Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 334
Excellence Resorts
  • Free Breakfast
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 495
USD 289
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 324/night.

USD 302
USD 229
  • Free Breakfast
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 412
USD 336
USD 658
USD 406
Priceline
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 516
USD 443
Priceline
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 429
USD 335
Priceline
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 459
USD 259
  • Free Breakfast
The Westin Puntacana Resort & Club(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
USD 279
USD 245
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
USD 960
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 29/07
2,931 results
All reviewspreferred poolpreferred clubbluewater grilllil waynejulia robertsbreathless resortentertainment teamthe blue water grillpreferred areaprivate pooladult only poolfrench restaurantpreferred roomfamily vacationsister resortpreferred statusscooby doo
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

If you've booked this hotel for the first time and have experienced caribbean 4 and 5 star hotels then you are in for a pleasant surprise. It's more Cancun 5 star than Jamaica or Barbados and caters for the standards expected for North Americans. To summarise, it is everything you would expect of a 5 star resort.

A lot of hotels in the caribbean have staff of varying quality, from super polite and efficient, to those who couldn't really give a damn. Now Onyx has lots of staff, perhaps more than needed, in every area from cleaners, gardeners, bar staff, porters, maids....I never once saw anyone standing around doing nothing, all were busy.

The resort has four theme restaurants and a buffet. The restaurants are only open in the evening but there is no 'only one visit per week' rule. They vary, as do people eating preferences. Our favourites were the Asian and Steakhouse. The Italian was good, the French not so great. But thats just our personal taste and there were no shortage of takers to dine in the French. Decoratively these restaurants are beautiful with colourful and modern design that would put many a London eatery to shame.

The buffet, ( which seemed permanently open ), on first visit was overwhelming. Absolutely loads of choice of starters, mains and deserts although, in all honesty, by the end of the week we had understandably exhausted its options. Its not that it wasn't good food or well presented...It's just the nature of all inclusive buffet restaurants. Once again it was an incredibly clean and well managed restaurany.

Like most 'all inclusive' hotels the local alcoholic drinks are a bit iffy. The red and white wine's were arduous and comparative to something you might pick up at the lower shelfs of a bargain supermarket.

A really nice touch is the courtyard where there are standalone eateries including an ice cream parlour, a coffee and cake shop and a burger bar. Each was clean and served good quality food and drinks.

The rooms do have a faint musty smell as previously mentioned, but you don’t notice it after a day or two. They are very spacious with a huge comfortable bed. Possibly the best week of sleep I’ve had considering I’m an insomniac.

Not far from here is the evening theatre area and, at 9.30 each night, a show was performed. Of the three we saw, 2 were excellent and one mediocre BUT it was far better than other resorts we have stayed at. The entertainment staff work incredibly hard and are so friendly. It was Dominican Republic Independence Day whilst we were there so they had a parade, including the children from kids club, my daughter loved it. You can earn Onyx dollars to bid on merchandise for every activity you take part in, great fun.

Back to the staff....If you have read any previous reviews you would have heard guests mention Julia Roberts, a waitress by the large pool near the beach. She was assisted by Jasmine, who attend to your beverage requirements whilst you sunbathe. Julia was an incredibly warm and funny character. It is often said a resort is only as good as the staff who work there and she is without doubt an asset to the the hotel.

My daughter attended the kids club and really enjoyed it. The staff were super friendly and efficient.

Our tour rep ( TUI ) was Raul. We met him on the first morning and, despite the fact we were the only people to turn up, he sped through and didnt waste a second of our holiday.

Back to the Asian restaurant : Raymourd, our young Tepanyaki chef was great. A little shy but he did a great job. On our sitting we were joined by an American family who ignored the dress code and just about maxed out how disrespectful you could be. The dad wore a sports vest, the teenage kids sat with headphones on and eyes trained like snipers to their iphones. Fortunately they sat quietly ignoring each other which I suppose is better than if they'd been shooting their mouths off or complaining.

