“Great spot!”

Playa Linda Beach Resort
Cape Cod
“Great spot!”
Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

This was our 6th trip to Aruba and our first time at the Playa Linda. We've stayed at the Radisson to the Holiday Inn and in between and this is our new favorite place! It's such an affordable place to stay especially with children and a large group. There are different room options for all. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a huge wrap around balcony with the best view we've ever had. Having the kitchens was an awesome way to save some money. It was stocked with every appliance you could think of....

We spent most of our time at the beach but the kids loved the kiddie pool. The beach palapa situation is probably our only complaint and to be fair, it's an issue at every hotel we've stayed at except for the Radisson (they do it better than the rest do). You have to be down at a palapa at 6 am. There were people out there holding theirs at 4:30! By 7am most of the huts are gone. If you don't get a hut, there is no shade and if you have kids, you need shade! On the positive side, they do have free coffee!

The location of the hotel is great. It's right across the street from all the shops and restaurants. There is free wifi in the lobby and on the outside benches. The drinks at the bars are good and happy hour is noon til 4....Loved this spot and we will return.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laurem29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Derry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Just came back from the Playa Linda and it was my first trip to Aruba. I would so go back again! I rented the room from a friend of mine who owns there. It was a one bedroom suite. The room was really a small apartment with a full kitchen, living room and private deck. It slept all five of us pretty comfortably. The room was lovely but smelled of mold, my only room complaint. I think they needed to change the air conditioning filters. We just kept the windows open most of the time because the wind off the ocean was so awesome anyway. The staff was friendly and professional. The Italian restaurant on site was a bit pricey but the food was great! The location is awesome. Right smack in the middle of everything. There is no on site casino or swim up bar but we liked that because it made things more quiet and family friendly. There are plenty of those right next door. Everything is very convenient there and everyone is very easygoing. It's not so upscale as some of the other hotels there but also much less uptight and pretentious. We really liked it a lot and would definitely go back again. Had the time of our lives! I love Aruba!

Room Tip: Second floor and up rooms have good views. First floor rooms are convenient to the pool but louder.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank KellysellsRE4u
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 May 2012

From the beginning...
The flight was direct... great. Very fast through the airport to Aruba and home from Aruba. The resort is beautiful and has a wonderful beach. We stayed on the 7th floor in a 2 bedroom suite and the view of the beach, ocean and coast were amazing. I would strongly recommend staying on a higher floor since the views are unmatched. Also we had a huge wrap around balcony and a smaller one ajoining the master bedroom. We unfortunately did not eat at any of the hotel restaurants, but heard they were all good. One day we did the Jolly pirates boat trip. It was really nice. We got to snorkel at a sunken ship and go off a rope swing. Also the food was fantastic on the Jolly Pirate ship. Another day we rented an ATV for 8 hours and took a tour around the island. We stopped at the natural bridge and the natural pool. Both were amazing. The natural pool had so many tropical fish. I would recommend bring snorkel gear and water shoes for this type of excusion. Also you will need to stop at the park office and purchase a wristband to visit the natural pool since it is a park. There were also some caves to explore near the natural pool, but we didn't have the time to check them out. Heard they were great though. Lastly, the people that live on Aruba are so nice and willing to help you find your way or just to plain old please you. Aruba is a great place to explore on your own if you get the chance. Tour groups are nice, but very large groups and it kinda ruins the peace and serenity of the places you will visit. I would definitely return to Playa Linda and Aruba.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors give a spectacular view of everything
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cvyper304
US
Reviewed 13 April 2012

During our recent visit to Aruba we stayed at the Playa Linda and the Marriott Surf Club. My review for the Surf Club is listed below. This is a smaller resort that has been completely updated. A HUGE advantage to this place is that you can actually get a place on the beach without having to put your tag on it early in the morning (like the Marriott). The majority of the rooms have an excellent view of the ocean. It is located right in the middle of the clubs and places to eat on Palm Beach (unlike the Marriott resorts). I will return to this resort if I come to Aruba again. The front desk staff seemed a bit impatient at times but they were very efficient.

