All reviews specialty restaurants buffet restaurant water pressure saona island large pool beach bar housekeeping staff beautiful beach one night every morning italians puj catalunya privileged pillows dr activities
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Good: location. The beach was beautiful! The hotel grounds were nice and well kept. The entertainment team is fun and energetic. Nice and fun themed nights.
Staff is very friendly however, we didn’t notice supervisors/captains. Seems like employees run everything.

Poor: Rooms were outdated and run down. Looks line they try to do quick repairs with no attention to details. Our first room had a leak in the shower. Whenever we used it water would leak out from the floor into the room. Asked for a room change. They couldn’t do it until check-outs waere completed the next day (3-4 pm). We had an excursion to go to that afternoon so it was ok with us. We left our luggage at the lobby and upon our return we had another room.
That one did not have a leak but the A/C was cool not cold. We complained about it. They changed the thermostat. That didn’t make a difference. Complained again and nothing happened. At this point we only had a night left and didn’t want to pack to switch rooms again...

Food was ok...we had better food during one of our excursions.

No drink service at pool/beach. You have to go get your own drinks...

Also, they try to sell you memberships and tend to be pushy, specifically in the morning while you are trying to have a relaxing cup of coffee.

Overall it was an ok resort. We have had better experiences at other all-inclusives.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Jessica T
Reviewed 8 July 2018

The Catalonia was a great smaller resort and well worth the money! You get all the
fun and service of a more expensive resort. The rooms were a little older but the beds
were new and comfy and flat screen tv hot water and cold air! A little musty smell but
did not smell after first day nor did it affect sleep! The maid cleaned when asked and
brought fresh water and towels. We wanted to be a little closer to beach and pool so we were midway. VIP get the ones closer I guess.
The food was great. Not much variety in buffet but I love mangu every morning and
the coffee was fresh and delicious! not from an automatic dispenser! I love that you didn't have to make reservations for the restaurants and could eat any one for an allotted number of times for your stay. We ate at the Rodeo 2X as the beef was real
Angus beef and the best meat I've had in the DR. We ate at the Yucca once and the Italian once. Orlando is the jeffe and strives for excellent and professional service! He
is awesome? Also the Pizzeria buffet was nice with hot pizza, fried fish, yucca chips,
and the mango was better there than at the main buffet for some reason. The main
buffet got crowded at times and unable to get table.
The animation staff are awesome and got everyone up to all the activities all the
time. I've never seen such great participation in all the resorts I've been to. and they
do all the shows themselves, except for circus show, and do an amazing job. They
are all very talented and work 24/7 to bring entertainment to the turistas! I can't remember everyone but Maximo, Santos, Celine, Genesys, Jessy, and every one of
them are professional and super fun! I'd be dead after one night doing what they do!
Who needs a disco when they got everyone up dancing before and after the show
every night! The Merenguito bar was large and had a lot of variety and my mojitos
every night! and special flavor mamajuanas! Sometimes had to jostle for attention with
some of the RUDE turistas. I think we were the only ones who gave tips but were not
ever given preferential treatment. Very professional! The pool was nice and big but
would have been better with swim up bar. The beach and the palapas were great and the beach bar made crepes! theres rocks in the water but they have a pretty big area with mostly sand and the water is beautiful! You can jog the beach for a mile or more.
we went to saona island one day, went to la romana one day and bajahibe one day. a lot of pobreza in la romana that we brought clothes. the taxi drivers always take you to the same store. (kick back?) Anyway, we will definitely go back to Catalonia. Out of
the 10 places I've been so far in the DR, it's the best for the money! We even did a foam party! Why pay twice as much for same quality? coudos to the Catalonia staff!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovedr913
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia La Romana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Dear guest,

We would like to thank the time you are taking to share your feedback. We are very grateful to hear that you had a good experience with us and that you enjoyed the services and facilities. Please be assured that your comments and suggestions have been taken into consideration and that we will do our utmost to improve. We certainly look forward to your returning trip in the near future.

Regards,
General Manager.

Reviewed 4 July 2018

I would first like to give a shout out to Reyna Rodriguez (Manager), Dorothy (Concierge), Alberto & Julia (waiter/waitress) and the maid for Villa Seibo, they all performed above and beyond.

I am a very fussy eater, but the food was the best I ever had in the DR. Poor food was the main reason for not going to the DR for the last six years. Not a huge selection, but a decent selection, and what was put out was always fresh, and never re-used. I can honestly say that I didn't have a bad meal in my ten day family vacation. Even the lunch meat was constantly being changed and fresh. The specialty restaurants were superb as well. The Italian could have been a little faster (2 hour wait for lasagna).

I definitely liked the way they do their specialty restaurants with a first come first serve mentality. No more waiting at someone's desk in line for hours, only to have times of 6 pm or 9 pm as the times available. You get your specialty restaurants ticket, and you go when you want.

Good, bad and ugly section.
There was a small problem with our AC unit, but thanks to Reyna, who quickly made a bad situation good. Don't wait too long to shower, you'll just get cold water. Just a few bug bites, expected. Rooms are typical, nothing special. Pool and jacuzzi were just ok. Ocean area was well maintained. An early morning coffee station is needed. Free WIFI everywhere was the best at any resort I ever stayed in over the last 25 years. Upgrade was well worth it.

Final thoughts. If you are debating between this resort and others in the La Romana area, don't give it a second thought. You won't be disappointed. Exclusive part of the resort is adults only, privilege is not the same, so when you look at the pics, understand what your paying for. Well maintained resort but not a whole lot of Americans. Mainly Europeans. Small contingent of locals on the weekend. Night time entertainment was just so, so.

Room Tip: any privelaged room
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Amber_U53279
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia La Romana, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Dear Amber,

Thank you for your valuable time in posting your review on Trip Advisor. We hope you had pleasant return back home from your holidays. Please know we are very sorry in regards of the inconveniences presented and apologize for the discontent. We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, and give you the treat you deserve.

Kind regards,
General Manager.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

The staff made you feel so comfortable at this resort, if you want to be entertains all day, this is the way to go, From the large pool to the frozen drinks, the dancing the shows every night. it was a magical experience for me.

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Is the second time we were at this hotel, is a new hotel and the smell is not mold the smells is fresh cement. Great rooms, great restaurants and excellent serves and every aspect. Beautiful surroundings and the most important the beach is the wonderful Caribbean, pure blue clear waters. Variety of restaurants. We highly recommend it. You have to go to form you own opinion .

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool or you own pool
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple