“Peaceful family resort, compares with best Family resorts on anmy island”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed in a 1 br Family Concierge room with a 4 year-old and a 10 month old.
Our Concierge (sophia) was OUTSTANDING! She had dinner reservations made for the entire week for us when we arrived. She arranged my fishing excursion, our babysitter (Paola, very sweet), ensured our room was constantly stocked with water or milk for the kids, and adjusted anything for us as we asked. When she asked about the timeshare and we declined firmly, she respected that and maintained the same excellent level of service. She had special treats for the kids throughout the week too.
Food was pretty good. The buffets (there is one in the Reserve and 2 in the main resort) were above average for all-inclusive. The Reserve buffet (Gabi) is always very quiet as only Reserve guests can use it, which made breakfast a very nice relaxing start to the day. If you need real kiddie food, the smaller outdoor buffet at the main resort had burgers, hot dogs, fries etc... Once while eating at Gabi Beach Restaurant at main resort, they didnt have anything my 4 year old brat wanted and the waiter went and got the buffet to make some chicken fingers and fries and brought back to the restaurant for us. The Sushi place was quite good by resort standards.
The food generally favors Euro a bit, which makes sense since its a Spanish hotel chain and plenty of Euro guests, but still easy for NA guests.
Juan at the Reserve pool was friendly and good, and then post tip, was EXCELLENT.
Beach was a bit windy, water a bit choppy, but i'll say this, Reserve guests have a spot at the beach set aside with their name on it until noon each day which made it a nice option. Read some complain of the distance to the beach. It is a 5-10 min walk, but a beautiful walk that I enjoyed every time. They also shuttle you there in about 5 seconds, so seriously, whats the problem? It takes about 5 seconds online to realize this is a secluded section of the resort. If you want to stay next to beach stay at the main resort and you wont get all the nicities of the Reserve.
Pools at the Reserve were great for Kids and super quiet. bc only Reserve guest can use the pools in the reserve there are more than enough chairs and covered beds (great to get kids out of sun). Juan had our spot set aside everyday with towels and kids towels just the way we liked it. He did this for other guests too. Kids slides in the large kids pool. the main pool with swim up bar was always empty, though it was the coldest pool. The smaller river shped pools were a nice option too.
Room was awesome. We had staryed in an Italian Village family suite in Beaches Turks&Caicos and the Reserve Master Family 1br here was even nicer. Nice kitchenette dining area for when we ordered in, best shower i've had in a resort and main bed was quite good (pull out not so much). Tub on balcony was great for kids baths at end of day.
Kids club was quiet but impecable and clean.
Kids were treated like royalty, Sophia was a huge difference maker, and we loved the tranquility. If you want lots of activities and a hopping resort, you should probably think twice about a place called "The Reserve". If you want some privacy, rest, peacefulness and a nice Family option, this is the best we've stayed at, beating Beaches and Atlantis.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank knowlzy
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Dear Knowlzy,

At the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. I feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Sofia and Juan. It is thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Knowlzy, we await you and your family for a next peaceful family vacation.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (7,506)

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We planned a family vacation at the “Reserve” at Paradisus in Punta Cana. We are a family of four. We had our two daughters with us who are 13 and 16 in age. This is a warning to anyone who is reading this. I read the reviews before our vacation and didn’t think it could be as bad as they made it out to be. Well, I should have listened. Let me start with the positive about this vacation…the place is pretty. Ok, now the negative. Where should I begin. Once you arrive you are assigned a concierge only to find out that her only mission is to sell you the “VIP Club” Once you say you are not interested your concierge disappears. You can’t make dinner reservations for your entire stay you can only do three days in advance. Of course, since you didn’t purchase the “VIP club” you don’t the prime times at the restaurants. The quality of the food is unacceptable to anyone not living in third world country. The meat they are serving is not Prime and it is mostly fat. The service is so bad that at one of the a’la carte restaurants we were eating dinner, at the table next to us got up and went to the buffet and brought dinner back to their table instead of waiting for the food that they ordered. If you are lucky enough to find someone who speaks English as soon as there is a problem, they don’t understand English anymore. The rooms are so dark that I suggest you bring a miner’s hat with you so you can see in the bathroom. The showers are so dark you can’t see what you are doing. Don’t get me started on the bathroom sinks. You need to wear a wetsuit to just wash your face or brush your teeth. The water sprays everywhere. The maids are aware of the situation since she told my husband not to turn the water on all the way!!!!

We had a horrific experience with our 16-year-old daughter. We had ordered her room service since we were going out to dinner off remises since the food at the resort is inedible. Once we left, the room service delivery boy saw us leaving and had the audacity to call up to our room and tell our daughter that he was coming up to pick up the room service tray. One she opened the door he was there with ONE pica colada in his hands and offered it to our daughter. He then made inappropriate conversation with her and made her very uncomfortable. Once we heard about this, we told the hotel management and they could care less. All they said was “sorry” Needless to say; from that point forward our children were not out of our sight or alone for the remainder of our trip.

Since we travel frequently with our children, we let them charge to the room if they aren’t with us. Well, not at this hotel. I would have to go with my kids every time they wanted candy from the sundry store. If you didn’t put money on a credit card when you checked in, you didn’t have the luxury of charging, no to mention if it was within business hours.

