“Enjoyable stay”

Hotel Roc Presidente
Ranked #19 of 79 Hotels in Havana
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here for one night when we first arrived into Havana. It was a great location, close to the Malecon and a short taxi ride away from main attractions. The hotel was cute, but nothing too fancy, which is what we expected. The staff were so lovely and we enjoyed cocktails by the pool.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mmmmmelbourne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Our trip to Havana this year found us at the Presidente where as last year we were in the old City at the Sevilla. As we were already familiar with Havana it did not feel as if we were out of the loop of the city centre as a quick $5.00 cab ride got you downtown. It was much more relaxing than being downtown as you were not inundated with street people as you are in the old city. We were never approached while walking the streets in Vedado. No one was trying to sell us anything. The hotel itself was marvelous. We did the upgrade to the Presidential suite which gave us an extra room, an extra bathroom and a 12 by 20 balcony. Well worth the extra money and as this hotel was about $500 less than the Sevilla for the two of us I didn't nind the extra $55 per night. Although the hotel was full you never noticed a crowd except at breakfast but we were able to avoid that as well by having our breakfast across the pool by the pool bar. After our daily excursions we would relax by the pool for a cocktail and there was never more than a dozen people present so it felt like you were alone. Jorge gave us directions to several fabulous Paladars for excellent meals. The breakfast is basic but adequate. The staff was always helpful but when they know which room you are in they are more than happy to assist you. It doesn't matter where you stay in Cuba you need to tip. They make nothing for wages so their real earnings come from the tips and as I make more in an hour than they do in 2 weeks I don't have a problem with that. As well I have worked in the service industry in the past and know the value of good service and how it is obtained and maintained. So where will we stay next year? Probably the Presidente as it is good value for the $ and much quieter. We can still get to the rest of the city cheaply and we are not afraid to explore on our own.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ and do the upgrade
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mertoni
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Hotel Presidente is a 5cuc taxi ride into Old Havana. The hotel itself had an old world charm about it. When we arrived we were greeted by the bellboy Jorge (an extremely likeable and knowledgable guy) unfortunately our room wasn't quiet ready but he took it upon himself to keep us informed and showed us around the hotel and pool area whist we waited. Unfortunately could not say the same of the reception staff who were not very pleasant. The room itself was clean and comfortable and a good size as was the bathroom. The self service buffet breakfast was very disappointing, fortunately their chef was on hand to make a fresh omelet and this was the saving grace for us. The pool area is basic but does have plenty of loungers. The pool bar does good toasted sandwiches at lunchtime and is not too overpriced. Close to the hotel we found three lovely paladers (these are family run restaurants which are part a cuban's home and makes for a unique dining experience), Castas & Tal, Atelier and Razones, all are within walking distance and I have got to say offer the best dining experiences we had in the whole of Havana. For information and places to visit in and around Havana again our bellboy Jorge was a wealth of information and help us definitely get the most out of our stay at the Presidente.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SussieP
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I booked this hotel as a part of a package tour that says it is a four-star hotel, but I was anxicous reading some bad reviews on this site. My room was clean (except under the bed seats, which I found some hairs but no blood signs of bedbugs) and large (2 double beds plus space for 2 more double beds) with high ceiling (approx. 3ft). Air conditioned. Clean and large bathroom with warm shower. I got a wonderful ocean-view room, which I heard about the half of this hotel rooms get.

Breakfast buffet had 8 different hot varieties (omlett, etc), 3-4 kinds of fruits, ham, cheese, bread, several sweets, juice, yogurt (surprisingly good), coffee and tea, all decent taste. I was impressed how hard buffet staff works hard, too. Front desk speaks fluent English and helpful. There is a currency exchange within the hotel.

The only downside maybe, is the hotel is a bit far from Old Havana. But Havana is a walkable city so I walked about 2hrs one way, took taxi (approx. $10 incl. tip) one way. There are taxis always standing by at the hotel so you'll have no trouble finding if you want to take one. Because it was off from the core of the city, I think the air was cleaner and less noise when I opened the window. Overall, I had a good stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aquatomato
ivettehabana, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Roc Presidente, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear: Is very important for our General Direction and all the staff your opinion about our hotel, its advantages and unadvantages. We feel very happy to know you exceeded your expectation between us. We are sorry for the inconveniences founded in the room. Thanks a lot again for your time. The best.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

When I was younger I would go to Havana and always wanted to stay in the Presidente, so even though it was a bit far from Old Havana I decided to book a long weekend there. Overall it was pleasant, the staff was very friendly and I felt very safe leaving my belongings there with no fear of having them stolen, as apparently happens at some hotels. The breakfast buffet was very good (for Cuba) and it was all you can eat, a good way to start the day. They also let you eat out by the pool, so when it is -25 at home it is a nice change. The one thing that bothered me at the end of my vacation was that the woman at the CADECA (money changer in the lobby) ripped me off. Not for much, but she didn't give me a receipt which made me suspicious and sure enough I was short-changed. She denied it of course (said it was rounding) and I wasn't going to argue but having felt so comfortable in the hotel it reminded me that I had to still watch myself, even though I speak fluent Spanish. I would add, though, that I don't think she was a hotel employee, I think she was sent there by CADECA so I can't fault the hotel for that.
One place where I didn't have problems, and indeed found very helpful, was the CADECA at the San Jose market in Old Havana. I was even able to get local currency (not available at the hotel) and this lets you buy food from local establishments which was a real experience. I found a bar on Concordia and Soledad where beers where 6 pesos (25 cents) and an even better local neighborhood bar further out with the same price on the way to Miramar--hard to explain in a hotel review where it is though, but ask me for directions if you'd like it was very interesting.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Canuckker
ivettehabana, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Roc Presidente, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Sr: We are very pleased you have writed your opinions about our services an the staff. Your opinions are vey interesting for the people who wants to know about our hotel and other kind of services. Is very good to know you had a nice stay here with us and you trust us. Please we ask you if you are planning to come again to Habana, let us know to contact and meet you. Thanks a lot for everything. The best regards.