“The best steak I have had... probably”
Review of Casa Olivier

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa Olivier
Ranked #337 of 740 Restaurants in Santo Domingo
Cuisines: Caribbean, Spanish
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I went to The Dominican Republic in January with my two siblings for a vacation and only stumbled upon this place because another place we wanted to go to was closed. My brother who also works in the kitchen at a restaurant commented that the place looked very clean and nice which is why we headed back and went in. No expectations at all, but wow were we surprised. It seems to be a couple running the restaurant with the husband in the kitchen and the wife out on the floor. No english at all so we had to communicate in my broken spanish which went ok. The ingredients are fresh, local and bought at the market the same morning. They will recommend something if you ask. Wonderful pasta with truffle oil, pork loin and churrasco. Desserts are ok but the they are stronger in the savoury part in my opinion. The steak I had was so good that I was contemplating getting another... which I did and I do not regret doing it. I have had many delicious steaks but the moment my teeth sank into this one I could seriously not remember ever having a better one. It simply washed away my memory of any other steaks.

The place is very reasonably priced and you get a lot of value for your money. Atmosphere in the restaurant is with a very nice and homey feel to it. When visiting the Caribbean islands one must have some patience in the restaurant area because the pace there simply just is slower than what one might be used to. Just relax and enjoy the moment because there is not a lot you can do about it. If you start stressing about it it will just create more frown lines.

Date of visit: January 2013

Reviewed 11 June 2013

we were lead to this place by a guy on the street (who did not work for the restaurant), more than a little surprised with what we found inside. The menu is very reasonable compared to a couple of other places we looked in...the staff, although they didn't speak english, were fantastic & very accommodating. We had a number of the Tapas, then a main dish for me....without a doubt THE BEST MASHED POTATOES (other than my own) i have EVER tasted...i think grandma is cooking in the kitchen.....

Date of visit: May 2013
1  Thank bubba622
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We were invited by a resident to go here for a drink after an art opening. The place had a homey feel and the prices were so much more reasonable than the other restaurants in the zone. We lucked out! The chef is a young man trained at the culinary institute in Santo Domingo. Everything was prepared from scratch with the freshest ingredients. We wanted fish for one meal and the chef went to the fish market that morning to get us the freshest local fish which he prepared perfectly.
The house made fresh pasta with truffle oil was delicious. On one occasion we met the charming owner. Only thing that keeps this from 5 stars is the service which is very slow.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We would not have found this restaurant if a local man had not stopped us to ask if we needed help finding something. When we said we were hungry, he said he knew of a place that had good food and wasn't too expensive. We followed him and went in to enjoy a wonderful meal. The menu had many options. We chose a fresh fish and a pork tenderloin. Both were cooked perfectly. It was ala carte so you can choose from things like grilled vegetables or potatoes to complete the meal. We noticed that it was buy one get one free on margaritas the night we were there (Tuesday) so decided to have one. It was prepared from scratch and shaken with ice but served strained. It might have been the best margarita I ever had (and I've had more than a few!) The service was excellent but at a relaxed pace. When we said that we had tickets to a concert and needed to go, we got the check and paid up immediately. Wonderful little restaurant and "hidden" just a few blocks South of Calle Conde on Calle Hostos.

Date of visit: February 2013
1  Thank Deanna-Holger
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I went there the last time I was in Santo Domingo in October and I loved it. Doña Maritza, the owner, is an amazing host. The decor is pretty and very colonial and you feel like home . The food is simple and full of flavor. I had tapas with a very cold local beer! It was a perfect moment!
I really recommend this place. Is a great spot for you to feel part of the colonial part of Santo Domingo. Oh and don't miss out their happy hours!.

Date of visit: October 2012