Magic Reef Bungalows
USD 323
USD 311
  • Breakfast included
Aro'a Beachside Inn(Arorangi)(Great Value!)
USD 174
USD 168
  • Breakfast included
The Black Pearl at Puaikura(Arorangi)(Great Value!)
USD 168
  • Pool
The Edgewater Resort & Spa(Arorangi)(Great Value!)
Aroa Kainga(Arorangi)
The Reef Motel(Arorangi)
  • Beachfront
All reviewssimon and angelaoutdoor bathroomabsolute beachfrontfour poster bedgrace annwaterline restaurantspacious bungalowsfruit platter on arrivalkiwi ownersthe beanperfect hostsour honeymoonwonderful poolcross islandeither directioncook islandssound of the waves
Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

I wasn't actually staying at this hotel
But I went there for their yoga class ( amazing ) and when I was walking back on the beach I tripped on a rock and broke my toe, I went to the staff for help and they could not of been any better! They were so kind and helpful, letting me use their phone, their shower, medical kit and even giving me a lift back to my hostel! I wasn't expecting much help as I wasn't staying with them but they went above and beyond, would definitely stay here next time / recommend it!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2018

Words can’t describe how happy we were with our stay at Magic Reef. We left feeling like we had made lifelong friends and family...like we were given a big warm tropical hug....

Our visit started with Amy picking us up at the airport. We were so excited to meet the new owners of this gorgeous place! And Amy did not disappoint. WIth her big smile, her friendly greeting, her upbeat energetic attitude...how much better can you get than Amy. Throughout our stay we got to know Amy and her family. Let me tell you, this woman is amazing! She was so positive and accommodating and fun and has a great sense of humour. We loved her! She is rocking her new role at Magic Reef! I am proud to now call her and her husband, friends!

We were fortunate to meet Amy’s grandfather also, he kindly brought a huge bunch of bananas he grew in his yard. They were hung by the front office for all guests to enjoy. One day my son’s girlfriend got way too much sun...Amy arranged for her grandfather to bring us some aloe Vera from his yard. I could not believe the kindness and generosity of Amy and her family!

The resort is absolutely stunning...you can’t put into words how gorgeous it is! The grounds are just incredible, even on our last day we were finding flowers we hadn’t noticed on earlier days. Jing does incredible work around the property and is such a sweet kind nice man. We loved taking time to talk to Jing...this man takes real pride in what he does! He was so helpful to us, even helped my husband find some firewood for a bonfire on the beach, which we did twice. Can you say AMAZING!

Our bungalow was absolutely perfect. It’s not fancy, but so South Pacific, and absolutely perfect and comfortable. And so CLEAN! I watched them clean our bungalow and they don’t miss a thing. On our last day, I had forgotten something in my bungalow after we checked out. I went into our bungalow to find that they empty out every cupboard in the kitchen, the cutlery drawers etc and wash everything and wipe down all the cabinets inside and out...after each guest!

The outdoor shower/bathroom...we have stayed at Pacific Resort in Aitutaki and somehow this shower beats that hands down. We could not really figure out what made this outdoor bathroom so amazing, but we all loved it (we were a group of 6 people). Everyone said they were showering 2-3 times a day!!! They have a rainhead as well as a handheld shower head...and there is never a shortage of hot water and good water pressure too!

Our bed felt hard at first, but it was so comfortable! We slept so good every single night. Next time I visit the island I plan to buy a Tivaevae, which every bungalow at Magic Reef has one on the bed. They are so soft, even my son asked if we could get one for his room at home!

No review about Magic Reef can be written without mention of lovely Grace Ann! She seems to do a lot around there. Welcoming guests, cleaning their rooms, stocking their rooms with welcome fruit etc etc. She is absolutely the most lovely person I think we have ever met. She always had the biggest smile, the cutest giggle and she runs nearly everywhere she goes. You could hear her coming in her flip flops - so adorable! She really was such a big part of our stay.

Nancy at the front office was always so helpful also, she knows everything about the island and was always very helpful. And Rowella, she must be 8 months pregnant...man that girl works hard! She was always out helping Jing with the grounds, cleaning rooms, scrubbing the bean bag chairs, pressure washing the furniture outside, etc etc.

While we were there for 2 weeks I watched Jing transplanting plants in the garden, start a bonsai tree, trim trees for winter, pressure wash all the outdoor furniture, pressure wash the decks, pressure wash the entry driveway, clean the pool, clean the exteriors of the bungalows, clean the Magic Reef vehicle...let me tell you, this place is meticulous!

While the resort is under new ownership, it feels like they didn’t skip a beat. Amy is open to advice and suggestions for change/improvement and I know she has plans to improve Magic Reef even more... Amy has gone out of her way to post some suggestions for “things to do” and things not to miss, arrange for Ei making classes for her guests, and has plans for bonfires on the beach on certain nights etc.

What I can’t put into words is the warmth and comfort that we felt while at Magic Reef. It’s the people there...they just make you feel happy and joyful. And oh so grateful!

Magic Reef is so quiet and peaceful at night, it’s absolutely breathtaking. What astounded me was it was so quiet but you could also visit with other guests and for some reason, the noise did not travel to the bungalows. We ended up getting to know 3 other couples from all over the world. By the end of our trip, we felt like we had made such good friends. And one person said a very powerful thing “only good people stay here”... everyone was very quiet, private, but friendly. We went for a few dinners with fellow guests and hung in the pool and enjoyed happy hours on the beach together, but they also could sit on their patio in silence reading if they wanted to. It’s such a comfortable place...where you can have as much company or quiet as you want. It’s just perfect!

While we were there, Magic Reef rescued a beach dog who loved to hang out at Magic Reef. They named him Magic :). He is the most beautiful amazing dog. If you like dogs, he will lay quietly by your side while you read on your deck or relax by the pool. He loves going to the beach to try to catch fish. He will accompany you quietly and loyally. He often came to visit us in the evenings and on a few stormy nights we offered him some comfort and care, the storms were big! Magic loves dog food and treats, so if you are at Magic Reef and love dogs, he is the PERFECT companion! I encouraged Magic Reef to start a dog food fund for Magic after I went to CITC to buy dog food...man it’s expensive on the island! So if you have spare change, please consider donating it to Magic’s dog food fund...

We have visited Raro twice now. I can honestly say that we will NEVER stay anywhere else. We will also never consider staying anywhere else. We left Magic Reef with friends in Amy (and family), Grace Ann, Jing, Nancy and Rowella. We could not have asked for anything else for our vacation...the most beautiful setting, the most beautiful people, on the most beautiful island...

Thank you friends! See you soon!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous! All have great views!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jocjayhay_9
Amy K, Manager at Magic Reef Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautiful review. You and your family/friends strike me as the type of people that will make friends wherever you go! We loved having you stay here and for all your suggestions and daily chats in the office. We are so happy that you are now part of our Magic Reef family and look forward to seeing you all again at some stage (soon hopefully).

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Magic Reef is our idea of the perfect South Pacific getaway. The bungalow had the right balance of a rustic outer appearance mixed with modern appliances, a super comfortable bed, and the wonderful shower and bath set-up. We selected an Absolute Beach Front unit and it's well worth the added expense. There is nothing like stepping out on your private porch and enjoying a morning cup of coffee or an evening drink with nothing between you and the waves breaking on the reef except a few short yards of sandy beach and a couple coconut palms. A really nice fruit/cereal/baked goods welcome breakfast was waiting for us on arrival and set the tone for a great stay. The entire resort is adults-only but not a party scene which means it's quiet and easy to relax. The beach is walk-able and there are nice restaurants/bars a short distance in either direction. There may be a few folks walking by over the course of the day but the location is pleasantly private. A small local market is also an easy walk away in case you need to pick up any essentials. The friendly staff at Magic Reef are super helpful in case you need anything which, for us anyway, wasn't much. The resort's transportation arrangements to and from the airport were easy and smooth and only added to the positive experience at Magic Reef. We hope to return to Rarotonga at some point and can't envision staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: To us the Absolute Beach Front bungalow was well worth the added expense as was the early check-in and late check-out.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John L
Amy K, Manager at Magic Reef Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Kia Manuia

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Amy and her family are new owners at Magic Reef and provided an exceptional experience for us. From the beautiful setting, hand-crafted bungalows, quiet kid-free retreat to the amazing outdoor shower and tub, we felt relaxed, rejuvenated and
pampered during our stay. We will be back!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CeeBeeAuckland
Amy K, Manager at Magic Reef Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you for your review! we look forward to welcoming you back to Magic Reef :) Be sure to contact us directly for your next booking. Kia Manuia, Amy and team

Reviewed 1 March 2018

Staff were absolutely accommodating! Fruit platter on arrival was amazing. Accommodation itself was truly fitting for the setting we were in. Outdoor shower was a perfect touch to the bungalow. Communal areas were very tidy and well set out! Restaurants and shops were in walking distance and our holiday was just the way we had planned...

Room Tip: No difference between the cheaper bungalows compared to the more expensive ones.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple