“Honeymoon stay 17th September - 1st October 2018 (During Hurricane Maria)”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Me and my wife stayed at dreams palm beach for our honeymoon this year. We normally stay at dreams Tulum in Mexico which is absolutely amazing so this is why we chose the dreams franchise for this special trip.

We stayed in the preferred club, so at check in you get a special check in and go to the preferred club building where you are greeted with drinks of your choice and checked in and given all the information you need about the hotel etc which was great.

As I said we had a preferred room with a Jacuzzi bath which was amazing. The room was lovely.

All the food in all the restaurants were always lovely and to a high standard apart from once when we went to the French restaurant and we waited over an hour for our main, it was very busy so I’m not sure what the issue was but other than that the food was great. The Mexican and sea side grill were our favourite.

The workers around the hotel always work very hard to keep the hotel, pool and beach clean and do a great job of it as the grounds always look spotless.

The sea side grill for breakfast and lunch (preferred guests only) was always nice and you were always greeted by friendly and attentive staff at all times.

The coco café is amazing, so much choice and all the workers in there are always so cheerful, polite and friendly. Me and my wife loved going here multiple times a day to get our coffee and cake fix.

I used the gym a few times but unfortunately didn’t get the two lads names who worked in there but they were always friendly, helpful and cheerful.

Now for the few minor hic cups we had during our honeymoon stay.

Wednesday 20th September hurricane Maria was due to hit DR during the evening. All hotel guests were informed to take pillows, blankets and stuff for the night to the convention centre were we would be staying due to the hurricane fret. We were told doors would open at 3pm and close at 5pm. At midday we saw people going down with their pillows etc so myself and my wife paniced and rushed down early. We were some of the few early birds so we got a nice double bed in the main theatre room which we thought was great. We left our stuff, went for lunch and then came back to get settled. Around the hotel all the workers were working tirelessly hard to board up and clear the hotel ready so there would be as little damage as possible.

Around 5pm there was a huge que at the door for people trying to get a bed and I think they had run out of beds as there were a lot of people with 2 people to a single bed and beds all in the corridor and multiple rooms. The first few hours were absolutely fine. We had a comfy bed, movies on the screens and wifi. However after a number of hours we lost all power except emergency lights. The big theatre room we were in was completely black. Also the air conditioning was obviously not working due to this, so after a few hours it became unbearable, the heat was ridiculous and it was about 94 percent humidity so we could not stop sweating. Because of this we got next to no sleep and was unconfutable the whole time we were in there. Also when I asked one of the managers (a white guy called Carlos) he was quite rude and patronising. I know he was getting a lot of grief from a lot of people in there due to the unbearable circumstances but I only politely asked him what was going on with the a/c as it was soo hot and he replied sharply ‘ Don’t you think we are all hot’ . It was just rude in my opinion and unprofessional. We had sandwiches, water, juice and coffee etc but due to the heat you could imagine how the sandwiches were after an hour or so. Also I know it was an awkward subject but we never saw any of the senior members the whole night go into the big theatre room to check on anyone, we are 24, fit and healthy and we was struggling so we could imagine some overweight, older people or people with other problems it could have been quite difficult. It was completely black and 250 plus people in that one room, anyone could have passed out and they would have been none the wiser. We think they should have gone round and checked on people, just simply ask how they were and how they were coping or even give us some info. We were told nothing from like 8pm-8am, we were left confused at what was going on or the current situation.

After the hurricane there was some minor damage to the hotel, mainly debris, water damage, old trees etc and some windows smashed, the workers worked extremely hard to get it back up to scratch and are a true credit to the hotel. Our room had water coming through the ceiling when we had returned and the hotel moved us to a new room straight away so thank you so much to Sarah from the preferred club for that.

Another negative thing we witnessed was a problem I had in the Asian restaurant. There is a dress code, so one night I wore my jeans and shirt, we wanted to sit by the grill in the hitsmu restaurant and see the show however the lady in the restaurant who seats you replied sharply ‘ you will have to wait 20-30 mins’ I was hungry so I said to my wife we will just sit down and order from the menu. We ordered drinks and our starter. Five minutes later a couple who were behind us is seated around the table and shortly the show begin. I was a bit annoyed but thought we are here for two weeks we can come again. As we were having our meal I looked around and saw 2 or 3 men with shorts and flip flops on so I though, they must be fairly laid back in here then. So a few days later we went to the Asian place again and I have my ¾ length jeans on. The same lady as last time once again abruptly says ‘ one hour wait and you can’t wear those you will have to change’ as I look round and point out to her 4 people she had let in the restaurant eating there meal with shorts on. As I point them out she is going round tapping them on the shoulder telling them they can’t wear shorts in here lol. Anyway I go back get changed. We are then seated. I look around 5 minutes later and a gentlemen is allowed in and he has a shirt on with tight shorts just over his knees. I just felt very discriminated against. I am always polite, speak a good level of Spanish and always tip. I have no idea what the lady had against me.

