Stayed at the Bachata from 22 March to 29 March, 2012 with 2 other couples and overall enjoyed our stay but Riu needs to reconsider their 5-star rating of this property which I would rate as more of a 3-star resort.
Transfer from the airport to the hotel via Olympus Tours was quick and easy. Jose was assigned to be our rep while we were in DR and he was awesome! Gave us lots of information about what to expect at the hotel, how to be safe and healthy while in DR and what tours were best for what we wanted to see.
Bachata staff greated us on arrival with a smile and fruity beverage. Porter was very quick to take our bags upon arrival and escort us to our room which was located in building 1. While the building is the furthest from the pools and dining, the walk only takes a few minutes and the views of the ocean were stunning!
The room was clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were comfy but would have prefered a true king as opposed to two beds pushed together. Housekeeping did a great job of keeping everything tidy and clean even though we were tracking in tons of sand daily from our time spent on the beach. Everyday we had fresh flowers in the bathroom, on the tables and tucked in the curtains. We were sure to tip housekeeping generously every day as they certainly deserved it with the service provided. I will say however that details like wrinkled bed coverings, worn sheets, faded painting on the walls and toilet paper holders fixed with sheetrock screws are the details that make this less than 5 stars.
The grounds at the resort are beautiful, well maintained and lush. Take the time to enjoy the path that connects the 3 properties, it is a great way to enjoy the ocean and the grounds. The pools were always clean and we always found a place in the sun and shade to sit. The beach likewise was clean with plenty of lounge chairs and ample shade or sun. This is a great beach for snorkling with a coral reef running along the beach only knee deep out with a great variety of colorful and interesting fish that will swim right up to you. We found watershoes were much better than flippers and you have to be very aware of the sea pincushions!
The buffet had a good variety of foods and we never went hungry but it is very repetitive and we were tired of the food by week's end. 2 folks in our group had tummy troubles during the week so do be careful how many new foods you try until you know your tummy can handle it. Waiters were quick to wisk away empty plates and refill drinks. Noticed some waiters even decorated their tables with flowers and napkin decorations. We were sure to tip and our waiter watched for us each night and found us a place to sit in his section but some extra touches would have been nice. Enjoyed the food and service in both the Italian and Steakhouse resteraunts.
Overall we enjoyed our trip and the resort. Attention to detail and the fact that staff personalities are hit or miss are what make this only a 3 star resort. Glad we went but probably wouldn't return as the resort just was missing the WOW factor for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, lastminute.com.au, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata