Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
Houston, Texas
“Very Rocky Start.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

First we are very loyal to the Gran Bahia Chain. Having stayed at the Punta Cana and Ambar resort in the Dominica Republic, the Coba and Tulum resort in Mexico, and Runaway Bay in Jamaica. Having stayed this many times with a resort chain you pick up what the company holds as their most prestigious resort. Cay Levantado is jut this. The pictures portray the resort as gem. Of course when you are considering the view portion (sand, ocean, and plasm) none of the others compare. Unfortunately, I do not travel to a resort just for the sand. Here is a recap and of course as always our opinion of our 10 day stay the Gran Bahia's Cayo Levantado in Samana, Dominican Republic.

Check in: We arrived at the little check house, this is still on the mainland and you must take a ferry once done to get to the hotel.The ferry only runs on a schedule so you may have a wait. Once we arrived inside, the desk attendant did not greet us. He asked for our booking confirmation printout. My husband had ended up packing this in one of the suitcases and he insisted that we try to find it. I explained that we are Expedia Elite members and always have the print out but have always given our names other than the first two time we had visited. While my husband was tearing through our luggage, he was searching the computer. He finally found us and I had my husband come over. He then handed the normal envelope with one room key, a map of the resort and the schedule for the ferry. He explained that the hotel would give us the rest of the information and pointed us in the direction of the ferry dock. Here we waited maybe 15 minutes. Finally at the hotel, we proceeded inside where we thought we would be able to sit down for a second and learn about the resort. Instead, the concierge came over to where we were standing, asked for our envelope and scurried back to his desk. Here he made a phone call or two. After 5 minutes he came over and explained that our room was ready, the buffet was right behind to the right, to book your al a carte restaurants please see the desk behind you. There are two beaches public and private. each have activities The elevator, he told us to take to the 4th floor and then head up a flight of stairs. That was it! Nothing else! My husband and I were exhausted so we looked at each other and proceeded to our room. Check in was horrible. We were lost.

1st Room: We were very disappointed. In fact I did not take any pictures here. Room was pleasant but so incredibly small. Our view was the laundry and employee area and where all their radio or satellites are. The balcony had a small roof portion where bird defecation was all over. I was so upset to have paid all this money and built up to this room just to be disappointed. A bug spray can was left out next to the TV. The AC doesn't work unless all the doors are closed and the patio door does not have a handle from the outside. So if you'd like to be outside, your room AC will have to be off since you can not close all the way. I immediately called back down and expressed that I would glad pay what ever was required to be upgraded. The concierge stated he couldn't see room availability (???) but thought that the villas would be free Tuesday (we arrive on a Sunday). This was upsetting since I had contacted the resort about a month and a half before hand requesting to pay the additional amount to book a villa. They informed me to ask for a upgrade, if desired, at the time of check in. Each day we asked about an available villa. Never at anytime did we request this for free.

2nd Room: Finally, my husband asked to speak to a manager where we were finally referred to Ada (perhaps Atta). She was brilliant and the star of our stay. She listened to us and valued us as a customer. We never demand demand anything for free or want to be compensated. Let's just make right of what is wrong. She got us to a villa immediately and gave us a choice of a few rooms, allowing my husband to preview each first. we selected a room in the villa #5 area. This room was gorgeous. We have no complaints what so ever. This room was very similar to Ambar in Punta Cana except bigger with a wonderful view. Ada is a gem. Every time she saw us she asked how we were. The maid here was wonderful. She always had the room super clean, always. A small tip each day goes a very long way. I always ask that patrons tip if possible when the service is great. Wonderful.

