“Wonderful Resort!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“Wonderful Resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We arrived at the Laguna Azul on the 23rd of May and were there until the 30th. This was my husbands and my first trip to Cuba. We went with our besties and thoroughly enjoyed the entire week!
Check in was a breeze! We were greeted with a non alcoholic cocktail upon arrival and were told that as the resort was at full capacity at the time, our friends' room was not quite ready but ours was. We just went to ours and got changed to head to the pool.
Yes our room was a little musty but considering the humidity, it was not bad at all. Fan in the room worked a little slowly but the air conditioner kept it quite comfortable. I did find the sheets a little damp but again, humidity.
People have been saying on here about not having their towels changed or mini bar stocked, but when we read the literature on the bathroom sink and the tv stand it told you the bar is stocked every 2 days and if you would like fresh towels to throw the soiled ones in the tub and they would replace them. We had no problem with this and our maid Luisa kept our room lovely and clean and left us towel and bedspread art, and lovely notes every day.
Our balcony was lovely, nice view of the pool and surrounding areas and the gardener in our section spoiled my friend and I every day with flowers, hats, and corsages!!
The best coffee in the resort is at the lobby bar, very tasty and they also make a mean iced coffee with Baileys!!! The lobby bar also has a pianist at night and local acoustic bands come in to play for the patrons. This was definitely a highlight for us as music lovers.
We did not encounter one unpleasant staff member, everyone was more than willing to look after us. At the pool bar Jousue (I'm not sure I spelled that correctly), Fidel, Barbarita and Jenny were awesome!! We kept joking we wanted to take Jenny and Barbarita home with us, they were so sweet. Leyder, we met at the beach bar and then at one of the snack bars later on. He was a hoot and very friendly! Edourdo is a lifeguard at the beach and a lovely man, very pleasant and informative.
Wonderful music every night, fun by the pool during the day.
We went to 3 a la carte resaurants, Del Chef (fish was lovely), the Romantico (not much atmosphere and very warm in there, but a very tasty lobster salad), and the Japanese (which was a highlight for us all, very fun and entertaining and the food was excellent!!)
The buffet was good, none of us had any trouble finding anything to eat. None of us are fussy and like to try new things, so it was a great adventure. We also did not find things as bland as some. The breakfasts were great very hot and tasty!
We went on 2 excursions, the Jeep Safari, which was a ball of fun (highly recommend) and the Catamaran with the Dolphinarium. The Catamaran part of the trip was wonderful, entertaining and relaxing, with snorkeling and a trip to Cayo Blanco, but I would not do the Dolphinarium again. Seeing and petting the dolphins was something I have been waiting to do for years and it was a huge disappointment. We were not allowed to touch the dolphins, the trainer kept them up front with her and you got to swim up, get your picture taken with them, pet their bellies and then get out of the water. If I did something like this again it would not be there. We didn't even get to see the dolphin show they put on. (this has nothing to do with the resort, this was the fault of the airline we booked the excursion through)
I have seen things on here about the exchange rate at the resort being not good, we had money changed at the airport and at the resort and the difference was only 5 cents Canadian more we received at the airport. I say change it at the resort, much more convenient.
All in all it was a beautiful vacation, we met wonderful people, ate good food, drank tasty (strong lol) drinks and enjoyed ourselves thouroughly.
Thank you so much to the staff of the Laguna Azul for making our vacation and first trip to Cuba so special!!

