“Awesome.”

USD 75.00*
Damajagua Waterfalls Adventure from Puerto Plata
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We knew we were going to do this trip before we ever left the states. We downloaded the information from the web site and knew that it should only cost us $10 for ALL 27.

Checked into it through concierge when we arrived at hotel anyway, but still knew it was better to rent a car for the day and drive there, best thing we did on our 10 day trip. We met another couple at the hotel we got along with and told them our plans and they decided to come with us and split the costs of the rental. It was very inexpensive overall...

We did all 27 falls, here is the bottom line: you must have some endurance, and be somewhat physically fit... The other couple we went with were 26 and 30, a very fit nurse and very fit firefighter / mountain climber. We are 36 and 40, a chubby auto body guy and a not chubby but definitely not physical woman. The other couple had no problem with climbing the falls and navigating through the narrow & slippery rocks. I, the125 lb, 5'5" 40 yo not so fit woman, had a tough time pulling myself up at times... the guides were very helpful but climbing isn't my thing, thankfully I was light enough that they pretty much just yanked me where I had to be. My man however, had a tough time... the guides were sure to remind him how heavy he was each & every time they pulled him up to another level or lagged behind.

Point is this.... if you are overweight, handicapped, a typical old guy, not a strong swimmer, a whiner, complainer, balance challenged, a primadonna, afraid of heights, afraid of jumping from heights, afraid of water, afraid of cold water, rushing water, water getting up your nose, water getting up other up other places, have a fear of losing your bikini, fear of sliding down rock waterfall slides, fear of strange small barefoot men randomly gropping and yanking you in different directions, or have a dislike of helmets, then this trip is NOT for you.

Wear Teva's, or some kind of open water/hiking shoe, wear short shorts (girls), the trip is a hike, and unless you look like Gisele Bündchen no one wants your butt in their face while climbing. Tip the guides well, they work hard.

Also, this is a national park, so there is no hussle happening here. Its very straight and to the point, its great, but can be dangerous, watch out for the slick rocks in the shallow waters.

Have fun, this trip is AWESOME... we did MANY excursions while here and this was the BEST.

6  Thank sarahlovesitaly

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My friends and I (ages 23-27) went to the DR for spring break and spent most of our time in Santo Domingo. We spent one day doing this tour and it AMAZING! The water is clear and cool (not cold, cool which feels great on a hot day). There are not quite 27 waterfalls, but believe me, there are plenty to have fun with. The exertion level for this trip is slightly higher than moderate...you don't have to be in the best shape of your life (there's very little climbing involved) but you need stamina because the hike up the mountain is about 45 minutes + about 2 hours (depending on how long it takes you to get up the courage to jump from the tallest one...which is about 25 ft.) to get back down via waterfall. Our guides were awesome - very friendly and spoke pretty good English. You will definitely want to bring a waterproof camera and wear your bathing suits (maybe with shorts over it, ladies - some of the rocks can scratch your bum). Also, wear shoes with good tread/grip power because some of the rocks/cliffs are slippery with mildew and my friends and I all slipped at least once. BUT ANYWAY - the trip itself was great, we had a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone who wants to have an adventurous, adrenaline-filled day out! The company website is: http://www.colonialtours.com.do/charcos_of_damajagua_dominican_republic.htm. WARNING: if you book with colonial tours, you may want to request that you don't have "Victor" as your guide. He got us lost in Santiago for about 30 minutes and then he joined us on the trip itself BUT DIDN'T OFFER ANY USEFUL TIPS OR INFORMATION. The company that runs the base/dispatch point provides their own guides who know the paths and waterfalls like the back of their hands so Victor was really superfluous to the process. We wonder if the cost of his admittance/gear was passed on to us. He also held us up because he is grossly out of shape (making a 2-3 hour trip more like 5) and wanted to stop to take his own pictures the whole time. He was the only downside to our trip.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

A real adrenaline rush and great crew to make it a great tour

Reviewed 20 March 2012

great excursion, well worth the money, got to see the mountians and local way of life, climbing the waterfalls was amazing.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

The day starts with a lengthy drive through city and country side which gives you a great opportunity to see more of the region. The guide in the van filled the time with tons of great information about life in the Dominican Republic and it's history. Once there we hiked up the mountainside, which was beautiful and then the real fun began! It was such an excellent adventure! it's so beautiful and so fun - but my husband and I were constantly laughing over how incredibly 'unsafe' it would be considered by Canadian safety standards! Big tip though - bring your own shoes! Even a pair of runners will do nicely. I didn't have 'water shoes' so planned to rent some as I was told I could. The rental shoes were not water shoes as we think of them. They were canvas "Keds" sneakers and they didn't have my size so I was forced to wear shoes that were too tight and ended up with awful blisters on both my heels, almost ruining the day for me.
The lunch at the end was fantastic, some of the best BBQ chicken we've ever eaten.

1  Thank juliagm