Resort/Grounds/Food: The hotel is not as immaculently kept as Punta Cana but the natural aspect of it is beautiful. You will not be disappointed and perhaps if you have never been to their resorts, it will be second to none. They do not have trolly's like the other GBP's and there are a lot of hills. For someone in a wheelchair or who finds hills and/or steps difficult, this may be an issue. I did see the bell boys taking people around so perhaps this is an option. Beach did have sea weed build up form time to time but we did have some hard evening rains. These were cleaned on occasion and the beach was mostly kept. There are two sides to the beach. One very calm side where the majority of families were (there are not very many children on the resort by the way) and those who preferred to get in and out of the water frequently and then there was the rougher and windy side. This side had less commotion and where we preferred. There is a little beach br located here and when nt too busy the bartenders will take drink orders while you are on the beach. The beaches also have topless tanning so if this is something that offends you, you may consider the pool where it is not allowed. Pool was great and you may want to get up early to get a nice palapa. Both the beach and pool are reserved fairly early. Food was great and the best we have had stain with GBP and Riu. They had higher end dishes and drinks. We were not disappointed by the food. Al a carter took a while. Of our reservations, we only went to the Portofino restaurant and the Don Pablo restaurant. Both were great. Drinks were slightly inconsistent between bars and shifts. We had a manager/waiter (Aridennis S.) who was superb and extremely service oriented. We came to have him as our waiter each evening since he was absolutely excellent. Please look for him and he will take care of you genuinely.

Overall, the resort is beautiful. No questions about that. Would we stay here again. No. Instead we would recommend Punta Cana's Ambar or Coba in Mexico. Cayo Levantado seemed to lack organization and service skills. In our opinion the hotel had a ego notch. The employees know the resort is considered on the top and seemed to carry that around. When certain managers where in, the hotel ran well off. This is not a resort for a younger crowd who is interested in partying and what not. It just does not happen here. It would be recommended for a a older couple or a honeymoon couple. Very intimate and small. Again, as I stress, these are all a matter of opinion. He have visited their resorts over 10 times and they have better. A first time resort goer will definitely not share the same opinion as us.

Room Tip: Request a villa
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Aggs7584
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service GBPCLE at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Txgreen,

Receive a warm greeting from the staff members of Gran Bahía Príncipe Cayo Levantado.

First of all we would like to thank you for taking of your valuable time to give us your feedbacks, your opinion is very important for us.

We appreciate your compliments to our staff members, Aridennis S and Ada.

We are sorry to hear we did not full fill your expectation but we certainly took good notes of your observations to be discussed with the managers.

Thank you for your loyalty to our chain, hopefully you will give us once again the honor to welcome you in our hotel in a future to be able to change your perception.

Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,351)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I got married at the resort during a week stay from April 7 - 14. We traveled with a group of 33 and as someone who is pretty laid back and accustomed to travel in the Caribbean (No Pressure No Problem), I was worried that others in our party may be more demanding. I was pleasantly surprised that everyone had a fantastic time and truly enjoyed the week. The wedding was fantastic and the resort was very accommodating. The wedding planner, the pastor, photographer and the food staff were fantastic. We had our wedding dinner at Don Pablo's and it was amazing.

I think the best example of the quality of the resort is that at least 3 groups of our guests are looking to return next year!

I would recommend getting legally married at home and then completing the ceremonial wedding at the resort as the requirements of the translation would be a pain in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: The tower rooms overlooking the restaurant patio provide a great view, I have read some reviews sayi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jiubasco
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Jiubasco,

Receive a warm greeting from our Hotel Gran Bahía Príncipe Cayo Levantado.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you had enjoyed your wedding ceremony in our resort, we were more than honored because you had chosen us to celebrate this special occassion.

Thank you for taking of your valuable time to share your experience with other travelers. We hope we can have the chance to welcome you and your wedding guest again in our little paradise in a near future .

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Got engaged here was a totally amazing 2 week holiday I really want to go back soon. The views were stunning the staff so helpfull and they can't do enough for you. I would recommend it. If you want a relaxing break go here. If you like going out and doing stuff all the time this place may not be for you. We did a few day trips which were amazing but you can just go for a walk round the town as there isnt much there

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank ANON24Essex
Dear ANON24Essex,

Please receive a warm greeting from our Hotel Gran Bahía Príncipe Cayo Levantado.

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay with us with other Trip Advisor Members. We appreciate that you recommend us as a destination for a relaxing vacation.

We are very happy to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcome you again in a near future.

Paradise is waiting for you!

Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We travelled back to Cayo for a two week stay this Easter for a third time. We are two families each with 9 year old children. This time the resort was much, much quieter then our previous trips to the extent that a third of the buffet restaraunt was closed off all the time we were there. Weather was hot with rain during the night and some sharp downpours at lunchtime which were over with in less than half an hour. We all came back tanned :o)

Our first time we went for three weeks for my 40th (2010). The resort was so good that I forgave them forgetting my breakfast ordered for the room on my birthday. Anywhere else I would have created a fuss. However, unfortunately this time I can't say I feel the same.

Journey
We travelled with Thomson flying into Puerta Plata. The transfer to the hotel (including the boat trip & other hotel drop off) took close to 4 hours. Not an uncomfortable trip but very tiring after such a long flight. Previously we have flown into Samana which was far better.

Welcome
On our past two trips we have been welcomed by Ava who will tell you that nothing is too much trouble, that is until you ask. We have in the past asked for a room change due to the noise from the entertainment which was clearly a problem and this time around our friends experienced problems with the air con which was never resolved. If you ask to change room they will tell you they are full which was clearly not the case this trip. Any one familiar with Little Britain, "Computer says no."

Rooms
We have stayed in both the main hotel & villas over the years. All rooms (with the exception of garden rooms in the hotel which are at the back and overlook the staff quarters) are a lovely size, comfortable and with great bathrooms. We have always found the beds comfy. OK they are showing signs of traffic but I certainly wouldn't say the furniture is cheap and dirty. Our room was always and has aways been cleaned well. There are big windows into the bathroom from the bedroom area. This did not bother us as my daughter is only 9 and there is a separate door into the loo so you have privacy when you absolutely need it. It might be different if you were traveling with a teenager or if two siblings were sharing a room. If you stay in the main hotel most rooms overlook the terrace. If you want an early night this is not the place for you as the evening entertainment takes place out there and it can get noisy. That said, it does finish before 11 and then people are politely ushered to the beach bar or into the lobby bar. If you want quiet opt for a villa further away.

Restaraunts
We are not food snobs. We like nice food and we like variety and I have to say that on every trip the food has been good. At the buffet we have never had an issue finding something we all like. The issue has been trying not to eat too much. During the day we ate at the pool and again for us that worked really well.
The booking system for the a la carte restraunts is a farce and has not improved over the years. Available bookings are scarce but tables are empty. The Mediterranean & Portofino are only open on certain days but Don Pablo was open all week. The food at the al la cartes was good. The only comment I would make is that the service could be slowed down as you are rushed from one course straight into the next and then before you know it you are on your way out. For those with children that's far better that hanging about but I should imagine for those lucky enough to be looking for a nice romantic dinner it might not be what they expect. That said the staff are attentive and in our experience extremely polite.
Room service, yes the menu is limited and it will arrive tepid but it serves a purpose. Do order before you get hungry as it can take up to an hour to get to you.

Dress code
At best this is erratic. I like a dress code. I love getting dessed up as I don't do it that often at home. At the end of the day this is supposed to be a five star hotel. I saw men turned away from the restaraunts in very smart shorts whilst at breakfast there was a young lady eating in what was clearly her pyjamas, slippers and dressing gown. Funny but not what you expect. If you have a dress code stick to it.

Pools
We stick to the family pool by the beach and steer clear of the quiet pool as we have children. Lovely big pool & lots of sunloungers around the resort so no need to rush down. Last time we went there was an algae problem in the pool for a couple of days but this was resolved and all went back to normal. This time the guests and their clothing were turning green. I have very blonde hair and as a consequence I steered well clear of getting it wet. A member of our party literally turned green - hair, skin, the lot. After we stopped laughing we did worry but luckily it washed off until he went back in the next day. Everyones swimming costumes, rash tops, etc. for the fortnight were ruined by the end of the holiday and had to be thrown away as it did not wash out. Both of our daughters are blonde and even now there is a hint of "apple" in their hair. We weren't the only ones aware of this issue and clearly the resort must have been but there were no signs about and the problem was not resolved as people were still turning green as we left.

Entertainment
Daytime entertainment is low key bingo, aqua aerobics, pilates, volleyball, darts, pingpong. No water polo this time even when requested. Anyone expecting aqua aerobics and pilates as most people know it will be disappointed but those just wanting a little stretch and a bit of fun in the sea will find it enjoyable. Have to say we love Bingo Bongo.
Evening entertainment has always been poor at the resort so no change there. However previously they did, very occassionally, have guest entertainers in who were good but not this time.

Gym
Dire. One running machine, two very old cross trainers and some free weights. Small, hot and (unless you get there for 7:00 in the morning) usless.

Kids
I have to put this in as the resort does advertise a kids club and anyone travelling with children needs to be aware that this is not really the case. Especially if you have an only child and were wanting to use it as an opportunity for you child to mix and make friends. Over the past three years we have seen this decline into a farce. The first year is was very low key but organised and that suited us as a family as we take the opportunity to spend time with our daughter. Twice a day they (Natasha & Jennifer) would round the children up and take them for about an hour for activities such as painting, dancing lessons, spanish lessons, funtime in the pool, sports & games, kids bingo, mini disco and we even did a guided educational eco tour of the Island as a family which was really good. My daughter really enjoyed it. Last year we met Sandra who I have to say looked bored stiff most of the time she was there and there was no encouragement for the children to join in, so they didn't. They had about 2 mini discos in the fortnight we were there. This year unbelievebly it was worse. The club was being managed by what appeared to be the wife/partner of the enterainment manager. You would not know she was staff as unlike everyone else she did not wear a uniform. She had with her her own child which would not have been a problem if the child was well behaved and joined in with the rest of the group. During our stay there was one mini disco (not a disco really just a space in a fully lit room with a cd going) in which the member of staff who was supposed to be demonstrating actions to the song spent over half her time running after her daughter and left the other children stood lost & idle in the middle of the room as they didn't know what to do. So all week they had one very poor mini disco and painted an egg which was never to be seen again. Also the resort song which used to take place every night was axed and that was something the kids could have done. The children were very disappointed as were we. Thank god they had each other. There was however a full list of activities advertised for Holy Week that looked great but which never took place.

Truth be told we have seen a gradual decline in the resort since our first trip. The grounds are still pretty but there is a building site in the middle. The roads are deteriorating but were being repaired whilst we were there. Cleanliness in the general areas was not good in some cases. In the hotel lobby ladies toilet someone had clearly had an accident and for days there were noticable traces of poo on the toilet. Wheels are falling off sunloungers. Sunloungers are not cleaned and are covered in bird poo which you have to scrape off for fear of putting your hand in it whilst relaxing.

Service, the staff that are there work hard. This time they had to work even harder as I would estimate there was about a 30% decline in staff at the resort. As a guest this was very noticable. The resort was nowhere near as busy as we have known it but where previously drinks orders were regularly collected on the terrace and around the pool this was not the case. Personally I like to have a wander from the pool to the bar for water as a break but I'm paying for five star service which should be there as an option I can chose. However, of an evening I did not appreciate having to queue at a very busy bar.

Also, it's the little touches that make a difference. On our first and second visits as a welcome we had in our room a fruit bowl, handmade chocolates and a small bottle of rum. This time we had a small fruit bowl with fruit that could have been far fresher and nothing else. At turn down we used to have a chocolate each for us and my daughter, this time we had just two. Luckily for my family I didn't like them otherwise there could have been war!

So in summary, the resort is no longer a five star but it is four. The cost of the resort has increased signifcantly over the years but what you get has decreased. No longer the excellent value for money it once was. Anyone looking at the cost for 2013 will see yet another very considerable hike. We've not booked for 2013 and are trying our luck somewhere else. Real shame as we thought we'd found a gem.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank FamilyHaribo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed here 2-16th of may.After reading so many good reviews on this hotel I choose this hotel for our dream wedding.(big mistake).there was my husband,6yr old son and myself.The island,hotel,room and food was good,but the service was terrible.The waiters were rude and could'nt care less.Impossible to get drinks.Then when you did they got it wrong or totally forgot.The hotel was packed out had trouble getting sunbeds and we are early risers.There were alot of weddings here and in big groups 40+ people.As for our wedding day everything was late.Yes the setting is beautiful on the beach.But not worth the money it cost considering the translation costs on top of package.As for our wedding evening meal,setting on the beach looked lovely but we waited 2hrs and had only had 2 cold courses.This was 2 long to wait with a hungry 6yr old!As for it being a family hotel it's not,childrens menu is very poor,and as for kids activities forget it.A few positives though.The little touches like chocs and champagne and gifts were lovely but the timeing all wrong(11pm)The Thomson rep Jessica was nice and helpful also the girl on customer services was good.Although it took the manager 2 days to follow up our complaint.So all in all a lovely place but they have lost the plot .It looks like 5stars on the outside but is defiantly not.

• Stayed May 2012
102.3 km away
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
0.0 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#2 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!