Room Tip: We were in room 11201, building 11, it was very quiet and had a lovely view of the pool.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank TGL2
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients. Should you choose our hotel, or some other Iberostar Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,231)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed at the ILA from May 21 - 28th with our 2 teens. We booked a suite and a standard room and emailed in advance to be in a quiet building (hopefully buidling 20) and have adjoining rooms. We arrived around 11:30am and were put in buidling 10. We could not have adjoining rooms and at first they were on different floors. They changed it so they could be on the same floor and the standard room was ready. We brought all of our luggage to their room and changed to enjoy the resort. The room faced the Rui so did not have a nice view. It had two twin beds and looked fine - no smell or mustiness. We were told to come back at three to get the room keys to the suite. At 3:00 the room was still not ready so was told 4:00pm. We returned at 4:00 to be told 5:00pm as they had allowed the honeymooners to stay late in the room. So we didn't get our room until about 5:30 and the floors were wet from being just washed. The suite was worth the wait it was fabulous and overlooked the ocean. Huge washroom along with a king bed, large living area with a table and four chairs and a powder room. Room air conditioning was cold and everything was great. Water, beer and pop in both fridges. We left a note for more water on day 3 which we received. Our fridges and our teens fridges were never restocked so perhaps if we had asked it would have been. First night our teens said that the airconditioning didn't seem to work well and the fan knob was broken and made a terrible noise all night long - with no switch to be able to turn it off. It was fixed the next day but the air conditioning never worked very well all week. One of their beds was broken, the sliding patio door did not lock, and the tv remote did not work. They didn't seem to care much however, I would have been upset to have their room. Their backroom was in good working order.

The resort was at full capacity but did not seem overly busy. Even though it is a large resort it is easy to get around and is very beautiful. Lots of loungers (no cushions though!) at the beach - which my husband would reserve early as he is a early riser. He really enjoyed the coffee at the beach restaurant. Beach is clean and water was warm. Great drinks too at the beach. Bring your thermos cups!

Pools were plenty with lots of activity. Beautiful and clean and lots of people were enjoying the pools.

We ate lunch everyday at the beach restaurant and had made to order pasta or pizza or a salad (without lettuce). Great slushy lemonade. Breakfast were at the main restaurant - outside on the patio as I found it very loud inside. All very good - but a bit of a wait for made to order foods. Food is very subjective - I found it good but not great. You will not starve. Lots of lovely cheeses and choices for everyone. No one should have to eat bread all week.

Went to the Italian - our favourite - had mushroom risotto and the swordfish. Both excellent. Japanese was entertaining and fun but the actual meal was not good - way too much soya sauce. Romantic was good - had an excellent lobster salad. Duck was a little tough but a good meal in a lovely setting. Had emailed in advance and received exactly times requested!

Entertainment was interesting. Magic show was excellent and we went to most shows. Some better than others. Found some of it - such as the full monty skit a little inappropriate for a family resort with lots of young children in attendance. Other shows such as the Micheal Jackson act were excellent. Lilly of the star friends is a huge asset to the resort and never seems to stop! However if I hear "hey, hey baby" one more time - I think they only have 4 songs on their play list....someone please bring down a i-pod with some more songs for them!

Our teens loved the shows, disco and meeting new friends from all over. We also enjoyed this resort as it catered it everyone. Lots to do - good food, great drinks, nice rooms and lots of nice people.

We would return to the ILA in the future. Was it perfect? No. But it was a good value and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Email in advance to request room and make reservations for dinners
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jlpellizzari
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear "Beach026"

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Laguna Azul for your so valuable vacations.

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.

Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife, two year old daughter and myself were at the Laguna Azul between May 24 - May 31.
Good:
Very nice main entrance and lobby.
The grounds and swimming pool areas were very nice and well kept.
Very nice beach.
Grilled fresh shrimp& fish, seafood soup and pizza at the buffett was very good.
Made to order egg omelettes at breakfast was very good.
Ice cream and desserts were good.
Cuban beer.
Italian restaurant was okay.
Most of the buffett and housekeeping staff were friendly.
Nightly entertainment at the theatre and in the lobby was good.
The resort has an on site doctor everyday but Sundays.
The Bad:
Our initial room had a very musty smell and the ceilling fan did not work. They moved us to a different room on the second day which smelled a little better. Keep the air conditioner and ceiling fan on even if you are not in the room to limit the musty smell.
The shower faucets in both rooms had a lot of stains and did not function properly.
Toilet did not always flush properly.
Some unfriendly staff at the front desk.
Most of the food at the buffett restaurant was repetitive and not very good.
Some of the ready made food at the buffett were not kept at proper tempertures.
The food at the Japanese restaurant was very bad.
Very few high chairs at the various restaurants. The high chairs were also very dirty. This likely made our daughter and several other infants sick (bring wipes to clean if you need a high chair). Some high chairs were also missing the harness
Two of the four elevators in our wing of the building did not work the entire week.
Hallways on serveral floors were flooded after overnight rain. It was not cleaned until late morning after a call to the front desk.
Friends in another room had a television that did not work. It was not fixed or replaced the entire week even after daily complaints.
Bad exchange rate at the resort. Get your Cuban Peso at the airport.
Overall the Azul was okay. I likely will not go back and would not recommend this resort if you are taking children under four years of age.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ttbay
Dear "ttbay"

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing an Iberostar resort for your holyday.

