13 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in great prices from these sites
WIOL.com
Travelocity
4,902 results
All reviews vip section vip pool la bambola palm trees sports bar caribbean street main pool dominican republic specialty restaurants ocean view vip room open concept main buffet entertainment area italian restaurant other resorts entertainment staff
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 April 2021

Stayed at riu bavaro for 4 nights with my boyfriend. From the moment we checked in I could tell things were a disaster. I payed for a ocean view jr. suite room which is technically VIP. Well upon check in I was given a regular room, I asked him why I was Given a normal room and he said that it was booked that way.. I explained that I booked with my travel agent and I payed for a jr. suite ocean view. He told me to wait a few minutes while he figured out the problem, I presented him my receipt and after talking with who ever it is that books the rooms he said it was fixed. He cut off the bracelet he had originally put and said that I was in the right section and I should Have the correct room he also said that he gave us a room with a jacuzzi. So I’m like cool he fixed his mistake. Well when I finally made it to my room it was not ocean view!!! It was a normal room with a jacuzzi in the VIP section. I WAS PISSED!!! Had to walk allllllll the way back to the lobby and explain to this man that I need him to give me the room I paid for!!!! Why was it so hard?? I mean I PAID for it? These are the basics! I paid For a service and I expect It to be provided when I arrive! Finally got my room the view was beautiful BUT the phone in the room did not work. At this point I did not want to make it a big deal it being that I’ve already went through enough frustration and I’m not going to allow a phone to add on to it! (Made a note to mention it to the front desk). After the 3rd day was when someone finally came to check the phone which still wasn’t fixed. So any question I had or any necessity I had you bet I had to go allll the way to the front desk and ask which is PATHETIC.
Besides the room the resort was okay. The staff was extremely polite and attentive (mostly the people in the buffet and bar tenders). On our first night we went to have dinner at the buffet. When I walked in my mouth dropped to the floor. Let me say this before I get Into this. I am a Food Service Director in the States for a college catering company. There are many changes that I am well aware of that HAVE to take place because of Covid. Well let’s just say the buffet is self serve. That means they don’t have anyone serving you. Everyone is touching the SAME spoons and tongs to serve themselves which is UNACCEPTABLE AND A HUGE LIABILITY. I brought this up to my sever her name was Elizabeth (she was amazing) and he response was that they used to have gloves for people to use but they took it out. Why would you risk your guests and your entire operation to save money on gloves??? Every single resort I have read on and heard from has someone serving. But this one dosnt! I spent the 4 days making my boyfriend serve my food then leave the buffet to wash his hands and come back and eat. I am high risk and have a compromised immune system and I could not take that risk. On top of half the guests do not wear there masks when they go up to eat or walk around the resort. And not one staff member enforces it either, very sad because I can see a huge Covid 19 out break happening here. And it’s all because of the negligence of management and staff members not following basic protocols to keep guests safe. Shame on you Riu Bavaro, I will be reporting this to the Dominican Republic Department of health. The food was good and the pools were nice, drinks were extremely watered down and again the staff from the buffet Elizabeth and Edwardo were excellent. My advice? Pick another resort if you would like to feel more safe in these times.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sussetteb2021
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2021

Dear Sussette,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.

We are disappointed to hear about the issue with the room assignment on arrival and the experience you felt you had during your stay with us.

You can be assured that we take COVID-19 very seriously and apologize if you felt our rules and safety precautions were not enforced during your stay. Please know that we are applying strict anti Covid-19 protocols that our health security experts have developed together with the prestigious company Preverisk Group which is a global leader in auditing, consulting and training solutions for the tourism industry in the areas of Health and Safety expertise.

It would be our wish that we would have been able to give you the wonderful memories we know our team can provide. We regret that is not the experience you felt you had. Certainly, we have shared your review with our management team for a proper follow up.

To end on positive note, we are glad to hear your compliment on our friendly staff, the good food, and that you enjoyed our pool area.

We hope you will afford us a future opportunity to regain your confidence.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 April 2021

I stayed here for 7 days and I was extremely concerned about this RIU resort not taking the safety precautions necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19. When I arrived at the resort, nobody checked my temperature, nor did anybody make me go through thermal screening prior to checking in at the Front Desk. That made me extremely concerned, especially when nobody was checking anybody's temperature at PUJ International Airport. I have witnessed many times where people in the lobby, restaurants, and sports bar areas where guests are NOT WEARING their face masks. When I was at RIU in Mexico, employees checked your temperature and made you use hand sanitizer before entering dinning areas. Nothing happened here at the restaurants. The information on the RIU iPhone App were inaccurate regarding restaurants and not every request is answered through the app. When I was at RIU in Mexico, all of my messages and requests made through the app were answered. RIU needs to invest in a mechanism like The Ocean Cleaner or a Surf Rake Beach Cleaner like they use in RIU Mexico to clean up the sargassum on the beach. Although I applaud staff hand raking the sargassum on the beach everyday, it just wasn't enough. Hand raking the sargassum is not sufficient to clean up the beaches. There are also a lot of sticks from the palm trees in the beach area as well that should be cleaned up. The food was great, however, the paella was undercooked every time I got it. The paella should be cooked a bit longer. The pizza needs MAJOR improvement. It is absolutely gross. Also, the hotel should do a better job in making sure mini fridges are refilled with water and drinks everyday. I had to go to the front desk everyday to ask for bottled water when bottled water was brought to me everyday at RIU in Mexico. The Water Park is awesome! However, I think RIU needs to find a solution to create more shade in the water park area because when walking in the water park area barefoot to walk back up to the water slide, the area can be extremely hot and also burning. I also thought the street outside the resort with all the vendors were a bit overbearing and that RIU should tell them to stop soliciting for business so aggressively. As a RIU Gold member, I was expecting a gift in my room, but there was no gift. When I stayed in Mexico, I was given an entire bottle of tequila, a souvenir and a desert when I arrived in my room. I got nothing here. Also the TVs were not clear at all. They are very blurry which makes no sense when they are SAMSUNG TVs..... I was also disappointed that they didn't have the BBC World News. It makes absolutely no sense why the gym closes so early or that the gym isn't opened 24/7. When I was at RIU Miami, the gym was open 24/7. When it was time to get tested for COVID-19 for my trip back home, it was absolutely chaotic. When I was tested at RIU in Mexico, it was an extremely fast and straightforward process. However, it was extremely unorganized here and while people were waiting to get their COVID test, no social distancing was practiced. It was absolute chaos. Also, it is very dissipating that being a resort located in the Dominican Republic, that there wasn't a speciality restaurant that features Dominican food. When I was in Mexico, there was a Mexican speciality restaurant. When I was in Aruba, there was an Aruban restaurant. I hope there will be a Dominican restaurant in the future. Lastly, people working at the Front Desk desk did not have their face masks completely covered their noses. Compared to my other experiences at other RIU locations, I thought the RIU Bavaro was not up to standards compared to other RIU locations. The resort is a bit run-down and there should definitely be a renovation done. The resort is showing its age.

Room tip: Suite rooms do not have elevators! Be cautious of that!
2  Thank BMusical74196
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2021

Dear BMusical74196,

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for sharing a detailed review following your recent stay.

We want all of our guests to enjoy a comfortable and unique experience with us at a great value, and we are sorry to see that some aspects of your stay were not what you had in mind.

We are truly concerned to read your words as what you describe are not at all reflecting our usual standards.

Taking into account the current situation, offering our guest a clean and healthy stay is our absolute main priority, therefore you can imagine our disappointment to read that you left our hotel with a different impression.

We have considerably reduced the seating capacity and have applied all the necessary measures in terms of hygiene and safety distances. We always expect our visitors to be respectful of established security standards, and we are therefore sad to know that it is not always the case. Please rest assured that we will follow up on your comment to reassure that our strict anti covid-19 protocols are being followed.

In regards to the beach, certain times of the year seaweed can accumulate depending on winds and tidal flows - which is something beyond human´s control and a completely natural occurrence. Our management allocates staff when occupancy allows in order to help with the cleaning as much as we can. We are sorry for the disturbance this caused.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our resort, provide a more satisfying experience and regain you trust in our brand and services.

Hotel Riu Palace Bávaro

Reviewed 14 April 2021 via mobile

We went to this hotel to spend some family time with members that came from the states for just few days, when we got to the check in that was already paid we waited like 2 hours, room infested with spiders, my kid got bitten and had to spend the night on the emergency room ruinning my day and part of the next day cause I had to empty my bags to make sure there were no spiders on our bags, it was a terrible experience, they only refunded the 1 night which is unfair due to the stress we went through and the cleaning i had to do, thanks god nothing happened to 3 months old baby girl that was sleeping on the bed where I saw the big spider, it was a waste of our weekend cause then we had to pack to leave the hotel next day and do Another check in that just wasted that day as well, terrible service I wouldn't come back again, I felt robbed of my time and money plus the place was dirty with blood and room was kinda not sanitized, the food really bad in the RIU Palace Bavaro, and I had to walk a long walk to get the doctor that the hotel provided.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank jennifercM9547VZ
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2021

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

Firstly, we sense your frustration, and would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the bad experience you faced during your stay, that you did not feel adequately attended by our staff.

Please be assured that the health and security of our guests is one of our highest priorities.

We have noted all of your comments, as we take them very seriously. This is certainly not the experience that we expect our guests to have. It is genuinely important to us that every guest leaves us with a great memory. Unfortunately, we have not been able to identify your case, and if you have not done so yet, we recommend that you send a formal complaint to complaints@riu.com so we can do a proper follow up.

Again, our apologies for an unsatisfactory stay with us. It is our hope we can have a chance to make your next stay more memorable for you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2021 via mobile

Being that I’m a USA citizen myself and my family party of Six all took Covid 19 PCR test to travel however Upon awaking Saturday morning we observed a much larger crowd of ppl pool side and in the restaurants not WEARing masks and it was revealed the local residents of Punta Cana are issued DAy passes. Without proof of being COVID19 free thusly exposing International guess to this KILLER Virus. Myself and family being one. Don’t STAY here Saturday and Sunday’s if you value your health. Had we known we wouldn’t have chosen this resort. Your health isn’t a factor at this resort ably MONEY!!!!!!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank decsnyc
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2021

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to share with us feedback on your visit to our hotel.

We apologize that your stay was not as enjoyable as it could have been.

At the same time, we are very surprised to read your comments in regards to mask wearing.

Please note that we are applying strict anti Covid-19 protocols that our health security experts have developed together with the prestigious company Preverisk Group which is a global leader in auditing, consulting and training solutions for the tourism industry in the areas of Health and Safety expertise. Furthermore, we have 24 hours presence of patrolling security to ensure compliance with established protocols.

However, it is a pity that the issue you are describing did not come to our attention up to now as you can contact us at any time during your stay. There is nothing more important these days for us that the security and health of our guests and employees.

Your feedback is essential to us and we truly take to heart any issue that may have a negative impact on a guest experience. Therefore, we have brought this to the attention the departments concerned for a proper follow up.

Please do allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back soon so that you can experience the authentic hospitality we so believe in providing.

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed 7 April 2021

At the resort now and felt like responding to some of the recent negative reviews. As someone who has a passport full of stamps from the DR, I feel Ive seen the best and worst of places on the island.

Room: no issues. I’m not one who requires my room cleaned daily, so only leave the green tag on door every couple days and always come back to a nice clean room. Is there a spot or two where paint is chipped or wood warped, sure....does it effect anything, no. Everything thing works as it should from room safe to hot water.

Beach: great view, plenty of chairs, and the staff spaces them out when left by other guests.

Vendors on beach: the beaches are public, so you may have someone asking if you want a coconut, excursion, or cigars, but a simple ‘no thanks’ does the trick.

Drinks: the bar staff is excellent and make any drink you want regardless if it’s on the menu (ex Sammy Sosa is a good non menu drink). Side tip - brink your own larger yeti style cup for less trips to bar.

Food: this is one of the pluses I think needs to be explained. There are several speciality restaurants for you to choose from at night, along with the buffet and snack bar. There are plenty of other resorts that limit your amount of times you can use special restaurants (4 times for 7 night stay), or require reservations but not here. Want steak house 7 times, you can do it...what’s on the menu. 12oz ribeye, 12oz strip, lobster, surf and turf options....you get idea.

Options: you have access to all RIU resorts on beach for everything from bars, pools, even buffets...only exception is the late night special restaurants.

Entertainment: night shows are a good way to end the day over coffee. Will they win awards for it, no...are they entertaining, yes.

Pool: clean, plenty of towels at all times of the day, and they constantly are asking if you need anything to drink.

Worth noting: sports themed bar is open 24/7 with food you’d expect at a sports bar (burgers, dogs, nachos and cheese, etc)

Gym: I have used the gym several times and no issue. I’ll miss something, but they have 3 treadmills, stair machine, an elliptical or two, couple weight machines, few decent bikes, mats and other free weights for cross training.

COVID: I had 0.0 concerns while here. The staff wear masks, have privacy screens at areas where you’d expect such as bar etc... long story short, if you’re overly concerned still with COVID then maybe skip a trip anywhere this year, but I felt more safe here than at my local grocery store....

Summary: great place, great time, I have stayed at other RIU’s in the DR and I will be back. For those posting negative reviews, many of them are just chronic complainers....you know the type, those who complain about everything to try and elevate themselves as better than they are.

Room tip: Beach views are amazing, choose 4th floor.
12  Thank mrobison161