“Just OK? Hardly! The ONLY place to stay in Aruba!”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I really take exception to the review that said the Divi Phoenix is "just OK." I was there the same week, my ELEVENTH visit, and I will say that some of the other guests staying can really be impossible. Rude too. Allow me to correct that misguided review:

1. The rooms are BEAUTIFUL. Yes, the towers and new penthouse suites are nicer than the older section, but the lower-priced rooms in the older section are well appointed. Not ONCE did I ever smell mold, nor did I speak to another guest there who did. We always stay in the newer section, but then again, we're not looking to nickel and dime it on vacation. How much time do vacationers spend in their room, anyway?

2. There is a gigantic book at each concierge desk with menus from EVERY restaurant on the island. Let the concierge know what kind of food you're in the mood for, and they personally review the book with you and make your reservation. Sergey is the BEST, so anyone who has a problem with him goes into the "difficult" category.

3. The food at both Pure Beach and Sunset Beach Bistro is EXCELLENT. Horrible? Go down by the Marriott and eat at MooMBa, if you want substandard food. Or worse, blow $6 on a hot dog at the "Nathan's" kiosk at the airport, then throw it out after one bite which is pure nitrates.

While at the Phoenix, the catch of the day or any fish dish on either menu is "can't miss". Also surprisingly good (this coming from someone right outside of New York City who knows a thing or two about the finest food) is the pasta bolognese at Pure Beach, found on the children's menu. We shared with the little one and ended up ordering it ourselves a couple more nights. An ample portion and at about $7.00, one of the best bargains on the island.

While at the Phoenix this past week, I walked to both the Westin and Riu to use the ATM machine. NOTHING "Caribbean" whatsoever at either resort. The Westin felt like it could have been Palm Springs California or Palm Beach Florida. I'd never stay there. The Riu was AWFUL. Like staying in a giant mausoleum in Europe. The guests there were NOT smiling. All uptight like "I'm paying $5,000 for ONE WEEK so nobody better get in my way." The staff at both the Westin and Riu were not happy, likely due to the overdemanding, impatient "guests" running them ragged. First time visitors to the island who stay at the wrong resort, will not come away with the impression of "One Happy Island." Those who stay at the Divi Phoenix will definitely come away with that feeling!!

I met plenty of other people at the Divi Phoenix who, like myself, stayed at the Marriott Surf Club before and found that resort not to their liking. You want "just OK?" Go stay THERE. Fight over pool chairs and palapas. Wait 45 minutes on the beach or pool bar for the server to bring you a drink (due to overcrowded conditions). I met other guests who owned at La Cabana and Playa Linda who wanted to trade for the Divi Phoenix after just a few days, and first time visitors who wanted to buy not just ONE week at the Phoenix, but TWO weeks, like we have.

I could never stay at the Divi Phoenix just once per year. It's the ONLY place we go on vacation to now, and we've been to many other islands. As beautiful as all Caribbean islands are in general, the difference in Aruba, is its PEOPLE. NOWHERE are the people of Aruba better represented by way of kindness, than at the DIVI ARUBA PHOENIX.

Yes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Judging by the prior review, you can't please some of the people any of the time!

8  Thank IrishMom91562
Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed 3 July 2011

We just returned from a week and the divi pheonix. It was just ok nothing great. Rooms smell like mold, service is not why you would expect in Aruba. Food is horrible, and over priced - don't eat there! But don't ask Sergy or anyone there where to eat either. They don't know or care!! I will not go back but if your looking for a value and don't expect or need much then it's ok.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank MASSMAN789
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Our family of 9 arrived on June 18th for a week of great fun. My wife and I had our Honeymoon 9 years ago and stayed at La Cabana. We were very excited to bring our two girls ages 6 &3. We had a one bedroom suite in the new towers (a MUST). Beautifully decorated and what a fabulous view. Both of my girls LOVED the pools and the grounds were always kept in great shape. We ate at PureBeach a few times - great food and Rafael was a great server. Sunset Bistro at the Phoenix was excellent as well. We also walked (about 10 minutes) down the beach to Bugaloe for lunch twice!
We also did the Jolly Pirates afternoon snorkle, ate at Casa Tua and Momba.
Monday morning took the bus to SuperFoods for groceries - Great way to save some money.
Had no problem getting a Pallapa on the beach (it is low season) and my girls were able to make friends with other children their age. Love the fact that the Phoenix is at the Beginning of the High Rise District - and secluded and nowhere near the crowds of the High Rise District. I would definitely come back and only stay here on somewhere in the Low Rise District. In my opinion they have built up too much in the High Rise with shops and too many hotels so the location of the Phoenix is Perfect.
I do not have really anything bad to say. My only suggestions would be to improve the availability of the concierge and to have servers go from Palapa to Palapa offering drinks or food.
Really really hope we can go again next year!
If you have any questions, please feel free to respond and I will help anyway I can.

Room Tip: Get into the new Towers... Period.
1  Thank JYDAWGS
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We arrived on 6/11 to the resort with anticipation of it being as nice as the Divi Golf & Beach Resort where we stayed last year. My Bad! We were placed into one of the oceanfront villas in a "Studio" which really irritates me as Our resort trades never come close to being equal to Our home Unit. The unit was clean, but quite small. The TV was on the same wall as our bed which infuriated my wife as she couldn't watch TV from bed. The refrigerator door seem to be on the wrong side for opening as it was opening from the left and on a left side wall. Not good! It pinned you in to get into the frig. We were told upon our arrival to get with them the next day and they would get us a better room possibly. So we dealt with it for the night. We were then placed in a room at the top of the tower on the 14th floor. Good right? No, the tower has a smell that everyone is aware of as I read about it before I left. We tried to get into the new section but with no avail. We dealt with the smell for the week. After some time being in the room it seems your senses get over it and it doesn't bother you after a while. I will only stay in Divi Golf resort if I ever go back. There rooms are new and much nicer overall.

Room Tip: Request only the new section of the Phoenix.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2011

My hubby, his sister and parents, and their best friends, spent a week at the Divi Aruba Phoenix. Overall, we loved the hotel - we had 2 1-bedroom-suites on the 4th floor (we got upgraded from 2 studios), and 1 2-bedroom-suite on the top floor (perfect for 2 couples). The rooms are new, gorgeous furnishings, well-taken care of, and all have beach views. The washer/dryer (with lengthy instruction manual!) and full kitchen were a nice touch. The Phoenix is at one end of the high rise area, with a large lot in between it and the next high rise (Westin). Therefore, the beach is more isolated than the other high-rise hotel beaches. Being off season, we never had any issues getting a palapa or beach chairs at all. There is no beach service, but it's a short walk to the Pure Beach bar at the pool. The breeze (appreciated) and blowing sand (not so much) is unrelenting.

Check-in was easy (grab a rum punch by the front door). Your whole party should be there when you sign in, to sign a waiver. You get a room ID card, a key to your room card, a towel card, and (if you prepaid - $12/day vs. $15/day at the resort) a breakfast card. Quite a bit to keep up with on vacation! They also give a huge packet, which SHOULD have consisted of a map of the hotel, the area, a schedules of event, spa information - BUT NO - it was a huge packet of useless advertisements and a letter warning about reserving beach chairs. [NOTE: Go to the Concierge desk (or to the brochure kiosk) and grab a "MENU" magazine - has tons of menus of a bunch of great local restaurants, and a couple of great maps in the back.] In the room, still no map or schedule of hotel events - just another stern warning about reserving beach chairs (totally unnecessary in the off-season), a warning about your valuables, and a room service menu (finally something that makes me feel somewhat welcome and not scared!). We had to ask about the spa (no signs or map) - it's on the 2nd floor of the tower, in the gym. The massages ($85) and facial (free, with the special they were running) were AWESOME. The spa itself is nothing special, but the services were amazing.

The breakfast buffet is 7am - 11am was a good choice for our group - we could all meander down to the Sunset Bistro (head towards the beach, turn left - since you don't have a map, and there are no signs!) whenever we woke up and not have to wait around for everyone to get ready to go eat. They had lots of bread items, yogurt, fruit, a manned omelet/egg station (I asked for "very little oil" and they were happy to oblige), bacon, sausage, potatoes, french toast, pancakes. They sometimes had skim milk, but most days just whole. The coffee was good, they brought a little carafe to your table.

We ate lunch/snacks at Pure Beach Bar a few times - I liked everything I had - spinach & artichoke dip, truffle oil fries, salads, sandwiches, sliders. Loved the decor and atmosphere - the drinks were great too. My fave was the frozen Bahama Mama - yum!

Miscellaneous prices: $0.83/minute to make a local call in your room. $1.50/minute on your Verizon Cell Phone. $50/7 days of Wi-Fi (you get a log in that you can use on multiple devices (but not at one time) - we logged in on our ipad, iphone, and itouch at various times. I never could get my Droid X to connect. My Kindle magically connected without ever entering in any information... Internet was somewhat spotty, but it did work).

We had several sub-par concierge experiences:
1. Our group had decided we wanted to book a tour with Octopus and ABC Tours. I asked the concierge to help me book them. He refused, saying they only book tours with "De Palm" - something about "liability" (read: "they pay us"). Not really a concierge then, are you?
2. Later that week, my sis-in-law and I were looking at the menu book on the empty concierge desk, when the concierge came and sat down behind the desk, and started doing something on the computer. No "May I help you?" or anything. We asked her a few questions about the menus, which she reluctantly answered (not taking her eyes off her computer), not really being helpful in helping us make a choice.
3. Another member of our group was looking at a menu in the menu book another time that didn't have prices, and she asked the concierge if he could go online and print out the menu online so that she could see prices, and show the rest of our group. The concierge had to be walked through how to go to a restaurant's website. Really?

The "town" area of the high-rise hotels is the closest "town" to Divi Phoenix, not Oranjestad (can be confusing). To get to that area, you can walk along the road - about a mile to the first restaurant - Senor Frog's. Part of the path is unpaved dirt and not very well lit (street lights were not always functioning). My mother-in-law and their friends (in their 60s) did not like the walk in the heat, and took cabs the rest of the time ($6). You can also walk along the beach on a deck/brick path in front of the hotels and cut through the hotels to get to "town." Our group did easily walk to/from the Westin two nights - about 10 minute walk. My father-in-law (very athletic for 67), my hubby, sis-in-law, and I (in our 30s) walked to/from "town" several times (including in the heat of the day), no issues for us.

Another major issue with the Divi Phoenix - the fire alarm system, including the smoke detectors in every building, were NOT turned on. The alarms are Simplex, which my hubby sells, and he could tell they weren't turned on, since there was no intermittently flashing light. For a new hotel, this is downright frightening!

Overall, we liked the hotel (especially the rooms), the location, the layout, the lack of massive amounts of children, the food & drinks, and the fairly uncrowded beaches. There are a few things they could fix - the fire alarm system, the less-than-helpful concierges, the information/cards given at check in, but overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone going to Aruba.

6  Thank Htowngirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
2 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.7 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
1.4 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
1.1 km away
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!