New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel

Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel
Ranked #67 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York, NY
“Small Luxury Hotel of the World -- Needs Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I took this getaway together from April 28th - May 2nd, 2012. The intention was to reconnect and recharge before our 2nd child is born this July. We left our two year old son in NYC. While the hotel itself is charming. The room is gorgeous!!! As some other reviewers have said -- great bathroom. I loved the double shower and bathtub!!! The room was worth every penny. The staff outnumbered the guests during our stay (so we did feel a bit like VIP's). Despite some staff lacking English skills they did go out of their way to make you feel special. In particular a waitress named Luz and a waiter named Fabian were amazing and so charming!!! The hotel itself as a whole could use some improvement. This is NOT the hotel to go to if you seek any sort of activity service from the hotel. Once you enter the property you are basically "captive" unless you book some excursions. I was not allowed to do any of them due to my pregnancy and I was disappointed that the concierge did not offer other possible solutions. We found the food for the most part disappointing as well and quite expensive for what it was. We had our breakfast included in our plan, but paid as we went for lunch and dinner. No fault of the hotel, but I fell ill with Bronchitis on the 1st day. It was also surprising that the staff did not offer to get something for me from the nearest town pharmacy. All they did was give me tea. The small boutique gift shop is very "limited" on essential items and charge $10 for Listerine. My husband and I walked often to the hotel next door called the Zoetry (which seemed to be more full of life and had more essentials.) The Sivory's grounds are beautiful and the beach too. We walked everyday on the beach to the two closet hotels to check them out. Bottom line we got a good deal on the room, but my opinion is a hotel that is really in the middle of nowhere needs to offer essentials and activities to their guests. Maybe some Yoga classes or a BBQ around the pool at night. A hotel that is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World should have a little more to offer. I would return if there were these type of improvements.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank DannaNYC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

This has taken a long time to write. We spent 7 nights in November.
This review is based on what is important to US.
I believe the strength os this resort is the people who are there. They really tried to do whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable, especially Jose the manager and Giovanni, the chef. Waiters were pleasant and tried hard. My husband practiced his Spanish & they practiced their English.
The resort was maybe 1/3 full and most of the other guests seemed to be on some sort of plan. We enjoyed very much talking with the other guests.
We do the all-inclusive plan because we like to eat and drink wine. my guess is that it's a wash but I don't want to look at the menu and think about prices or try to figure out the bill at the end. The biggest complaint I have is that the inclusive wines and drinks weren't what I want.
The room was large and pleasant. We were not upgraded---wish I knew how.
The restaurants were quite good, not great, in my opinion, but we enjoyed our meals , and Giovanni was wonderful. We went to the cooking demonstration with one other couple and truly enjoyed it! Giovanni s suggested brining our turkey at Thanksgiving and my husband corresponded with him and tried it and liked it!
We went on one tour with Porfy , which we arranged with the hotel, and thought he was excellent! Private. Just the 2 of us which is what we do so we can see and hear
There was nothing to do which is EXACTLY what we wanted. We both have high stress lives so this was just great.
One day I walked down the road instead of the beach. My husband was reading in the lobby and Jose asked where I was. When my husband told him, he said I will go get her. I felt this was the service there.
I get attacked by insects and even with all the sprays there and that I brought thought they were a real nuisance .
I thought the gift in the room' a cd with island songs ,was different and very nice.

Stayed November 2011
4 Thank jennyseinert
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

This was my second time at the resort and while I enjoyed it as much as the first time, a few things that needed improving still haven't, eg the lack of English spoken by much of the staff. Management is wonderful and really aims to please but execution is a bit mixed which preventsme from rating this 5 stars. The resort was out of regular suntan lotion which is a basic requirement for this type of place (they did have high-end brand but that was $40 a bottle!). After 3 days, they went to a pharmacy especially fome butit took a fair amount of complaining on my part to get to that. Additionally, because they remembered me, Theresa thoughtfully asked if I wanted the same room service breakfast order but after I called to change the time, t never showed up. Having said that, Lourdes from reservations made a special call to see that I was enjoying my stay and that's an example of how high the service intentions are.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank uesny
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

This was the best way to make a business trip and relax at the same time in a such special, private and beautiful place.

Sivory is surrounded of landscaped gardens and very nice spots for rest. Food is simple great! and service is just Excellent! I will rather suggest any of the restaurants, but the Asiatic one was my favorite.

Don't forget to have breakfast with sea view and have a night walk on the beach to watch the sky!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I took the chance of staying here and know the hotel attending meeting but to plan my anniversary vacations also. OMG! I pictured every single detail I want and it has them all!!

The location, the views, the amenities, the privacy.....the rooms are specially designed and decorated over your expected demands and let's not go to the restaurants and the delights I tried..So bad I just stayed 3 nights didn't have time to try them all.

I would like to thank the F&B Manager for that Albariño Wine at TAU / the Asian Cuisine restaurant...unforgettable ....and being a chocolatelover that Chocolate Fondant w/ Ginger and Citrics Caramel or Jelly I almost fainted on the first bite!!

Guys I'm definitely coming back....Mr. Jose you promised to have my special room available, I count on you!!

Room Tip: Fronting the beach w/Jacuzzy, I won't miss it next time!!!