“A few errors but mostly excellent.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kiviks Hotell

Kiviks Hotell
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kivik
Kalmar, Sweden
“A few errors but mostly excellent.”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My husband and I arrived here on a Wednesday night, we had booked the romantic package and when we arrived at our room, it was big, nicely furnitured and very welcoming with the bath robes and slippers laid out on the bed and a big tray of fruits, chocolate and a small bottle of cava in a wine cooler, right next to a freshly picked bouquet of flowers! Nice!

However - the negative bits:
The jacuzzi for two did not work. They explained, when we asked, that it was going to be fixed later but when I questioned about the stay before booking, they assured me that it WOULD be fixed when we arrived. Now... Call me boring - but sitting in a chair watching your spouse take a bubble bath isn't my idea of romantic and it was stricly a one-person-bath tub. (Not really a jacuzzi, but a bubble bath. In case you're picky.)
We also didn't get a double bed in our double room, but two separate beds placed together. Not really the ideal for a couple on a romantic trip - but ok, we survived. ;)

The room was clean and very spacious, but the balcony hadn't been cleaned as there was a cigar butt and a few matches on the table. (Not in a tray or anything. Pretty gross - which isn't the personels fault of course.)
There was also a bouquet of flowers in the hallway that had gone bad. Not a big thing, but a detail that disturbed the otherwise clean and neat impression.

Now, the massage was fab. The SPA-lady was amazingly sweet and skillful. I'd recommend a massage to anyone, and I am really wanting to go back for another SPA visit.
The restaurant staff were amazing. We asked if we could sit outside - and they made a table with linens and all, just for us - and the service was impeccable!
Very helpful and kind staff, who seemed to have all the time in the world for us and our questions.
Good food too - although it was on the salty side for me. (I'm a vegetarian and it's something I'm used to, as it seems to be tricky for a lot of chefs to get the nice taste without tons of salt. *smiles*)
My DH however, enjoyed every last bite of his (more traditional) food. And the apple pie was deeeelicious!

The hotel wasn't as close to the sea as I was lead to believe, and it's a rather steep hill (don't wear high heels unless you're a brilliant balance artist) but it's a very pleasant walk so it's no big deal. Also - there's a lot to see near by. The statue of Fritiof Nilsson Piraten for one. And don't miss Buhre's and their fab smoked fish!

I also recommend that you ask for the hotel rooms with the sea view balcony, as they were amazingly nice, big and the balconies are a great addition to them. Just be aware that the dividers between the balconies doesn't stretch all the way between them - there are gaps so you won't be as secluded as you might like.

Anyhow - all in all, I liked this place a lot and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mikza

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stockholm
Reviewed 31 August 2009

It's too expensive. We paid 130 euro for one night in the smallest room I've ever stayed in. There was hardly any room for our suitcase and the shower was so small that the shower curtain clung to your body when taking a shower. Our bathroom wasn't properly cleaned either: the wall next to the toilet had a spray-stain all over it from something liquid and orange. Might it be pee? The hotel cleaned it after we talked to the reception, but still... And the little free tube of body lotion was half-empty, i.e. used by some other guest before us.

Although the beds were comfortable, we were awoken at 7 am because of a truck loading off some goods right outside our window. So... This stay was unfortunately not so relaxing. Nor clean.

Too expensive.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kivik
14.0 km away
1.1 km away
Vitemolla Badhotell
Vitemolla Badhotell
#2 of 15 in Kivik

Been to Kiviks Hotell? Share your experiences!