1,716 results
All reviews teeth of the dog golf cart casa de campo dye fore horseback riding beach club skeet shooting all inclusive package lago grill dominican republic great golf le cirque minitas beach golf courses are punta cana golf trip all inclusive plan
Reviewed 27 November 2006

Was on trip advisor and saw some of the reviews and was suprised at some things and not so surprised at others. Been at Casa de CAmpO last 4 years in Feb and have enjoyed each trip. We have family of five with three children (13-10-5) and we love this resort but it is not for everybody. First of all would recommend a villa as give much more room and dont need to go out for every meal. There is a grocery store at the marina which you could take the golf cart which is supplied to the villa's (15 min drive) and YOU DO need the golf cart to get around. The resort is huge and when hot a small walk doesnt seem so small. The beach is nice, can be a little rocky. There are sailboats, paddleboats and a banana boat ride which they will tow you around. (No Jetski's) I saw reviews about jellyfish and man o wars and in the 4 years we have been there have never seen one. This resort is not for everyone we are big beach people and spend half our days at the beach. The pool at the main area is fine, not the hugest but have never heard a compalint about it. Most villa's have pools also.There is a camp for kids which our kids have been at once or twice. They liked it but we like to spend our vacatons with the kids and dont put them in many camps wherever we go. Horseback riding is fine. Not great but not bad either. Can be a little warm with long pants. The trails basically intersect parts of the resort between the golf courses and can be a little dusty. Now where this resort is not for everybody is the night life. Besides the restaurants at the marina and Altosde Chavon they are no clubs and things are pretty quiet at night. We usually meet my parents there so besides dinner out at one of the restaurants at the marina or Alto's we dont have a problem hanging at the villa. Now the biggest area that surprised me was the reports of theft from your rooms. As said before this upcoming trip will be our 5th and have never had a problem with things missing from our rooms or villa's. The villa's come with a maid and a butler who after preparing breakfast are cleaning the villa and are there til luchtime. I have never felt aprehensive of leaving a cellphone or ipod out in front of any of the staff at the villa. I have never even heard about any theft at the resort. Now the resort is a gated resort and there is visible security. Most are directing traffic at a few intersections. There is quite a bit of new construction where many constructiuon crews enter the resort for the day. There are many new homes being built.
So lastly we love this resort as the weather has always been great and we will be back

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
22  Thank pk5500
Reviewed 16 October 2006

Stayed there 3 days beginning of october.
There was very few clients at this season, and that was nice.

The hotel itself is not a luxury hotel; more a 3* outdated resort.
Bedrooms were OK, and service too.
The hotel main restaurant was closed for maintenance.
Good breakfast at Lago Grill instead.
Swimming pool looks just correct.

Altos de Chavon is really a nice place.
The hotel's restaurant there (Cafe del Sol) serves horrible food, that seems principally aimed to American tourists (greasy cheesy pizzas, junk food, ...).

At the Marina, Pepperoni serves really good meals and wines, but it comes at a price....

In summary, the hotel Casa de Campo is definitively not a refined or luxury hotel. The resort is great (especially for golfers) and offers a nice and luxury environment.
Restaurants won't delight the most refined palates.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
9  Thank Patrick_JS
Reviewed 14 October 2006

Staying at Casa de Campo was my first experience in the Carribean so I always remember the Dominican Republic with a soft and misty fondness.

The resort had everything, nice pool, super cabana suites with comfortable beds, closet space and a safe. The beach was terrific. The resort busses to the village where there were several delicious menus to choose from in the restaurants. It was my own naive fault though, that I left some cash in my bag in the room; the friendly housekeeping staff were opportunists. However, the standard of living for most citizens is abhorrent so I do not begrudge the theft.

Stay here, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
6  Thank meanjanine
Reviewed 30 September 2006

I had the pleasure of attending a sales meeting with my wife which was held at Casa de Campo, La Romana, Dominican Republic. This 7,000 acre retreat is a real hidden gem! Now if you are looking for overly priced glitz, stark, common and pretentious rooms, this is not the place for you!

Old World Hospitality combined with an eager to please staff was refreshing and charming. Traditional style rooms with a country club feel captured the true essence of the Caribbean without being caught up in hotel stereotyping. The rooms were clean, overly generous in size, and very comfortable. The wood detailing in the hotel rooms was classic of a bygone era. I really loved it! You can even stay in a lux villa with maid and butler service and have a cook prepare your meals!

There were multiple choices of fine dining and you never felt like ...OK here is your common meal or buffet.... Everything available from Pasta, fish and steak were really superb.

Horseback riding English and Western, not just a few horses but a whole array of them as well! All the programs available for kids posted looked pretty good. Polo, tennis, and OH yes the best Pete Dye Golf Course in the Carribean... The Teeth of The Dog! I believe they have a total of 3 Golf Courses. One Course there is called.. Dye Fore!

The Amphi Theater at Altos de Chavon was surreal! A 5,000 seating capacity outdoor Roman Style Theater with entertainment. Altos de Chavon is an unbelievable village of artists with cobblestone streets, a Church you can get married in, a museum and fine restaurants, all on the property. I could not believe the unique beauty of this place especially at night. Oh and the mention you may hear of those secret stars/starlets roaming around! You never know whom you might bump into!!

A true Caribbean Delight! A must do, at least once!

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank fivestartravler
Reviewed 1 September 2006

Right from the start, during our "check in" our room wasn't ready after waiting for an hour for our room managment were nice enough to upgraded us to a so called "luxury room". We went to Casa with some friends that I had recommended to stay at Casa and they booked a standard room and it was EXACTLY like our room, so we kind of questioned that upgrade. They took us for suckers. The more I think of it the more upset I feel about how they fooled us.
During our stay we were robbed of an I Pod and two T shirts and a brand new Ralph Lauren polo shirt, new with the wrapping and tags. We did not inform the hotel management at the time for the reason that I wasn't sure that my wife had packed the shirts in her luggage the night before we left and I didn't want to imform them until I was sure and I did'nt considered the stolen items of high value. Then we noticed that my wife's "I Pod" was missing and I was sure that I had it in my back pack until I searched for it when we hopped on the shuttle bus to the airport, that's when I realized it was missing. Apparently we were ransacked the day before we left. Perhaps a strategic plan prior to the guests departure. So be careful with your last two days at the resort.
Another issue were the changes at Casa, I was extremely upset with the golf supplement. I remember that the last occasion that I vacationed at Casa I was able to purchase the three day golf supplement at the hotel, but now for no good reason other than to upset your guest during their stay you have to purchase it online ONLY. We only played one round so the resort won't get away with their malicious agenda of making us pay more due to their technicalities. I also was disappointed with the night life at Casa, three years ago the Cana bar had a show every night. Now the night life is completely dead at the bar and at the resort in general. The menu changes were all pointing to the decline of what was once great. The new limitations of the all inclusive supplement were disappointing also.
We also booked the "Sunset trail ride" which on Casa's website describes something so romantic and exciting, but to our dismay it was a rip off. The trail was to be a three hour ride, but in reality it was a galloping 30 to 40min ride. Then our guides expected a tip for their rip off service. Yea right! I gave them a tip alright, I told them not to take money from strangers!
We enjoyed very much how beautiful the resort is and the great weather, our complaint was with the new way the administration are handling the new changes and the thieves that they employ.
I can assure you that not only will this be my last trip to Casa but I will never again refer anyone else to the resort also.
If your reading this review because you might be interested in going to Casa, well I can assure you that you are going to regret this trip and the money you wasted. If you do decide to ignor the warnings, don't take valuables and be prepared to be upset.
I posted a complaint on their website and received no answer. No apology or inquiries in reference of the stolen goods. That's how much they care!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
37  Thank New-Horizon