The gym is fantastic, the best gym we’ve been to at an all inclusive. My son and husband used it every day. The equipment is top quality and having the punch bag was an added bonus too.

The beach is off the scale beautiful. We walked every day for a about 30 minutes before turning back to the hotel and it is literally a picture post card stretch of sand. The further you go from Now Onyx you bump into beach traders who are selling paintings etc. Thery're harmless and fine if you are firm.

The sea, being the Atlantic ocean, is choppy. Most days it was on yellow flag, some on red, never on green. The hotel has so many pools though so going in the sea isn't really essential, although I always like to dip my toes in.

How do I rate it? We'd not been to the Dominican Republic for years as we'd been to Punta Plata before and hated it. This is a beautiful resort on a wonderful stretch of beach. It's a 5 out of 5 for me everytime.

We NEVER go back to the same resort but, if I couldn't find anything new for next year that excited me, I would have no problems returning to this 5 star all inclusive.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
NowOnyxPC, General Manager at Now Onyx Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear malagamolly,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you and for your review. We are glad to know that overall, you had a good time, and that we could exceed your expectations with most of our services. We are always ready to improve and we will have your heads up about food offer, house wine and entertainment on account. We here remain at your disposal, and look forward to welcoming you back anytime.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We just returned from 7 nights at the Now Onyx. We are a family of 4 including two kids (12 and 10 yr-old girls). We stayed in a Preferred Club Swim-Up room. We travelled with another family of 4 including two boys (ages 9 and 6). They also stayed Preferred Club. Overall, it was a great stay. Here are some of the particulars:
The Good:
- although skeptical at first, the preferred club was worth it. Large percentage of pools and beach space devoted to preferred.
- the entire staff was very welcoming and friendly. Our favorites were Luis in the Preferred Club Lounge, along with Maximo and especially Wiz Khalifa of the ETeam. They really engaged us (and especially the kids) throughout the day.
- the beach was nice; no real problems with seaweed (or the fact that it is not a private beach)
- the facilities overall are beautiful
The Not-So-Good:
- the pools really are cold, only warming up for us on the last 2 days?
- could use another restaurant, especially if staying for a week. (An alternative would be shared facilities with another family-friendly resort nearby. Dreams?)
- dampness in the rooms is present, but not a real problem. Definitely recommend bringing DampRid.
- not particular to this resort, but you REALLY DO NOT want to drink the water in DR, even a little bit.
Overall, we had a great week!

Room Tip: We had a Preferred Club Swim-Up Room (Rm 5150) and really liked it.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Dear Harry1223,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you and for your review. We are glad to know that overall, you had a good time, and that we could exceed your expectations with most of our services. Regarding your room, please allow us to comment that due to our tropical weather, humidity levels are high; therefore, we recommend our guests to keep the air conditioning on. Given any discomfort, we are also able to offer a room change. We here remain at your disposal, and look forward to welcoming you back to anytime.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2018

My husband and I just spent a long Easter weekend at (full capacity ) Now Onyx. Transport to the club was a smooth forty minutes. Upon arrival, I upgraded to preferred club services for sixty dollars per day, even though we had a a swim up non- preferred room.I was very glad I did. Now Onyx is a vast, family orientated club.With preferred services, adults can take advantage of the adults only section of the club. Kelvin, our butler, made our concerns about the room (warm and musty) a little better by taking the temperature down to 19C.While others complained to managers on deaf ears, Kelvin took care of the situation!.Worth it! He also made reservations...
We went non-buffet, eating a little later than usual, but always very satisfied with the quality of the food and the fantastic service. I do suggest expanding the dinner waiting area.It was too small an area for all the specialty restaurants .
I did rise by 7, to get my spot on the beach,so get your towels the previous day if you are particular. No seaweed, nice waves and super bar service.
We didn't do any excursions, and we weren't bothered by timeshare sales, or locals- very unusual .
We did go to Breathless-the pool-a must do .
This was our third Now property, my particular favorite was Now Sapphire. Now Onyx has some air conditioning kinks to work out, but all in all it was a nice break from the snowy northeast.

Room Tip: Add preferred club services
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imoran

Dear imoran,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We are glad to know that overall, you had a good time, and that we could exceed your expectations with most of our services. We are sure everyone you have mentioned will be happy to know they enhanced your experience. We care about our guests, and anytime we receive a report, we do everything in our hands to solve the situation and make our guests feel at home. Thank you for allowing us to help. We look forward to welcoming you back anytime.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Ok this is an honest review of the resort. At first I was a little worried that I picked the wrong place after reading some of the reviews but it was no reason for me to worry at all. The service was overall very good!!
Upon arrival around 1pm I was taken to the preferred club. There I was greeted with drinks and completed check in paperwork. The room wasn’t ready so I was introduced to my butler Jansel. He gave me and my daughters a tour of the place then showed us where we could have lunch. First impressions of the resort were that it was very clean and all employees I encountered were very friendly.
The lunch buffet was average with a decent selection. You also had the option of ordering off the menu in the lunch preferred dining area. They also had a grill by the beach for lunch that served hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, salads and nachos. I ate their 2 or 3 times. Food was good but they ran out of plates one day which caused a bit of a lineup. I wasn’t in a rush so no worries.
Our room was well cleaned but only had two facecloths. I just went in the hall and asked the housekeeper for an extra so no problem. The room was a little musty but I lit candles and it was fine. No problems with the ac. My room was nice and cool.
We really enjoyed the ice cream shop and ate at the burger bar once (good burger). The restaurants were good. Didn’t have a bad meal. The Steakhouse and Spice were our favorites.
Service at the preferred pool was great Mogueson is a great guy and the two ladies ( sorry can’t remember names) were amazing. We rented an island one day at the pool and loved it.
Overall a great resort.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Dear Btayles98,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you and for your review. We are glad to know that overall, you had a good time, and that we could exceed your expectations with most of our services. We are always ready to improve and we will have your heads up on account. We here remain at your disposal, and look forward to welcoming you back anytime.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Special mention to Massiel at the preferred swimming pool and all the staff there for being really helpful and friendly, always in a good mood to keep us like at home.
Special mention to Ariel (vip host in breathless) for his impressive attention for detail, including amazing decorations for my wife's birthday, and anything asked and needed.
And generally speaking to all the great and friendly staff there. We were really impressed that during the parties held in the main lobby the girls always kept us with fresh drinks when needed.
The restaurants are unbelievable, we were served so quickly that we couldn't believe how fast the service was 99% of the time. The food was delicious (starters and mains) sweets are average except for the tiramisu in the italian restaurant (will come back only for having those ones again )
Special mention to the staff in the steak restaurant in breathless. So friendly, an excellent team. They can even assemble a band to play some music and the only merengue heard in the whole trip (big disappointment as we love merengue). We'll never forget the one roll given for both of us (it really works). Great steak!
We had an emergency and immediately Angel, one of the staff in the breathless team managed to get us a cab and put us in contact with a local dentist not far from the resort. Cesar Rodriguez, the taxi driver, was also very patient and helpful as it took long time to sort out our problem in there.
Vicente in now Onyx was really helpful when first arrived and tried to contact the tui rep. Then he was also helpful on extra information about the resort.
The only negative we can add to the extremely positive feedback is the confusion with the areas we were allowed to use or not, given we were upgraded from now onyx and given a preferred club card. It gave us a bit of a hassle when trying to use the swimming pool and tried to get breakfast in the preferred areas.
We'll definitely come back.

Room Tip: Great view next to the beach
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juan G

Dear Juan G,

Thank you for staying with us and for your amazing review. We love to know you had an 'Excelente' time, and that you enjoyed our bar service and friendly service. Please be sure we will recognize all those you have mentioned on your behalf. Now Onyx Punta Cana is your home, and you are always welcome back.

Sunny regards,