New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Amazing - Can't Wait to go back (don't trust the negative reviews)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Toronto
“Amazing - Can't Wait to go back (don't trust the negative reviews)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Let me start off by saying any negative reviews you read are a lie! Every single word of the negative reviews is a lie and they are either negative people or competitors. I signed up to write a review just because I knew something had to be said about the negative ones. I can say that with all honesty and let me tell you I am one of the biggest critics out there and the RIU Palace in Aruba won me over. I was so impressed that on my last day in Aruba in the morning I sat in my suite looking up when I could come back.

My boyfriend and I traveled to Aruba from April 5th, 2012 – April 12, 2012 and we loved every minute of it. We are a young couple (aged 23 and 25) and we’re a little bit worried after the reviews and hearing Aruba was for an older crowd. We had also never been to a RIU and have been spoiled with high end 5 star hotels. Both of us were amazed and impressed by the RIU Palace in Aruba. (Keep in mind I said we were spoiled we are used to staying at The Reef and Cove at the Atlantis where all the celebrities stay and with that being said we both loved the RIU Palace and Aruba and rate it higher than the Atlantis for many reasons).

Lets talk rooms we had an ocean view suite with a Jacuzzi tub…the room was very spacious, always clean and comfy. We never got a bed topper and we found the beds very comfortable. The cleaning staff are amazing we came in one day while the maid was still in the room and she was mopping the floor (even though it wasn’t dirty). The cleaning staff at the RIU leave the room spotless and clean. They are also very trust worthy we brought a lap top and iPad and left the lap top out every day and it never was stolen so Aruba is extremely safe.

The food is amazing we ate at the Buffet and a la carte. I don’t understand why the negative reviewers said the food is terrible it was the best I have had at any five start all inclusive…even better than some of the restaurants at the Atlantis.

The staff at the RIU are extremely friendly and helpful. The staff and residents of Aruba made us want to come back with their wonderful spirits.

The beach and ocean are great…we never had a problem getting a chair. We also rented a jeep one day and toured the whole island which I highly recommend. The pool was also great and we would go back and forth from the beach to the pool.

Drinks are strong they definitely do not water down. Order the brown lady you will be in heaven I am going to attempt to make one at home :)

We spent a day at the spa which is also amazing and we recommend that if you are looking to hit up a spa in Aruba the one at the hotel is great!

The RIU Palace in Aruba is amazing and I cannot complain. My boyfriend and I loved it and can’t wait to go back. Whatever age you might be you will definitely love the RIU Palace in Aruba and find your self wanting to go back!

22 Thank BeachBarbie88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Polish first
on the lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

It took a bit of effort just to get to Aruba, but it was so worth it! We flew on Delta, and had to overnight in Atlanta on the way down. We found a Marriott near the airport with free, 24 hour shuttle service. A minor inconvenience is a small price to pay for a fabulous vacation!

We checked in to the Riu Palace Aruba and were given 2 rooms near the top floor, front and center to the ocean. In fact, our rooms were directly under the big red RIU logo at the top of the hotel. I took a fun photo http://tinyurl.com/7x4ccz5 of my dad standing on his balcony while I was standing down by the pool.

We really enjoyed this resort. It was true to the Riu “Palace” level of service and quality. The beach was fabulous. The water was clear, the sand was white, no seaweed. There is a pier just right of the Riu that De Palm tours launch their catamarans from. Do this tour! It was a lot of fun.

Dining at the Riu was delicious. Yes, you need to make reservations in the morning to dine in the specialty restaurants at night, but it only takes a few minutes and is worth the effort. We scheduled a dinner at the Steakhouse for my parents’ wedding anniversary. Service was flawless, and they topped the evening by bringing out a special anniversary cake for them. Nice touch. If you don’t have dinner reservations, the buffet will definitely satisfy.

I have helped several couples plan their destination weddings at the Riu Palace Aruba and they have all gone very, very well. The wedding coordinator is very helpful. One thing about marrying in Aruba, though; all legal weddings must take place in City Hall to be official. You can marry in City Hall, then have a celebration on the beach if you like.

We did a jeep island tour with De Palm Tours. It was a great way to get out and see different parts of the island. We stopped at the National Park, toured a cave, drove across the beach, then snorkeled at Baby Beach. We had a great day!

I used Sonny Binns for our private transfers and would higher recommend him. He was on time, friendly and reliable.

