“Not a horrible place but could do better”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Not a horrible place but could do better”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I travelled with a friend from February 13th-20th. We were 23 & 25 yrs old and we're just going for a good time & a great tan. We arrived to the hotel around 1-1:30. The line up for the check in was quite long because there were quite a few guests. They only had one receptionist at the time. She was doing a really good job and she was pleasant but it took quite a while. We then had to wait until 3pm to get our room. It wasn't a big deal because we were able to leave our luggage at the front and go off into the resort. It was raining on our arrival, so we were upset about that but that was certainly not the fault of the hotel. The entertainment stage was inside which is good for rainy evenings. They also had an "arcade" which consisted of 2 pool tables & 2 fooseball tables & 2 computers (each room got 1 free hour of internet per week). This kept us entertained for a little while but can get boring easily when it rains for more than a day. The entertainment staff were beyond amazing! I just wish they had more games throughout the day because they are very fun to play & watch, but they already work so hard. There were a lot of older people at the resort during our stay until towards the end when about 20 younger (about 18-20 yrs old) showed up, which I was assuming due to reading week. Some of the older guests should have been on Grandma's gone wild for sure..they could still have fun! The food at the buffet was edible...the made to order omelets were good but they always had the same stuff to put in them (corn?, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, ham & sometimes cheese), and the rest of the buffet was always the same for breakfast. There wasn't much variety for the lunch or dinner either. My friend & I ate bread, potatoes & pasta every single day. We are both pretty picky and were too scared to attempt the other stuff. Thankfully, about a 5 minute walk from the hotel is the playa dorada mall that includes a Pizza Hut. We got a large stuffed-crust pepperoni (we were told the hawaiin wasn't that great) & 2 pepsi's for $23 US. We took the leftover pizza back to our room. Somebody else that was there did the same thing the day before & the maid threw it out when she cleaned the room so I wrote a note that said " No Touch Gracias" and she left it in the fridge. There was one more restaurant that I had noticed at the mall called Hemmingway's Bar & Grill. It was more of a sports bar feeling, so good for your man to sneak away to watch the game he just can't miss. I'm not too sure on the prices or food quality but we always saw people there so it couldn't have been that bad. We only had the chance to do 1 a la carte and we chose Michael Angelo's (italian). The service was good, the bread fantastic of course. They ran out of the canelonni & the meat lasagna before we ordered, so we both had the chicken. My friend had the tomatoe & basil soup and said it was delicious. The chicken had an amazing presentation and was quite tasty. It was drizzled with a tomatoe-like sauce with a side of mashed potatoes garnished with 2 pieces of broccoli & a carrot. We mostly lounged at the pool and were able to get chairs at 9:30-10am no problem until the last couple of days when a lot more people showed up it seemed. We were able to get a couple of lounge chairs one afternoon at the beach. Oddly enough, we found it hotter at the beach then we did at the pool. A lot of people got up early to claim there chairs, which I found was fine BUT I noticed a ton of them not being used for almost the entire day which I think is unfair but that's just greedy people and that will never change. All in all, we did have a good time. I would go back if it was no more than $800 fror the week but not sure if I would pay more than that. The staff are really good and friendly as long as you treat them the same way but the hotel needs some upgrading & the food needs to step it up a bit.

Room Tip: If you don't like to climb stairs, stay away from the junior suites. They are on the top floor...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank CMR686

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel from February 9 to 16 2012. First thing we heard on arrival was that half people were sick on site.I catched a barman drinking directtly from a full gallon of lemonade(mix for customer drinks) and saw waiters at the washrooms getting out without washing their hands.One day they are asking you to wash your hands before entering the buffet space, the oher day, nobody seems to care. Everybody is responsible for their hygiene but there has to be a point of control.Food was ok, rooms were clean and staff was great. My wife and is friend got offered a dominican boyfriend for the night by a member of the staff so i guess there is legal male prostitution on site. Finaly, got really sick Tuesday and still am. In resume, go there only if you are ready to play you vacations to heads or tails.

Marc

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Marc B

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here February 2nd-9th 2012. I'd say 95% of the bad reviews on here are unfortunately true.

We obviously we're not expecting a 5 star resort for $800 each taxes in, but I honesty would not go back even if someone offered me a free trip.

Had a hard time relaxing on the beach, vendors we're such a nuisance(even with my headphones on), food selection was minimal (ate rice and potato all week) and the hotel staff we're generally rude and unhelpful.

No hot (or warm) water to shower with for 3 days.
My first time on vacation that I DIDN'T use to the pool, its disgusting and needs repair!

Ocean water was somewhat clear, but the reef is dead due to the pollution. We didnt see much in terms of wildlife or fish.

The best excursion was the waterfall jumping. Not for the faint of heart, but the best part of our vacation to Puerto Plata.

Make sure your wristband is attached properly when they put them on you!
My husband's wristband fell off the day after we arrived and you must pay $25 USD for a new one. I think its just a scam, cause you usually have to cut the thing off to get it off.

When taking the packed bus to the airport to go home, there was a raise of hands on who got sick. Over 70%! Thats just not right.

Overall, I would stay away and spend your money somewhere else.

TIP: Free WIFI at the plaza which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel entrance.
Best breakfast and lunch service provided by Eduardo (happy happy!) at the Hibiscus buffet. He was the only one to go out of this way to make sure you didnt need to lift a finger.

Room Tip: We said on the main floor in buiding 14 with ocean view, paying the extra 25 bucks each was worth it...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JetSetKrys
MILLER LAKE
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were there from feb 14 to the 18 leaving 3 days early at extra cost of 500 dollars. My wife was sick and so was half of the guests at this resort. We couldn't figure out if it was the bad food, or an airborne virus. On our second day they started demanding that everyone wash their hands before entering the buffet, which isn't a bad thing, but if they knew there was a problem, they should have been vigilant in trying to get rid of the 'germs'. There was an awful smell coming from the buffet. The beer was horrid, they don't serve Presidente anymore, just Brauma, we talked to a worker at the hotel, and he said that even the locals don't drink that stuff. Could not have gotten out of their quicker. Will never be back!

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony517
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Grand Paradise. Hotel was advertised as a 4 star resort, I found it was more a 2-3 star. I have travelled extensively around the Caribbean over the last 30 years. My first impression as I walked in the lobby... "What a shabby tired looking room" Rooms were clean. Food was insipid and of poor quality, even the 2 a la carte restaurants. Service was slow in buffet with long line ups every evening. Had food poisoning for the last 4 days of my trip. Beach was lovely but no beach service, umbrellas or cabanas. Entertainment was poor. Domestic drinks of cheapest quality.
Certainly would not reccomend this resort and would not be returning to this "no frills" hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo