Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
USD 275
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
USD 403
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
USD 386
  • Pool
SeaGarden Beach Resort(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
USD 190
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 219/night.

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
USD 429
  • Breakfast included
Round Hill Hotel & Villas(Hopewell)(Great Value!)
USD 407
USD 379
  • Pool
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
USD 315
  • Breakfast included
Half Moon(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
USD 658
USD 335
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
USD 988
USD 445
Hyatt.com
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
USD 513
TripAdvisor
7,026 results
All reviewssunset beachwater parklazy riverthe grilljerk chickenitalian restaurantpirate shipgrilled cheesewater shoesswim up barsea urchinskids clubfood was greatfamily resortfrench frieshot dogsstar resort
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We had an amazing time at Sunset Beach Resort and Spa. It is a beautiful resort. Everyone was very friendly and kind. We had our Wedding there in January and it was more than i ever could have asked for the wedding planner Natalie was a joy, very sweet women who took care of everydetail. Price is very decent. The food was good alot to choose from and the grill had anything you would get back home. The beach is cleaned daily and the rooms are perfect. Don't have any complaints. The children had an amazing time and there is so much for them to do as well as the adult. We had massages at the spa which where so relaxing. I would deffinatly return to this resort.

Room Tip: suits are huge and very well priced. worth every penny
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank krista d
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My wife and I chose this resort based on it's location in Montego Bay. We had many plans to take day trips and excursions while we were there so the location and the amenities were what we were looking for. We arrived at the resort and had to wait for our room to be available but while we waited, we went to Guest Services and were greeted by Maurice. He helped us on every step of the way making sure that we got to see all of the things we wanted to. he also set up a wonderful driver for the days that we had trips. In addition he helped set up the romantic dinner on the beach. Thanks much Maurice. If we make another trip to Montego Bay, we know where we will stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kurt M
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I am writing this review from the lobby as we got kicked out of our room 12 hours before our flight. Before I begin I have to state that this was our first vacation to Jamaica, but have been to Cuba several times, so this review will have a lot of comparing to Cuba as that is all I know of the Caribbean.

Food:
I read hundreds of reviews before we left so we knew what we were in for. Buffet food was always cold and few choices but the a la cartes were fantastic, esp the asian (and I don't even like asian food normally). Breakfast was the best meal of the day by far, Clintons egg station was great, he's very fast so don't let the long line fool you. There were canned toppings for the pancakes; blueberries, apples, cherries, strawberries, very good. Ironically the only heated food was the syrup for the pancakes! By the second last day we needed a night away from the buffet so we went to the Seahorse restaurant which is just down the road at the yacht club. FANTASTIC, highly recommend. We got chicken wings, potato skins, filet mignon all for only $65US. I got really sick one night after the BBQ dinner (which was by far the best buffet dinner all week so I suspect I just over-did it!). Compared to the Cuban food we are used to, this food was not good.

Accomodation
Rooms were fine. We did not book an oceanview room but still got a corner room with a fantastic view of the bay and the beach. Only saw a couple bugs in the washroom and there was no mold. Beds were comfortable. TV was big with HDMI hookup so we got to watch movies from the Playbook at night and on the rainy days. Air conditioner was extremely loud with a rattling noise all day and night. We knew from the reviews that it would be loud at night so we asked for a higher room and got one on the 8th floor which was pretty quiet. We could hear the entertainment in our room til about midnight but no big deal; the real annoyance was the rattling aircon.

Our package was supposed to include early check in and late check out but we got neither of those. We were depending on the last check out especially because our flight isn't until 11pm tonight, leaving us without a room for 12 hours. We arrived in the morning but still didn't get a room until 3pm so we just walked around, sweating, for several hours. Check in was extremely slow (waited at least 45mins and only 4 families infront of us) and then they told us our room wouldn't be available until 3 so then another long wait when we went back at 3. Not organized. The manager called over more people to help, so they did make an effort, but still too long of a wait.

Beach
BRING WATERSHOES. My boyfriend stepped on what everyone was calling a sea urchin and we heard that lots of other people were stepping on them as well. We could see with the snorkel gear that the bottom of the main beach esp in the shallow waters was just littered with these things. Lots of seaweed, rocks etc. This beach was nothing compared to the beautiful Cuban beaches we are used to. But there is tons of beach space and you can always get a chair. I have to warn that at least 80% of the beach chairs are broken and to get the not broken ones you have to get there very early. There are photographers on the beach all day so they can take pictures of you if you want and then you can buy them at the hut in the main lobby.

Pools
The pools were good. The service at the swim up bars was very good, the bartender was fantasticly entertaining with jokes about this brother in law (who works with him there at the swim up bar) and his ex-wife. One of the pools was dirty with things floating in the water most days.

