“Great Time!”

Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Saint Peters, Missouri
“Great Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights and we had a great time!

First off the staff greeted you at the entrance with a glass of champagne. (You can take the whole bottle if you like) We reserved a standard ocean front excellence club room and for $20 tip we were quickly upgraded to swim up walk out ocean front room for no extra cost. Ask for a newly remodled room. The room was nice and clean. Had a mini bar and they stocked it daily (Beer, Juice, Water, Soda, snacks). They cleaned the room daily as well. Turn down service every nite. With a sheet left for activities at the hotel for the next day. The bed is my only complaint. It was really hard. But after a long nite out, it didnt matter. Keep in mind that a 5 star hotel in the Dominican is like a 3 star in the US.

The grounds were very nice and well kept up and cleaned. There are beautiful gardens around the complex as well. The beach is nice and was raked and cleaned every morning. Keep in mind the resort is on the Atlantic side so the surf can get a little rough for swimming and was red flagged most days. Sercurity also patrolled the beach day and night. Made us feel safe.

There are plenty of restuarants to choose from. All had a dress code for the evening which consisted of casual elegance attire. (Men no shorts, women capri pants or dresses) Our favorite restuarant was Spice (Thai food) and Agave ( Mexican food). The French restuarant was good as well. The nightlife was fun. The were different shows every night and disco tech was open until 2 AM. Our favorite show was the Michael Jackson tribute!

The staff was eager to please and very helpful. They would bend over backwards to please you. With that in mind. I know it is all inclusive. But you would be suprised how far a measley $1 tip will carry you. They do remember you! I believe in tipping for good service.

I always take reviews with a grain of salt. You can please some of the people some of the time. But you cant please all the people all of the time. This resort will do everything in their power to please you and make your stay a pleasant one.

My wife and will definetly come back here!

Room Tip: Forget paying for a excellence club room upgrade. Its not worth it. Ask for a newly remodled room a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,529)
  • Korean first
Itasca, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel Excellence for 1 week at the end of Jan 2012. The hotel is great and you can read everyone elses' review for that information.

My wife and I decided to hire the hotel photographer so we could have some great photos. Arturo, one of the 3 photographers charged us $150, we tipped $40 and it was well worth it! He took us all across the resort property taking photos all along the way, he even let us do several clothing changes. We ended up with somewhere around 400 photos, since he was using our memory card we simply left with a card full of great shots.

Below is a link to an iMovie video collage of some of the photos.

You will have a blast!

Regards,
Jet N Joy

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JetNJoy
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This is my first review that I've posted, so I will try to get it right! There was a total of 6 of us that went on this trip, and we all had a great time. We stayed for 10 days from Feb. 19/12 - Feb. 29/12

Rooms - We did not upgrade, we took the garden view suite. As others have said, you are not in your room a whole lot, but saying that, I would probably upgrade to an ocean view, just because my husband likes to see and hear the ocean, so I would look into the cost. If I was to take a swim up room, I would look into the building where the swim up room is on the upper part of the cascade pool - simply because it would appear that there is more privacy available. The beds are hard, but I did not find that to be an issue, but the pillows are small and not very firm, that is a complaint that I had. Also, we were on the 3rd floor, love the cathedral ceiling, but our air conditioning did not work so well. The last nite, my husband did get up and open the door just so we could get some air in the room. One of our friends had the room next door, and their air worked fine, as well as our friends that was on the 2nd floor. The other issue that I had is that there was not alot of consistancy in the room amenities. We had towel art in our room several times, but our friends downstairs did not, until my husband gave their maid a couple of dollars to do something one day. We did not tell our friend that, and so she was thrilled when she had it. They had body lotion, but we did not have a bottle until our 2nd to last day. I did not ask for it, as I did not realize that it was availble, but our friends had it. We did not have a screen door, but one of our friends did. Just little things, but still it is something they should get together. Also, on our 2nd to last day, we noticed that the mini-bar guy had kit kat bars - we asked about it, and he gave us a couple, then left some in our room. The maids did a great job in cleaning the room, I loved the bathroom. The sink is great, but it is so long, that it did not leave much counter space.
The only issue I had with security, is that I had misplaced my key, and when I went to the reception to get a new key, they asked my room number and I gave it to them, and they gave me a new key. As I walked away, I realized that I gave them the wrong room #. The room was friends of ours, so I just threw it away, but I was a bit dismayed that they gave me a key without checking my name. We did use the safe everyday, and there was not an issue with theft.
Beware of the vendors that they do let on the premises, they are quite aggressive in their methods, and how they are positioned, they are hard to avoid. You have to be very firm in saying no and just keep walking.

Beach - yes the water is rough, and I was worried about this before I went. The beach was mostly flagged red, but saying that, you could still have a great time in the water. I love to swim, but basically, you don't swim in the ocean, had the pool for that. We had a wonderful time in the water, you do not need to go out very far, and we played in the surf. We took the boogie boards out a couple of times, we almost lost out bottoms a few times. The lifeguards do a good job and checking the water, and if you went a bit far, they were whistling you in.

Food - The food is just okay for the most part, but then again, I do not go for the food. We had been in the Dominican before, so well aware that the food is different tasting. If I was to go again, I would bring along garlic, and perhaps some hot sauce, as I did find it to be bland. At the Grill for lunch they do have jalepeno poppers and onion rings, which were great! We enjoyed the french restaurant the best, the french onion soup is delicous. The buffet at breakfast and lunch were well stocked, and you could get your omelets and fried eggs to order. I did not like the bacon there as I found it to be quite salty. The food does not stay very hot, so I can see why some people find this to be an issue. Basically though, you can always find something you like, and if not, perhaps you should stay home.
We did not use the room service, cannot comment on that, other than I wish they would have more choices of lighter fare for late at nite binging.

Grounds - very well maintained and beautiful. The ecological park is a very nice walk, and lots of birds. Just so you know, the blue parrot is cranky, but the red parrot will go up on your shoulders.

Alcohol - I am not a big drinker, so not an issue with me. I do not like rum, so when I would request a drink that was rum based, I just asked for vodka instead. There is a drink of the day feature, but depends on where you order it, it would change, it never seemed to come the same way twice, which was annoying if you liked it a certain way.

Service - I thought the service was adequate, not great. I found at the restaurants you could wait a bit for someone to serve you, but once you put in your order, your food would come quick. Although we tipped quite a bit, it was nice to see that it was not expected. When the boys would come to bring you your drink on the beach, they did not wait for a tip, so you would have to call them
The Dominicans are very hard working and always pleasant. Remember that they work long hours and according to our standards for very little money. The minimum wage is $250/mth, but at least they get medical & dental when working at the hotels as mandated by the government. I had a pedicure done, and Lidia who did it, filed my finger nails and gave me a polish. I tipped her $20 - yes that is large tip, but I looked at it, that is 1/2 hour of work for me and my husband, and it does make me more grateful for where and how we live.

Spa - do yourself a favor and book something. Everyday there was a special on, so I wouldn't book ahead of time. I think we had 3 occassions, where some of the services were 35% off. It was always posted in the sheet you got the night before.

Entertainment - I really enjoyed the shows, yes, they could be hokey, but look at where you are. The dancing is phenomonal, the lip syncing needs to be worked on, but that is just being picky. The circus show was probably the best for me, then the burlesque - and no they don't strip!

I know this is probably long, but trying to get everything in I can think about. If our friends would complain about the food, my husband would say, look at where you are. We are eating outside at night in t-shirts, we are near the water, the sun is hot, and there is no snow. It made us appreciate where you are. I would go back to the resort with no hesitation, and would recommend it. There are some minor issues, but not enough to ruin it for us. Go with an open mind, and remember it is not North America, things are different, go for it, that is part of life and why one goes on holidays!

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are very nice, I don't think I would pay to upgrade to the Excellence club...
4 Thank rocker57
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

hotel and staff were excellent. My only complain was my wedding. flowers and music were late arriving and i have been home 10 weeks now and i haven't received my wedding certificate which was supposed to have taken up to 6 weeks. It was a lovelly holiday and the location is good if you only intend on staying on the premises. If you like adventure like my husband and myself then you will be very dissappointed as there is nothing outside the front of the hotel. You are miles from civilisation and there are no buses, only expensive taxis and excursion trips.

Room Tip: if you are after a good view buildings 1, 2, and 3 are the best for the sea view. they are upgrading...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elizabeth s
Quinte West, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We spent 10 days (Feb. 14th -24th ) this year at the Excellence Club Swim up suite and it was even better than last year. The resort has done some major changes to the rooms which has greatly improved them from last year. The rooms feel more open and airy with the renovations, well done and thank you.

We were in the building we asked for and spent all day sitting around the pool with frequent walks along the ocean for a change of pace. Husband learned to scuba dive, thank you Franklin.

Food was as good as last year and thanks to all the staff in all the restaurants for their warm welcomes and introductions every night at dinner and smiling faces every morning at breakfast. Rosanna and Gabi really made our days and nights. Thanks to them. The Barcelona restaurant changed their menu the second week we were there and the new menu was excellent and we made a point of talking to the chef and letting him know how the menu was. Good good good.......

We didn't do any excursions since we enjoy spending quiet days reading and people watching, did do the horseback riding along the beach which was short and fun.

If you are there and have any concerns just look for Roberto in P.R., he's everywhere and one night we even told him to go home.....LOL

Great resort, fantastic staff, good times, we'll be back

3 Thank steeeve