The good: The food was plentiful and pretty good. Breakfast included sausages, hash, boiled eggs, a version of home fries, scrambled eggs, toast, fresh fruit and lots more. They also would cook you an omlette with various fillings as well as pancakes and fried eggs. It was, for the most part, the same each day. Lunch had numerous dishes (plus salad) to choose from and varied more day to day. I only ate dinner there a couple of nights as I wanted to try other places for variety. The last night they served free rum punch & appetizers (conch fritters and couple of other items which were really good).
It's a pretty set-up with lots of lounge chairs at the pool and on the hill overlooking the ocean. Short walk to town where there are shops, small restaurants and a grocery store. Rooms have hair dryers, irons, wall safe, phone, alarm clock, tv, fridge, a/c. On site casino, lawn games. Short jaunt to airport.
Dive boats are well organized, dive lockers available right on the dock (bring a lock). Dive shop on site with various items for sale. You can dive right off the pier - awesome night diving right there! Snorkeling is also very, very good as there are lots of colorful fish, octopus in the rocks under the pier. You can dive Nitrox if you're certified. Bonaire is the place to go for fantastic short diving - the reef is right there!!!!!
The bad: I always expect a slower pace when travelling south of the border, but..... Although checkin is not until 3:00, my room was not ready until 4:00 PM. Most of the time there was only one staffperson on the service desk with a backup of people waiting for assistance. The safe didn't work and after several requests over several days I was finally able to get them to come to fix it (they installed new batteries which was a common problem). With 129 rooms, they need more staff on desk. If you go to pasta night, expect to wait a loonngggg time in line as they don't have a good system for that type of cooking for that many people.
The a/c could not be shut off so the room was freezing. By that time, I didn't want to try and deal with any more problems so I huddled under the covers at night.
...and then there was the main swimming pool. Yes, they "cleaned" it each day, but it was green and needed to be shocked. I wouldn't swim in it. There was a smaller pool in another spot which wasn't as bad.
OMG - there were two women screaming for help because they accidently locked themselves on the balcony at dusk. Luckily, or so they thought, they had a cell phone and called the front desk. TWO HOURS and many, man bug bites later, help had not arrived. Another guest had to go to the front desk to insist they send someone right away (he said he was busy and was the only one on the desk to handle everything). I won't go into all the details but it was INEXCLUSABLE not to respond to their phone call promptly.
All in all, it's an OK place to stay & great place to dive. But, if you need help with something, you'd better be insistant on your first request or you'll end up waiting a long time for assistance in whatever is the issue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort & Casino allows you to experience the simple pleasure of tropical life. Whether you want to lounge around all day by one of our two freshwater pools, test your luck in our on-site casino at night, relax with a massage in the on-site spa, or scuba dive and snorkel through the beautiful Caribbean ocean, our Bonaire resort offers a truly memorable experience for all ages. Divi Flamingo is colorful, laidback, and fun; our resort and casino serves as the perfect home base for divers and vacationers drawn to explore the unpretentious island and stunning waters surrounding Bonaire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Divi Flamingo Beach Hotel Kralendijk
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort And Casino Bonaire/Kralendijk