“Cayena Beach Club”

VIK Hotel Arena Blanca
Ranked #76 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York
Reviewed 10 January 2005

I've staid with my family over Christmas and new year in the Cayena Beach Club. This is the VIP part of LTI. Last year we have bought a package in Cayena Beach Club. I was reading some really negative things about timeshare and other things. I can tell all of you now, after using my package from Cayena Beach Club, I've made a really great holiday, with seaview room, jacuzzi and great food, for a great price. Don't believe all the negative people and your touroperator. Of course they don't like it when you buy a package at Cayena, then you don't book with them anymore. So your next holiday in LTI, check out the Cayena Beach Club and let them explain the program. It is great!!

• Stayed: December 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,442)

brooklyn ,ny
Reviewed 9 January 2005

Plus: beach (God Bless nature) , room (not bad- clean), territory(very good). Minus: staff on the desk , food (bring "immodium"), your partner in restaurant uncountable amount of flyes, if you forgot to bring sunblock spray or medicine you can buy in store at hotel in ten times more then regular price, fixture in room (tv set, toilet, phone)doesn't work properly.

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 8 January 2005

I wish I had read more accurate reviews prior to leaving for the LTI Beach Resort in Punta Cana. Now that I've been back for a week (returned on Jan 3/05), feeling completely ripped off and cheated from what was supposed to be an escape from home....I find myself reading reviews on this site that reflect a mirror image of my VACATION!

If you are lucky enough to check these reviews (including mine) before you go, please keep these points in mind:

-There is still construction going on- the workers start at 7:30am and finish around 8:00 pm. They had bulldozers outside of our room most of the time making alot of noise and stirring up alot of dust, we could not use the balcony most of the time.

HOW DO I KNOW THIS...

-I fell victim to whatever is going around this resort/ area. After my second day at the resort (after a steak dinner at the Estrella de Mar restaurant), I experienced severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, fever, and nausea/vomiting. We contacted the hotel doctor immediately (4 hours later he arrived with a bag full of Immodium equivalents). I was isolated to the hotel room for 3.5 days with little relief....except for the construction outside...

-The doctor is expensive (I was charged $370 US for plug up pills). Be smarter than me, do not accept the individual tablets (loperimida) to relieve symptoms, he charges you for them and he'll wait a few days (at your expense) before he prescribes more effective medication. He will tell you it's not a bug/parasite, it's from the "combination of foods" you've been eating...I'm waiting for my test results two weeks later and still feeling some of the symptoms listed above. Find outside medical expertise if you can.

-The beach and casino are the reasons to come here. If that's what you're looking for, it's here. I've seen several nicer beaches in the Carribbean, but this beach is in the top five.

-This resort caters to families, there is little evening entertainment for younger couples. There are lots of activities and babysitting for kids (from what I observed). We found this resort gets really quiet after 10 pm. The only evening activity worth doing was the casino.

-The food....I guess I'm biased. The buffet style mixed with the outdoor element of these restaurants leads me to believe a bug/parasite could thrive in this environment and thus explain why so many people are getting sick at this resort. My suggestion is to go the restaurants when mealtimes begin, the food will not be out for very long. At the end of our trip when I could safely eat again, I isolated all of my meals at the Bucannero Grill and did not have any condiments...but these are choices you will need to make for yourself.

I will not go back to this resort. I will probably not go back to the Dominican Republic because of my terrible experience, and that's a shame because it seems to be a very beautiful place with lots of things to do.

If I do go back, I'm going to do my research more thoroughly and stick with a five star (I hear Secrets Excellence is good..).

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brampton, Ontario
Reviewed 8 January 2005

We spent two weeks at LTI from Dec 24 to Jan7. Also some family (8 people) from the USA joined us for the first week. This is a long review -so go get a cup of coffee!
GENERAL AND ROOMS
If you have already booked with LTI and are now researching don't worry - you should have a great time. The resort is nicely landscaped (and compared to others on the "strip" that we visited on walks along the beach). The beach is very nice and close to the rooms so you dont have a massive walk back and forth. We (and 2 others from our party) had upgraded rooms in block 5 - great ocean views. Also our TV's worked - no one elses did -and they were not fixed. The air con in our room was marginal - but good enough for December. Generally the room was OK - the maid service is quite cursory really - certainly not as rigorous as a true 4 star resort. The maids do tend to leave the doors open so flies can get in- take a swatter with you -or spend 5 mins when you get in squashing them (no biggie really).
RESORT
The resort is quite small but very pretty. The pool is large but a lot of people thought it was too cool. It was certainly refreshing. The tub/whirlpool was not working. There are plenty of seats around the pool and several stands to get braids etc. The braid service along the beach (walk to the beach turn left and walk about 5 mins - lots of vendors there) is better and cheaper. Look out for the guy by the pool who does hand-painted tee shirts -he is amazingly good.
FOOD
There are only two places to eat around the pool area during the day - both are good. The pool side-grill does fries (get them hot and fresh -they are regularly replenished) burgers and various dogs/sausages. The other place does pizza at lunch-times. Also good. There are two "bookable" restaurants - you do this at the entrance to the buffet in the morning. Both are good (I thought). The Italian does pizza lasagne etc and the seafood place a variety of stuff (not all seafood). Other than that you have to eat at the buffet. Our group was mixed on this. Some people liked it (I did not). You can find something to eat sure - but I personally dont want rice and beans every day. Others in our group liked the grill at the buffet and the eggs and omlettes in the morning. Personally I found them undercooked. It is no big deal really the pool-side grill is open all the time. It is a bit too much bbq all the time - but some of the salty sausages were great,
ILLNESS
Well this seems to be the big talking point. None of us got really sick. But we all had some complaints. Second day two people had cramps and one was taking an immodium a day -"just to keep going". I felt nauseated on the third day but an immodium put that to rest. I got diahrrea toward the end too - pepto bismol is a must. My take on this -- there is problem at this resort with hygeine. I have never been sick (in any way) at the many many places I have been to (Jamaica, Mexico, Columbia, St Thomas, Antilles, Bahammas... and DR twice before). You can limit your chances of getting ill by not eating salads and cold cuts - watch the glasses (take your own mugs or use the plastic ones) - never use the tap water for anything (except showers obviously). Ease into the diet - be conservative -if others in your group get sick - stay conservative.
BARS
There are several bars. The pool-side bar is the most convenient to get to but is poor for cocktails. Beware of the woman's bloody marys - the worst I have ever had. Some were undrinkable. The calypso bar and the lobby bar are much better for mixes. Beer is fine - but tends to be better at the calypso.
ENTERTAINMENT
I only was one show - and it was great. Very professional. I missed the performance of CATS but it was also supposed to be very good. The kids show runs too late really - also if you have small kids then u may want to go elsewhere - because there are so many German-speakers on the resort the kids dont like to go to the kids club becuase there are no other kids who speak English.
WATER SPORTS
Katermeran rides up and down the coast are free and good too. Also para sailing and power boat rides - but they cost.
BUGS
The resort has a lot of flies. You get used to them (at least I did) but it is annoying. I do not recall any bugs at all on the other resort we stayed at in Punta Cana (Flamenco Bavaro) - we visited that place one affternoon -and indeed I saw no bugs at all.
STAFF
In comparison the other resorts the staff seem a bit bit distant and not too interested. SO big deal -I did not go on holiday for their company. The staff could be better -very slow to respond in general -but it did not make or break the holiday.
OVERALL
Not a bad place really. We did not want to spend a lot of money over Christmas (expensive enough anyway) so we went a bit cheaper. The resort is overall a bit better than 3 stars but not a 4. I doubt I would recommend it to a friend - but there really is nothing too wrong . It does feel a bit too much like you went to Germany after a week or so - dont get me wrong I didn't go to meet Candians and Americans - but the population is a bit too skewed.

All of our party had a good time. None of our group had much to complain about - and we didn't hear too much about sickness. But don't leave without that immodium and pepto bismol!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 January 2005

After reading up on LTI and seeing that it was a 4 Star resort, I was very excited for my trip there. If only I had known more about the resort before going there. I don't even know where to start. I guess I should start by warning people that the people working at the reception desk are not knowledgable about things going on within the resort or out. They are quite incompetent and are unable to complete common tasks without the assistance of a manager.

When we first arrived, granted it was 3am, the people at the reception desk did not have access to safe keys nor did they have the appropriate room accomadations for many of our fellow travelers. For instance, there were not enough beds or towels in rooms. As if it were not good enough that they were incompetent, the reception clerks were not curteous and condescending in their tone.

Well, enough about the reception desk. Lets get to the food. It was horrible. You may want to bring some canned food from home to avoid CONSTANT diarrhea. If not, then bring anit-diarrhea medication because otherwise you will have to pay at least 30 US Dollars for it in the gift shop. They had pretty much the same food for lunch and dinner every night...and I didn't know it was possible to make bad eggs/omelets. OH...and watch out if you plan on eating honey because you may find a poor fly stuck in it. And please keep in mind that they leave dirty placemats and table clothes on the tables through lunch and dinner times. I hope you like looking at other peoples dirty remains because they don't change them even when you request that they do so. And one more thing...bring some boxing gloves because you will have to fight the flies for your food. Chances are, they will usually beat you to your meal.

But the flies are not the only things you will be fighting off. There is CONSTANT soliciting to buy a time share at the Cayena Beach Resort on the property. They are strategically placed so that you have no choice but to walk by them. There is no way to avoid them.

The only good thing about the resort is the beach. The sand and water are beautiful and the pool is nice.

5  Thank Yelena330