Staff
The staff in general were very good but the front desk staff didn't have a clue. When I asked them this morning about our late check-out that comes with our package they had no clue what I was talking about so we had to wait two hours to talk to the Sunquest rep cuz he was late. He then finally informed us that the late check-out does not exist and he doesn't know why it said in our package that we get it.

Other
It is well worth it to take the time to go to the hip strip. Lots to look at but be prepared to be torn in 5 directions from these ladies. You can bargain with them and get things really cheap. But the stuff at the stores in town and at the gift shop at the resort are VERY pricy. Maybe this is standard, but comparing to Cuba, things are very expensive here in Jamaica. Bring lots of cash with you. Cab rides are also very overpriced. Go outside the gates to get cheaper rates. The excursions are also pricy - I couldn't believe that some of them were over $300 for a one day trip. This weekend they offered a stay at the Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios for no extra cost, I wish we could have done that, unfortunately we are leaving right in the middle of that.

If you want to buy drugs on your vacation you can certainly do that here. The resort staff and the people in town will gladly sell you 'ganja' or 'white stuff' for a very cheap price (or so they told us). Seriously ask anyone who works at the hotel and they will direct you to the main guy. In fact don't even ask, they will come and ask you.

No cappucinos here. We love the ones you get at the Cuban resorts but here just plain coffee.

Be aware that the maid cleans the rooms mid to late afternoon (usually between 2-4). If you are one who likes to nap in the afternoon you will not be able to do that here. If you shower in the afternoon this may also be a problem. No towel art like what you get in Cuba.

Our package came with Wifi which was good. We even got a signal on our balcony, probably because we were right over the lobby. Very useful since the weather wasn't that great this week and we have nothing to do over the next several hours.

We used the same beach towel for the last 3 days of our trip because there were no clean ones at the hut any of the times we went.

Hot tub in the waterpark is extremely hot. I can't even guess what the temp is but lets just say that I couldn't go in. I tried to ease my way in but it didn't work. If a kid were to jump in there they would get burned (and this is situated right in the middle of the KIDS waterpark).

No fridge in the rooms and you cannot bring drinks or food up to the rooms so you will not be able to have cold water at night.

The whole 8th floor smelled like sewage yesterday.

There are no plastic throw-away cups at this resort which is great for the environment but what you do get are improperly washed cups with lipstick on them (same with napkins).

Didn't get any bug bites all week and normally the bugs love me - didn't even use bug spray at all.

Be aware that you will not get all the inclusions that you are paying for with this resort. And no one will even apologize to you for that. On our last day a gentleman told us that his package included 'extra a la carte dinners' but he was only getting one extra dinner so he was not impressed about that especially since the quality of the buffet is very sub-par. We booked with Thomas Cook and will never travel with them again.

To conclude: We decided to try Jamaica this time for a change and we really wish we had stuck with Cuba. We were told from several sources that by paying more for Jamaica we would get better weather, better food and more lavish facilities - well none of this is true. Food was acceptable at best, weather was cloudy and/or raining most days (only one day of full sun all week) and the facilities were below average. There wasn't really much on the property that caught our eye, very basic. We only took about half as many photos this week as we usually do on our Cuban vacations. Overall you can pay much less and get much more at a Cuban resort. We most likely will not be returning to Jamaica.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor as there is less noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 499262Alexa
MMSunset, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear 499262ALEXA,

We value your feedback in order to improve our guest experience. First, I want to thank you for mentioning the positive aspects of your visit with us such as our rooms (newly renovated), the ocean / bay views, engaging bartenders (showtenders!), and a la carte specialty restaurants. We have recently revised our Italian, Asian, and Jamaican themed restaurants and obviously you enjoyed the experience as per your review. Rest assured any concerns you had with our Banana Walk buffet style restaurant will be investigated and addressed immediately.

Our nightly live entertainment can be a bit loud, but ends at 11pm and the guest entertainment then picks up form there in our quieter Tamarind lounge. This lounge is more self contained with its own music system, pool tables, lounge area, flat screen TVs for sporting events, and dancing. This is the hub where our guests mingle and meet.

Though out of our control, I do understand your frustration with flight delays. I investigated the matter of late check outs for these scenarios with our Sunquest Travel partner. No where in their literature going back to Nov 2011 do they offer this committment of late check out or early check in. Albeit, this may have been offered by them in previous times by their own admission, but not in any recent publications. On behalf of their On the subject of delayed flights, Sunset Beach always endeavors to accommodate all our guests in these scenarios based on the availability of rooms. In the absence of room availability, we do offer our guests change rooms with showers, luggage room storage, and food and beverage at two locations at no additional cost. Check in time is 3pm to adequately prepare our rooms for incoming guests; however, we make every effort to offer rooms earlier when logistically possible to do so. Our new front desk manager is improving our check in proces with both new technology and new standard operating procedures.

