“Take a room only on a top floor”
Review of Hotel Dos Mares

and 1 more site!
Hotel Dos Mares
Ranked #51 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
“Take a room only on a top floor”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Never stay on the middle floor: the bathroom is flooded with green fungus on the ceiling and walls and small insects. If you take a room on the top floor facing the ocean (that’s where I stayed), it’s rather clean and cosy though small but still fine for its value. The bed is comfortable and bedsheets are clean (don’t look at the mattress!) The breakfast was terrible: the bread was green! Disgusting! I never stayed there for breakfast any more since I discovered it. The Hotel is very centrally located which is super convenient if you want to do the shopping. The beach is right across the Hotel and, guys and ladies, it is the most beautiful beach I ever saw – clean and empty. If you want to save the money, you could stay in this hotel but don’t expect too much!

Room Tip: Top floor facing the ocean or the side walks only
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loulou188113

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
vagabondaisme
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Dos Mares. I stayed 4 nights in total; it was so much better than the Playa Caleta where I stayed for about a week because I was meeting my family there. My rooms at Dos Mares were clean, the bathrooms new and the hotel was quiet. Breakfast included was declicious with fruit, coffee (many cups), omelet and toast. I found the staff pleasant and accommodating. One lady at the desk offered to call a Casa Particular in Cienfuegos to make a reservation for me. I would definitely go back and definitely recommend it. At $28. a night including breakfast, one cannot ask for more.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank vagabondaisme
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We've booked a double room and when we arrived we saw this:
- the windows were not quite closing (and it was 10°C at nights in Jan)
- the bathroom door looked like it has survived a war
- the tap was hardly coupled with the basin
- the shower had an erectile disfunction and the hose was torn into pieaces and the water was hardly flowing [and it was damn cold too!]

Given the number of defects I'm pretty sure the room has not had any repair in a few years.

We've gone to the reception and it turned out they had only two rooms for replacement:
1) Larger double-bed room with 5 half-broken windows (= bad for January)
2) One single-bed room
The latter had only one major defect - the bathroom door was not quite closing with a 4" gap.

They've kindly agreed to move us to the single-bed room, without any compensation of course...
Also, in the middle of our stay one of the bed lights has fall off the wall, but they've fixed it quickly.

That said, the first room was so terrible I'd never invite a guest there.
I'd get cold for sure if we stayed there..
This is why I set a very low rating - I felt like they've tried to fool me instead of providing the best service they could.

Other than that, the hotel was OK.
It was clean, the staff was friendly (but the receptionists hardly knew English!), the breakfasts were cheap but OK, the beach is just 1 min of walking.

Room Tip: Ask hard for a replacement in case you find any defects
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timur I

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Bonn, Germany
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed there twice, beginning and end of trip. It offers, what you pay for: nothing spectacular but perfectly okay. The room was clean, the beds good, the room fairly quiet (that is: AC-noise does not bother us). For a little extra (10 CUC) we got one of the bigger rooms (109). We reserved this room twice. The investment was well worth it. Breakfast was a bit below standard Cuban breakfasts but also okay. Staff was friendly. We had to pay 2 CUC extra to store our luggage for a few hours. We liked the location because you are able to walk to restaurants, shops, bank and artisan markets.

Room Tip: It is well worth investing 10 CUC more into a bigger room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Screenname1967
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed at Dos Mares twice during our visit to cuba. Our first 2 nights were great. Nice big room (209) with an obstructed view of the ocean but ok. The room was very clean and quiet with 5 windows for a cross breeze. The breakfast is standard cuban fare but sufficent to tie you over for a bit. We like the room so much and the price was perfect 40 cuc for both of us we decided to reserve it for our last two night in cuba since we like it we thought why now. Well when we arrived back at the hotel 10 nights later the room we reserved was not available since the people who were staying there had a 16 hour flight delay and needed to stay another night. (I thought that once a room was reserved they should have moved those people out for there last night since the room was already reserved.) She told us that we can have room 109 which is right below and is the same so i thought ok no big deal. We got the keys and went to the room to have a look. First of the light cords above the bed had no plugs just the wired stuck into the wall mere inches from your head, the toilet had no seat and the towels in the room didn't look all that clean. I headed back down to the front desk to voice my concerns and the woman said that she can give us 101 for the first night and then 209 for the second. The room was smaller but she still wanted us to pay the 40cuc after a long drawn out debate she reinburised us 10 cuc. Thanks for the effort but next time i think they should stick to there reservations. Over all good location just mere steps away from a quiet section of beach and close to everything varadero has to offer.

Room Tip: In my opinion 209 is the best room. We had friends who followed us back to varadero and they got a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends