“Good not Great...needs some work”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed 13 July 2005

The people are the best part of the resort...VERY helpful and friendly.

However, this place needs an overhaul...it has some odor problems in most indoor places. There are a lot of kids running around and the food is below average.

There are no clocks in the rooms and they aren't very clean...the AC was great though and plenty to watch on TV....

Prob would not stay here again....however, if you are derailed on Air Jamaica (happens quite often) and you HAVE to spend a night in MB on the airline's tab....this isn't a bad place for the night....

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,819)

Reviewed 13 July 2005

We booked our honeymoon for 7 nights at the Sunset. We stayed in the beach inn and had a great oceanfront view. Our maid was nice, we tipped her about every other day and she left extra towels. We enjoyed staying at the beach inn, it was more quiet than the towers and I believe we had nicer rooms. We didn't go into the tower rooms but from the pool you can tell that they had the old A/C units; we had central air (worked great by the way). The food was good. Not A++ but good enough where you didn't go hungry. The banana walk breakfast was the best. If you go for lunch expect the same stuff for dinner. The chinese restaurant was better than the italian in our opinions. The italian food just didn't cut it but hey, you may like it. We went to dunn's river falls and negril and also make sure you go on the BOOZE CRUISE. Its fantastic!! They get you all sauced up and then take you snorkeling! I am a scaredy-cat and so if I had fun you can best believe that you will too!! My husband is a jazz pianist and so when we went downtown to Margaritaville we found this great jazz club right next door called the Blue Beat. They are awesome. They let my husband sit on the gig (which means they let him play a few songs). We are ages 26 and 29 and so margaritaville was a little to rambunctious for our tastes (even though every once in while rambunctious is good:). The hotel is great for honeymooners and there were some families although I can't remember a lot of kids roaming around. Go to Sunset, you shouldn't be disappointed, unless of course you're used to the Ritz. Bring mugs, water shoes, lots of film or disp. cameras. No insecticide needed ever and I have the worst insect phobia there is. No incense needed although I did bring some just in case, our room smelled fine. All in all, evry' ting was Irie!!!

No problem mon!

• Stayed: May 2005
20  Thank NMurphy
Reviewed 12 July 2005

Our family of 4 stayed at the SSB from July 1-July 9. Our ages are 37 and 41. Our two active boys are 9 and 11. My husband and I have travelled outside of the US often to Western and Eastern Europe, Mexico, and the Carribean. The only comment that I must make about all the negative reviews of this resort is that they had to have been made by people who do not travel much OUTSIDE of the US, or simply by unhappy individuals. Keeping the title of my review in mind, read on:
ROOMS: reasonable but modest room; I had requested through e-mail a VERY quiet room, so we were placed on the 10th floor, but you could still hear some music at night. However, the humming of the air cond.unit drowned out most of it. Although we were adjacent to the construction area, there was hardly any noise from there. AIR COND.-worked perfectly the entire time. TV-worked just fine. WATER PRESSURE-yes, it was kind of low, and we did have some hot water issues, but only during the hurricane, when they informed us that some work was being done. SHEETS AND TOWELS-they were changed every day, room was maintained clean-I do have to say that when we were checking out, I overheard a lady complaining that her sheets and towels had not been changed for the past 2 days-I guess it depends on the maid as well. FOOD-for breakfast you have only one option, the Banana Walk, which is the buffet open for BRK only until 10 am. It has a variety of: omelettes and fried eggs made to order, scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, sausages, bacon, cereal, fresh fruit, dried fruit, bagels, butter, jams, toast, pastries, yogurt, oatmeal, cold and hot milk, coffee, tea, and other dishes I can't remember. At 10 am the beach grill opens, so late risers can go straight there and eat jerk chicken (barbequed chicken with a peppery hot sauce), hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and grilled cheese sandwiches. The Banana Walk openes for lunch with hot food: fried chicken, wings, potatoes, cold pasta salads, green salads, sandwiches, one day they had pizza, too. For dinner, you can keep eating at the beach grill until 7 (then again between 10pm and 1am), or you can eat at the B.Walk again: excellent soups, green salads, roasted turkey and pork (person carving for you), baked fish every night, mashed potatoes, fries, cole slaw, hot pasta with red and white sauces, rice, beans, curried chicken, curried goat, braised liver, great dessert variety, drinks, etc. Officially, you can only eat once at the Chinese and Italian Restaurants-however, if you show up 10 minutes after each seating (which are on the hour), they will seat you as space allows-most of the time they are not full (by the way, kids, they do not have pizza at the Ital.) We were pleasantly surprised that a Banana Walk dinner was served right on the beach one evening, in a very romatic ambiance-(they had ice and fruit sculptures) along with BBQ ribs, chicken, corn on the cob and many other dishes-fish, potatoes, seafood salad, etc. DRINKS: You can have as much or as little alcohol as you want-bring a mug, though. ENTERTAINMENT - DJ with games by the main pool for part of every day, music every night in the lobby (which is also the main sitting area), sometimes a band, or just one person. For the 4th of July, there was a really nice show with a combination of Jamaican, Country and Slow songs-some couples danced on the beach. One evening they organized beach games-which were fun and both kids and adults joined in and had a good time (you did not have to participate if you just wanted to watch). The DISCO is indeed dead, but I believe it is because most party-goers simply go to Margaritaville at night. There are two pool tables-one indoor (adults only) with a TV, sitting area and a bar, one outdoor for kids and adults. They have two outdoor ping pong tables, a small minigolf course, swings, 1/2 basketball court, some board games, 4 tennis courts, 3 pools, one has a volleyball net, one has a swim-up bar, the "game room" was not available-under renovation, so no video games that week. STAFF - I can say WITHOUT a doubt that the reason some people said that the staff was not friendly is that they are expecting AMERICAN-type friendly with "Hello, how can I help you? (with a huge smile) and "Is there anything else that I can do for you Ms. X" - "You have a nice day, now, OK!". Well, I have news for those people-obviously they have not travelled much outside the US to know that it's not just in Jamaica that staff simply looks at you, not necessarily smiling, waiting for you to say what you want, help you with your request and be done with it-it's the same in France, Germany, Poland, etc. Staff was just fine. TIPPING: I absolutely did not feel obligated to tip the staff - as a matter of fact I never did, my husband did it a few times, and as I observed, most people did not. On day trips however-whole different story- they TELL you that they want a tip:drivers, tour guides, etc. Obviously, you still don't have to do it. SHOPPING: Do not shop in the hotel store-way expensive. Take the $6.00 tour on the "hip strip" and 2 other places. On the "hip strip" do not buy from the first shop that you see NO MATTER WHAT THE DRIVER SAYS (discounts, etc). Also, deal and offer MUCH LESS than they ask so that you get a good price in the end, which is usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of what the first asking price is depending on the item. WATER SPORTS - this was the one area which dissapointed us: they have about 4 kayaks, but only 1 is a two-seater, they have enough pedal boats, one sail boat, but they do not let you sail it even if you know how to sail, they just take you out on a short ride. They offer no lessons, either. They have enough snorkeling equipment, but there are not many fish right there to see and nobody takes you out snorkeling-you are on your own, so I was a little uncomfortable to take the kids too far out on my own. TOURS: Unfortunately, because of the hurricane, we only got to go shopping and to Dunns River- this was a nice trip, but a long 2 hr. bus ride each way. Water-proof cameras and water shoes are a must for this - forget the video camera, you won't be able to use it unless it's water resitant, too. OVERALL - guests are all working families with or without kids, some people in their early 20s on their own, but if you expect a Ritzy, classy atmosphere, this is not it - just regular working people away from work.

• Stayed: July 2005
32  Thank Terry2014-9
A TripAdvisor Member
Surrey
Reviewed 11 July 2005

Cheap and cheerful hotel, I guess the Butlins equivelant of Montego Bay but with stunning scenary.

The hotel rooms where tired and scruffy, the air conditioning either sounded like the aeroplane we flew in on or if you turned it off you nearly suffocated in the night.

The food was average but suited a purpose, there was always plenty of it and at regular intervals.

We witnessed a few weddings during our stay, although the thought of having my picture taken on a beach with naked bodies in the background isn't my idea of romantic heaven and not one to show the grandparents when you return. The clapping from the old dears sunbathing topless at the end of the open air ceremonies was, well, like running your nails down a blackboard.

The view is stunning and waking to that every morning made it a little more bearable, as well as the people we met and joined in the evening for drinks.

If you are looking for a perfect getaway as couple, I would suggest some better resorts than this one, as we saw on our way to one of the day trips, I was rather tempted in jumping off the bus and staying at one of them. I would imagine this hotel is a cheaper option for large families who are on a budget as the staff were always interacting and playing with the children and there were activities within the grounds.

I personally would not go back, as I feel it was a bit dated and attracts the more package stylie holiday maker, if you get my drift!

• Stayed: October 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 July 2005

My new husband and i stayed at the sunset beach resort and spa for our honeymoon. upon arrival at our room we were very disappointed. to begin with, there were no alarm clocks. the bed was huge but had some hair in it...gross! the bathroom left little to be desired. the towels were dirty and the shower wasn't much better. two days in a row we had to call for new towels...which still weren't delivered when promised. then, one day we had a bug inspector come into our room and check for bugs...how romantic. while checking for bugs he knocked over a lamp and broke not only the stand but also the lightbulb, which despite repeated calls and requests to the front desk, still was not fixed for 3-4 days. our view from the "cheap seats" was disappointing. we got a garden view but ended up seeing the other tower and the roof of the lobby. we would suggest if you get a garden view, request a higher level floor (above the second or third level). they did have american tv which was nice to have and the air conditioners worked very well.
the food was decent...a little stomach ache here and there but overall it was good. the italian and chinease restaraunt were very good...we would recommend them. the bar service was also very good...the pool bar was nice and everyone at the bars were very friendly.
it was ok for us but there were a lot more children there than expected...which was kind of frustrating for young couples. we went on the negril tour and viewed it as a waste of money. the beaches are about the same as the ones at the resort and all you can do is lay on the beach for about 4 hours before going shopping in a scary part of negril and watching a sunset (like you can see at ssb). we heard from another couple that their tour (johns hall tour) was awesome.
the entertainment was ok but definately could have been better. also, there's not much to do around the resort...if you want to do anything you have to take a tour (at certain times) through ssb or go out on your own, which is a 30 dollar taxi fee...rip off. we would suggest something closer to town.
overall it was nice but definately could have had some major improvements in certain areas. for families w/ children who just want to chill out at the resort their whole vacation...it is ideal. p.s. pictures are deceiving.

• Stayed: June 2005