The jacuzzi temperature you mentioned is within theraputic value standards , but has been adjusted to a more neutral setting, and thank you for your input on this item.
We have 3 main beaches for our guests. From time to time the tides do bring in seaweed as you had mentioned. We do our best to remove this expeditiously for aesthetic reasons. Our beaches are one of our primary attractions and we accept your feedback with appreciation.

We are an environmentally friendly hotel with many "green" programmes in place. Using pebble optic cups is "greener" than using throw away cups as you agree. Also, we use the plastic cups for two other reasons. We are a family resort and plastic is safer for children and it is also safety code to use only plastic at our 3 pool and beach bars. However, your point is still valid and we have taken the decision to use glassware in our specialty bars that are open at nights and geared for our adult guests.

You had mentioned other items that are maintenance related in nature. I assure you we do address these unforeseen events as quickly as possible in order to maintain guest comfort and satisfaction. In fact, we use an entirely new property manangement reporting system to achieve this very objective. Also in progress is an in-depth Customer Service Training programme to enhance our "Customer Care" referred to as our TLC programme to improve our guest experience on an ongoing basis. I hope you will visit with us again to see first hand our attempts to make Sunset Beach Resort Spa & Waterpark the #1 family resort in Jamaica for value and guest satisfaction.
Rooms Divsion Manager

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed here from Jan 29-Feb 2. We arrived around noon and were told to come back after 3pm for our room. Rum punch was given out while we were standing in line. We were given our wristbands and told we could go find something to eat. We luckily threw our suits and flip flops in our carry on bags so we could get more comfortable as it was hot after coming from cold weather that morning. We checked back at 3 and our room was ready.

I won't detail every single day but I'll break it down into these categories:

Pools- Very clean. Lazy river was great, needs more tubes though. Swim up bar was great, spent majority of time there. The other pool was more of an activity area, which was entertaining at times- but whoever was playing music could not decide on a single song to just let it play through. It got a little annoying after a while - so we just moved, no big deal.
Towel system is easy enough, no problems there.

Beach- Well, my first time to Jamaica... I was ready to experience some lovely soft sands.... but I know now Negril is where I will find that- not Montego Bay. It was rocky (little pebbles) and some debris. I did see a chunk of glass and that kind of freaked me out- I had my sandals on. As far as the water goes- looks amazing. But you maybe had 10-15 feet out until you hit seaweed. It would have been more inviting to see a greater breadth of good swiming area.

Food- Nice breeze and shade in the buffet area seating, and a great view at any meal time. Plenty of seating. Options for lunch each day were basic- sandwiches, salad bar, some warm offerings (chicken, quesadillas, grilled cheese, rice/potatoes). We were only able to get reservations at the chinese one. I would have do disagree with anyone who said this was fantastic food. Or maybe they just don't have a cheap chinese restaurant around them. This was sub-par from the cheapest place I have ever eaten at (even dollar scoop places). Service was good though. The food though, not anything special. I wanted to try the Italian, but it wasn't open the night we could go and I was not interested in the Jamaican place. Reservations at the chinese place were easy to get. We showed up at 7 (with no prior reservation) and told we could get in at 8. Even though the place was about 1/2 full. Ok, I would rather have a server that has time for me than not- so we came back at 8. Breakfast offerings at the buffet were decent- on par with the lunch offerings. Little repetitive after a while, but all fresh food and very edible. I was a little bummed that the fruit seemed day after day not ripe enough to eat. Drinks were good. I do wish that water was more plentiful there. You could not get it at the bars, you had to go to the soft drink machines.

Rooms/grounds- We were in the B tower and were pleased to see that our room did seem to be updated. Crisp colors and very clean. We faced the port area so we could see all the cruise ships docking- still not a bad view! We had a nice flat screen tv. Bathroom was always restocked each day with fresh towels. It was pretty quiet at night in the halls except for around 2 am- but it was obviously people getting back from the bars- it was not a big deal. Everywhere was really clean, by the pools, places to eat, hallways.

Service- This varied. Front desk, they were reserved and short in responses, but not rude. They clearly are lacking in a system of sorts to handle check-in time. Papers everywhere, computers slow. For their sanity, I hope they get some better technology and an organizational system. Bartenders were similar in responses. And we tipped $1 per two drinks almost every single time and I cannot say I saw a smile at any point of our stay. And we were pretty chipper ourselves, ask how they were doing that day, best drinks, etc. The employees just look bored or like they have heard and seen it all before (which I am sure they have). I wish I saw more of the people that I have been told are the friendliest in the world and appreciate those that are there supporting their economy with tourism.

Overall- this is a great budget place. For our first trip to Jamaica, we learned the amenities that we would like to have a higher level of, or don't need. I would return to this resort if looking for a short stay and got a great deal again that I couldn't pass up.

The biggest thing is- honestly, you are in Jamaica. It is not America/Canada/EU, so don't go expecting ALL the same things you have at home (if you do, just stay home). There is nothing wrong with waiting a little bit to get something, or its not food you would eat everyday or if it rained while you were there. You aren't at work, there is gorgeous scenery and its relaxing- grab a drink and try to remember what is important in life (because you probably didn't pay a ton of money to stay at this resort!)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Carabou
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Went for a week for a wedding in November. For the most part we had a great experience.
Prior to leaving for vacation, we had contacted the resort to upgrad our room and the bride and grooms rooms to Suite next to each other. The bride and groom arrived the two nights before us and were not upgraded and were told that they had an outstanding balance. When we arrived we also were not upgraded and were told that we never paid for an upgrade. They did not have our credit card information on file, yet somehow there was an upgrade charge made to our credit card (we did have the statement and showed it to them). The front desk staff was pretty useless with this dilema and we waited (with our 2 young children) for about 20 minutes waiting for a manager. After speaking with a manager he told us that they had no suites available but was going to put us in a newly renovated room on the "top" floor of the hotel (there are 10 floors). We were told the room wasn't ready yet but they provided us with a cell phone so we could enjoy the resort while we waited. After being given our room we were on the 9th floor, not in a newly renovated room. At this time we just gave up on the fight and dealt with it. There was a group of about 30 of us and the majority had some kind of issue with their room (most of which were minor) but some had no water or no hot water.
With that said, the room was in pretty good shape but was a bit small for 2 adults and 2 children (one needing a crib). When we asked for the crib it took about 4 hours to get one and of course they show up with a brand new crib that needs to be assembled, right after we got the baby to take a nap. They were very nice and assembled the crib in the hallway as not to disturb naptime. The maids did a great job keeping up with the mess we made daily and they were always happy to help with anything we needed.
The food was acceptable but as with any resort it is not top notch. There was always a great variety at the buffet for the adults and children and the burgers at the grill were different but really yummy. One complaint my 4 year old had was that the ice cream machine was not always working and they only had 1 flavor at a time.
We spent most of our pool time at the water park since it was easier to manage the children. The water slide was a big hit with the adults and children. We brought life vests for our kids which was great with the slide so they could go down alone. But there is a wicked current by the slide which a few of us got trapped in and had to be "rescued" by the lifeguard (quite funny for the most part) The lazy river was nice to hang out in too. There's also a little pool with a small slide near the Club Mongoose kids club. There is no bar by the water park and you have to walk to the main bar if you want a drink, which isn't terrible.
The bartenders were great and were willing to make you any drink you wanted and were creative when you didn't know what you wanted. The kids were drinking strawberry daquiries but when they were out of them the kids still wanted "pink drinks" so the bartender made a banana daquirie with grenadine to make it pink for them. We brought large insulated mugs as the drinks are quite small. You can bring some with you or they sell cute ones in the gift shop.
The gift shop is a bit pricey. But they do have vendors come to the resort daily, some days just a few and I think it was Thursdays and Saturdays they had many. What was nice about this is that the vendors don't harrass you like you experience at many other resorts. We bought some nice things and their prices are negotiable.
The Club Mongoose daycare was very nice. My children really didn't like it, but that's because they have terrible separation anxiety. The other children we traveled with loved going to "Jamaica School". The teachers there were super nice and very accomodating. Even when my kids cried they tried their best not to bother me until they couldn't calm them down. My daughter made lots of projects there that we got to bring home with us. Our last day they told us to drop by to pick up gifts for the kids (they gave them a straw purse and a maracca). We left the kids there the night of the wedding after hours when you have to pay and they put on a movie and the kids fell asleep on the bean bag chairs (they also have a "nap room" for kids to nap during the day if they are there). Our last day we tipped them for the amazing care they gave our children.
I cannot really comment on the nightlife as I was with my young children who were in bed early which meant we had to be in the room too.
We went to the beach a bit but there isn't really anything extraordinary to write about. It was a run of the mill beach, but the water was warm and calm.
One thing that came in handy for us, especially traveling with children is that we brought walkie talkies with us to communicate during nap times and when one of us wanted to be an adult for a bit.
I got a massage at the spa which was delightful. It was relaxing and they are super sweet there.
All in all we had a great time asside from the check-in fiasco. I definitely go again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the north tower which is the newer tower. The South Tower had a lot of water problems. and the West tower is right by the water park and only has 2 floors with outside enterances and no elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family