4,232 results
All reviews the executive lounge lighthouse restaurant pool bar bay view kids club diamond member tour desk happy hour careenage bar brown sugar the grill day pass private beach the cliff the gap rented a car carlisle bay
Reviewed 10 December 2007

Our first time to Barbados and we lucked out the entire trip!

Upon landing, we stumbled upon a Hilton rep outside the airport. She flagged a nice taxi for us and gave us a brief overview of the taxi system. (Flat rates, no meters!)

Upon checkin, we waited for about 10 minutes, but we were extra nice to the checkin lady and she upgraded us to a fantastic corner suite. (BTW, my girlfriend's gold status and the fact that we were using HHonors points probably helped w/ this as well.)

The 4th floor suite was great. It was 2 rooms converted into 1. We had 2 balconies -- one ocean side, another bay side, 2 full bathrooms, a sitting area, amazing views, access to the Exec lounge, flat screen tv, nice robes, high-end Le Source(?) bath products and extremely soft towels.

The weather was great every day. About 85 w/ a nice breeze off the ocean. The online weather in the US predicted rain every day. Luckily, we only had 30 minutes of rain on 1 day at 5am.

The only negatives: the restaurant service @ the Lighthouse was on "island time". But once we realized it was very slow, we planned accordingly. The food was a little lack-luster, but acceptable.

The woman at the tour desk was really unhelpful. Getting any information out of her was like pulling teeth. We found the staff in the Exec lounge (Jillian!) to be much more enthusiastic about the Island and they provided great recommendations.

Renting a car was also an "adventure". The car we rented from the hotel was great. It was a convertible Jimmy w/ AC and a CD player. But there were practically no street signs on the entire island and the map only included every 3rd street. Be sure to bring lots of patience on any self-guided journies. In hind site, we're glad we did it though.

I'd definitely stay here again if I go back to Barbados.

7  Thank Sacra-cago
Reviewed 3 December 2007

We have just spent 12 days at the hilton in barbados and we think it covered all the bases that we wanted for this break, which were a nice clean hotel, good views, nice beach and good location.

Having heard about the west coast been the place to be, I actually think the hilton location is as good as any after we hiried a car to go touring. It's perfectly placed for the gap and bridgetown and the west coast should you venture up there.

I agree the pricing for food isn't great, it is quite expensive and the choice is not fantastic, especially for lunch as everything seemed to be a large plate full. After a couple of days we just started wandering down to the local pertrol station shop and bought our own goodies, it saved a fortune.

Breakfast is extremely expensive ($50bd / £12.50 per head in the restaurant), but we ordered room service every day and ate on our balcony overlooking the sea, this way you can choose what you want, and only pay for it, rather than paying for the option for eat the whole menu! This suited us as my wife only likes toast for breakfast!

The swimming pools were great, we tended to hang out by the top one which did minimise the noise form the beach work. They were quite quiet and well maintained. Re the beach work, we did know about thisbefore we went so we can't complain, and some days it was quite noisy (although they're nearly finished) although they did have a break of 4 days. However it wasn't all day long, and to be honest you do tune it out. Also as we prefer the pool to the beach anyway, it didn't affect us too much.

Most of the staff were friendly however some of them seem to have forgotten what a smile is. One of the room service girls almost made you feel guilty for making her come all the way up to your room she was that miserable. However the girl who handed out towls by the pool always had a cheery smile for you which always made up for it!

All in all I'd say for what we wanted the hilton suited us just fine.

As for the island itself, well............................it was nice but not a great as we'd expected. The amount of traffic surprised us around the main roads, and the famed beaches disappointed us a tad. Also we found the nightlife very quiet, even at the gap, we thought there would be more of a "scene" going on, and this is from a couple who aren't exactly late night revellers either.

We did the Tiami cruise (booked through the hotel) and this was excellent. Nice and easy cruising up the coast for snorkelling and food, very good.

Overall, it was a good holiday and it did what we wanted and we felt the hilton played its part.

6  Thank peapod1000
Reviewed 2 December 2007

The beach restoration project ruined my vacation as I aimed to have a low key tranquil vacation hanging out at the hotel beach. Well, I booked my vacation long before the beach restoration project and could not cancel without penalities...so I went anyway...well my arrival was below average at the reception desk...the staff was quite busy and I had to wait awhile...staff was not very friendly and the forgot to tell me that I had access to the executive lounge. I found out on my own later and that was the only thing that made it worthwhile staying here...it was a nice lounge and the lounge staff were competent and nice. The hotel restaurants on the other hand were expensive and had the slowest service and not so good food...I did enjoy and appetizer called "sea cat" which is octopus. Anyway, back to the noise. All day long everyday except for a lunch hour there was heavy machinery operating on the beach...noisy and also smelly from bad black exhaust spewing out of one of the machines!!! UGH! The beach looked nice but with this project it made me quite upset. The hotel should haved lowered its prices to make up for the noise and smell! I couldn't even escape it in my room...bang bang...and I had to keep my window shut otherwise the diesel fumes came in as my room overlooked the machinery staging area and some kind of refinery? Not so nice.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
7  Thank hotelexpertUsa
Reviewed 29 November 2007

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel. It is in a great location with lovely beach and two wonderful pools. It was never too crowded and all staff were very helpful. I would suggest to get the executive rooms as they include a continental breakfast, use of internet, complimentary drinks and snacks at 6pm and then cognac and chocolates at 9pm. The conciege in executive lounge was always very helpful.

food is expensive all over the island and this is no exception. Buffet is overpriced. Grille restaurant is good. We rented a car to have other dinner choices outside the hotel, which is easy and worth the effort.

overall, very nice place. nice staff, nice pool. very new hotel and very clean.

for excursions outside hotel, we used cool runnings catamaran for a 5 hours snorkel and sailing trip. it was very well run, nice staff, good buffet, etc. highly recommend this outing.

also for restaurants outside the hotel, avoid lobster alive (got ill from food). We would suggest pisces in st lawrence gap (wonderful food and service)

6  Thank dottiedog
Reviewed 27 November 2007

The Hilton is a big hotel by Barbados standards but the rooms are very nice with sea views, the bathrooms are very spacious and the location is terrific-not too far from the gap or west coast restaurants. Every single person was extremely helpful and pleasant. We stayed on the executive level and we received an expanded continental breakfast including fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, cheese, pastries, breads, juice, coffee, tea. The evening appetizers were not the best but there were always cheese & crackers, veg and dip,assorted canapies and drinks. The beach was beautiful but they needed more umbrellas and pads for the lounges. The pools were great. Everything was very clean and while we were there the construction was suspended so we we lucked out. It is funny that the previous writer said the hotel was American meanwhile almost every visitor we spoke with was British, Austrian or from other European countries. Overall, we really had a great time and would return to the Hilton.

5  Thank weins4