7,194 results
All reviews sunset beach water park lazy river the grill jerk chicken italian restaurant pirate ship grilled cheese water shoes swim up bar sea urchins kids club food was great family resort french fries hot dogs adult pool
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Just back from 5 nights at Sunset Beach. Took 2 kids (9 &14). We had a blast. Very nice/tropical resort. Lots of activites from the 3 pools, waterpark, basketball, tennis, mini-golf and ocean equipment. Rooms are very plain but clean. Food was very good, especially the Chinese and Italian restaurants. Have been to Mexico many times and the food in Jamaica was by far the best. Very friendly staff once you get past the front desk. Need to remember life is slow there so no hurry in anything they do. Highly recommend especially for families. Email for any questions. tmduhr@facstaff.wisc.edu.

4  Thank theresa_marie
Reviewed 18 April 2006

I must first say that I read many reviews before going to the Sunset Beach, and man oh man are some people picky!! This place is wonderful...keeping in mind what you paid for it. The food at the buffet was good but bland. Breakfast was good with many choices, including omlets that they make for you the way you want. Both the Chinese and Italian resturants were great...lots of flavor and the service was amazing. One of the servers even made me a rose out of a paper napkin while we were eating dinner. Depending what you drink, the drinks were fine on alcohol to us. Although some people prefer them a little stronger, ask...they don't have problem adding more. About the travel mugs. I read SO much about bring one along. So much in fact that I brough my boyfriends and mine along...only for them to sit in our room the whole time. The drink glasses are not dixie cups. Yes, they are small but almost no one seemed to mind. Out of all of the people that were there, maybe 5-10% actually used a travel mug instead of the plastic glasses. The beaches are nice and depending which side you swim at, the water socks are not needed. Snorkeling was great, but you are on a time limit and they can be hard to get in the middle of the day. So if that will be a hassle for you or your family buy them before you go. There is a wonderful photographer on the resort that takes pictures of everyone. You can go to the photo desk in the lobby and view your pictures. They were really nice. I ended up buying two 5x7's for $8 a piece, which I thought wasn't bad. There is tons to do here. Not only do they have all of the non motorized water sports but ping pong, tennis, mini golf,a few pool tables, board games, cards, dominoes, and tons more games that you can rent from the game/towel hut. My only complaint is that the room walls are paper thin. I was up for breakfast everyday, but I would have liked to sleep past seven or eight. I could hear doors slam, people yelling and talking loud, and banging. We were in the Sunrise tower. I am not sure how the rest of the rooms were, but ours was loud. Tipping is something that everyone should do if you know that someone worked hard to help you. The maids are great, and kept our room clean and free of sand. When you go into town for shopping be aware that people WILL trick you. Don't fall for anyone who comes up to you saying that they work at the Sunset and know you. Also if possible cover your Sunset wrist bands with something when you go into town, otherwise they know what resort you stay at and you are now a walking target. Put your gaurd up and be ready to say "No Thank you", alot. If you talk to Lisa at the hotel, she is the Funjet activity planner. She really helped us out. She hooked us up with a store in town that will come and pick you up for free and bring you to their store to shop. They let you walk around the town and shop, just go back to their store and they will give you a ride back to the hotel. Don't forget to tip ALL drivers. We did the Chukka Blue horseback ride and swim. It was wonderful. The ride was hot in the sun, but the water cools you off. The swim is pretty short, but if you get the right guide you can get them to take you in the water again. Be aware though, you might be making your group wait. All in all we had a great time and can't wait to go back. Will be planning my next vacation their for sure. Hope this was helpful, and have a great time in jamaica mon!!!

8  Thank foxybeejer
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Returned from SSB on 4/14 and would recommend the resort to people with children. SSB is not a five star resort and I knew that going in so I was not disappointed. It is a value priced resort staffed with a hard working staff in a beautiful location. People that complain about the resort are probably unhappy anywhere that isn't a five star resort--it's true you get what you pay for. My family was very happy here. The lobby was very nice to sit and enjoy drinks or some nightly entertainment. The buffet was not spectacular but HELLO it is a buffet-- trying to satisfy hundreds of tastes is not an easy task. The people at the resort work hard and I never experienced a rude employee, My family took the catamaran tour on the "Island Dreamer" and had a great time. It was nice to get out on the water. Go to Sunset relax and enjoy--don't let negative reviews scare you away............

5  Thank SunnyNJ
Reviewed 17 April 2006

We were at SSB from 4/7-4/13 with another family. Our boys had a great time at the waterpark. We stayed in the West Inn and our room was right in front of the pool. Could not have asked for a better spot. We got into our rooms around 2pm and the rooms were just like other posters had said. No surprises other then they do have a shampoo and shower dispenser and an ice bucket in the room and someone had said they did not provide this in an earlier post.