We apologize for all of the inconveniences you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

We sincerely thank you for your comments. Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make Iberostar Laguna Azul a better choice for our clients.

Best Regards

Management.
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Iberostar Laguna Azul from April 29th to May 7th.
I’d like to begin by saying that we are not picky people who enjoy criticizing every little thing, however there are definitely things worth mentioning to those of you who are considering vacationing here.
1.Service- I found the service here to be good, not great. I found many of the front desk staff to be rude, and not overly willing to assist you. On more than one occasion I received one word answers served with a frown. The counter is shaped as a “L” with one side serving as “check-In” and the other as “money exchange”. Be prepared to wait in line if you have any simple questions for them…only to be told “I don’t know, check with that side”… I found this to be extremely rude, after waiting in line for 10 minutes just to get to the counter to ask a question I was told to go wait in another line to ask the same question when they could have easily walked the 5 steps over and found out for me… Maybe that’s just me though. I can’t say I received the same service all over the resort though; Ahmed in the buffet is well worth mentioning! He was by far the best staff member we came across, he was right on the ball with the service. When he seen us coming for supper he’d have a table ready with our wine and orange pop! Lol Also, our maid Sonia was awesome! She left us amazing towel art every day stocked our fridge well, gave us new towels when requested and left us nice notes. The waitresses in the lobby bar were on the ball, always making sure you had a drink in your hand.
2.The Rooms- Our room was absolutely beautiful, we had a partial ocean view without requesting it. I had requested to be on the top floor in a quiet building with a king size bed and all of those requests were met. The bathroom was a great size, huge tub, great water pressure, and very clean. There was a slight smell of must in the room, I do have asthma and allergies and am more sensitive to those smells than most and it wasn’t really bothersome to me, I just left the patio door open at night to air it out. The air conditioner wasn’t fantastic but it did the job, the TV worked well, the bed was semi-comfortable. It was pretty hard but not too bad, I will say I’ve read other peoples reviews about the sheets feeling wet and I would defiantly agree with this, the sheets felt damp almost every night. I mean I did kind of expect this because of the humidity so no big deal, but worth mentioning.
3.Hotel Facilities- The gardens are beautiful and well taken care of, the pools are clean and there are lots of lounge chairs to lie out on. The interior of the hotel was spotless, the lobby bar was awesome, and we spent many nights just listening to the pianist play songs, at your request as well. The lobby terrace was gorgeous at night! We didn’t have any issues with obtaining a towel from the towel hut, we also didn’t have to get one every day because we brought our own. The beach was amazing, very clean, there were a few vendors walking up and down the beach but unless they were waived up by someone wanting to buy something they wouldn’t bother you at all! There were a ton of loungers on the beach and the beach bar had great service!
4.Food- Last but not least… Okay so here’s the deal is the food edible. Yes most definitely! Is the food exceptional, definitely not. I get that everyone has different tastes and different perceptions on quality of food so I guess its personal preference. The main buffet was good and bad depending on the night, there was always fresh fish and different seafood selections, there was a large amount of salad items, vegetables, and different items each night at the “roast” station where I tried the roast beef and that was delicious! And that’s saying something coming from me because I don’t’ eat a lot of meat and that was probably one of the best things I ate there. Breakfast was absolutely no problem; there was a large selection of eggs, beacon, cereal, bread (amazing), jams, pancakes, omelets (delish) and fruit. Lunch at the beach buffet was okay, there were salad items, hotdogs and hamburgers and a few other picky type items which was enough for us just to have a snack and head back to the beach. I’m still not sure if there was a “beach grill” we didn’t see one so I’m not sure but I would have enjoyed a grilled chicken breast at any point…lol The Main buffet was as I said just okay, everything seems fine for the first few days and then you just start to get sick of it, which I mean can happen here at home too. So it’s really as I said preference, there were more than enough choices. We only went to two of the a la carte restaurants, the Romantico and the Italian. The Romantico was surprisingly good, we had the smoked salmon and crab for a starter which was delicious! And we had the Canadian beef sirloin, which was again great! The Italian was horrible; we both had the fettuccini Alfredo which was jarred sauce and just gross! The desert however was great, we had the tiramisu and it was surprisingly the best desert we had in Cuba.
Other:
5.The 24 hour snack bar is a disgusting little hell hole with rude service! The “chef” if that’s what you want to call him was completely ignorant. The first night we were there we had gotten in around 11pm so we were hungry and we popped down there to grab a sandwich, he made us a “grilled” cheese only it wasn’t grilled just warmed up bread…yum, not! Another day we popped down there between lunch and supper to grab a snack and him and another hotel member were talking and looking at a phone and when I asked to have something made they said they were “closed” right now, I thought it was 24 hours…just saying. And the last time I went he pretended he didn’t know English and therefore couldn’t understand what I wanted….nice.
6.Unprofessionalism- The male servers at the beach buffet, not all but there were definitely a few who were abruptly starting at female vacationers. I got it a few times and I just made a face or whatever but they really had the nerve to do it right in front of boyfriends and what have you. And I know their male and going to check out girls but this was full on ignorant, disrespectful gawking and I find that type of behavior unacceptable.
7.Our last day- We checked out of our room at 12pm and left our begs in the secured room for storage seeing as our hotel pick up wasn’t until 8pm. My boyfriend was having some stomach issues and so we decided to just lay on the lobby couches. To make a long story short it was pretty much impossible to get him a bottle of water. I was told to walk down to our building were we had stayed, find our maid and ask for a bottle from her….. I just ended up going into the store on site and buying one for him but I don’t think I should have had to do that considering we were still guests there until 8pm.
8.Excursions- We did catamaran day trip to Cayo Blanco Island which was gorgeous and sooo much fun, well worth the money! We also swam with the dolphins as the Dolpharina which was an amazing experience! That definitely made our trip! You get a good amount of time in the water with the Dolphins and can purchase pictures or videos afterwards. So awesome!

Overall I have to say this was a great resort! The facilities were clean, pretty good staff minus a few which can happen anywhere and overall just a beautiful resort and grounds. My objective is not to discourage you from choosing this hotel but just to make you aware of what to expect when you do choose it. As I said it was a great vacation just a few flaws worth mentioning.

Room Tip: -Rooms on the top floor will have less of a musty smell and chance of a better view. -Ask for a kin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank jojobean_17
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear "jojobean_17"

Ledbury, Herefordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

To sum up our holiday in one word AMAZING.

We went to Cuba to get married, there was a group of 15 of us all together ranging from 22 months old to 55 years old, most of us were in our late 20s, and we all had a fantastic time.

We spent two weeks at the Laguna Azul and have all agreed that we would love to come back for another stay at this hotel.

The hotel is only about 30/40 mins or so from the airport and is at the end of the peninsular, so you get to drive past all of the other hotels before hand giving you a slight sense of angst, however all worried disappear once you start the ascent of the Laguna Azul's impressive driveway and entrance. The bus pulled up outside the hotel, next to a lovely and very large waterfall fountain, and hotel staff greet you with a cocktail in a beautiful huge marble lobby, check in is very fast and smooth and we were taken to our room in a separate block on a golf trolley by very friendly hotel staff.

A couple of our party asked to change rooms for a variety of reasons, two single beds instead of 1 king size and we asked to be moved as we were on the 2nd floor with a 22 month old baby and pushchair with no lift. This was all rectified within 24 hours. This actually resulted in us having amazing room that was on the ground floor directly in-front of the beach, happy days!

There were a variety of bars and restaurants that were open all day and night and the staff could not have been more helpful or polite. The lobby bar and sun terrace was our favourite, we spent most nights sat there drinking champage cocktails, our glasses were never empty, the table service was superb.

The food was plentiful and OK, Cubans have to make the most of what they have and they do a great job. the al a carte restaurants were actually very very good, especially the Japanese, lots of tricks and showmanship as they cooked at your table!

As I mentioned we came to Cuba to get married, Yahimara was our wedding planner and was fiercely organised! As we were quite laid back about the whole thing, we wanted to be sat by the pool rather than choosing table plans, and cakes etc which she seemed quite shocked about! The only day it rained was on our wedding day, which I was gutted about so half our wedding was on the beach and the other half was upstairs next to the spa, not my dream day, but what can you do about mother nature...it also rained when we had our wedding reception in the UK too!

I had my hair done by the lady in salon, which unfortunately was my biggest regret, she made me look ridiculous and I didn't have enough time to wash and re do my hair before the ceremony, so had to make do with taking all the pins out and straighting it my self, I later refused to pay for the hair 'style'. Her English was quite poor which may have been part of the problem.

We used the resort photographer and unfortunately were quite disappointed by the photos as she kept getting us to move from the beach and up to the spa, taking photos of us on the benches and by the very English looking lampposts! In hindsight we should have stood our ground more and asked her for more shots on the beach. As part of the wedding package we had a meal for us and all of our guests in the Italian restaurant which was lovely and the staff were also very lovely and brought us a flambe wedding cake!

We did a number of trips, including the catamaran to Cayo Blanco [my favourite] the day trip to Havana and jet ski safari.

The catamaran was simply wonderful and the highlight of my trip. It was a whole day, and most of our party went including our 22 month son. The trip consisted of a mini bus the marina, a Catamaran to a beautiful uninhabited paradise Island, lobster lunch and finally swimming with dolphins in the ocean! Also all drink was inlcuded on the cruise. The two chaps that sailed the Catamaran were great fun and made trip even more enjoyable. TAKE THIS TRIP, it was brilliant.

We also did the day trip to Havana, it was a long day but worth it. Its an amazing city, with lots to see, although it made very pleased that we had picked Varadero for our hotel, one day in Havana was enough for me - very hot!

Jetski safari was awesome, slow jetskis but great fun. It lasts for a few hours and you get taken to a deserted zoo which was fun.

Although we were all inclusive we tried to get out as much as we could, we hired scooters [GREAT FUN] and went into Varadero town, which was fun, and actually the beaches here are breathtaking, better than the hotel beach.

We also went to the famous Calle '62 which was my favourite night, brilliant love music and dancing in the street, it was truly amazing.

Cuba as a whole has music playing all the time usually in the form of live bands, which only adds to the charm of the island and culture, this was another of my 'favourite things'.

The rooms were a good size, beds were huge, we spent most of the holiday with our 22 month old son lying horizontally in the bed with us and there was still plenty of room. The maid were great too, on our wedding night they had decorated our bed and bathroom with rose petals.

The staff at this resort are SO friendly, polite and courteous. They do not expect to be tipped, but they deserve it. Cuba is a very poor country and no one is allowed to make a great deal of money. After reading reviews we took tooth paste, pens, toothbrushes, shampoo, tampons, paracetamol, aspirin and baby products with us as a form of tip for the maids which they seemed very grateful for. We also left all of our shampoo and toiletries behind for them, and all chipped in and gave our favourite waiters and waitresses a big tip on our last day.

We sued the hotel baby sitting service two or three times and the girls were lovely.

Over all we LOVED Cuba and loved this hotel. If I had to pick a negative point, it would be that the 'public' toilets by the pools were a little shabby with broken hinges etc, but this really was the only thing I would criticise, it really was a the best holiday I have ever had and all of our friends felt the same way too.

This hotel offers great service, excellent value for money, great location and beautiful surroundings with 3 large pools catering to every-ones needs, both young and old. there is something for everyone at this hotel and its big enough to have music in one area and tranquillity in the other. We cant wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank kaytecc
Dear "kaytecc"

Iberostar Laguna Azul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
1973.5 km away
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
11.5 km away
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul? Share your experiences!