The Old Rectory B&B(Kessingland)
1,433 results
All reviewsfish and chip shopoutdoor poolevening entertainmentsecurity staffkessingland beach holiday parksun holidayamusement arcadegreat yarmouthgreat parksailors homeplatinum caravanchildren's entertainmentcentral heatingstatic caravanon site shopfamily holidayparty dances
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We stayed at Kessingland Beach over the Easter weekend from Friday 30th March to Monday 2nd April, my friend booked 2 caravans and there we 14 of us booked in the caravans where lovely and a nice club house, my reason for writing is about the bar and the restaurant and about our disappointment with the service that was appalling we had to wait ages for our food after we were told that we had to book a table and pre book our meals and still we had to wait over an hour for our food, altogether we was in the restaurant for 3 hours, some of us ordered curry and were never told it was a buffet style, and the food was awful I had the chicken korma which was awful runny no flavour did not even look like a korma, there was not enough staff for the amount of people eating in the restaurant, no one seemed to know what they were doing and the staff do not seem to have had any training on customer service, we were not the only ones complaining, we had to ask for cutlery. we also brought the pitchers of cocktails that were £12.95 on the menu but was charges each time £15.95 only to be told that was the price last season and that they had not been changed as yet, that is not acceptable, the queue at the bar in the showroom in the evening was very long why were there not enough staff knowing that Easter would be a busy time and the first big event of the season.

our other complaint about food was the chip shop I know that it is lovely to have your food freshly cooked but we queued for an hour they were cooking individually which is nice but having a shop full of customers waiting an hour is not good customer service.

We only ate in the restaurant once and all said never again the food was awful the customer service appalling, unfortunately we will not be returning to this site very disappointed in our first experience with Hoseason.

3  Thank malandkim
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Interesting start to our weekend in that after 2hrs of ordering food, on Good Friday, it hadn't arrived and then woke the next morning to no hot water or heating as both gas bottles were empty - but the staff were lovely and we had the gas replaced within minutes of phoning. Caravan, and the park, was beautifully clean & quiet. Had a lovely takeaway from the chippy - probably best chips we've ever had. Pool was lovely and warm and having an adult only spa bath was great! despite the long wait for food Friday we decided to attempt the restaurant Sunday lunch time and meal arrived within 30mins - all was lovely. I like that they now offer table service too.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We hired a 'Robin' caravan for a 3 night stay. The caravan was clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, we arrived in wet, cold weather but the fan heaters, gas fire (plus X 2 extra blankets, hot water bottles and sleeping bags brought from home) were not enough to keep us warm. We're fairly hardened campers (tent) but I haven't been this cold in a caravan for 20+ years. Go prepared.

We were quite a large group (3 families X 4) and upon arrival we approached (The Boathouse Bar & Restaurant) at around 5pm to enquire if we could book a table. A table was booked for 7.30 and were advised to hand in our food order at 7pm and then come back to be seated at 7.30pm. Fair enough. Upon our return at 7pm, we placed our food order and were told that they were running behind and to come back at 8pm. They could not indicate how soon after 8pm we would eat but we appreciated their honesty at this stage and returned at 8pm. We found a seat and advised a member of staff we were the party of 12 for the pre-booked meal. At around 8.15pm we approached a member of staff to enquire how long we would have to wait. She went to check with the kitchen and then avoided us. We approached the bar and made another enquiry and were told that because we had not been taken to our seats by a member of staff (although we did check in with staff at 8pm), this is why our food was late. We waited until 9pm. By this time, we became aware that several other customers had received similar service. In fact, another large group were still waiting for their meals and they had been there since around (they told us) 6pm.

At this point, it became evident we were not gong to receive our food anytime soon, no one had reported back to us with a timescale and having 6 children to feed we left the restaurant.

The front of house staff, bar staff, waiters etc. were all very polite and we felt they had been put in a very difficult situation. We could see staff were being confronted by dissatisfied customers. In fact we saw security staff come and help clear tables so it was obvious they were short staff or struggling. It wasn't that they were unwilling to help, they were just not equipped to actually help, nor were they led by strong management, who appeared to passively deal with customer complaints and continually allow further customers to be seated whilst they couldn't honour the pre-booked tables.

I did go to main reception that night to complain but they were closed. The next day I deliberated what I should do and whether to report to main reception, so they were aware for future customers or to report to management. However, I decided there was nothing they could say to remedy the situation from the previous night, we'd just learned a hard lesson and hopefully this review will be seen and will enable them to reflect on their service they proudly advertise under their facilities.

I could not recommend this restaurant as they are unable to deliver.

The weather was unfortunate and I would have given 4* for value for money, excellent location, and very helpful reception staff but the restaurant service meant I can only bring myself to give it 3*, and that's generous.

Room Tip: Choose caravans with better heating facilities.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank blowers
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We have just moved to another holiday Park from their. We were staying in s chalet and it was freezing. They offered to move us to a caravan but had none available. The chalet wasquite tin down. The entertainment was mediocre. There was nothing fir little children and the entertainers just kept looking at their watches all the time. We paid for a chocolate tea party fir our 4 tear old and the games wee only aimed at older children. They didn't give instructions on how to play. We are now at Hemsby beach and it is a million times better. This was thanks to Hoesseasons who rhansfered free of charge.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

I stayed on Kessingland Holiday Park in our camper van with my partner and our dog. The park was clean and tidy and the staff were very helpful. I would deffinatly recommend this Park and all it's facilities and I would happily use it again.

Stayed: April 2017