“Convenient, close to St. George's”
Review of Tropicana Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. George's
Tropicana Inn
Ranked #13 of 20 St. George's B&B and Inns
Costa Rica
“Convenient, close to St. George's”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Very close to St. George's and just by the bus stop; in fact it's just about the only hotel close to St. George's as Lazy Lagoon isn't operating. After the badly run Lexus, this place was clean, easy and friendly. Never got the Wifi to work but found another connection from somewhere. I should have asked for first floor rooms as the second floor look over ugly roofs towards the Lagoon. The AC was necessary as the room got very hot in the day and it was noisy but we sort of fixed it ourselves. The bathroom and room were spotless, fresh towels daily and lots of hot water.

I'm not into beach resorts and wanted to explore the city, so it was ideal for the both of us.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms have better view over Lagoon
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TicaTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The place was horrible.

The AC has two options high or off. If it's off the room is a furnace, if it's on, the air blows straight on you and you leave with a cold.
The wifi only works at the bar
The take out food had no taste, too salty
The bathroom rail (in the shower) broke
The soap dish was missing screws
The water wet up everything
There are dead roaches on the floor
No safe was given
Iron didn't work
Room drawer was broken
Clock was broken

The cable worked
The view is okay

I only stayed for one night. Never again.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank Starbornkaly

Travellers are raving about these St. George's hotels

Minneapolis
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Enjoyed staying here after the Hotel Flamboyant, because it's closer to the city of St George's, and the room rates were much less. Tropicana's room was comfortable and simple, clean and quite OK for what I wanted- didn't plan to spend much time in it. They claimed free internet, but really that means there are some places where you could sit with your laptop and sneak a connection from a neighboring wi-fi. I liked the staff, they were helpful and genuine.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank hebeGBMN
Reviewed 5 January 2007

I came in from the airport, looking for a hotel for one night within walking distance of the yacht club, since I was joining friends on a boat the next day; this worked perfectly.

It's on the main road, right across from the Lagoon harbour (NOT the ferry dock), but still relatively quiet (at least in the off-season). There was no bar noise, no noise from other rooms, and only some road noise (and I'm picky). A little timeworn and bare-bones (a small room, one channel of TV, and no remote), but generally well kept, with functional air-conditioning, and safe for a woman travelling alone. By Caribbean standards, clean and relatively inexpensive at $70 US/night; I would say this is a budget price for this area. I looked at another place for $40 that was below my standards for cleanliness and safety.

The restaurant downstairs is reasonably priced by Caribbean standards (breakfast about $7, dinner about $15) and offers breakfast starting at 7 a.m., with some good local dishes. There's a big supermarket within a few minutes' walk, good for sailors provisioning for a trip. You can also walk into the main part of St. George's in about 10-15 minutes.

This is not on the beach or very close to the beach. It's simply good for sailors who want convenience and those looking for a short-term lower-priced hotel. For a hotel after a sailing trip, I'd probably go to Grande Anse instead.

• Liked — Convenient to yacht club and supermarket
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank ninko999
USA
Reviewed 22 February 2006

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night. We arrived on Grenada at approx 9pm and our final destination was Carriacou, unfortunately the ferry to Carriacou doesn't run that late, so we made advanced reservations with The Tropicana Inn for 1 night and we were going to catch the first ferry out in the morning.

Upon arriving, there was nobody in the front desk. So, we inquired in the attached nearby restaurant/bar, and got the person in charge. Apparently she was either tired or was put off by the necessity to check us in. She said the only room left was a "triple" (we did make reservations for 2 at least a month in advanced), of course we were just happy to have any room at that time, and I've never heard of a "triple" before - so game on. She explained the required deposit on all rooms - $20 in U.S. Dollars in case we swipe the key and or make phone calls. So I paid the deposit and got a receipt so I could get it back in the morning before departing.

A "triple" means 3 single beds in Grenada, apparently. It must also mean dingy walls and sheets. But I've travelled quite a bit and this was okay, even though the walls were thin and didn't go all the way up to the ceiling, I was still okay.

After unpacking, showering, and grabbing a couple of rum punches we went to bed - in separate beds of course (our luggage was happy to have it's own bed as well). We awoke in the middle of the night to the sounds of a small waterfall and stream. Realizing that this sound was coming from our triple, we were a bit concerned - turns out we had a trap door right under us that was part of their sewer system. Oh well, we just pretended we were in the forest and went back to sleep.

The next morning at checkout we again played the "find the front desk person" game. We finally won and found her after approx 15 minutes. I turned in my keys and verified that I did not make any calls, and handed over my receipt for the $20 back. Apparently, this was confusing to the staff and they spent 30 minutes trying to get in touch with their staff member who checked us in. Meanwhile, it was getting close to our ferry time and I had to leave - without my money. The "manager" didn't seem to care and even though I had a receipt and even though they had the original carbon copy in their possession (and we all looked at it together) they could not return my money. I was a tad upset - how many other people have they done this to?? It was just too obvious that either 1. They didn't trust their own staff or 2. They had a bunch of practice at this.

Approx 1 week later I returned to Grenada from Carriacou and still had my receipt. I stopped back in at the hotel and played the final game of "find the front desk person", this time I found her in less than 5 minutes - my skills must have improved over the week somehow. After the same game of trying to look over my receipt (again), trying to call the original front desk girl (again), and telling me to wait (again), I finally got a bit more firm with them and they finally gave me my $20 back - they tried to give me $20 EC (their money), so we played the game just a little while longer before they finally gave me back all my money.

I don't know what the deal is with this hotel, but they seem not to really be concerned about us tourists - unless it's getting into your pocket. If you're looking for a hotel with a non-concerned/and or hiding staff, with dingy walls and sheets, with triples, with unexpected surprises under your bed, and you want to try your luck at getting your deposit back then you have found your dream hotel!!

There are many other hotels on this island and from the people I met down there, they get treated better at the other hotels and the accomodations are nicer.

I wish I had more hands, so I could give this hotel 4 thumbs down.

• Stayed February 2006
5.8 km away
Grenadian by Rex Resorts
Grenadian by Rex Resorts
#1 of 1 in Magazine Beach

Been to Tropicana Inn? Share your experiences!