Subject: Marriott Surf Club, Aruba Review

I have stayed at a number of Marriott resorts through the years and I am sad to say this one provided the worse experience I have ever had.

We were originally placed in a unit with no view and requested a pool view if possible. Our initial room had a broken safe, paint peeling off the wall by the A/C vent (really), and the door stuck so badly I had to "bump" it with my foot each time we entered the room. After 2 days they said they had an alternate room for us and thanked us for leaving our original room early so they could get us into our new room by the early afternoon. We left at 8:30 AM and got back at 4:30 PM and our room was not only not ready, but we did not have a room. On top of that we had no access to our luggage and got to sit by the pool with nothing waiting for a response from the front desk.

The only reason I did not rate this visit as terrible is due to an employee named Jasmine who actually seemed to know what she was doing. You (Marriott HQ) should be proud of her as she is the only reason I am not really upset. We finally got a room in the early evening after we spent another 2 hours waiting by the pool. This type of service is what you might expect for a "budget basement" motel, not a hotel advertising there basic rooms at $500/night.

The resort is far too large for the amount of beach frontage available. Getting a place on the beach was so difficult that we just stayed with our friends at Playa Linda as they were able to get water front spots with little effort.

The good side would be if you have kids. There is a lot of kids there and lots of activities for them. This sort of back-fired on us when my wife got sick and had to spend two days in the room. Some kid(s) were doing and the "knock and run" on our door periodically throughout the day. I had to knock on doors up and down the hallway and ask parents to curtail this activity just in case their kids were involved. This was not the most pleasant week we have had on a vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank wildbio
Killingworth, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Full disclosure first -- This was our first trip to Aruba (although we have traveled to the Caribbean extensively). Playa Linda is not the type of place we would choose for ourselves. We were here with extended family for a family vacation. We normally avoid a large hotel atmosphere. Some of the things we did not like about Playa Linda are somewhat inevitable in a large hotel of this style -- pool music blaring from 11:00AM on, a loud beach bar with happy hour karaoke, a crowded beach and hotel style rooms.

The hallways were depressingly barrack-like, and our studio room was very plain in decor. However, we spent very little time in our room so this was not too awful. There is a safe in the room, a hair dryer, soap and shampoo in the shower. The beds were actually pretty comfortable -- at least I didn't have any trouble sleeping.

Wifi access was HORRIBLE. I am accustomed to free wifi, so it was bad enough to have to purchase a $35 card for the week with a 14 digit access code. But there is not access from every room, so I would have to roam the lobby to get a signal. I started forgetting about the card and sitting on the benches at the entrance to log onto the free wifi which was inconsistent at best, but I found it through "Funky Monkey Free Surfing" and "SETAR".

The other wildly crazy part was what I call the "Chickee Wars" -- the maneuvering to claim one of the thatched huts on the beach. Getting a front row chickee was very important to my family. For that, people were staking spots at 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning and literally sitting in a chair (the loungers are locked up at night) until the assignment of chickees at 6:00AM. Luckily there were people in my family who took on this job, because I would have refused to participate in such nonsense. After 6, they go around with the loungers, and it is customary to tip $1 per chair. The staff is great -- in particular Kurt and Santiago. The staff at the front desk was also very nice.

One high point was the spa. I had a lovely massage. The spa itself was calming, and the people were very friendly and competent. Many services were offered.

There is a Dunkin Donuts right on the beach. Be aware that they are cash only and do not accept $50 or $100 bills. The front desk will make change for the large bills. We also took a liking to Scott's Brats right on the beach for breakfast sandwiches.

Despite the crowds, the beach sand itself is lovely, and the water is very nice. There are lots of activities -- jet skiing, tubing, snorkeling. The diving is terrible. I didn't bother to go. My husband and kids tried it, and confirmed that it was not very good (compared to Bonaire, Caymans, Belize, Dominica -- even St. John has better diving).

Playa Linda is surrounded by other large hotels, restaurants galore, clubs, stores -- even a large mall or two. We did manage to get away on several occasions to the National Park Arikok -- which I will write about separately, and highly recommend as a way to escape the bustle of the beach area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool and ocean -- then you'll have more light and a chance to see...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family