main bar was always slow no matter when we visited it or how crowded it was. Drinks were definitely plenty strong. We especially liked the beach drink service. It was great sitting on the beach while someone brought your drinks from the bar. We visited the Bayside for the buffet, Cucina Romana, Stewfish, Tokyo Joe’s, and the Royal Thai at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Each one served excellent food. For those who complain about the food, why do you even go on vacation? I consider myself a picky eater, and I always had a wonderful meal with plenty to choose from. Even the breakfast buffet at the Bayside was good. We especially liked the beachside grill and pizzeria for lunch. We tried the pizza, jerk chicken, nachos, and quesadillas. While it is true several airplanes a day did fly right over the resort, it did not bother us at all. The earliest flight was around 8am with the latest around 8pm.
There are plenty of activities for everyone. You can be as involved as you want. We snorkeled, kayaked, and visited the spa. Also they have many different games to play to win prizes. We played bingo and won Sandals necklaces, on Casino Night we played blackjack for raffle tickets and won a Jamaica beach bag, hat, and earrings. There is also beach volleyball, ping pong or billiards tournaments, and many other activities. The Playmakers do a good job making things interesting. We especially enjoyed playing bingo with Hartlon.
Overall, we really enjoyed our week at Sandals Montego Bay. After reading some of the reviews I was really not sure what to expect. Some of the people that complain would not be happy anyplace. A definite must is to get the daily listing of activities and restaurant times each morning. We would definitely recommend friends and family to visit Sandals Montego Bay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Largest private white sand beach on the north coast •The entertainment capital of the Sandals brand with nightly professional shows and upbeat, active, fun-loving daytime activities. •Six exquisite dining options•Complimentary transfers to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Carlyle. Enjoy all the luxuries included in our “stay at one, play at three” concept offering 18 dining options •Air-conditioned departure lounge•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Montego Bay Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Hotel Montego Bay
- Montego Bay Sandals Hotel
- Sandal Montego Bay