The front desk gal could have looked at us when talking to us but no big deal there. We were able to extend one room on check out day till 1pm which allowed us hang out at the pool a little longer .

We did alot of comparing SSB to the Wyndam Rose Hall (we stayed there last year) and decided the food was alot better at SSB! I am not sure what people expect and some people will never be happy but we felt the food was great.
I am not sure what more they could have provided at breakfast....omelette's, real french toast, eggs, oatmeal, cereal, pancakes, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, bagels and toast, fish, sweet rolls and great banana bread,yogurt,cheese and coldcuts, hash browns or potatos, and usually some kind of greens. We thought it was great!
Wyndam did not have nearly the selection of SSB at any meal.

Like all posters said you need to bring a larger mug or water bottle to fill up with at the bar so you don't make so many trips. I had one drink pineapple and rum in a dixie cup and could not drink it because it was too much rum. Depends I guess on how much alchol you are used to drinking in your drinks. They are very flexible at the bar.

You do need the water shoes for walking out into the ocean. The sand itself is not a problem to walk on but when you get out into the water there are plants and lots of marine life. Saw a bunch of sea urchins that you might not want to step on barefoot.

There are no motorized sports there due to the natural reef that goes around the hotel but we knew that going in from another poster.

The water park is nice, not sure what they are doing with the big ship because that was blocked off but it provided a source of shade in the water when you stood next to it. They really need some umbrella's around the pool. The sun is so strong so use lots of sunscreen! Around all of the pools you need to be careful when walking because the there is brink layed in the concrete and if you walk on it, your feet can go right out from under you. Saw lots of people fall!

There were about 4 weddings going on in the courtyard behind our room the week we were there so it was fun to watch.

Our kids had a great time going into the teen center, playing putt putt golf and playing with all of the other kids at the pool.

I found the staff to be very friendly,and helpful even without tipping. I talked to everyone down to the gardners and found everyone to be polite and very friendly.

Although we liked the waterpark at Rose Hall a little more you could not beat walking out of your room every morning and grabbing a chair right in front of you . We think there is alot more at SSB that is better than Rose Hall so we would probably stay at SSB again with out a doubt. Great property for your money!

Did the Canopy tour and that was FANTASTIC!!!!!!

23  Thank charrida
Reviewed 15 April 2006

We just returned last night from a 4-night stay at Sunset Beach and 4 nights was plenty. I had been reading these reviews for months, and now feel obligated to write one myself. The place definetly has some good points. Great for families, lots for the kids to do, although living in NJ, we can visit a water park any time, so that was no big deal to us, although my 9-year old seemed to love it, and we all tried the slides a time or two. The night time entertainment was good. We've been to many island destinations, where dinner was about all that was offered, so it was nice to have activities each evening. The beach was okay, not nearly as nice as other destinations we have been. Unfortunately, the last 2 days we were there, the water was very cloudy, so snorkling was out of the question.
The trip to dunns river falls was well worth the long trip. We were glad we took that excursion.

Unfortunately, there are some not so good points as well. The food was, in my opinion, terrible. We tried to get reservations as soon as we arrived on Monday, but were told they were booked until Friday (we left on Friday). We were however able to take advantage of 2 cancellations, so made it to both the Italian and Chinease. Both were very good. The buffet however was not. Same things each morning and afternoon and just not good. If you are a coffee drinker as I am, you will have a hard time adjusting to their coffee. I switched to tea for the 4 days I was there.

The drinks were very weak. We brought large cups, but I wonder if even the liquor in the bottles is watered down. The room was awful. There was a terrible stench the moment you left the elevator until you got to the room, and then the room had a musty humid smell. Even our bathing suits hanging in the bathroom would not dry. Terrible plant pots by the elevator used as an ashtrys, empty plastic cups everywhere...it was just not what i had expected.

The staff to me was not unpleasant, but did not go out of there way to be nice either. I suppose if you tipped them, it may have been different, but to use, that was already taken care of when we paid for the trip, so we didnt really tip, except for the waiters in the restaurants, who were VERY nice.

The other thing was that there was no motorized water sports offered on the resort. I suppose you had to go off of the campus to find the trips, but not even a jet ski or bannana boat ride or para-sailing. That was unfortunate as well, but if you are on a tight budget, its probably a good thing that the temptation was not there.

I almost wish I had just waited to take the trip I really wanted, instead of settling for the SSB. Even my 12 year old daughter was ready to go home. We ran into someone in the elevator who had been there for 12 nights and we could not believe it. How could anyone stay for that long?

We were glad to be going home.

2  Thank Culture20045