We just returned from 6 days at Casa de Campo where we spent Thanksgiving. Having read mostly favorable but some mixed reviews I was a bit apprehensive but I'm please to report that the vacation exceeded all of our expectations. We had 9 people on this trip and all 9 loved it.
We had 4 rooms that appear to have been remodeled in the recent past. The rooms were spacious, clean, comfortable and well appointed. They are done in a carribbean style so if you're looking for Las Vegas style glitz you won't find it - nor should you in this setting.
The resort is enormous but they provide you with a golf cart to get around and that works. The regular hotel is located near the main building which is where the main pool, spa, salon and breakfast are located. It's also close to the golf pro shop. If you stay in a Villa you could be anywhere on the 7,000 acre compound.
From the main area we used the golf cart to go to the beach area (Playa Minitas), the Marina (where they have shopping and wonderful al fresco dining)and Altos de Chavon (an incredible reproduction of a mediterranean village featuring a museum, shops and restaurants with beautiful views of the Chavon River). Each is about a 10 minute golf cart ride from the main area - but worth the trip.
We took the inclusive plan and highly recommend it. It provided unlimited drinks and access to many restaurants. We enjoyed the food served poolside and also the restaurant at Minitas Beach for lunch. For dinner we ate at Tropicana (Continental), Chinois (Chinese), Piazetta (Italian) and Sombrero (Mexican). With the exception of Sombrero the food and service was excellent in each restaurant. Sombrero had poor food and poor service and its only redeeming features were the mariachi and the donkey rides.
If you use the inclusive plan you may be concerned by the fact that you keep signing checks for the bills with the promise that they will not appear on your bill. We were sure we were going to have improper charges at checkout but, true to their word, they were all covered. Other than tipping (above the 10% included service charge) we did not expend one extra nickel for food or drinks. The inclusive also included sunfish, kayaks, paddle boats, snorkel equipment, beach toys, floats, horseback riding and more. All were very nice.
Golf at Casa de Campo is world class. The Links is a player friendly course in excellent condition. Dye Fore has stunning views of the Chavon River and is challenging and in excellent condition. Teeth of the Dog is sometimes called the "Pebble Beach of the Carribean". I've played Pebble Beach and while in my opinion Pebble is in a class of its own, this course is spectacular.
We found the staff at Casa de Campo extremely accomodating. Wages in DR are very low and these are considered good jobs so they aim to keep them. It was refreshing to be in an enviroment where staff actually appreciated tips instead of expecting them and was anxious to provide great service with a smile to earn them.
We go on 4-6 vacations per year and Casa de Campo will occupy a high slot in our rotation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the most exclusive resort destination in the Caribbean—Casa de Campo Resort and Villas—a stunning 7,000-acre hotel, resort, and residential community in La Romana on the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic. Our tropical playground features a unique array of amenities, including an expansive marina, tennis courts, and polo facilities. Casa de Campo is also one of the most sought-after Dominican Republic golf resorts featuring three championship golf courses — including Pete Dye’s masterpiece, Teeth of the Dog, the #1 ranked course in the Caribbean and number 39 in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, TripOnline SA, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Casa de Campo Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De Campo Hotel La Romana
- Casa De Campo Dominican Republic
- Casa Del Campo Dominican Republic