Aruba was very nice. We walked to some shopping areas and felt very comfortable. It was clean and everyone was friendly. It takes come effort to get to, especially from the Midwest, but it is worth doing at least once. One Happy Island!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ShellisTravel
Utica, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Great food, great pool, great beach! The Riu is also within walking distance to tons of shopping, other restaurants and bars. Aruba is a great place to vacation and we have stayed at the Riu 5 times, and will continue to stay there.

Room Tip: anything facing the pool
12 Thank g-squared9
North Aurora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

My (now) wife and I were looking at a ton of different places to spend our honeymoon and even though we read some fairly negative reviews, we chose the Riu Palace in Aruba. We could not be happier with our choice. The property is gorgeous. There are 5 restaurants onsite, 4 of which are awesome. If my wife wasn't pushing me to try all of them I would have been completely content visiting the abundant buffet which is available all the time. We actually ate at the italian restaurant two times during our stay.

The pool is truly amazing. I read reviews that said you needed to get down by the pool and reserve a seat by 630 am or you would have no place to sit. That is frankly, BS. We never got down to the pool until 10 am and never had a hard time finding a spot close to the pool bar. The drinks from the bar are fantastic as well. Toss the bartender or waitress a 10$ tip in the morning and your drinks will be plenty strong for the entire day. The pool area was very clean and the smiling faces of the staff were always ready to offer a drink (even if you didnt necessarily order one!) I also read that the "music was too loud". This again, is BS. There are a few times during the day (water aerobics, "crazy" games, dance lessons) that they turn the music up a bit, but it is a single amp/speaker that they tote around and it was NEVER annoyingly loud. The play some American Top 20, and mix in what appeared to be the same Spanish song, but the music was typically background music, at best.

We also did a few "excursions" during our stay. We rented ATV's on a guided tour to the natural pool and natural bridge. The ATV tour is very off-road for a decent portion. My wife and I decided on separate machines because I wanted to go nuts. She had a very difficult time navigating the terrain and opted to hop on the back of my ATV for the return trip. I thought it was very fun. We also went to the De Palm Island for Snuba. Snuba, seriously was amazing. I have snorkeled before, but the Snuba adventure, lead by TJ was one of the coolest things I've ever done. If you don't have kids and are tempted to go to the De Palm islands, dont go, unless you are going specifically for Snuba. The island is basically a bar, big kids water park (with some parents watching their kids), the Snuba & Snorkel place and the Banana boat rides. If you don't have kids and arent interested in Snuba, dont bother. We also went on the Kukoo Kunuku AKA "Crazy Bus" tour. I was very skeptical of this at first, but when we got in, people were obviously well on their way to being intoxicated and we ended up meeting some really fun people and having a great time. Gerla (Mama) was a fantastic, albeit creepy tour guide and made sure that we were all having a fun time. We did dinner with the Kukoo Kunuku tour and it was fine, nothing special other than they claimed that we were eating at Bruce Lee's cousin's house.

The ONLY negative thing (and I feel like a schmuck for even mentioning it) was that our room, Junior Suite, 7th floor facing the pool smelled a bit of mildew. The room was definitely remodeled however, and looked and felt clean. We are not the "picky" type so-to-speak, so we just opened the front door and the awesome huge balcony sliding glass door and a 40 mph constant breeze would blast through the hotel room quickly airing it out. Really, not a huge deal at all. I'd be willing to bet that if we had complained, the staff would have gotten us another room. The beers in the room were tasty, but I was more into the serve-yourself Vodka and sprite combination available hanging on the wall above the refrigerator. I read reviews that the bed was hard, and yes, it was until the first night we went out. When we returned, the nightly turn-down service had placed two huge foam mattress toppers on top of the mattress and after that, the bed as as comfortable as my $4,000 bed at home!

Overall, I am very satisfied by choosing the Riu Palace for our honeymoon. It was a fantastic time and I'd recommend it to anyone for a vacation, couples group vacation or honeymoon!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a junior (at least suite) if you plan to be in your room for any...
6 Thank Chris P
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Good: The grounds, beach, and pool were very nice. Staff was very attentive and helpful. The food was excellent.

Opportunities: If guests have an excursion scheduled, allow them to make reservations prior to leaving the hotel. If a couple is celebrating their honeymoon, the hotel/resort should do something to acknowledge their special day. Where and how they celebrated their honeymoon will be a memory forever…I would hope a hotel/resort would want them to tell the story of how special they felt during their honeymoon at that hotel/resort.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of both the pool and ocean work well, but please note; you will hear the noise and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple