“Don't Waste your Time or Money”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Presque Isle, Wisconsin
“Don't Waste your Time or Money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed at this property in 2011 and was treated like royalty, so this year I and my boyfriend decided to spend a week there in February. WOW!—what a difference a year makes. We were basically treated like crap. Do not waste your time on this property. Registration is a farce, at best. Upon arrival we were told we had a room upgrade from our original registration; however, it was a huge downgrade. We could not get our original reservation back, and spent a lot of our vacation time trying to get the compensation we were told we would receive, but never did. From the time you arrive, you are hounded by representatives who, on the premise of giving you a tour of the facility for ease of finding restaurants, etc., take you to a building where they insist they must talk to you about buying into their organization. You are told that they receive $20 for everyone they talk to, and if you refuse to listen to the talk, the representatives are rude to you for the rest of your stay. And I mean rude. Two of them literally put their noses in the air whenever we walked past them. Some activities offered don’t exist, the reefs are mostly dead, dinner reservations in certain restaurants (food at “The VIP Gourmet was awful…food at Johnnys and Rodezio was great) are difficult to get. If you have any kind of problem, you can find no one to help you with it. Their grounds are beautiful and well-kept, the beach is nice, the food is acceptable, and the employees on the grounds, in the restaurants, and housekeeping are great. However, the way this organization is run leaves much to be desired. There are more inconsistencies than one can imagine—no two people are treated the same, or told the same things. If you still decide to go here, I suggest that you bring documentation from Lifestyle of your room reservation and if they try to give you a room other than your reservation, insist, insist, insist, on seeing the room first to be sure it is as nice as, or better than, your original reservation. We also found out that if you buy into the organization, you don’t get what you think you have purchased--each year your privileges become fewer and fewer. So... if you go, GOOD LUCK!—we, and many of the guests we spoke with, will never go to Lifestyle again.

4 Thank William C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This the the second time visiting Lifestyles(also went in March of 2011), and unless you are really negative and jaded...this resort vacation is the absolut best when it comes to value It is a true all inclusive and all the bases are covered...food , drink, chairs and towels, sports, there is really nothing bad to say about this resort.

4 Thank Bob514
Delray Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We recently visited this resort to attend a wedding taking place on property. We will not be returning and none of the 60+ wedding guests will either. First off we bought the VIP all inclusive package, the package that includes all the top amenities the resort provides. When we arrived at VIP check in it took 2 hours to check in, how is that VIP? Not only that but we had reserved and paid for a Presidential suite but were told that there were none left. This apparently happened to many people within our group and outside the group. We had to fight to get our money back. It seems as though the hotel was way overbooked. We tried to make dinner reservations but were told every night that all 15 or so restaurants were sold out. When we did get to eat the food was awful. My husband is Italian and a big eater and will eat almost anything and he was appalled. Again, this isn't just our experience everyone was complaining. The poor bride reserved villa for her reception months in advance and was told the day before her wedding that they had rented the villa where she was hosting the reception out and she had to make other plans inside the resort. I will say that the resort was well maintained and clean. Other than that I can only say that we won't be returning and it seemed like the entire resort was grumbling. Lastly beware of accepting the "VIP Tour" from the people in white shirts. You will be subjected to a 45 minute sales pitch. Also the big beach bash they host at the beach on Sunday is just a huge commercial urging everyone to buy a share in the resort. Well worth skipping and eating off site as they close all the restaurants on property that night so that no one can do anything else but. listen to their pitch.

• Stayed February 2012
milwaukee, wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed at the LHVC Tropical for our honeymoon. I read every review I could find before leaving so wasn't sure what to expect, but kept my expectations on the low side. We received sparkly red wristbands. Overall, we seemed to be treated pretty well and received 4 restaurant reservations upon check-in. I do believe that it is a caste-system, but it didn't affect us much.

