“Awesome relaxing trip!”

Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
PEI, Canada
“Awesome relaxing trip!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Brisas del Caribe April 9th - 16th, 2012. Weather was fantastic!
I read reviews ahead of time and decided to give it a try, we booked last minute, got a GREAT deal and were VERY happy with our decision to stay here. Like other people have posted, if you are expecting 5 star service, look elsewhere. This is 4 stars by Cuba standards.

We arrived late at night, were welcomed with a drink, fast and easy check in, jumped on a trolly and were taken to our room, 2nd floor of the South section. Room was clean, spacious, over looked the pool areas, AC, tv, worked fine the whole week. Always hot water, great water pressure, no odor or bugs in the room. Our mini fridge did not work, that was ok, we didn't need it. No clock radios in the rooms. We brought an adapter but didn't need it, the plug for the tv was 2 pronged and our ipod docking station worked there. Maid always left fresh towels, towel art, and the room/shower was always very clean.

Pools were very clean, but we preferred the beach, and spent the majority of our day (7 hours a day) on the GORGEOUS beaches! There was always someone there to get our loungers for us, and there were plenty of them, but go early to get under a beach palapa. We brought our own beach towels. People do try to sell things to you on the beach, hats, beer mugs, bathing suit coverups, seashells etc...but if you say no, they keep walking and don't bother you. We did end up buying from a couple of them, and we didn't have to barter very much.

We booked 3 a la cartes and only ended up going to 2. Fantasia one was not good, Brisas was very good. We always found something to eat at the main buffet, breads, rice, fish, shrimp, eggs, omelets, fruit, smoothies, and salad is what I lived on...and icecream. :) Ask the Omelet guy (I forget his name, but he was awesome! Singing and smiling all the time) to fry you eggs, he will make them to order, toasts your bread too! We also got creative and made foot-long subs! I stayed away from the mystery meat, also the chicken was never cooked through. Pizza and burgers at the 24 hour snack bar (south section) were very good. Coffee and cappuccino's at the Lobby coffee bar was the best, but most importantly the pina colada's, lime daiquiri's, rum and coke, and Cristal Beer were delish!

We went for relaxation, sun and sand, did not go on any excursions, but did take the hop on/hop off bus into the city for 5 peso's each. Well worth it. Lots of market shopping, good restaurants and very friendly people.
We saw one of the night entertainment shows in the lobby, it was fine, didn't go to any others so I can't comment on them.

There are a few stray cats on the resort - outside around the main buffet, I am not a fan of cats, and had a hard time getting used to the idea that there were cats on the resort, but if people continue to feed them they will not go away!!!

Internet service did not work, we walked a very short distance to the resort next door and used their internet. 30 minutes for 5 pesos. Slow connection, so bring your drink with you and you won't be stressed out!

We had planned to go to the gym but it was toooooo hot in there. Walking along the beach, and swimming in the ocean was enough exercise anyway....and who really wants to exercise while on vacation!!

Tips: Buy a pineapple drink from one of the sellers on the beach for 3 pesos, you can barter down from 5. Buy your peso's at the hotel lobby cadeca, NOT from the front desk. Purchase your rum, coffee, and cigars in the lobby store to take home with you, pack them in your suitcase, cheaper than the duty free.
Bring an insulated cup, face cloths, snack foods, polysporin and band-aids, lots of sunscreen, ($26-30 a bottle if you run out) tylenol, gatorade crystals to add to your bottled water for hang-over days, smile, relax, tip your maid, gardener, bartender, and cook (not for better service, just because they deserve it) AND don't sweat the small stuff!!!!

Room Tip: Email the hotel ahead of time and ask for a 2nd floor room in the south section. It was perfect for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Avril_beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I just got back from Brisas del Caribe, was there for 1 week. I've stayed at all inclusives in similar price ranges in Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Cayo Coco Cuba - comparing "apples to apples" this was by far the worst resort I've been to. My bus from the airport stopped at a few other resorts on the way to mine, and just looking out the window I realized Brisas was the most run down ratty looking place among them, noticable before you even get off the shuttle. The paint is peeling, walls and tiles are cracked, I held a banister and almost took a tumble when I realized it was not moored to anything as it swung wildly away from me. It even looks ratty from a distance.

The food was by far the worst thing though, the same fatty meal choices every day, and what was not finished off one meal reappeared thinly disguised as a new meal the next, and even into the next day as well. Buffet mealtime was usually a grim affair as people walked from one unappetizing looking dish to the next trying to piece together a decent tasting meal. Lots of rice fried in gross looking sausages, and cold cuts that looked like baloney or som other "mock' meat. People's faces were visibly upset during meals; I have no idea where these "great food" reviews are coming from. When something decent like grilled shrimp was available at the grill, the lineup was 15-20 people deep, because it was the only "clean" looking food available. I arrived late on my first day and had to try the 24 hr cafeteria. I ordered a hamburger - two dried up buns and something that vaguely resembled beef. I asked for ketchup and mustard and was told "no ketchup, no mustard." At buffet time the pork smelled like it was still on the live pig. The desserts were an assortment of spongy cakes and white icing, 5 variations of the same tasteless sugar pastry, every single meal, every single day. I suppose everyone has different taste - if you're into fatty fried garbage that will pack on the fat and give you heart disease, then...maybe then...

The public washrooms usually had no soap, and offerred toilet paper for paper towels. The kitchen staff used the public washrooms - I saw no attempt at hand washing from staff in the washroom. The ladies washrooms have no seats. My room key opened my door sometimes and sometimes didn't. Same key opened the room safe sometines and sometimes didn't. I rarely had a full set of towels for the entire time I was there, something about a shortage and outsourced laundry delivery. My sheets didn't fit on my bed. The air conditioning in my room had a thermostat but actually only had two settings, on and off. I turned it off at night, then when my sweat woke me up I'd turn it on for a while, then back off.

The grounds didn't come close to the calibre of similar "4-star" cuba/dominican/mexico resorts. Everywhere you looked around this hotel you saw apathy. The beach was nice, but almost all Varadero beaches are. There was no drink service at the beach, not even a bar. The sand was not cleaned regularly so guest garbage and butts were usually present to some degree.

Note - this hotel is on a strip of hotels some distance from "town" - there are other hotels in Varadero proper, also with nice beaches.

This pace is a hole.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor in the main building. It was fairly typical of these sorts of resorts, my...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Ontario
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My friend & I visited the Brisas del Caribe in early April and we really enjoyed our holiday in Cuba once again......We arrived at night and there was a bus there to bring us to the resort. Our room was close to everything which was nice ......it was in the lobby building on the main floor so no stairs for this girl.......there is no coffee maker & the fridges are not stocked with pop or beer but we were ok with that since the "coffee bar" & "lobby bar" were close......We would pick up a couple of drinks at the lobby bar to bring to our room while we get ready for the night activities.....We always had hot water & a decent hair blower (actually had some strength), I brought my adapter with me for the hair straightener & to charge my camera batteries.........I took my own face cloths & beach towels .......there is a $15.00 charge for towel & they give the $ back when you return your towel at the end of your stay........The bank is near the lobby bar and is open during the day & many times at night ......we put our $25.00 pesos in the safe with our passport upon arrival so there is less stress the morning or evening of departure........There are a couple of stores (chip/pop etc.) in one & (swimsuits/souvenirs etc.) in the other...........My friend called home to touch base with her family(Canada). She went to the reception desk & the girl directed her to where to make the call (not from our room) and I forget the actual amount but remember it being less than $5.00 pesos ......
We went to the 3 A La Carte and enjoyed them all ...especially the shrimp cocktail (not enough in them for my appetite) but they were good........We had breakfast a few times at the buffet and the service/food were fine.......Apparently, you can have a real nice breakfast in the south side too.........We had lunch a couple of times at the beach bar (not ON beach but not far either) and we had lunch at the buffet & we always found something GOOD to eat.........The first day or so of my arrival, I was reluctant to "try" the food as I expected it to be "blah" so when I gave in, I was surprised at how good it was........They display the food in the buffet quite nicely too........
You will find a mohito bar & coconut stand near the beach bar also...........Service is excellent there............We celebrated Cuban Day at the beach bar with great music & good food........I should say that a big negative would be that the closest washroom to the beach is a bit distant (by the buffet restaurant).........It was closer to go to my room............We enjoyed the night shows very much & especially the Aqua Ballet........WOW !!! We ran away to Calle 62 on the Tuesday night and enjoyed the live entertainment & watching people dancing..........(someone told me that there was NO ONE at the Calle the night before, I thought that bar was "happening" all the time)........We would go to our disco after the show & lots of people would walk in then a few minutes later....it was close to empty.......!!!??? Service there was good also...........We would go have a pizza to end our night at the south side.........it's not far, perfect walk on a warm night..........Here are a few things that I appreciated during my stay, as I said, we were close to everything, the hairdryer was good, the patio doors were easy to close/lock (bonus), we did not encounter any critters/mosquitoes etc so my legs were bugbite free (bonus again) and the beach was awesome !!!!!! Loved every minute spent at the beach............In the a.m. the entertainers are there (on the beach) for exercises, dance lessons, volleyball etc......You can also get a massage on the beach or in the resort spa........$40.00 for one hour..........There are vendors that walk along the beach selling dresses/jewelry/mugs etc..........There is security also on the beach & there is someone there to bring you a chair should you want one "in" the sun.........We both loved the fact that the resort is not big so to us it makes it more "intimate" and "friendly"............we did meet lots & lots of great people, Cubans & fellow tourists. I will end by thanking our maid Martha for taking good care of us...........!!!!!!! We hope to return someday...........