We finally had to get the hotel manager to intervene and make us dinner reservations and get beach chairs, don’t get me started on the beach. The music is so loud and not relaxing with all of the booze cruise boats circling the area. If you enjoy drinking out of paper cups, this is the spot for you. If you stayed by a pool near your room, you could wait all day for a waiter to come by and ask if you wanted something to drink. These are things that every traveler is used to while staying at a high end resort. The best part of this vacation aside from leaving was the Michael Jackson show they had one night. That didn’t even start on time. The casino is a joke. What kind of a casino only has penny and nickel slot machines and four card tables?

On our last day, we had arranged for the bellhop to come at 2 pm to pick up our luggage. At 2:30 I had the car service calling me telling me that he was waiting. I said I am still waiting for them to come and get my luggage. They were blaming us for not being downstairs when they never came to get out luggage. They finally arrive after I yelled once more and my husband had to help carry all the luggage. They were only concerned with cutting off our bracelets.

One last thought, if they had offered me a free vacation for the rest of my life, I would say NO. DON'T GO HERE!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
25  Thank Jacke L

Dear Jacke,

First and foremost, please accept our gratitude for you having taken the time to air your comments and concerns. Your observations are very important to us as they allow us to identify our improvement areas. Receive my sincerest apologies if you were not able to meet your expectations. I assure you that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

I am so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy our several dining options; it is very difficult to please all of our guests in this aspect especially since everyone’s perception on food is very personal.

I regret any difficulties you may have experienced when communicating with our staff. We have a great task ahead of us concerning this issue. As a matter of fact, we provide intensive educational courses, including English classes, since we understand their importance in our continuous effort to improve the quality of customer service. Nonetheless, I can assure you that all the departments that are directly in contact with our guests have an English-speaking staff.

Mrs. Jacke, once again, thank you for your constructive observations. As I mentioned before, we understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

As a Club Melia member - yes we succumbed to the marketing push - our experiences for the last two years have been excellent. Our concierge (Heidy) was extremely helpful and responded to our every request (including the dinner reservations etc). We found room service to be prompt and very polite.

We had one problem with hot water in the showers, and they responded very quickly and found the problem

We have travelled throughout the Caribbean, and find the Reserve to be an excellent choice. We look for a quiet week, and found the location to be perfect (they could lower the music around the main reserve pool a little) with a very quiet room, and the evenings were great.
The staff at all of the restaurants, as well as the reception staff, were very pleasant, eager to please and served us well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick B

Dear Rick,

I would like to thank you for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your vacation for the second time. I am happy to know that in The Reserve, you have found the perfect place for a relaxing and quiet vacation.

I feel proud to know that Heidy participated in making your stay more enjoyable by providing you with excellent service, and your mention of her in this review is really appreciated.

Rick, we await you soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real for a next unforgettable vacation.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

My wife and I went to The Reserve with my sister and brother- in-law in late November until early December 2011. This resort was the perfect place to relax. It's beautiful, very clean and the staff was awesome. Three staff members really took care of us the whole time. I would like to thank our server Jose who at the end of our trip gave us a beautifully decorated bottled gift he made himself of a local drink named MamaWana! Also Ray who manages the pool bar and lunch grill was so accommodating and even had the chef prepare us a special meal that was so delicious and hit the spot after a long day of swimming and being in the sun. Lastly the concierge Luis was the man with the plan! I'm in the service industry and I'll tell you this guy is an asset to have on anyones staff. He made sure our trip was catered to everything we wanted it to be, thank you Luis! My only complaint on this whole trip was the rude Europeans that were from France, Germany and especially the ones from Spain. They were being so rude to the staff I was getting very angry and my wife had to stop me from opening my mouth. I saw a few servers being grabbed by the arm while holding dirty dishes to basically be lectured that their coffee cups were empty. On another occasion one guy was yelling at the breakfast chef because the chef asked how would you like your omelette and the guys response was "you stupid idiot I want it the way you made it yesterday!" these are just a couple of many incidents that I witnessed. Also nobody other than us were leaving any tips for the staff . The reason why these Hotels are affordable is because the staff at these hotels only get paid about $150.00 US a month! Leaving one dollar for these guys goes a long way for them. Anyways, other than the jerk vactioners the hotel and staff was awesome!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Arcadian2910

Dear Arcadian,

I am very pleased to know that you, your sister and brother in law had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honour for me to hear your comments about our facilities and the exceptional service you have received from all our staff. I will personally pass on your comments to each one of them, especially to Jose, Luis, and Ray.

We await you soon at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We arrived at the beautiful resort and were looking forward to a lovely visit, but unfortunately Dahmy (our assigned concierge) left us with an unnecessarily bad impression. She tricked us into a 30 minute marketing push & then basically forced us to begin a 90 minute sales meeting. We left after 2 minutes with the next woman (we were there for the beach, certainly not for meetings we were tricked into) & Dahmy treated us terribly for the rest of our stay. She went from overly friendly to nasty and rude, while providing terrible service - including dinner reservations an hour and a half after we asked for every night (as Reserve guests paying extra, we expected a helpful concierge).

It was a beautiful place and we would have absolutely come back or visited another location, but she unfortunately changed that. Reservations, etc became unnecessarily frustrating. It's too bad...

• Stayed: February 2012
9  Thank FrequentTraveler2468

Dear guest,

First and foremost, please accept our gratitude for you having taken the time to air your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate the observations concerning the service you have received from Dalmy. Please let this not be a motive to not stay with us in the future. Even though I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality of our services, I also have to say that in general our guests perceive the Dominicans to have a friendly, cheerful and sympathetic nature.

I do hope to have the opportunity to serve you at the future in The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.