Plaza Hotel Curacao
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
E M City Hotel(Willemstad)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We've spent 2 nights mid January 2012 at the plaza hotel & casino in Willemstad. The hotel has an excellent location and our view from room 318 was great, over the swimming pool and sea. The hotel lobby looks nice and exotic (with a few mosquitoes).
The bed was large and comfortable.
That's all the positive i can say.
On the negative side: our room was worn terribly, things falling off, the door key/lock is a joke (almost falling out of the door), things are growing in the bathroom, the fake ceiling elements are damaged and falling out, the window is not possible to open and very very dirty, etc etc.
And the staff downstairs though nice to talk to, is very busy, usually there was only one person at the desk so ...trankilo, trankilo.
The whole thing is just very outdated and worn. Could be made into an excellent 4-star place with some investment... but at this moment it's like a cheap roadside motel.

Room Tip: think whether sea view is more important, or to get a room in good shape. (If there are ANY in good shape - 318 was not.)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I recently travele to Curacao with my family for Thanksgiving holiday and can safely say that I have never stayed in a hotel that I was more dissatisfied with than the Curaco Plaza Hotel and Casino. This is due in large part to the laziness and poor attitude of the staff. When we arrived, it took an extremely long amount of time to check in and I was also asked to pay for the room up front as opposed to when I checked out of the hotel. The attitude of the staff was the most ridiculous display of customer service that I have ever witnessed. I realize that things move a little slower on the island than in the U.S. but every issue that we had with the hotel was handled with a terrible attitude. We arrived on our floor and it appeared to still be almost completely under construction. The walls were open and exposed leaving wires and drywall exposed as well. Our room ( which was not the model we paid for) was left open by the cleaning staff whom had never finished cleaning prior to our arrival. After a long flight, my fellow travelers and I were ready to relax, instead I had to inquire with the front desk as to why the room wasn't neat and clean before we arrived. Once again, I was met with a poor attitude at the front desk and a poorer attitude by the housekeeper who begrudingly walked up to our room ( in flip flops) to put the pillow cases on our beds and clean the bathroom.
It was one thing after another from check-in to check-out a few days later. The only staff members that I found to do a great job were the bartenders. I wanted to speak with the manager on staff only to learn that the general manager wasn't ever on site. I would have expected more from this hotel based on the reviews I had read but it was a gross dissappointment.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jennifer B
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

Dear Jennifer B,

I am dissapointed that we let you and your family down while here in Curacao. It seems that some of our staff did not perform as expected and for this I am very sorry.

It also seems that from your comments, some of our staff did a great job and we are happy to hear this.

I am happy to inform you that since your stay, we have hired a new General Manager. He started on December 1 and has already had a positive impact on our service standards.

In regard to your seeing areas under construction, this is correct since we were renovating both guest rooms and hallways in the area of your guest room. While this is unfortunate, some projects take days to complete yet they must be accomplished.

Nonetheless, we regret that we let you down and should you be back in Curacao, we would love for you to stay with us again. This way you will be able to post a new review showing our improved service and accommodations.

Thanks for helping us raise our standards.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Enjoy the room and the dinning. The fort is interest as it is an old historical site. The location to shopping and the flea market was perfect. Swam and went diving off the shoreline at the hotel. The water was perfect temperature, bottom sand at the waters edge, the coral beautiful. There are plenty of beautiful fish.

Room Tip: I personally perfer a roon with a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stormduck
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Dear Stormduck,

I am glad that you had a "GREAT STAY" with us at the Curacao Plaza Hotel and that you enjoyed the room and our dining. This is always wonderful to read on TripAdvisor!

You are so right, the Waterfort Fort is stunning and our location to great duty free shopping and the markets are PERFECT!

Anyway, thanks for staying with us and telling the world about your GREAT STAY at the Curacao Plaza Hotel.

Come back soon!

Reviewed 4 November 2011

the hotel is in the middle of the "city" and the city is not noisy. Ask for the low rise with a balcony. We paid $130 plus plus which was a reasonable price for what you get.
Wifi and multi channel tv was included. The rooms are clean but tired. They should invest in better pillows.
The staff were accommodating but not overjoyed to see you.
Yes there are moskitos by the pool in the reception but heh, welcome to the tropics.

There is no information in the room of what's available so we didn't eat, use the pool or the bar.

Anyway it's far better drinking and eating by the pontoon bridge watching the world and it's wife go by.

We've been in a lot worse for more money- just don't expect 5 star

Room Tip: when booking ask for the low rise
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 530peterchristine530

Dear 530Peterchristine530,

Thanks for staying with us at the Curacao Plaza Hotel and posting your review on TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing from our guests.

I am glad that you found our location GREAT, our staff “ACCOMMODATING" and our rooms "CLEAN". I realize that while you enjoyed your stay, we can still work a little harder to make your next visit PERFECT!

We believe the Plaza Hotel to be a perfect 3 STAR property and try to convey this to our guests. Some guests seek a 5 Star experience and unfortunately, we are not suited to meet their needs. Then again, our prices reflect those of a 3 STAR HOTEL and everyone seems to enjoy the great value the Plaza offers!!

Anyway, we appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 4 October 2011

the entire family loved the plaza...Could not have asked for a better location, walking distance from everything there is to visit...Rooms were clean and the staff was always helpful...
Will not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Terrychicago
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Plaza Hotel Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

It's always great to read nice reviews about the Curacao Plaza Hotel on TripAdvisor and to see that we have served our guests well. We are constantly working to exceed our guests’ expectations and it looks like we did a good job for your family!.

We really appreciate your trust, business and kind words.

Thank you.