Felix who is the restaurant manager and deals with all the waiters etc was very accommodating and reasonable and helped make our stay great so big thanks to him, and a huge thank you too all the preferred guest workers they were all amazing all the time and a true credit to dreams palm beach especially Arluis and the young lady who checked us in sorry I didn’t catch her name.

A big thank you too Ricardo in sea side grill and Santos in preferred, and the restaurant for making our stay special. Both super hard workers and always welcoming and make you feel at home.

Thank you to all the workers in coco café in particular lily and Midelcania for always having a smiley face and there beautiful singing. Nothing is ever too much

Thank you to Ivan in the seaside grill also. He was always pleasant and made you feel right at home every day.

Thank you to Santa in world café in the morning she was always working so hard and nothing is ever too much for your request.

Thank you to Jose and Johan by the pool bar always smiley and willing to make you a cocktail or drink.

Thanks to Gavi in entertainment for always being nice and cheerful

Also there is a little lady who works in the seaside grill and Mexican restaurant in the evenings who greets and seats you, she has braces, I didn’t catch her name unfortunately and the last few days she must have been off, it was rosairy or something like that I do apologise if I’m wrong, but she was very sweet, always polite and smiley and make you feel so welcome and always remembered me and my wifes name.

On a whole we had an enjoyable stay at dreams palm beach punta cana. With some minor hiccups, if these can be improved it will be a great hotel. The workers we mentioned and the other workers that people don’t mention are a true credit to dreams and without them the hotel would be nothing.

Room Tip: preferred club is worth the upgrade if you can afford it
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BillyDsouza
Luz S, e-concierge at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Dear BillyDsouza,

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana!

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing our resort. It is a pleasure to learn that our staff service, accommodations, food and Preferred benefits fulfilled your expectations during your stay with us.

Besides this, we are sad to learn that you felt the way your describe in your review, because as a service oriented company we avoid this kind of behavior with our guests and it is not a complaint we are used to receive. Therefore, I will share your review with the management to be taken in consideration but i will like to highlight that during such emergency situations our main priority is to keep you save above all.

We will be more than glad to welcome you again in this piece of paradise that you can call your Caribbean home, hopefully you will give us another chance.

Warm regards,

Dreams Palm Beach
econcierge.drepb@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed 16 October 2017

We stayed here for 9 nights in October 2017 and can higher recommend this hotel. Above all, we thought the staff were magnificent - always jolly, enthusiastic and helpful with a smile on their face whatever they were doing :)

This is not a ultra-deluxe "burj al arab" style hotel and therefore I some of the complaints below are unfairly harsh. Instead, it offers an affordable high quality experience. A few further points below

1. Food is excellent and big variety. Kept us more than happy for 9 days. 6 restaurants but they do vary in quality. Steaks were brill! A cafe is open between meal times. You will not go hungry here!
2. Who cares about a few strands of seaweed on the beach? It may affect the "perfect photo" but it doesn't hurt and is not the hotels fault. The hotel worked from dusk until dawn to remove as much of it as possible.
3. The rooms are fine but DO REQUIRE upgrading/modernising. Bathroom was good but similarly, requires some updating. Air con was brilliant - best ive ever experienced
4. Thank you to Eugene and his team (scuba diving team) - they taught and assisted my partner on a wonderful discovery/introductory dive (excellent tuition in pool and then excellent and safe 30+ minute dive, price very reasonable - I went snorkling at the time). I would highly recommend. Thank you also to Blas/Yulainy (BA Amsjar reps) who were professional, friendly and very helpful with all aspects of being/travelling in the DR
5. We went outside the hotel to the local shops. It was a nice trip however some of the selling was quite aggressive (worse then india, israel, morocco, dubai etc). Be very careful about not being ripped off. On the left hand side of the road as you walk away from hotel there are shops with "fixed price" and their prices are very reasonable!
6. We had a "tropical deluxe" room although were not sure what this offered over a normal room?? It seemed the same.

If I could recommend to hotel management the following:

1. while this is not a "party hotel." This does not mean that there is a fair bit of late night partying and drinking. Unfortunately, a number of guests think it is appropriate to shout and dance down the corridors at 4am. The doors are certainly not sound proof. We would like to see signs put up asking people to keep quiet and for guests to sign forms on arrival requesting no noise in the block interiors.
2. On the friday Dominican night the hotel allows external "sellers" to set up stalls inside the hotel. We found them to be aggressive persistent sellers (ie putting necklaces and rings on us and saying how much before we had even had a chance to look). They also tried to rip us off and then claim extra money for hotel "tax" purposes. I can't speak for US/other countries, but British tourists do not appreciate this and it is unfair on guests who are walking to dinner at 7pm. They should offer fixed (or fair) pricing or not be allowed on the hotel. We found they were more expensive than the onsite shops.