Check-in: Check-in was basically painless. Our room wasn't quite ready but we had a few drinks at the bar and were in our room an hour later.

room: I believe we were in one of the basic Tropical rooms. I had read that the bathrooms had no door, but ours did. We were in building 1, 1st floor. The lock on our patio door was broken, but we always locked our valuables in the safe, so we never bothered asking for it to be fixed. Our toilet was also broken, but my husband managed to fix it by playing with it a bit, so we never called for help on that either. Overall, I thought our room was great! Very clean, plenty of space. I hate living out of a suitcase, so I immediately unpacked our things and put them in drawers. The desk drawers were difficult to open, but it wasn't that big of deal. We removed our leftover drinks (water, beer, pepsi, 7up) from our fridge each day and it was always replaced so we had plenty of drinks. I believe the housekeeping staff came into our room approximately 3 times/day. Once to clean(remove dirty towels), once to replace drinks, and once to bring clean towels. So, FYI, if you plan to shower in the middle of the day, make sure you keep a towel. We tipped our maid $1-$2/day depending on how dirty our room was. For example, there was a day that we had tracked sand and mud all over our room, so she got $2 that day. Also, i've never been in a hotel room that doesn't have a notepad of some kind, so I would recommend taking something along to write on. We left notes for our maid(in Spanish) several times requesting extra water. You will be charged for all local calls made from your room and our phone was not working well. I had the call the operator to be connected to any number. If you cell plan offers it, i would go international for the time that you're down there. The calls are cheap, but it's a pain.

Food: The food was my least favorite aspect. I have no complaints about any of the a la carte restaurants. My favorite was El Pilon. My husband got quite sick after eating at Indochine, but I was fine. We also tried Blue Lagoon and Bellini's. Bellini's was packed. We might as we have been sitting at the same table as the people on either side of us. The buffet certainly leaves something to be desired. I would avoid it if you can.

Clipboard Guys: We managed to avoid them most of the trip. When we did run into them, I usually told them that we had an excursion that day and couldn't meet with them or just told them we weren't interested. We did not get harassed.

bars: too numerous to count. We spent all our time at the lobby bar and pool bar. I was extremely disappointed in the service at the VIP Beach bar. Mirja (this is probably spelled wrong) at the lobby bar was VERY good to us. Tip her well-she (and many other locals) love $2 bills. The pool bar is a lot of fun. Ask David (and only David!) for a millennium shot and tell him Lisa sent you. Tip him well, too, it is a time-consuming drink to make, but well worth giving it a try! I guarantee he will ask you who told you about it.

Customer Service: We received a great amount of help from Lucia (RCI rep). I'm not sure if that is because we were guests of RCI owners or if everyone gets the same treatment from her. She even let us use the computer in her office to print some vouchers and our boarding passes.

Wi-Fi: Good luck. It's very spotty. It'll work (sorta) on the VIP beach and the walkway above the beach. There are 2 hotspots. VIP Beach and VIP Beach 2. We found that VIP Beach 2 works better even though it appears that the signal is not as good.

Beach: the public beach was basically deserted and you will be asked to go into every shop. We stayed on the VIP beach. We did NOT get up at 7am and wait for a bed. We were able to find a bed mid-day. ATTENTION DOG-LOVERS: They have many stray dogs on the beach. All of them seem to be friendly. I started taking food from each meal down to the beach for them. I would recommend bringing a small package of dog treats as I'm sure it's better for them.

I was terrified by all the negative reviews on tripadvisor, but was well-prepared and pleasantly surprised. Keep in mind that you're on vacation!

5 Thank mrsbanting
Chelan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Went with lower expectations that normal based on reviews read, but had a fabulous time! There was a variety of food, our "RCI concierge" had made reservations for a different restaurant each night and we were not disappointed! We were hounded one morning by the 'tour' guy - finally succumbed to the pressure and literally spent 15 minutes with the salesman who did take no as an answer and graciously sent us on our way - we were not approached again. Took lots of $1 bills to use as tips for the drinks and at mealtime - found that to improve service. Expect to get your own drinks from the bars throughout the day if you are lounging at the pools - waitstaff only circulate the VIP areas. If sun is your thing - head down to the pool at 0800 and stake out some beach chairs, then go have breakfast. With RCI we were admitted into several VIP areas, definitely not a must have - just means more attentive service and some fluffy white towels :) Loved the weather, swam in the ocean, enjoyed the all-inclusive, especially sampling all the different mixed drinks! For the return trip to the airport - find a buddy to share the cab fare - ideally make plans with the people you travel with upon arrival, it's one fare for up to 5 people.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 5 are farther from the road traffic and maintenance buildings.