“Great Day Hike!”

Book In Advance
More Info
USD 511.00*
and up
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las Vegas: Grand...
More attraction details
Owner description: Angel's Landing is one of Zion's most spectular scenic outlooks; it can be reached only by a very demanding hike on the West Rim Trail.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

What a phenomenal day hike - absolutely breathtaking views! My wife and I hiked up with our two boys (11 and 12 years old) whom are both experienced backpacking in the mountains.

Given the reviews, we were ready to possibly turn-around at Scout’s Landing if it looked too crazy. We made sure that both boys knew that it was okay to turn-around if they weren’t ready to finish the remainder of hike.

After arriving at the landing, everyone was still up for making the rest of the journey. We decided my wife would take the lead, boys in the middle, and myself in the anchor-position (just in case something unexpected occurred).

Like others have mentioned, not a hike you want to do if you have any fear or phobia of heights. Narrow trail at times and can definitely be crowded. We started our hike around 10am and took us 3 1/2 hours round-trip (we spent about 30 minutes relaxing on the summit).

In terms of possible improvements, it would be great if park management added verbiage to their signs regarding protocol of using the chains. Instead of a free-for-all, groups going up or down should take turns per chain segment and be patient. I know it seems like common sense, however, common sense seems to be hard to find sometimes these days.

Lastly, just have to mention a pet-peeve. There were several different groups that were blaring music on speaker(s) on the trail. If you want to listen to music during your hike, that’s fine, just wear your headphones! Not everyone wants to listen to your music!

Great hike, just remember to take your time and be patient!

Safe travels!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,527)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"amazing views"
in 101 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I was terrified of this hike based on reviews I had read and videos I had watched. While nothing I saw was inaccurate, they can add up to psych a person out of experiencing this amazing journey. I only went because my love for my son was bigger than the fear and the tears I had in not wanting to do it, and this was a bucket list item for him. It is a hard, long hike, but everything along the way forces you to focus so the "scariness" isn't constantly on the mind. Number one advice - GO EARLY. The scariest part of the trek is going back down and navigating through all the people. Number two advice - bring plenty of water and a snack but not your walking sticks. It is hot and pretty physical. We brought hiking sticks for me but they were completely in the way during the last ascent and chain climbing. Number three - take breaks. It was definitely doable for this moderately in shape and slightly overweight person since I stopped when I needed a breather. I'm not afraid of heights but I am afraid of falling, so I was terrified at the start and on some of the sketchy parts of the descent. Again, staying focused can diminish the fear and make the goal a reality. Nothing felt better than finishing the last Wiggle and realizing why so many people are able to make the trek every day. It is safe enough for thousands to complete, it's safe enough for you.

5  Thank Craig O
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We made it up to the start of the chains at Scout Lookout with 2 seven year olds. They loved it even if it is hard work. Bring some snacks and take your time. We started really early to avoid the large crowds during Spring Break. We had the trail to ourselves on the way up but the crowds coming up a couple hours later were much larger.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Angel’s Landing is truly amazing. Absolutely worth the hike up to the top. I took my family of seven; five kids from 19 to 10 years old. The views are incredible all along the hike. Be prepared and take it seriously. It’s dangerous in some spots, especially if it’s crowded. Bring lots of water and take your time. I took my 10 year old daughter and felt relatively safe but watch your kids closely if you take them.

2  Thank Phil M
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018

This hike is not the most difficult one out there, but it is one of the best hikes I have ever done. The first section meanders along the river and is very mellow. Then it starts some serious climbing up the side of the canyon wall. Great views, but it is a workout. At the end of the insane switch back (called Walter's Wiggles) is a rest area or the end for those who do not want to venture out onto the Landing. The last part of the hike, up the ridge with drops on both sides and chains to hang on to is undescribable. I was pretty nervous at first, but I found if I concentrated on my footing and not walking on site seeing at the same time, it was all good. There are traffic jams and stupid people, so bring your patience, because at the top it is all worth it. It is also a lot more windy and a lot more cold than at the bottom of the canyon, so be prepared for that.