Overall, we would highly recommend. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yatrasor

Dear Yatrasor,

Greetings from the best team in Punta Cana, Dreams Palm Beach!

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing our resort. We are DELIGHTED to learn that you enjoyed your time with us to the fullest and most of all that we were able to meet your expectations, because YOU are our reason to be.

On the other hand, as a service oriented company we understand that there will always be room for improvement depending on guests points of view, so we will be sharing your review with the responsible managers for follow up and to continue providing the excellent service that we are known for.

We look forward to welcome you again in the near future. Please feel free to adress me prior arrival for some extra pampering.

Warm regards,
econcierge.drepb@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed 15 October 2017

I had my wedding at this resort by default due to hurricane and closing of sister resort. I had a guest list of 55 ppl. And over all we was please . The staff was very courteous, respectful, accommodating. However, I was the bride , I fell on a wet lobby floor suffered some I juries but still managed to continue and enjoy my wedding /honeymoon. During the time of check out, I had a 100.00 spa bill , I asked 1 of the managers can this bill be taking care of as a courtesy. Well in exchange for the credit I was given a disclaimer form releasing the resort of any responsibilities due to my fall . M's. Ingrid proceeded to tell me that they needed to justify the credit. I told her that she was insulting my intelligence with that response . I ended up paying for my 102.00 spa bill because they said they could not do anythi g about it unless I signed the release statement. Talk about a slap on the face .

Stayed: October 2017
4  Thank yvonne n
Luz S, e-concierge at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear yvonne n,

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana!

We consider every opinion of our guests valuable and this will always be an improvement tool to continue providing an even more excellent service every day, so thank you for taking the time to share yours.

First of all, please know that we are VERY HAPPY to learn that you and your guests were satisfy with the staff service, what we are sad to know is that there was a misunderstanding with the document to be signed. This is truly for our financial department to have a statement that can prove that the payment was going on behalf of the resort due to the inconvenience, legal procedures that are part of every company´s policy.

We are sorry that this didn´t allow you to have a 5 stars experience and understand if you decide not to visit us again.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

The resort was NOT as advertised. I stayed in room 9111 and the bed mattress , sheets and pillows were completely worned out, but above all the bed felt EXTREMELY dirty. The are are NO SNACKS ( burgers, hot dogs, etc ) BETWEEN breakfast, lunch and dinner times. The resort ONLY offers bad Dominican coffee and pastry as snacks. The WiFi was UNREACHABLE to my room 9111 and nobody showed up to fix it after a call was placed to the hotel concierge. the FOOD was TERRIBLE and every day was the SAME disgusting menu. There were NO tropical smoothies or abundant tropical fruits offered at their World Buffet . The overal experience was NOT PLEASANT! This resort is OLD, WORNED OUT, DIRTY, and only offers BAD/CHEAP FOOD. I will not recommend this terrrible all inclusive resort to any tourist that is used to five star accommodations.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank COSMOS8

Dear COSMOS8,

Greetings from Punta Cana!

Thank you for visiting our property and for taking the time to share your review. It is very sad for us to read that this was your experience, most of all because we receive thousands of guests and this is not the kind of experiences we are used to create. I will like to clarify that we have a well trained housekeeping team who follows strict quality standards to provide excellent results, we do have a beach grill with snacks from 12:00 p.m. until 6 p.m. as stated in our website and explained at check in, we serve fresh fruits everyday at the World Café buffet and at our a la cartes if requested. We truly respect your opinion and will be doing some evaluation with the team as every guest opinion is very valuable to us.

Once again, we are sorry to hear this. Hope you change your mind and visit us again as a second opportunity for us to make you join the great number of repeaters that visit us constantly.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

This resort is in three star range. The service is wonderful throughout which makes it better, but it needs help. The beach chairs are sad, and the rooms are really worn and not the cleanest. Lots of slamming doors! And you can hear entire conversations through the vent!

Room Tip: We had garden view which has little noise from the outside but doors slam all of the time in the hal...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank berthabutt_10

Dear berthabutt_10,

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana!

Thank you for your review and staying with us. We are VERY PROUD to learn that our team provided you an excellent service that met your expectations. Apart from that, it saddens us to learn how dissapointed you were with the other mentioned aspects, meaning that we were not able to make you join the great number of customers that we make happy on the daily basis. Please be aware that we have more than 36 managers around the resort that are always open to listen to your thoughts in order to make your stay better.

We respect that we might not have the honor to welcome you again, but if you change your mind please feel free to reach me at econcierge.drepb@dreamsresorts.com for some extra pampering.