“Casa de Campo Cacique #21”

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in La Romana
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Our group spent 5 nights in Cacique #21. It rained 2.5 days so we did not get to the main resort much. We had a cook and maid, pool, hot tub, pool table and living space for cards.
Since our last trip 2 years ago, the renovations have been completed, and the areas are beautiful, we did not use the aminities.
As for Cacique #21, I was not impressed. The view from the mail living area was the golf course and the ocean, it was beautiful. Only ONE bedroom had an ocean view. The rooms were not well lit, beds were hard. Our room was above the kitchen, noisy!
It is a privatly owned villa, so we had people to help with problems, The hot tub was either too cold or too hot, the pool was dirty. I did see the man clean it, but it was still cloudy all the time. There was not hot water in any bathroom for showers until after 11am.
Our cook and service was very good!
As a group, we enjoyed our time together.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures and ask questions before you book.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank dga75
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

We are truly sorry your trip to Casa de Campo was not what you expected. Allow me to clarify, Casa de Campo is a 7,000 acre resort that features over 1500 private villa homes; however, within the hotel, our guests have at their access: 155 hotel rooms, 10 suites and approx. 50 of these private villa homes of which the owners make available to the hotel for our guests. Many villa owners choose not to rent their villa homes through the hotel, but rent them out themselves or put their villa in the hands of private administrators of villa rental companies. It is unfortunate, but the management of Casa de Campo has no control of the guest experience within these villas and often times the guests become frustrated during their stay which results in a total disappointing vacation experience at Casa de Campo – which sounds like what happened to you during your stay. The guest departs not wanting to return and suggests to their friends to do the same.

The villa homes within our hotel inventory must pass high quality and safety standards customary of the Casa de Campo brand and LHW. Guests staying in our villas, have full access to all Casa de Campo resort facilities at no additional charges; receive preferred rates on our three Pete Dye golf courses; their own Concierge for use upon booking their stay for all advance reservations and can plan their vacation and enjoy their stay in with the confidence that the Casa de Campo brand is behind their experience.

We hope – at some point, you might reconsider Casa de Campo for your family vacation and book your villa stay through the hotel directly, through The Leading Hotels of the World or through your preferred travel agent. We guarantee your experience will be not like the one last experienced and you will depart with an understanding of why people who book their vacations through the hotel, leave with a very special place in their hearts, for Casa de Campo.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 30 September 2011

Casa De Campo is billed as the premier luxury resort in the Caribbean for a reason - it is the premier luxury resort in the Caribbean!

We rented a villa in the Cacique section of the complex, and were very satisfied with the experience. This particular villa (which in reality was a mini-mansion) had 6 large bedrooms with en suite baths (the master bedroom was massive...), several spacious sitting areas, a full dining room, a fully functional kitchen, and a huge swimming pool and hot tub just off the back sitting area.

Included in our rate were the daytime services of a housekeeper, a cook and a pool boy. We also had use of a golf cart, which was important considering that the complex is sprawling. Since we're talking about the complex - aside from numerous villas and a hotel, there is also a large shopping area (check out Jenny Polanco for local and somewhat affordable accessories and clothing) and a beautiful beach. You can also participate in numerous activities such as boating, horseback riding, shooting, golfing and the like. There is also a recreated Tuscan village close by that is worth exploring for a few hours; the resort offers a complementary shuttle back and forth at regular intervals throughout the day.

The one thing that I found troublesome was the distance of this resort from the international airport in Santo Domingo where most flights arrive. It's almost a two hour ride each way; I just took it as an opportunity to have a brief look around the Dominican Republic at 40 mph.

I didn't find much opportunity to experience the real Dominican Republic while staying here, which was a disappointment to me, but I recognize that many people come to resorts like this for exactly that reason - to get away from the real world. This resort is the perfect location for a luxe beach vacation. If you're looking to get away from it all for a little while, this a great place to do exactly that.

Room Tip: Splurge on a villa - it's worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank aslopes
Reviewed 30 September 2011

During July of 2011 I had a business trip to La Romana, Dominican Republic. I had a few different choices in hotels where I would have stayed, Casa de Campo was a few hundred dollars more for he full 5 nights stay than the other hotels I was researching. I decided to give them a try and discover if it was worth the extra money. I have been to Santo Domingo, Juan Dolio, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, but never to La Romana before. All I have to say is that I am speechless! By far this is the best hotel I have been to in the Dominican Republic by far.

Security is second to none. When I arrived in my rental car I had to positively identify myself before I was able to get to the front desk. Once at the Front Desk I was greeted by friendly and helpful staff, from the parking valet, to the door man to the desk clerks. Check in was a snap and in no time I was in my room, taking a shower and changing to attend my first meeting for the trip. Once I returned to the hotel I was able to better appreciate how large and beautiful the grounds of this hotel are.

There is a wide variety of restaurant types throughout the complex, some great and some just OK. My favorite restaurant? The Beach Club (run by Le Cirque I believe). Everything I had the pleasure of eating there was excellent. The second best restaurant was La Caña, right next to the swimming pools (great for lunch).

Altos de Chavon were a lot of fun for having a few drinks and relaxing after a long stressful day in meetings.

My only regret? Not being there on vacation. Maybe next year I will go as a tourist instead as on business!

If you are considering staying at this wonderful hotel, do not think about it any more and just book it. It may cost more than all the other hotels in the area, but it is worth every penny! For business or leisure, if you happen to be at or near La Romana, Casa de Campo is the hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Don P
Reviewed 3 September 2011

this complex have been around since 1980's. it is huge and everything is just nice and detailed. it has polo courses, golf courses, shooting, horseback riding and many things more.

it's one of the best resorts all over the world, you can go to hotel rooms, or rent a villa. everything is there, fly directly to romana to avoid 1:45 minutes from santo domingo airport.

dont forget to see altos de chavo, bayahibe and if posible take a boat tour to a nearby island for the day. you wont forget

Room Tip: contact them directly , some times they run specials
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank dgeronimopo
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

On behalf of our entire hotel staff, thank you for the kind information you provided to Trip Advisor readers on our resort.

New flights to our airport, just 8 minutes from checkin coming on JetBlue from JFK in NY begin Nov. 16; on American Eagle from San Juan, Puerto Rico begin Nov. 18th; and AA flies in each day right now from Miami.

We do have seasonal specials that offer a great value and will soon post new ADVANCE REWARDS to provide guests greater savings. Also note, the amphitheater at the Altos de Chavon village you referenced is now celebrating its 30th anniversary year and will feature performances and concerts from now through Summer 2012. Stay tuned to the resort website for details on the Advance Rewards and shows at the amphitheater.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Great family vacation. Many fun activities--Snorkeled and kayaked at Minitas beach. Toured Maravillas caves, relaxing massage at the spa, exhilarating horseback ride, fun skeet shooting, beautiful pool and swim up bar, fun riding golf carts all over the place, World class restaurants. With all these attributes I have listed, the most memorable and heartwarming asset is the staff. They made me feel welcome, cared for and special.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
#2 of 112 in Punta Cana
61.7 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!