1,228 results
All reviews ocean echo cliffside room infinity pool aqua terra poolside room la serena spa point suite romance package cliff side private beach coconuts restaurant hot tub afternoon tea junior suite dinner on the beach our honeymoon beach staff
Reviewed 6 July 2016

My wife and I celebrated an anniversary in Bermuda. We mistakenly booked a hotel that promised to be a resort-style experience but was far from it. We made a few desperate calls around the island, and the Reefs called back with an opening.

We loved our two-day stay. The beach is pristine, the restaurants are first-rate, and the staff is wonderful.

I'd give this five stars, but the rooms are a little "tired." They could use a refresh. BUT... the other factors around this hotel more than make up for that. Book the Reefs for a wonderful vacation experience.

Room tip: Don't get a pool view room. You'll catch the noise from the neighbors.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Dear Fred G,

While we are sorry that your Bermuda vacation got off to a rocket start elsewhere, we are pleased that it led you to us at The Reefs and that you had a wonderful time in the end! We have been undergoing various stages of refurbishments to our rooms, including recently renovating all of the bathrooms in our Poolside and Cliffside categories, and have plans to continue these updates in the future, including new furniture and fixtures, among other changes. It is wonderful to hear that you found the beach pristine and the restaurants first rate, but I am especially pleased to read your kind words regarding the staff and look forward to sharing your comments with them.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to The Reefs soon.

Beast Regards,
David Dodwell, Jr.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

If I could give this hotel 3.5 stars I would. The views, the location, the rooms, all were very nice and top quality. The service however was quite bad, likely due to understaffing of the resort on a holiday weekend but it showed. I don't often leave bad reviews, but I think its important to voice experiences as I often do a lot of research before booking. We were visiting for our Honeymoon which the hotel was made aware of but did not do anything or take any special care for our reservations or excursions.

Major Complaints:
1) Dinning- We ate at Coconuts for lunch almost every day, and once for dinner, even though we had reservations for dinner the hostess refused to give us a table in the nicer section of the dinning room. She said the table that was free was reserved for a 3 top. My husband and I decided to sit at the bar so we could have a view, and she promptly sat a two top at the available table. This happened each time we dinned there, we had to ask for a table with a view even though there were often plenty available. This also happened at breakfast every morning.

2) Taxis- Every time we requested a taxi from the front desk there was an issue. Even though there was always a taxi parked in front of the hotel, we often waited 20 minutes for one to arrive. The parked taxi never seemed to want to take anyone anywhere. We almost missed a chartered boat as a result of this upon our arrival. The taxi that took us to the airport was on time, but the driver said he charged a "flat rate" which has never happened to us in our 4 other trips to Bermuda.

3) Check out. We were called three times the day before our check out to remind us of the check out time, even when requesting a cab at 5 PM the night before we left the front desk interrupted my husband to remind him of check out (after two calls and a voicemail). They were chasing us off the property! It was really abrasive and an awful reminder on our first anniversary no less.

4) Beach Umbrella's- On the last day there were not enough umbrellas for the fully packed beach, which is a bit odd considering they should be ready for anything at max capacity.

We were really excited to book this property as it has often been booked in the past, but I do not think we will be staying here next year.

Date of stay: July 2016
1  Thank Kathy M
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2016

Dear Kathy M,
I am very sorry to read your review as it is not the enjoyable experience we aim to provide for our guests. While I am sure that our team members had only good intentions, the experience from your perspective in each of these instances is understandably frustrating and we clearly fell short on these occasions during your stay.

I will be reviewing your comments with all of our Department Managers and we will use them as examples to help prevent similar instances from reoccurring. While we never like to hear that our guests had anything but a wonderful experience, it is important to hear all feedback and use it to constantly improve, so I thank you for your candor and detail.

We are known for providing some of the best service on the island and would be eager to have another opportunity to show you a more memorable experience on a future trip.

David Dodwell Jr

Reviewed 4 July 2016

First time staying at The Reefs. Upon arrival, received a cold towel for face and a cold drink during check-in. Was assigned a beautiful corner room with 2 excellent views of the beach and ocean views. Staff always addressed me by my name and went out of their way to make sure everything was to my liking. Food was excellent, service outstanding and staff friendly/accommodating. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone visiting Bermuda. Couldn't ask for more!

Room tip: Corner room 316 Vertigo has 2 excellent views of beach and ocean views.

Dear Lori F,

I was delighted to read your review and that you had such a memorable stay. It is wonderful to hear that so many aspects of your stay were outstanding, from the room to the dining, and most importantly the service. Our team works hard to provide a genuine and memorable experience and help in any way to ensure that our guest's feel at home, and I am pleased to hear that you felt their genuine hospitality.

Thank you again, we are so appreciative of the kind review, and hope to welcome you back to The Reefs soon!

Best Regards,
David Dodwell Jr.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Spent three nights at The Reefs and had a wonderful stay! This is a small secluded resort/hotel that has a private beech with great ocean views and magnificent rock formations that extend into the water. The water is crystal clear and from our balcony we could actually see larger, darker fish swimming around the submerged rocks! The beech was wonderful, and we never had to worry about getting lounge chairs or beech umbrellas. Our package came with breakfast, either a good (and varied) buffet or a menu, and full meal plans are available. Unfortunately, this was not communicated to us via Travelocity and we probably paid more than we had to for meals. Dinner for the two of us were in the $160 range including 1 or 2 drinks. The food was good, and included a seafood buffet one night which was exceptional. The room was large and comfortable and the bathroom was also large and had a great shower. The furniture was a bit dated but seemed to fit the beech motif well. Service was excellent and the staff very friendly. One negative was that service on the beech was limited to one waiter. We had lunch on the beech, but additional ongoing cocktail service was mostly unavailable except at the bar. Still, we had a great stay and are looking forward to going back.

Room tip: Most rooms I saw had excellent ocean views.

Dear marct357,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are so happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. While we are sorry that Travelocity was not clear regarding their package, we are certainly delighted to hear that you enjoyed so many of our dining experiences and enjoyed the seafood buffet so much. We appreciate the feedback regarding the beach service and will follow up with our team directly as we constantly work to improve.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay at The Reefs.

Best Regards,
David Dodwell Jr.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

The Reefs has lovely views, a great beach and good food but is unfortunately let down by its service. We stayed for 10 nights in a cottage and didn't feel like part of the hotel. A request for ice arrived over 2 hours after it was requested and Room service was not available at lunch. The staff themselves on the whole were helpful (although a few fell short of the politeness and friendliness that I'm accustomed to on the island), but I can only assume there aren't enough of them. It's a shame because the beach is great as is the coconuts restaurant next to it, however the beach is for hotel guests only, so I am unlikely to visit it again as we would choose to stay elsewhere. Service makes a truly special stay and unfortunately the reefs fell well short of expectations.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank jonl834

Dear Jon L,
I certainly agree that consistent service does make for a truly memorable stay and as such, I am saddened to hear that we did not achieve that on this occasion. While many of our guests enjoy the advantage of having more space in our cottages, we always want you to feel just as much a part of the resort as in any of our other rooms. We pride ourselves on providing timely service and I apologize that you had such a long wait for your request. While I appreciate that you found the majority of the staff so helpful, we certainly strive for you to feel that genuine Bermudian friendliness at all times.

I thank you for your comments and will be taking them back to our team for review. I do hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you to The Reefs again, especially given your enjoyment of the beach and Coconuts Restaurant. Please do not hesitate to use me as a personal contact for any future trips to the island as I would be keen to welcome you back to The Reefs and I am confident that we can better show you the special stay that you were looking for.

David Dodwell Jr