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marielise39
Prince Albert, SK
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We visited Brisas from April 7-14, 2012. Overall, we would rate our experience as very good. If you are expecting "white glove" service 24-7, then you likely are not at the Brisas site. This resort presents a great balance between value and comfort. It was our second Varadero trip, and our first as low as a 3.5 star resort. There is no doubt you can notice the difference- just as you would for any resort anywhere. We stayed in the "south" block, and (based on feedback from others) this was fortunate! The trip to the main lobby, pool, and beach is further from the south block, but the rooms are actually newer and we had no concern with the odor mentioned by so many in the north block.
We were always able to find decent food, and the bar service was very good. The drinks did not scimp on the alcohol! A-La-Carte options were not superior, but they were worth the time to try, as a diversion from the rather "predictable" main buffet. Evening entertainment was actually above our expectations, and we saw most of the shows.
Without a doubt, the highlight is the beach- 10/10!!
Cuba has its distinct "charm" compared to other Carribean destinations, but we love the country and the people, and this latest experience did not disappoint!

Room Tip: Stay in the "South Block" of rooms available
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Clifford C
Halifax
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My sister and I stayed at this resort and I was reluctant to go because is wasn't a five star. I had never been outside of Canada and everyone warned me about Cuba and the standards.
So here it goes. My trip was amazing. Our room always got cleaned and restocked with fresh clean towels, thanks to our maid Marie.Our toilet would not flush on the 4th day we were there in the am. I told Marie as we left for breakfast and when we came back it was fixed.( So I would say don't be afraid to acknowledge the people who can make a difference to your stay.)
The food was a little on the plain side but they always had salt and pepper on the table and not once did I walk away hungry...oh and the pineapple was amazing too I might add :) We also got to know our server Roy and he made sure we were looked after, keeping us topped up with water, wine or anything else we needed while eating in the buffet. We did two A La Cart and they were great too but never got the personal service that Roy offered!! But who goes to Cuba for the food , right !!
The resort itself does have two sides North which is older and South which is newer. We stayed in the north on the 3rd floor down at the end of the hallway and I will say this. Yes it was older and no it wasn't the most modern but it was clean and the only time I saw any kind of bugs was when the door was left open in the evening and a grasshopper type bug would be near the light.
The pool was always clean and the grounds were in good shape.
We never had a problem getting a chair at the pool but if you want to get an umberella at the beach you need to go at the crack of dawn cause we had gone there around 8 on 2 different days and every umberella was in use so we just pulled our chair back to the tree line and that worked out just fine.
I loved the little shop that was there, no bartering ..everything was very reasonably priced.
And the beach....oh my gosh the beach is AMAZING!!!! I had never seen any thing so beautiful. It was clean, fluffy white sand and as far as the eye could see. My sister and I walked for over an hour and never made an inpact on the distance we could have travelled.
The thing that did throw me off was there are no toilet seats anywhere except in your room so if you can't hover then be prepared. Now as for the toilet paper.I guess it is a hit ofr miss. I took 12 pk of tissues and a full roll just in case and every day we left our room I would take a pack with me and everyday I came home with the same pack. I used the pool side bathroom and the lobby bathroom plenty of times and never once walked into a stall that had no paper...however I did hear one lady having a toilet paper party because apparently she had been there all week and this was the first time there was paper, but she was drunk as a skunk so don't know if she could have seen it if it was there anyway.
Now, as for the drinks I did read that it was never the same twice, this is true but I will point out that the different bars made it differently so the pool bar always made the same type( it looked the same , the same type of liquors went into it the amount of liqour could differ but it was mostly the same), but if you ordered that same drink in the lobby it was different than the pool side bar( the same liqours were used but the base of it was different but the drink that came from each bar was always the same).
and lastly the people were amazing. I wish our culture was as relaxed. Don't expect that they will drop every at the drop of a hat for you cause that is not how they are but you will get kind friendly service. and they will do what ever they can to help you out.
I would go back in a minute and I would recommend it to anyone who don't need all the bells and whistles.
Great bang for your buck!!

Room Tip: North side rooms are smaller but how much time do you really spend in the room :))
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family