“Like it is..”

Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Brooklyn, New York
“Like it is..”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed here 5 times and am booked for another stay next week. The thick and thin of it is as such; anyone who runs a business knows that it is not easy to find good, reliable help. It is perpetually moving process. Meaning; you might run into a rotten apple, but that is not the end of the line. I came upon a rotten clerk during one of my stays. He wasn't accommodating at all. I went around him, like the piece of 'worthless' garbage he is, to a fellow named felipe, who not only more than made up for the others shortcomings, but made my whole experience worth coming back many times afterwards.
The rooms in this hotel are awesome. The beds are VERY comfortable, I think they are called pillow top. The showers are AMAZING!! they even provide you with the soap and shampoo in dispensers (not the little bottles). The buffet is phenomenal. They even offer lox and creamcheese. Service is excellent. Everything you would expect from an establishment being managed as though they care what this review will sound like. I would call it above and even beyond American standards. I stay there with my wife and baby. Alone, I can stay anywhere where it is clean, air conditioned and has hot water.. but as you may imagine, I need something very clean and reliable to bring my baby to. I can not think of any better place in Santo Domingo in this price range..and I have tried. I am in Santo Domingo on a monthly basis.
In terms of tourists, The area is perfectly fine for tourists. You are within walking distance to the arts, a taxi ride to the historic zone with shopping, fine dining and night life (Zona Colonial/Conde). You have more fine dining spots up the road on Roberto Pastoriza. Plenty of discos and nightclubs, for those interested..even some American style lounges (they call them coffeebars), Go straight down and you're on Malecon. It is better to have a rented car, of course..and even more so if you actually know where you're going, but that is something easily resolvable, even with folks at the hotel.
Overall, I am an avid traveler to this country (every month for several years now) I have been around as very few have. I am not a Spanish speaking native (I am Russian). The only thing better you might find is the Hilton at 3X the cost. I recommend this hotel VERY HIGHLY.

The ONLY (somewhat, at least for me) downside; They give you a refrigerator...which is packed to the teeth with things that if you consume them, you bought them. That's fine but it takes away the space I would want for my own things. My simple solution is take everything of theirs out,

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank IgorKogut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Whenever you go to the Dominican Republic and purchase anything cash, MAKE SURE YOU ARE GIVEN A RECEIPT. When I arrived at the resort for my first time to check-in the clerk charged me $238 for my two night stay but he never gave me a receipt but I never thought of it at the time however when it was time for me to check the clerk asked me if I wanted to pay by credit or cash and I explained to him that i paid by cash when I checked in a day earlier and he told me that there wasn't any receipt or record of my payment and in fact showed my a document show $238 was still due. He later told me there would be an investigation but put a hold of $238 on my card. I called the next day to find out the status and they explained to me they are going to call me back. When I got back to my country I called again and someone finally helped me a little bit, I explained what happened and also requested a review of review the cameras. I got a call back and was told that they didn't find any record of my payment and said they are going to review the cameras and needed a couple photos of me for verification by email ,well I'm still waiting on a status. Other than that everything was fine but I speak Spanish,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo for just a night before heading elsewhere in the DR. Our primary reason for choosing it was its proximity to the Caribe Tours bus terminal, which is about a 10-15 minute walk or $5 cab ride. The location of the Barcelo for other purposes? I don't know - it's certainly not near the Colonial Zone or Malecon, but there appears to be a lot of local activity nearby (government, university), and the hotel was also hosting a business conference while we were there. In short, it's not really a hotel for tourists, but if you find yourself there as a tourist you'll still appreciate the amenities.

Rooms are clean but not spotless - we had a few stains here and there on the carpet and wall, but they seemed to be from age and not necessarily neglect or something worse. The bathroom, meanwhile, appeared to be recently renovated and was really nice. We also had a flat-screen TV, probably 30 inches with plenty of channels. One nice feature to our room was a large window that opened (no screen!) out to the city for a great view. Internet is $10/day or $2/hour, and the rooms do have mini-bars that charge by the item.

We arrived too late to use the pool (closes at 6:00 PM), but it looked fantastic, and there was a nice fitness center attached as well. The hotel also has a casino which we didn't visit and a "piano bar" which we didn't stay in because it just was not the vibe we expected.

Probably the highlight, other than a comfortable night's sleep and pleasant service, was the breakfast buffet. It is definitely worth including as part of your reservation - all you can eat and lots of variety, from breads to cereal, eggs, potatoes, and lots and lots of fruit. Based on what we had at other places in the DR, this was a rare treat.

All in all the Barcelo is probably excellent for business purposes or general one-night stays in transit, but I would not recommend it for tourists visiting Santo Domingo and hoping to walk to the Colonial Zone or the Malecon, simply because there are plenty of nice and similarly-priced accommodations in those areas.

Room Tip: Floors 8 & 9 are club level
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This hotel was great in every respect - helpful staff, good food, good pool, and great shower. I have experienced low water pressure and lack of hot water in a few places in the DR, but no problem here. In fairness, I guess I should say the problem places have been the resorts where I guess they think you don't always expect hot water, not the business hotels. This is a business hotel and it works in every respect. Better than the Melia where I stayed last time.

Although everything about this place is good, my favorite thing was the shower. I nominate it for best shower in the Carribean. : ) Nice marble floor, excellent glass enclosure, great rain shower head, lots of hot water, and great water pressure.

The only minor annoyance of staying here is that taxi drivers when they pick you up here or hear this is where you're going charge you more. You can negotiate, though, if you want I suppose.

This hotel is located on a busy street, so walking is a little challenging, but they do have awesome elevated walkways across the nearby intersection to get you safely away from the traffic. Quite interesting. I had to walk to the nearby Banco Popluar a couple times, no problem. Took a taxi to an office and and shopping. The taxi drivers all know this hotel as the Lina still, I think it was named this years ago before it was a Barcelo - I think another reviewer below talks about this. Every time you say Barcelo to a taxi driver, they say Lina.

Anyhow, great hotel. Great service and three day stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pdxrain
Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2012

A few years ago, I stayed at this hotel (then known as the Barcelo Lina) and it was “just another rundown Caribbean hotel.” Not anymore! It appears to have been totally renovated.

The lobby is contemporary and clean looking (used to be dark and tired looking). The room was good size with a VERY comfortable king-size bed. A wall-mounted flat screen tv has lots of channels, some of them in English. The bathroom is large and beautifully appointed with a great shower (no tub and variable water temp). There is a small fridge and also an in-room safe. All-in-all… very comfy. Downside to the room: it is very noisy with sounds of the street (apparently no double glazing).

The problems are with the service (specifically, housekeeping). Check-in was “at 3pm”; we arrived at 4:15pm… and they weren’t sure the room was ready… so there was a brief wait (15 minutes) while the front desk kept trying to raise housekeeping on the radio. Once in the room, we noticed there were only 2 bath towels (no hand towels, no facecloths). We called down to the front desk and asked for 1 more bath towel, 2 hand towels, and 2 face cloths. They assured us they would be delivered. An hour later, still no towels so we called housekeeping and renewed our request. Approximately 30 minutes later, someone appeared at the door with 2 bath towels. We explained that we needed smaller towels, specifically hand towels and facecloths. They went away and returned some time later with 1 facecloth. Rather than continue to press our request, we just thanked them.

The next day, we removed the “do not disturb” sign from our door at approximately noon (assuming that housekeeping would makeup the room). At 5:30pm, just as we gave up hope, housekeeping knocked on the door. I asked her to wait just a moment while my husband was changing. When I opened the door again, a couple minutes later she was gone… halfway down the hall. My husband called her back. She looked very “put out” so I said, it would be enough to just change the towels as opposed to making up the room. She removed our 4 bath towels and gave us 2. My husband explained that we needed the 4. She said we were only allowed 2. My husband argued with her until she gave him 2 more towels and 2 hand towels. He asked about replacing the face cloth and she said “there are no more.” More arguing. She left and then finally returned about 45 minutes later with a face cloth. Finally, she said that our room would not be “done” unless we put the correct hangtag on the door (which begs the question of why she knocked on the door at 5:30pm). We never DID have the room serviced during our 3 day stay.

As for dining, it is average or slightly below. There is a buffet for breakfast (best food option), lunch and dinner as well as an ala carte menu. The breakfast buffet has a lot of selection, including crepes which they will fill with chocolate (they ran out of chocolate and didn’t seem to know where to get more.) They also have a pancake station, a fresh fruit smoothie station, and an omelet station. The lunch buffet did not seem very appealing; I tried to order shrimp from the ala carte menu but they were “out of shrimp.” The dinner buffet was a bit more appealing (I had chicken in garlic sauce that was “okay” and my husband had some sort of meat (we are still debating “what kind of meat”; they said it was pork but it was for sure NOT…) A better option for dinner is to order the “gourmet chicken” from the ala carte menu with choice of sauces and “sides.” (More tender and tastier than buffet options… and more affordable.) Approx. $10 vs $22 for the buffet.

Another problem at the hotel (which may be a Santo Domingo problem) was the “power cuts”. Several times, I would be working in the room on the computer and the power (lights, etc.) would go off…. Anywhere from a few minutes to several minutes. Not good for the computer and also rather annoying.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business